Han shot first

Concession

Lucas needs someone around him with the authority to prevent him from making these kinds of mistakes. If he'd had full control over ep 4, Star Wars would have been a typical, campy sci-fi movie and would never have been as popular as it became.

He needs someone who can tell him, "no George, Han didn't shoot first, there are no midchlorians, there's no Jar-jar Binks, and Anakin Skywalker is not a snot-nosed brat who you want to see die in an explosion."

Lucas is the perfect example of someone who has a lot of talent but needs an editor.

Edited by Mannic

Lucas needs someone around him with the authority to prevent him from making these kinds of mistakes. If he'd had full control over the original Trilogy, Star Wars would have been a typical, campy sci-fi movie and would never have been as popular as it became.

He needs someone who can tell him, "no George, Han didn't shoot first, there are no midchlorians, there's no Jar-jar Binks, and Anakin Skywalker is not a snot-nosed brat who you want to see die in an explosion."

Lucas is the perfect example of someone who needs an editor.

Truth, plain and simple.

Truth, plain and simple.

The simple fact is that there aren't very many writers, even very famous ones, who aren't subjected to an editing process before their work is published. And this is why. There are very, very few writers who have the ability to fully see the strangths and weaknesses of their own ideas. True wisdom lies in knowing that you don't know everything.

Well, looking at this quote right here.

"The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in 'Episode IV,' what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo [who seemed to be the one who shot first in the original] to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn't. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down."

Truth be told, Han shooting first doesn't make him a cold blooded killer, it makes him a survivalist. Even assuming Han shot first isn't even dark side points in this case. At this point, he thought he was going to be shot by this bounty hunter OR dragged into see Jaba, both of these would have been the death of him.

Well, looking at this quote right here.

Truth be told, Han shooting first doesn't make him a cold blooded killer, it makes him a survivalist. Even assuming Han shot first isn't even dark side points in this case. At this point, he thought he was going to be shot by this bounty hunter OR dragged into see Jaba, both of these would have been the death of him.

Agreed. The whole time Greedo is talking to Han, he's got a blaster in his face -- the whole time. As soon as Greedo steps into frame, the blaster is right there. Personally, I see nothing wrong with shooting a guy who has been waving a gun in my face for the past 5 minutes.

Lucas needs someone around him with the authority to prevent him from making these kinds of mistakes. If he'd had full control over ep 4, Star Wars would have been a typical, campy sci-fi movie and would never have been as popular as it became.

Lucas is the perfect example of someone who has a lot of talent but needs an editor.

You are just plain wrong...but I suspect most of the people with these kind of anti-Lucas opinions have a similar misinformed conception of his role in Star Wars and the background behind the movies' creation.

Star Wars would never have been a "typical, campy sci-fi movie" because Lucas had deep philosophical intent from the start. There was a really good 2 hour documentary that played a while back where he explained his vision for the films, there was a lot of influence from mythology, Eastern thought, etc.

It should be obvious from even a once over watching of any of the films that the entire way the conflict is set up...the force, light and dark, the monastic and philosophical beliefs of the Jedi...that there is a lot more to these films than just having an action packed good time in space.

Unfortunately a lot of people seem to ignore most of this, as is evidenced by the fact many can't seem to grasp WHY the Jedi avoid emotional attachments, and like to recast them as some kind of Medieval Knights in shining space armor rather than what they, and the meaning of the Jedi path, are meant to reflect.

Anyway, if people want to think Star Wars is just a space action flick that is fine by me, but ignoring the fact there is a LOT more meaning behind the scenes, and that George Lucas is responsible for all of it, is just being ignorant.

Hmm.. What is it about Midi-Chlorians that everyone hates?

In The Darth Plageuis book it explains Midi-CHlorians aren't scientic cells of the force. They are representaves of the amount of potential one has in the Force.

Anyway, if people want to think Star Wars is just a space action flick that is fine by me, but ignoring the fact there is a LOT more meaning behind the scenes, and that George Lucas is responsible for all of it, is just being ignorant.

Actually, thinking that "George Lucas is responsible for all of it" is just as ignorant.

There are plenty of things he changed along the way, thanks to the input from others. If you like the way Darth Vader looks, then Ralph McQuarrie deserves far more credit than Lucas.

HAHA! That's the next edit.

First it will be "Jabba shot first" so that people don't feel like Leia murdered him which, you know, is exactly what she did. Most of us have no problem with it, but considering GL's odd sense of right and wrong, he is probably losing sleep over it now, but can't figure out how to edit it properly to make it clear that Leia only strangled Jabba because she had no other choice!

Hmm.. What is it about Midi-Chlorians that everyone hates?

In The Darth Plageuis book it explains Midi-CHlorians aren't scientic cells of the force. They are representaves of the amount of potential one has in the Force.

Its more to do with the fact it took a book to explain that. The explanation given in Phantom Menace did make it seem like a scientific explanation for the force itself, not just one's strength in it.

• 4 months later...
sorry, havent watche dthat movie since saturday,

but i thought greedo originally fired first, but his shot went wide.

Yes i watch at least one star wars movie every saturday

You are watching a newer version of the movie. You may still be able to find the 2-disc DVD set that contains the original theatrical release.

I have to add that I think Han shooting first did not make him a villain or a cold-blooded killer, it showed that he didn't want to be captured or killed.

He was a smuggler at that point in his life.

Yes I know it's just a movie, but a movie this popular should not be changed so much-especially the oldest films which spawned this game and many other games, movies, TV shows, books, merchandise, etc.

I'm not sure what will happen to Star Wars when George Lucas is no longer here, but I would prefer it if he only made one more change to his next version of Episode IV - take out those frames of Greedo shooting, and just cut to where you see Greedo being shot. Then, Mr. Lucas, you will hear a LOT of your fans being happy in that hurricane that is now film-making.

I think I'm done here...

Move along...

Ummm.... not sure if that's a typo, but Han DID shoot. He shot first, last, and only one round was fired in that original altercation. He gunned Greedo down. He gunned Greedo down for well over 20 years! Then the scene was changed the first time to show Greedo getting a reaction shot in. Han still shot first. Then OVER 25 YEARS LATER, Greedo shoots first.

No matter how George rationalizes his choices, that's just it. Rationalization. If a filmmaker has integrity, he leaves his movies the way they were. He does NOT go back and change scenes to suit how he now feels they should be. I say that because IF a fimmaker makes changes, they should be in a Director's Cut, NOT be put forward as the ONLY option to fans. That's narcissism, plain and simple.

I agree that the Prequels could have been done better, especially if George had some actual advisors on staff instead of the "yes men" he surrounds himself with constantly. As a script writer, he has a self-admitted inability to write dialogue. As a director, he lacks the discipline necessary to keep everything consistent. As a fimmaker/producer, he lacks the integrity to stand by his creations, and tries to "improve" them. Usually with /facepalm results from fans.

That said, as a grand scope storyteller, he's still one of the best.

Edited by Captain_Zone

I'm pretty neutral on this one. I can see the scene having two meanings.

1. Han Shot First version: This shows that Han's got the right stuff to fight the Empire. Casually shooting the Rodian showed he had the will to live, and the ability to win against odds stackedh against him by any means.

2. Greedo Shot First version: This portrays Han more willing to avoid fighting. Never fight when you can bluff, if I recall that code correctly. He wanted to avoid putting his life at risk, making him more Smuggler-ish.

There's my opinion. I'd also like to add that Lucas has the right to change his movies at will.

I'd also like to add that Lucas has the right to change his movies at will.

Yes he does. And shows a complete lack of integrity every time he does so. A Director's Cut released alongside Original Versions of the OT would go a long way toward changing a lot of minds, but he still fails to do so. He even refuses to send Original Versions to the Library of Congress. When they requested some Original OTs for public viewing, he sent them the most recent revisions. Who does he think he's fooling? lol

Yes he does. And shows a complete lack of integrity every time he does so. A Director's Cut released alongside Original Versions of the OT would go a long way toward changing a lot of minds, but he still fails to do so. He even refuses to send Original Versions to the Library of Congress. When they requested some Original OTs for public viewing, he sent them the most recent revisions. Who does he think he's fooling? lol

I do not see how that shows a lack of integrity. Argue how you don't like it, but as an artist myself, the medium being worked on can change and evolve in a way that makes you want to constantly work on it. I never consider any of my creations finished works because they are not and they will not always satisfy you forever. I would argue it can even be unhealthy for the mind to let those things go but I will settle with it just shows he is will to play with art.

If you are going to argue anything, argue that GL has been a hypocrite with how he acts and believes things in the past 30 years. Whether he had a change of heart as Star Wars grew past his expectations or simply has his films be the exception to his rules has more worth in arguing, imo.