Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

DeVanagloris

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How could that work? Legacy names are not unique. That has been baked into the system since version 1.3.7 was released in September 2012.

I think what they are talking about is First and Last name not Legacy name. Some games let you use a First and Last name combo to increase the available names.

I kind of understand where the OP is coming from, but only to a degree. Mainly I think he lacks imagination.

My default name scheme has been descriptor adjectives. My earliest characters had names like Fickle, Carefree, Prosper, Triumph. I lost a lot of chars in the merge, and have been bringing them back slowly. I noticed that, for instance, Prosper and Triumph got taken, so I changed them to Prospers and Triumphing.

I always name Cathar after famous cats, especially from the play, but other people have caught on to this idea, so the window is narrowing. I have Griddlebone, Verdauga Greeneyes [Redwall] and I used to have Coricopat, who became Tantomile after a server transfer, and then at the merger became Old Deuteronomy. Not my best name.

I always name bounty hunters after business-related jargon. Cost Effective, Mercantile [which was taken in the merger and became Maureen Mercantile], Incentivize.

I always name troopers after military slang. DILLIGAF, Blue Falcon, Ricky Fishing, Hometown Hero, Chest Candy [i'm surprised that one snuck through the censors].

I had a short run of using the scheme 'Color + Alliterative Noun', thus Claret Crescendo, Iris Imbroglio. The noun usually relates to the class spec, so Crescendo is TK Sage, Imbroglio is a dps scoundrel.

I also like to name characters for obscure in-game references: Thermodraft, Efficacious, Spectacious. I particularly like collecting names of characters who are mentioned but aren't actual NPCs, but that's very tricky.

Finally, if I'm feeling uncreative - like during the merge, when I had to create new names for about 20 characters on the spot - I just use a generic first name and their previous name. So Chester Carefree, Richard Reprobate, Susan Shrewd, etc.

Edited by Ardrossan

I've never had problems -- I have one name that is taken on the other NA server, but have already picked another --

so no biggie ...

I happen to like the good old --- ' ---- works well for my names and seems to fit the toon too ( my Chiss JK name has one, my Chiss agent has two --- it works )

I also use a name for my little human that I have used for years in another game -- and she hasn't been taken on the other NA server ( and YES, I have her reserved just in case ) ... be original and be willing to compromise

I also like to name characters for obscure in-game references: Thermodraft,

Thermodraft is *probably* against the "locations or NPCs(1) in the game" name policy thing, but I'm not one to talk there. I have a character called Tela, which is (part of) the name of a cave or mine or something in an obscure corner of Voss, except that I named the character before I ever found the location (i.e. she wasn't named *for* the location).

(1) I'm not going to enter into a debate about whether Thermodraft is a location or an NPC, thanks.

Thermodraft is *probably* against the "locations or NPCs(1) in the game" name policy thing, but I'm not one to talk there. I have a character called Tela, which is (part of) the name of a cave or mine or something in an obscure corner of Voss, except that I named the character before I ever found the location (i.e. she wasn't named *for* the location).

(1) I'm not going to enter into a debate about whether Thermodraft is a location or an NPC, thanks.

Naming Policy

You may not use proper names of areas within Star Wars for character names

You may not use proper names of non-player characters within Star Wars: The Old Republic

Yes, Thermodraft is NOT allowed as a name....

Yes, Thermodraft is NOT allowed as a name....

Technically speaking, by the requirements you quoted, Thermodraft would be fine because it's the name of a machine, not an area. :p Unless it'd qualify as a character somehow, but that might be a stretch.

Really though, they probably have that rule in place for things like trying to call yourself Tatooine or something. Branded stuff that they want to protect the tone and feel of. If it's obscure enough, I don't think they'd care to do something about it.