An in-depth look at: Darth Malak

Aurbere

Sorry it's been so long since my last thread, but I have been a bit busy. BUT I am back with the conclusion to Malak's tale. I have changed the way this thread is written, so if you like the way this thread is written, speak up and I may consider making a full change.

"And in the end, as the darkness takes me, I am nothing."- Darth Malak

Upon their return to the known galaxy, the Dark Lords of the Sith- Revan and Malak- located the Star Forge and forged their own Empire, using the Star Forge to build and fuel their war machine. Darth Revan was the strongest of the two and proclaimed himself leader of their new Empire.

With a powerful armada comprised of former Jedi Knights and allies during the Mandalorian Wars, Revan and Malak launched an invasion of Republic space, beginning with the siege of Foerost. Like their predecessors, Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma, Revan and Malak launched a raid of the shipyards. This raid resulted in Revan and Malak capturing a majority of the Republic fleet.

It was not long before Malak made an attempt to steal the title of Dark Lord from his master. He viewed Darth Revan as 'soft,' forcing the two into a brief lightsaber duel. The duel ended with Darth Revan removing Malak's jaw, forcing him to speak through a cybernetic vocabulator. Malak was then forced to wait for the right moment to strike down his master and take control of their Empire.

Shortly after the Jedi Civil War began, Revan and Malak gained their greatest ally- Saul Karath. Karath once served as an admiral in the Republic navy, but quickly renounced the Republic and pledged his support to Revan and Malak. Karath and his flagship, the Leviathan, was placed under the command of Darth Malak, who commanded Karath to bombard Telos IV as a test of loyalty. Karath launched his attack with extreme prejudice, using his knowledge of Republic security codes to slip past Republic sensors and launch a surpirse attack on the planet. Telos fell quickly and Admiral Karath had cemented his place in the Empire.

While Malak plotted Revan's downfall, he made several brutal attacks on Republic worlds. He devastated Iridonia and Rodia, the brutality of his attacks a direct contrast to Revan's strategy for conquest. Malak sought only destruction, and viewed his master as an obstacle in his path.

The opportunity for him to usurp the title of Dark Lord of the Sith had once again been given to him. Revan's flagship had been boarded by a Jedi strike team led by Bastila Shan, a Jedi powerful in the art of battle meditation. Malak took this moment to remove his master and cripple the Republic war effort in a single stroke. He commanded his own ship to fire on Revan's flagship. However, Revan was saved by Bastila, who brought him to the Jedi Order. This was unknown to Malak, as he claimed the title of Dark Lord of the Sith and leader of the Sith Empire.

Without Revan to slow him down, Malak launched brutal attacks with impunity. His strategies centered around destruction of worlds, thus preventing either side from benefitting from the resources that these worlds provided. While not as efficient a tactician as his master, Malak scored several victories through the sheer size and firepower of his armada, greatly outnumbering and outgunning the Republic fleets.

Upon learning of Bastila Shan's survival, Malak focused much of his war effort on finding and destroying her. He would nearly succeed in doing so when his apprentice- Darth Bandon- launched an attack on the Endar Spire. Bastila would escape the destruction of the Republic vessel and take refuge on Taris. Darth Malak ordered a blockade of the planet to prevent her from escaping.

But the search for Bastila took too long for Malak. He did not want to risk the young Jedi escaping Taris, and thus commanded Admiral Karath to bombard the planet. However, Bastila was able to escape with decorated war hero Carth Onasi and an amnesiac Revan.

Malak then tasked infamous bounty hunter Calo Nord, from whom he learned that Revan was indeed alive, to track down and capture Bastila. But the bounty hunter would be unable to defeat Revan, forcing Malak to send Darth Bandon.

While Bandon tracked Bastila, Malak launched an attack on the Jedi Enclave of Dantooine. He bombed the planet, killing Jedi and civilians. He then plundered the ruins of the Enclave for Jedi Holocrons, also capturing several Jedi for his experiments on the Star Forge.

Learning of Darth Bandon's failure, Malak made his own attempts to capture Bastila, culminating in an ambush while the Ebon Hawk was en route to the final Star Map, the final piece to locating the Star Forge. On board the Leviathan, Malak revealed to Revan his former identity as Dark Lord of the Sith. The two adversaries then engaged in single combat, neither duelist gaining an advantage until Malak put a stasis field around Revan.

Malak was then engaged by Bastila Shan, who commanded Revan to flee so that he may find the Star Forge. Malak was able to defeat Bastila and capture her, taking her to Rakata Prime. Intent on gaining the advatage that the Republic had abused, Malak sealed her within an ancient temple and tortured her until she broke. The torture was too great for the young Jedi to withstand. Malak broke her will and turned her to the Dark Side, making her his new apprentice and gifting his armada with battle meditation.

With the Star Forge at his command, Malak began planning his final siege of the Core Worlds. With Bastila at his side, Malak would put an end to the war and crush the Republic. But he would never get the chance. Intent of saving Bastila and stopping Malak, Revan boarded the Star Forge, and the arrival of a Republic fleet devided Malak's attention.

Malak commanded Bastila to aid his fleets in destroying the Republic fleet while he rallied the Star Forge's defenses against his former master. Revan would prove too difficult to stop. He defeated Bastila in single combat and returned her to the Light. Bastila then turned her Battle Meditation against Malak, greatly aiding the Republic fleet.

Malak was cornered on the Star Forge, but the Dark Lord was far from defeated. Revan and Malak once again fought a fierce battle. Malak proved difficult to defeat, bringing the power of the Star Forge to bear on his former master. But it wouldn't be enough. Malak was defeated once again. He perished aboard the Star Forge, dying with regret for his past deeds. His body was destroyed as the Star Forge was obliterated by the Republic fleet.

The Dark Lord of the Sith was a skilled lightsaber combatant and commanded many diverse powers. However, his legacy as Dark Lord of the Sith did not come from his skill or power. The destruction of worlds such as Taris and Telos served as testaments to his ferocity and brutality in war for centuries to come.

*Do you think Malak surpassed his master in power?

Like I said, if you like the change I have made to the writing of these threads, say so.

Another excellent addition to your index, but forgive me but I did not notice the change! :o

You didn't? I guess it was too subtle. I guess I was trying to ease it in, but oh well. :o

Edited by Aurbere

I think he did surpass Revan in power. On the Star Forge he was counting on the Star Forge's droid factory defenses to be able to destroy Revan. After seeing that Revan was able to get past them he realized that Revan had become far more powerful than he ever was as the Dark Lord.

Overall, I think had Malak just waited for his opportunity to defeat Revan instead of firing on the bridge of his flagship, then he would have succeeded in destroying Revan and conquering the galaxy. At least until Emperor Vitiate finds out that Malak had succeeded in being his vanguard to destroying the Republic.

The final result would be that since Malak didnt leave any key infrastructure intact to be able to defend his Empire, Vitiate's empire would just step in and conquer Malak's empire with relative ease.

I think he did surpass Revan in power. On the Star Forge he was counting on the Star Forge's droid factory defenses to be able to destroy Revan. After seeing that Revan was able to get past them he realized that Revan had become far more powerful than he ever was as the Dark Lord.

Overall, I think had Malak just waited for his opportunity to defeat Revan instead of firing on the bridge of his flagship, then he would have succeeded in destroying Revan and conquering the galaxy. At least until Emperor Vitiate finds out that Malak had succeeded in being his vanguard to destroying the Republic.

The final result would be that since Malak didnt leave any key infrastructure intact to be able to defend his Empire, Vitiate's empire would just step in and conquer Malak's empire with relative ease.

I'm inclined to agree. I think Malak did eventually surpass Darth Revan in power, but I think he took the same route Sidious did by minimizing the risk and striking Revan at the right moment.

I'm inclined to agree. I think Malak did eventually surpass Darth Revan in power, but I think he took the same route Sidious did by minimizing the risk and striking Revan at the right moment.

Malak was a barbarian who relied on strength rather than cunning.

Remember Revan was attempting to leave key infrastructure intact for once he would of taken control of the republic he could of quickly rebuilt the fleet and met the Emperor head on and actually could of waged a successful war against him.

All malak did was rip puppies heads off for the sake of craps and grins. Revan used the darkness to his advantage, Malak was simply consumed by it.

Remember Revan was attempting to leave key infrastructure intact for once he would of taken control of the republic he could of quickly rebuilt the fleet and met the Emperor head on and actually could of waged a successful war against him.

All malak did was rip puppies heads off for the sake of craps and grins. Revan used the darkness to his advantage, Malak was simply consumed by it.

I think Malak was pretty cunning in his betrayal of Revan. He took advantage of Revan being distracted to usurp the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith.

Edited by Aurbere

I think Malak was pretty cunning in his betrayal of Revan. He took advantage of Revan being distracted to usurp the mantle of Dark Lord of the Sith.

even a Kath hound can be a cunning hunter. doesn't mean it still it's still not a rabid dog.

Darth Revan is the exception to the Sith rule, not Malak, Malak did exactly what most Sith do.

Darth Revan is the exception to the Sith rule, not Malak, Malak did exactly what most Sith do.

Revan an exception? No, just no. Plenty of sith who were like Revan. Bane, Vader, Exar Kun. Kun wouldn't of wiped out a population center like that to take out 1 jedi. That's simply overkill and frankly stupid.

Malak while strong, and he did have a few moments of brilliance, he was more of a child snapping the heads off of puppies.

Revan an exception? No, just no. Plenty of sith who were like Revan. Bane, Vader, Exar Kun. Kun wouldn't of wiped out a population center like that to take out 1 jedi. That's simply overkill and frankly stupid.

Malak while strong, and he did have a few moments of brilliance, he was more of a child snapping the heads off of puppies.

Vader took part in blowing up a planet.... because they wanted a 'demonstration'.

Exar Kun? oh please he wiped out the last of the Massassi race to become a spirit, he led the assault on Ossus, there were no lengths that Kun would not have gone to, to become ruler of the galaxy.

Bane is different yes.... oh wait, the Thought Bomb.

Edited by LadyKulvax

Now, I have a question. (This is related to the actual Sith-y-ness of Malak.)

While it is known that Revan and Malak were pawns of the Emporer, the question rises: Are Revan and Malak true Sith or just Dark Jedi? While they were under the Emporer's influence, they didn't seem to have complete training in Sith ways, and merely used Dark Side powers. So, is Revan and Malak truly Sith?

Edited by jedimasterjac

Vader took part in blowing up a planet.... because they wanted a 'demonstration'.

Exar Kun? oh please he wiped out the last of the Massassi race to become a spirit, he led the assault on Ossus, there were no lengths that Kun would not have gone to, to become ruler of the galaxy.

Bane is different yes.... oh wait, the Thought Bomb.

Bane. Yes did his thought bomb kill innocent people? No, it took out sith in his way and his enemies, Jedi.

They all had weapons, they were all combatants. Fail to see the issue with what bane did.

So..... what exactly was the change that you made to your thread? Is it that you used regular colored font or something else?

So no one noticed the change? I was hoping it would be subtle, but maybe it was too subtle.

I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

While it is known that Revan and Malak were pawns of the Emporer, the question rises: Are Revan and Malak true Sith or just Dark Jedi? While they were under the Emporer's influence, they didn't seem to have complete training in Sith ways, and merely used Dark Side powers. So, is Revan and Malak truly Sith?

Well, as Revan says in the Foundry, they were annointed by the Sith Emperor, so I would say that they are Sith. Just as Exar Kun was annointed by Marka Ragnos to be Dark Lord of the Sith.

Edited by Aurbere

They were disciples of the Sith teachings from the Trayus Academy, and went to great lengths to restore Korriban and explore the ancient history of the Sith. They are as much the inheritors of the Sith title as Vitiate and his cronies.

I personally dislike this whole "annointed by the Sith Emperor" bit. Perhaps Malak saw it as a license to wreak havoc, but Revan clearly turned around and immediately started preparing to forge his own empire to crush Vitiate.

Interestingly enough, the ancient Sith Lords didn't recognize the Sith Emperor as a true heir to the Sith Legacy. So their "anointment by the Sith Emperor" bears little weight. Nonetheless, they were Sith, they held the Darth title, and you don't need recognition from long dead ghosts to be a Sith Lord. All you need is power.

The legitimate heir to the Old Sith Empire is Kun and his apprentice Ulic Qel-Droma, the Sith Emperor was seen as an abomination and wasn't supported by any of the Sith Lords.

I'd say the legitimate line ends with Darth Malak(for a few thousand years), why? Revan and Malak turned on the Emperor and they adapted to the teachings of the remnants of Dark Jedi and Sith from Kun's Empire hiding on planets like Korriban, the Sith triumvirate used Malachor's teachings as well, by that token, Darth Bane's Order of the Sith Lords continues the original Empire as well.

Vitiate's empire is more of a rogue spin off as far as I see.

The legitimate heir to the Old Sith Empire is Kun and his apprentice Ulic Qel-Droma, the Sith Emperor was seen as an abomination and wasn't supported by any of the Sith Lords.

I'd say the legitimate line ends with Darth Malak(for a few thousand years), why? Revan and Malak turned on the Emperor and they adapted to the teachings of the remnants of Dark Jedi and Sith from Kun's Empire hiding on planets like Korriban, the Sith triumvirate used Malachor's teachings as well, by that token, Darth Bane's Order of the Sith Lords continues the original Empire as well.

Vitiate's empire is more of a rogue spin off as far as I see.

Agreed, Sidious for one was evidently accepted by the ancient Sith Lords, as he often went to Korriban to seek their advice. However something Sidious says puzzles me to this day: 'Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy!' When did the Sith ever rule the galaxy? It just gets me thinking that the Republic will lose this war and the Sith Empire will have a more legitimate place in the Sith lineage. But for obvious reasons Vitiate will have to be overthrown...

Agreed, Sidious for one was evidently accepted by the ancient Sith Lords, as he often went to Korriban to seek their advice. However something Sidious says puzzles me to this day: 'Once more the Sith shall rule the galaxy!' When did the Sith ever rule the galaxy? It just gets me thinking that the Republic will lose this war and the Sith Empire will have a more legitimate place in the Sith lineage. But for obvious reasons Vitiate will have to be overthrown...

Darth Ruin's: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/New_Sith_Empire