Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hey Eric - How About A Dual Tier Approach To Bolster For Unranked/Ranked

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
Hey Eric - How About A Dual Tier Approach To Bolster For Unranked/Ranked

mhobin
11.06.2018 , 12:04 AM | #21
Andryah is right on this one. Ranked should be fully bolstered. Two main arguments for this:

1. Ranked should be about skill, gear should have nothing to do with it.

2. We need more people playing. Putting gear restrictions or further barriers at this point of the games lifecycle is a terrible idea. Pops are relegated to basically one NA server and one EU server st this point. Just get people in queues. Group ranked (the only real competitive mode) is a lost cause at this point. It will never be a viable game mode. However solo can keep its popularity.

Right now, with a widening gear gap there will be far fewer people in queue. Up bolster and solo queue may survive until 6.0. Right now it will not.

AlrikFassbauer
11.11.2018 , 04:58 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
As for a gear gate for ranked. It’s what we had under the old system and it worked perfectly. People should not be stepping into competive pvp without the best gear. Especially if it impacts on other people’s rating in their team.
The old gear gate also had the purpose of making sure people could play pvp before entering ranked.
Well, I often read in that thread "the weird people you see in FPs" about people who just can't play in FPs and in OPs. They often seem to do typical PvP things, and when they are criticised, they become rude.

I'm just musing on the idea of having a similar thing like you suggested for PvE. I mean. To prevent PvP people who can't play PvE from entering FPs as long as they are not accustomed to PvE mechanics.

Now, if that sounds arrogant to you, PvP players, then you know now how arrogant that "gear gate" proposal like I quoted above to PvE players.

And remember : If you do funny things, then you'll end up as a story in "the weird people you meet in FPs".
Complex minds
Cope with
Complex problems.

Batwer
11.11.2018 , 09:46 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by mhobin View Post
Andryah is right on this one. Ranked should be fully bolstered. Two main arguments for this:

1. Ranked should be about skill, gear should have nothing to do with it.

2. We need more people playing. Putting gear restrictions or further barriers at this point of the games lifecycle is a terrible idea. Pops are relegated to basically one NA server and one EU server st this point. Just get people in queues. Group ranked (the only real competitive mode) is a lost cause at this point. It will never be a viable game mode. However solo can keep its popularity.

Right now, with a widening gear gap there will be far fewer people in queue. Up bolster and solo queue may survive until 6.0. Right now it will not.
I'm against it. So that means you are too lazy to work a bit. This is a slap in the face for those who still make PvE. To raise the bolster to 252 is fine. It should not be higher. People who are flexible should be rewarded and not punished.

Think about it. This makes the command system pointless for PvP. As a reward, it will not break or give command points. Those who do both also do it for the rewards. Who said it's not like that, it's lying. Most of them then do not PVP anymore. Or only sometimes. The pops are even less. Those who only run PvP are much less than those who do everything.
Für Neueinsteiger und Rückkehrer:
klick mich: http://www.swtor.com/r/zwyYS6

Andryah
11.11.2018 , 12:49 PM | #24
I think this thread has run it's course now.

Eric has come back to my first thread and confirmed that they will in fact raise bolster to 252 (and explained their original thinking for the 248 number), and that they hear the calls for more bolster but believe leaving a gap between BiS and bolster is necessary to encourage PvP players to continue to chase BiS gear.

I'm not sure that I agree with the studios position on maintaining a gap, but we at least have the studio on record about this now and can understand where they are on this and why... so that is fine for now in my view.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Totemdancer
11.11.2018 , 06:53 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
I think this thread has run it's course now.

Eric has come back to my first thread and confirmed that they will in fact raise bolster to 252 (and explained their original thinking for the 248 number), and that they hear the calls for more bolster but believe leaving a gap between BiS and bolster is necessary to encourage PvP players to continue to chase BiS gear.

I'm not sure that I agree with the studios position on maintaining a gap, but we at least have the studio on record about this now and can understand where they are on this and why... so that is fine for now in my view.
Bolster at 252 is better than 248. I think we can live with that. Now we just need them to speed up the grind or offer another route for pvpers to get 258 gear at a reasonable rate and cost.