How do you plan to Level your Character?

SySnootles

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As the topic says, what strategy (skill build wise) will you use to level your character?

A few considerations:

1. Currently there is no dual spec option in the game, so people will either go with one build or the other (DPS or Heal) through the game until they reach the endgame.

2. Contrary to other popular mmo´s, a "heal" specced character wont have any trouble leveling, at a slightly lower pace, through the world pve content, while a dps specced character will have difficulty assuming healing roles in group content.

3. It´s clear the sorcerer is not limited to a "healer" role in groups, but that is the expectation when you join a pick-up. Will "peer pressure" force players to opt for the healer role while leveling or will people just opt to do their own thing?

Edited by SySnootles

Having played the beta, I can say that survivability is important. Personally, I might actually respect several times as I find myself headed to the imperial fleet, depending on which companion I have access to. I do know that for a while, I will probably be going some kind of fubar hybrid/solo build, for survivability. If I was going to go a dedicated build, I would either go corruption or madness.

I'm not quite sure how I'm going to level.

I want to level healing but I'm skeptical as to how I'd handle mobs being healing spec'd.

Great, that is how. Presence, the healing stat, also increases the power of your companions. Pick a bruiser companion, like Khem Val, or Ashara, or Xalek and you will be good. Khem Val is the first companion you get, so you can do stuff with that early on.

The heals I got to see didn't actually impress me.. Cast time, and not really a huge quantity of healing. I didn't see any burst healing per say, for emergencies.

Healing gets considerably better as you progress through the Corruption tree.

Personally I am going Lightning all the way (Mostly anyway).

Having played the beta, I can say that survivability is important. Personally, I might actually respect several times as I find myself headed to the imperial fleet, depending on which companion I have access to. I do know that for a while, I will probably be going some kind of fubar hybrid/solo build, for survivability. If I was going to go a dedicated build, I would either go corruption or madness.

It all depends on the respec costs. Personally, while playing the beta, i started having trouble with healing once i got past tatooine, this while sporting a lightning build for the most part.

I think ill opt for the slow approach, as i intend mainly to heal, so going full corruption.

Do you think a dual spec system is essential for healers?

Leveling as Lightning with a tanking Khem Val companion.

Chain Lightning is too good to pass up, and being able to just dismiss/resummon Khem Val instead of healing him is frankly almost as efficient as having a healing spec in the first place.

I don't get why people dislike Khem so much, story wise that is, i love the way he starts the game constantly referring on how hes going to kill and eat you :)

On topic, companions are a god send for healers, progression wise, even as a healer and at a slower pace (no chain lightning), leveling to the endgame is easily achieved playing solo.

I'm still debating between lightning and corruption. I want to heal, but I don't think I'll enjoy standing back and letting my companion doing most of the work when I'm not in groups.

I really wish there was dual spec at launch as I want to be a healer for groups but want to dps when solo.

I also can't decide between biochem and synthweaving. So many decisions.

It all depends on the respec costs. Personally, while playing the beta, i started having trouble with healing once i got past tatooine, this while sporting a lightning build for the most part.

I think ill opt for the slow approach, as i intend mainly to heal, so going full corruption.

Do you think a dual spec system is essential for healers?

I know plenty of healers that got along fine before dual spec ever came along. That said, again, you won't be going slow with healing. Just make sure you get additional gear that has presence on it, in addition to willpower, as you will need both. Presence for your companion, willpower for your healing abilities. If you can find the gear, I strongly recommend leveling as a healer, if that is something you wish to do. Having leveled using a lightning build, I can testify as to how limited, and in some cases, weak, it actually is. In leveling that is. In grouping, when you can just blast, or if you are pvp-spec lightning, it is potent as hell.

Edited by Jorander

In my experience Lightning was by far the fastest spec to level as between 20 (when you get CL) and the mid 30s. Mobs don't hit hard enough until the higher levels for anyone to start worrying about how much you need to heal.

Well, in the build that I played in, I needed to heal Khem Val, a lot. It was getting to be a pain, managing dealing damage while healing. In any boss fight, he would always die, and I then had to resort to 10 minutes of kiting. In one boss fight, I actually took 20 mintues to win, because said boss did so much damage, and I did so little compared to the health. These were quests that one was designed to solo in, and this was the final version of the game.

Well, in the build that I played in, I needed to heal Khem Val, a lot. It was getting to be a pain, managing dealing damage while healing. In any boss fight, he would always die, and I then had to resort to 10 minutes of kiting. In one boss fight, I actually took 20 mintues to win, because said boss did so much damage, and I did so little compared to the health. These were quests that one was designed to solo in, and this was the final version of the game.

I played a Sorcerer to 39 across four weekends, and from my experience you were seriously doing something wrong if you had to spend ten minutes trying to kill a boss before level 40.

I know plenty of healers that got along fine before dual spec ever came along. That said, again, you won't be going slow with healing. Just make sure you get additional gear that has presence on it, in addition to willpower, as you will need both. Presence for your companion, willpower for your healing abilities. If you can find the gear, I strongly recommend leveling as a healer, if that is something you wish to do. Having leveled using a lightning build, I can testify as to how limited, and in some cases, weak, it actually is. In leveling that is. In grouping, when you can just blast, or if you are pvp-spec lightning, it is potent as hell.

I´m not for or against dual spec, i guess its a crutch or forced to use when its presented, but otherwise, its not essential.

I think ill be opting for a full healing spec even while leveling, as in group content the role i most enjoy is playing a healer. If and when dual spec is made available, then ill most certainly play around with a dps build while playing solo... tho i figure ill be well on my way to 50 or there already when bioware implements it.

I played a Sorcerer to 39 across four weekends, and from my experience you were seriously doing something wrong if you had to spend ten minutes trying to kill a boss before level 40.

I remember one particular build that was launched in the first weekend test. The one they did the mob difficulty re-balance. It was extremely difficult to solo then, plus they changed Khem´s weapon proficiency forcing testers to find much inferior quality weapons to equip him with.

I think this last build got the balance just fine, between hard and overpowering.

Leveling as Lightning with a tanking Khem Val companion.

Chain Lightning is too good to pass up, and being able to just dismiss/resummon Khem Val instead of healing him is frankly almost as efficient as having a healing spec in the first place.

That is my plan also.

The corruption companion is really good, so leveling as corruption and let your companion kill everything while you heal it is probably the best way to level with the addition that you are a healer and will have an easier time getting into flashpoints. Madness is probably the second best way to go if you insist on dps. The stuns, CC's, self heals and shields make leveling as madness highly effective when taking on big groups and staying alive, it is also more effective than lighting, but in flashpoints will most likely do a bit less dps.

swtormaster.wordpress.com