Avoid overpriced companion gifts on the GTM

bossei

It is obvious from the ridiculously high companion gift prices on the GTM, that a lot of people do not know this, so:

1. There is a vendor at the fleet (in the Galactic Trade Market section) that sells rank 5 prototype (blue) and artifact (purple) companion gifts for 5000 and 10000 credits respectively. All gift types except Maintenance and Delicacies.
    So it makes no sense at all to pay more than that on the GTM.
  2. Also, if you have collected a bunch of Java Scrap, you can trade it for all types of companion gifts (including Maintenance and Delicacies) at the Java Scrap vendors in the Cartel Bazaar on the fleet.

Edited by bossei
Corrected price typo (from 1000 to 10000)

to be fair ive taken a loss b4 even knowing about said vendors because im too lazy to leave guild ship and go to fleet lol

Hehe, yeah, me too at times. Though there's a big difference in doing it by choice - from convenience (or laziness in our cases) - compared to getting fleeced for not knowing that there are cheaper alternatives.

It is obvious from the ridiculously high companion gift prices on the GTM, that a lot of people do not know this, so:

1. There is a vendor at the fleet (in the Galactic Trade Market section) that sells rank 5 prototype (blue) and artifact (purple) companion gifts for 5000 and 1000 credits respectively. All gift types except Maintenance and Delicacies.
    So it makes no sense at all to pay more than that on the GTM.
  2. Also, if you have collected a bunch of Java Scrap, you can trade it for all types of companion gifts (including Maintenance and Delicacies) at the Java Scrap vendors in the Cartel Bazaar on the fleet.

I will assume it is a typo and you meant 10,000 on the purples.

But yeah, whenever I am on the GTN and see crazy prices on gifts, I cap it at the vendor prices you mentioned; I will not spend a penny more than 10k on a purple.

As for the gold grade 6 gifts, the Odessen vendor still sells them for 250k. I've seen those listed on Star Forge for a lot more. To be fair, there are a good amount listed in the 100k range but they have risen of late. Myself, I will not pay more than 100-125k on a gold grade 6 gift.

I think the bigger issue is people not knowing about the fleet vendor, for these and for crafting supplements. Because I've seen this going on for years, and many are the same sellers. There must be a market for these ridiculously priced gifts and I suspect it's mostly ignorance.

For the record/PSA: each fleet has a companion gifts vendor that sells Rank 5 gifts for 5K and 10K for blues and purples respectively - on both sides, it's the vendor below the GTN (so especially if you're buying these off the fleet GTN, you're literally throwing away credits!).

You can also run companion gift missions from: slicing, UT, TH, Diplomacy, and Investigation and get level 5 gifts for less than the vendor (though much slower overall). Odessen has a vendor that sells gold, level 6 gifts for 250K, right next to juke box (still cheaper than GTN). But unless you just love wasting credits, you should never buy these.

Most people know about the vendors, and other ways of gettng the gifts, but there are a lot of lazy people who don't care if they costmore from the gtn, as it's handier if they are in their stronghold. As for the craftng stuff, if you fully unlock the droid vendor, it's sells the crafting stuff that the vendor on fleet seLls, but he has to be FULLY unlocked Edited by DarkTergon

I will assume it is a typo and you meant 10,000 on the purples.

But yeah, whenever I am on the GTN and see crazy prices on gifts, I cap it at the vendor prices you mentioned; I will not spend a penny more than 10k on a purple.

As for the gold grade 6 gifts, the Odessen vendor still sells them for 250k. I've seen those listed on Star Forge for a lot more. To be fair, there are a good amount listed in the 100k range but they have risen of late. Myself, I will not pay more than 100-125k on a gold grade 6 gift.

A gold gift gets you, roughly, 3x the points than a purple one does. 10k (for a purple) x3 = 30k (same points as a gold). If you are willing to spend an extra 70k for a gold instead of just buying more purples from the vendor, more power to you.

It saves you 3-9 seconds, using one instead of three...

Are those potential 9 seconds worth 210k (or more)?

A gold gift gets you, roughly, 3x the points than a purple one does. 10k (for a purple) x3 = 30k (same points as a gold). If you are willing to spend an extra 70k for a gold instead of just buying more purples from the vendor, more power to you.

I wasn't doing it to save seconds but I will admit it gets tiring to click each gift individually and hearing the companion drone the same line, over and over and over.

Too bad there isn't a mechanic in place to simply click the gift ONCE, have a pop-up come up to ask for the quantity, have the system tally it all up and be done with it.

But it's a good point. The math doesn't lie. ;)

Edited by Tahirri

Most people know about the vendors, and other ways of gettng the gifts, but there are a lot of lazy people who don't care if they costmore from the gtn, as it's handier if they are in their stronghold. As for the craftng stuff, if you fully unlock the droid vendor, it's sells the crafting stuff that the vendor on fleet seLls, but he has to be FULLY unlocked

My hunch (only a hunch) is that there is a lot of ignorance about what's there, or maybe how to buy large stacks (it took me years before I learned that you could press SHIFT and enter the number you wanted in the stack. I would literally right click over and over!), or something else. Maybe it's all laziness, but you can literally quick travel from your SH to fleet, then QT back again. I think the unlocked crafting droid is evidence of this. You can deploy this droid wherever you want and buy the crafting supps literally from anywhere, yet these materials are steadily on the GTN way overpriced (and presumably selling)...

or you could just buy the companion boost thingy from the conquest vendor, and poof like magic, you have a 50, for the low cost of 4.5 mill, a couple of dark projects, and 5 secs of your time :D:D:D:D

I do agree, the constant pressing gets annoying, now if they could do it so you can give a stack at a time, that would be much better

As for WHY they're on the GTN at over priced amounts...

Scenario 1) People will take the vendor crafting mats (that you can only get from missions/the vendor) and take them straight to the GTN to try to sell for a profit. It's quick and easy and if some sucker buys them at an inflated price, the seller gets easy money.

I would imagine the same thing is going on, and has always gone on with, companion gifts.

Scenario 2) You're getting your companion gifts only from doing missions / turning in alliance crates. You have no idea there's a vendor you can just buy them on. Going to fleet isn't something you generally do for any number of reason, so there's no reason to know about it. At this point, you just price on the GTN based on what you see there. The "gold" ones are 'rare' and priced accordingly, also unaware you can buy them for 250k on a different vendor.

I have a lot of leeway for Scenario 2. That's entirely plausible and no one's fault.

Scenario 1 - I have a pretty strong objection for the seller, and less forgiveness for the buyer.

or you could just buy the companion boost thingy from the conquest vendor, and poof like magic, you have a 50, for the low cost of 4.5 mill, a couple of dark projects, and 5 secs of your time :D:D:D:D

I do agree, the constant pressing gets annoying, now if they could do it so you can give a stack at a time, that would be much better

IIRC this way is kinda expensive. Cuz the dark projects are close to a million to make, or even more. And you have to hit conquest first and its BoP. But it takes just under 5 mil to get to 50 using purple 5s, especially if u use conversations and such to get a few levels. but yeah its waaaay faster than right clicking all day!

I wasn't doing it to save seconds but I will admit it gets tiring to click each gift individually and hearing the companion drone the same line, over and over and over.

Too bad there isn't a mechanic in place to simply click the gift ONCE, have a pop-up come up to ask for the quantity, have the system tally it all up and be done with it.

Make a macro on ur MMO mouse or in AHK that spams the same button for the slot that u have placed ur gifts in. Mute game sound, go do something else for a bit.

I think the bigger issue is people not knowing about the fleet vendor, for these and for crafting supplements. Because I've seen this going on for years, and many are the same sellers. There must be a market for these ridiculously priced gifts and I suspect it's mostly ignorance.

For the record/PSA: each fleet has a companion gifts vendor that sells Rank 5 gifts for 5K and 10K for blues and purples respectively - on both sides, it's the vendor below the GTN (so especially if you're buying these off the fleet GTN, you're literally throwing away credits!).

You can also run companion gift missions from: slicing, UT, TH, Diplomacy, and Investigation and get level 5 gifts for less than the vendor (though much slower overall). Odessen has a vendor that sells gold, level 6 gifts for 250K, right next to juke box (still cheaper than GTN). But unless you just love wasting credits, you should never buy these.

What can I say, there are alot of idiots out there that buy them. I made a few million when KotFE came out, simply going to Zakuul, picking up the green mods and selling them for over 50k a piece. I don't feel a bit sorry for people dumb enough to pay that, and not check vendors.

If there is people making credits from doing it with gifts, good for them. If you know about the vendor, awesome good for you. But instead of acting like these sellers are some kind of evil preying on poor players, well a fool and his money are soon parted :D

A gold gift gets you, roughly, 3x the points than a purple one does.

It gets you *exactly* four times the points(1). For 25 times the vendor price.

(1) There's a bit of fussy analysis if you're in a situation where the purple would be enough to take you over a rate-change boundary (where the points earned per gift drop, e.g. from R9 to R10). In such a case, it's better to take one yellow at the higher rate rather than four purples with three at the lower rate, but only if you have it on hand e.g. from an Alliance crate.

You should read the breakdown of costs and how many gifts you need per ten lvls http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/

There are some big differences in costs and also how many gifts are needed. The cheapest method will take the longest because you have to give the most gifts. But the faster option is way more expensive than just opening the legacy speed boost for gift giving.

I follow the guide to do it the cheapest. But it is time consuming. I keybind the gift in my taskbar and then I can use my KB to keybind or on my mouse.

I'll admit that the multi-clicking can be annoying, but I always just drop them in a key bound slot, mute the volume, watch a video on my phone and gift away.

Make a macro on ur MMO mouse or in AHK that spams the same button for the slot that u have placed ur gifts in. Mute game sound, go do something else for a bit.

I'll admit that the multi-clicking can be annoying, but I always just drop them in a key bound slot, mute the volume, watch a video on my phone and gift away.

I have no idea how to do a macro but I can certainly use a slot to put the gift in and go that route. Thanks, guys! Good suggestion.

Doesn’t your guild have to win the planet to get the conquest vendor?

It’s a shame that macros are banned or we could just setup a macro to do that for us.