So what do you do with player housing?

JimG

This is a completely sincere question. I'm curious. I would have been fine without player housing being added, but I wasn't opposed to it either, as I know a lot of people wanted it. My only other MMO experience is with CoH and they had bases that you could build which were pretty cool. I basically only used mine for common inventory storage for my alts, crafting, and utilitarian type purposes like that. Is there some other appealing use to player housing? Do people spend hours hanging out in their player housing and chatting with other people inside the house? I'm not in a guild and don't play with real-life friends on here so I'm not sure if that's what you guys do. As an alt-a-holic, I will definitely use it for the legacy bank and, that alone, makes it worthwhile for me. But what do you guys do with player housing and how do you get that much use of it from a social standpoint? Curious why some people so desperately desired player housing.

This is a completely sincere question. I'm curious. I would have been fine without player housing being added, but I wasn't opposed to it either, as I know a lot of people wanted it. My only other MMO experience is with CoH and they had bases that you could build which were pretty cool. I basically only used mine for common inventory storage for my alts, crafting, and utilitarian type purposes like that. Is there some other appealing use to player housing? Do people spend hours hanging out in their player housing and chatting with other people inside the house? I'm not in a guild and don't play with real-life friends on here so I'm not sure if that's what you guys do. As an alt-a-holic, I will definitely use it for the legacy bank and, that alone, makes it worthwhile for me. But what do you guys do with player housing and how do you get that much use of it from a social standpoint? Curious why some people so desperately desired player housing.

I see it as a form of sculpting. Creating the perfect image of 'home' to fit each character.

plus, it gives me something to do other than Operations and FPs and making credits.

I see it as a form of sculpting. Creating the perfect image of 'home' to fit each character.

Well, that part of it, I definitely get. Designing the base in CoH was pretty fun, but it was just 1 base for all my alts. If we're getting 2 or more houses per character here, I imagine I won't be spending too much design time on the housing for any characters other than my main on each faction.

Well, that part of it, I definitely get. Designing the base in CoH was pretty fun, but it was just 1 base for all my alts. If we're getting 2 or more houses per character here, I imagine I won't be spending too much design time on the housing for any characters other than my main on each faction.

I think the multiple worlds is about providing options more than it is about intending for most people to fully develop multiple houses on each character.

I fully intend to have my Inquisitor's "Stronghold" be on DK, without any mind paid to Nar Shaddaa, but my Bounty Hunter is probably going to be the exact opposite.

Who knows though, if the customization ends up being really addictive or fun, maybe I'll end up fully customizing a couple on each. (Now that I think about it, my Inquisitor's cult on NarS was one of my favorite parts of his story...)

Edited by DarthDymond

Well at the beginning, I imagine their might be a fairly lucrative crafting opportunity to rake in the credits with some of the stuff they intend to add to the utility of crafters before the market crashes.

Yeah, I caught that too. The crafting component is very cool and it's about time that crafting got a boost. I definitely plan on trying to horn in on the crafting marketing for that too.

I get the design appeal and the draw of utilitarian features like crafting and legacy banks. But I saw a thread where some people were talking about how they are going to throw a fit if it's instanced housing vs. persistent housing. Like I said, I don't have much experience with other MMOs so I don't know what all people do with housing there and why that would matter? Do people spend significant time roaming in and out of other people's houses? Invite over random people to "check out" their house? Hang out in their "neighborhood"? Throw block parties? lol. They could have added customizable features and legacy banks to our ships. What makes player housing so different than the ship that actual housing was vital for some people apart from the ship?

Who cares!

this is what was important to me "Legacy Stronghold Storage – Unlock access to a new type of storage that is shared across your entire Legacy!"

I would like to say a huge thank you to all involved, this is the one thing I have wanted most since I started playing. Again a big thank you to all involved in making this possible as I know a legacy bank is something that a lot of players have been asking for.

As for the strongholds, well not sure but its not like anyone has to do this, same as with starfighter, I have never played and never intend to, others enjoy it and I am sure the housing is also going to be popular with some more than others. Its not like its costing us any extra. So I am happy with this. At lest with the legacy bank I will have some use for it.

Me happy. :D

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Who cares!

this is what was important to me "Legacy Stronghold Storage – Unlock access to a new type of storage that is shared across your entire Legacy!"

I would like to say a huge thank you to all involved, this is the one thing I have wanted most since I started playing. Again a big thank you to all involved in making this possible as I know a legacy bank is something that a lot of players have been asking for.

As for the strongholds, well not sure but its not like anyone has to do this, same as with starfighter, I have never played and never intend to, others enjoy it and I am sure the housing is also going to be popular with some more than others. Its not like its costing us any extra. So I am happy with this. At lest with the legacy bank I will have some use for it.

Me happy. :D

Gotta love the people who take the time to read (maybe?) a thread and post and their first comment is "who cares"......oh, the irony. I can tell you're a little wound up and in your excitement you didn't really read what was posted. Legacy banks could be put on ships....we didn't need player housing just to get legacy banks. This isn't a complaint thread or I don't want this feature thread so your "it's not like anyone has to do this" and "it's not like it's costing us any extra" comments are completely irrelevant. I'm asking the people who really, really wanted player housing (which apparently isn't you by your comments) what they do with player housing besides things like decorating or using it for storage. Those are things that could have been done with player ships. There must be some social aspect or something that they do with this feature that made it so important to them to have this in addition to player ships. I haven't really played other MMOs much and player housing is apparently a big feature in some other MMOs so there must be something there. The point of this thread is to ask those people what motivated their desire for player housing and gain some insight.

well my main question is whether we'll have a fast travel option like with the fleet pass. I think it's cool and all but I'd hate having the hassle of having to manually travel there each and every time.

That being said I'm looking forward to it, especially the legacy bank. In games like TES I like hoarding trophies from adventures and random junk I find interesting in my player housing (as well as for storage of useful supplies).

Legacy banks could be put on ships....we didn't need player housing just to get legacy banks. I'm asking the people who really, really wanted player housing what they do with player housing besides things like decorating or using it for storage. Those are things that could have been done with player ships. There must be some social aspect or something that they do with this feature that made it so important to them to have this in addition to player ships. I haven't really played other MMOs much and player housing is apparently a big feature in some other MMOs so there must be something there. The point of this thread is to ask those people what motivated their desire for player housing and gain some insight.

From everything that was said before, they -couldnt- do it with the ships due to coding issues. Seems the prior dev team left it a nightmare snarl of coding due to all the cutscenes.

Think about it for a minute. If they can't even get unify colors and hide helmets to work correctly on the ships, do you really want to risk them breaking things even more with a legacy bank/customization scene that could potentially bug out and make you lose anything you to to save to it/on it?

Yes we get it, people who don't rp or enjoy making their own space in games think this is stupid/a waste of resources. Myself and many others don't have any use for pvp or gsf, but they are trying to put in things for -everyone-.

Ships are useful for traveling, but severely limited for RP purposes, a lot -have- to suck it up and use them though because of the rampant trolling of RPers in any publuc setting. It will be nice to have somewhere else "safe" to rp that isn't basicly a star wars winnebago.

And when it comes down to it, for a lot of us, its fun to arrange your stuff, be it trophies of your achievements, or something you spent time setting up to invite your friends/guildmates to look at.

Edited by XiamaraSimi

Well I can only point to PSO2 to answer you question. In PSO2 when you buy a premium pass or a my room ticket both grant you access to what swtor is introducing with player housing. Except in pso2 the housing is more modular. By modular I mean the room can change to be completely different base on the theme used by the player. For example, the theme can change to beach, garden, a workout room ect. People do hang out in there my rooms or guild rooms. They spend a lot of time decorating their room. I don't have a my room, but if I had a premium pass you bet I would be decorating my room too. Free users do get a my room, but its super small and very restrictive so I don't bother with it.

Between you also have an auction and storage terminal in your my room. It's like having gtm and bank terminal in your room. You can also change the soundtrack to some thing you like so overall it's better to stay in your my room with the correct settings. Finally, it's good supplemental money maker for sega. Although not as profitable like compared to cosmetic gear and the other main stream items sold on the ticket system.

Edited by Knockerz

Yes we get it, people who don't rp or enjoy making their own space in games think this is stupid/a waste of resources. Myself and many others don't have any use for pvp or gsf, but they are trying to put in things for -everyone-.

Ships are useful for traveling, but severely limited for RP purposes, a lot -have- to suck it up and use them though because of the rampant trolling of RPers in any publuc setting. It will be nice to have somewhere else "safe" to rp that isn't basicly a star wars winnebago.

And when it comes down to it, for a lot of us, its fun to arrange your stuff, be it trophies of your achievements, or something you spent time setting up to invite your friends/guildmates to look at.

No, you don't get it. Read my original post. I'm not against player housing or criticizing it at all.

However, you seem to have partially answered my original question. So what sort of role playing typically takes place in player housing and can you give some time estimates, for example, as to how much time you might spend in a week roleplaying within player housing? From what you said, you seem to have some experience with this sort of thing. I totally get the design part, as I've previously said in the thread a few times....but as far as inviting your friends and guildmates to check out your player housing, how often does that happen and are we talking about just doing a quick 2 minute run thru of the house and then they take off? I understand why people want player housing and that it's a "neat" feature to have available. I'm just trying to figure out, for the people who were ready to jump off a bridge if there was no player housing, what amount of their MMO gameplay experience typically involves doing things within player housing and what they are actually doing with the feature.

People do hang out in there my rooms or guild rooms. They spend a lot of time decorating their room. I don't have a my room, but if I had a premium pass you bet I would be decorating my room too. Free users do get a my room, but its super small and very restrictive so I don't bother with it.......Between you also have an auction and storage terminal in your my room. It's like having gtm and bank terminal in your room.

Thanks for the insight. So there is a beneficial social component and value to having player housing....maybe not enough to make it an essential feature on its own, but when you combine it with stuff like banks, GTN, etc. and you add in the design aspect, then it has a lot of utility as a whole. If I'm interpreting what you were saying correctly.

"Wound up"

Not at all, I was just pointing out that social housing was not that important to me, but having a legacy bank as part of it was. So to answer your question as to what I will be doing with it is just that "legacy bank" as that's about it for me. I was also pointing out that some players will love it other will not bother with it, just like starfighter you can take it or leave it without it affecting the over all game if its not something that is of interest to any particular player, and as pointed out its not costing any of us extra. BTW I did read your post and only mentioned the legacy bank because that is the only part of the galactic storehouse that is of interest to me. Also as someone else pointed out the legacy bank was not viable on players ships. You say I did not read or understand your post, Wrong, I just commented on the one part of the social housing that was important to me, and as the legacy bank is a part of that, that made my post relevant to your thread. but you totally missed my point and misunderstood my post. I don't care about the rest of the social housing but that comment was also relevant to your post because you were asking what we would or could do with it. The answer to that was "I don't care" as its not of interest to me in that aspect.

Its always difficult to understand someone's true thoughts when all you are reading id text, and text does not really convey emotions well, well certainly not for all of us,

I was just happy to finally get the legacy bank, I actually thought my post was positive, which is why I was saying thank you to the makers of the game for giving us something that so many players have been asking for.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

Thanks for the insight. So there is a beneficial social component and value to having player housing....maybe not enough to make it an essential feature on its own, but when you combine it with stuff like banks, GTN, etc. and you add in the design aspect, then it has a lot of utility as a whole. If I'm interpreting what you were saying correctly.

Yes,you are interpreting correctly. Except, swtor version will be more basic. Doesn't look like you be able to change the theme of your room like compared to pso2. In short, swtor still has a long way to go before it reaches the level of customization like pso2, but it's a start. Lately, in pso2 they added crafting. Personally, I like pso2 better in terms of customization and combat is more fluid. However, pso2 is a pve only game and a Japanese game, so there are some differences. Killing bosses is more about a social event than a progression oriented like in swtor. Consequently, the game is geared more towards social aspect.

Swtor housing can be improved by making housing more modular like pso2 and allowed players to change their theme of their house instead of a statics apartment theme. This will allow BW to sell themes through the gtm and improve their profits and allow the design of furniture specifically for that theme. Like a few months ago, pso2 had a workout room theme and shop bought tickets were dropping some furniture for that particular theme. The free tickets also dropped work out gear and furniture. During Halloween and Christmas we had gear, room decorations, and other specific holiday items only available during that time period. Sega is pretty good at holiday related items with their ticket system, it's like the gtm. The themes also give a reason for sega to develop furniture or decorative items for that specific theme. We also get special quest for holidays. For valentines month, sega released some valentines related gear and items. It's pretty sweet compared to swtor. Unfortunately, most people will not get through the registration part as it's all in japanese before you can play the game.

Edited by Knockerz

I'm excited about this. I'm sure its intention in part is to add more Cartel market items, but the one thing that people have asked for since the beginning is a home...a home base. Ships have lacked the ability to invite friends over.

They need to make it worthwhile though. We need some bonus, some incentive beyond trophy collections (although legacy storage is very enticing alone) for this to be successful. Crafting bonus? Maybe a special ability that can only be accessed in your home? I don't expect much at the start, but would expect it to grow throughout the year.

Well, I had a blast with player housing in beta Wildstar and have pre-ordered and set up my accunt info already. I loved adding things to it that I earned as rewards or bought from the vendor. It was great fun. I also had a private crafting station, a festival area for friends to chat, a garden to grow plants for buff foods and a couple other things to play with outside my home. You can also either keep your access private or open it up so others can visit which gives you rewards.

Looking forward to my little island in the sky in June!

This is actually a very good question.

I am excited about this update. Mainly because of the legacy bank though. Then again, I don't even really need this one anymore. If I am honest to myself, I have nothing left to do in this game. I'm only standing in front of the GTN 90% of the time. On my ship. In the future, in my stronghold. ;)

I have zero experience with housing and it wasn't really important to me. However, right now, I am, as said, excited. Mainly, because it is something new. I will surely have fun setting up houses. It's some little new content for me. I hope things won't be too expensive though. Otherwise, I might get tired of the housing quickly.

What will I do when my strongholds are set up? I honestly have no idea. Enjoying the view outside the window maybe and thinking about what I could do in the game. ;) I don't want to worry about this now. Let me embrace the positive feeling I got during the last days/weeks reading about all the new updates, announcements etc. At least the game is alive again. On a lower level than I would hope, but nonetheless.

Looking forward to my casa bonita. :)