Next two playable races

Lyrinna

You know what? I take this one back. Duros have large heads - just scale the helmets. Perhaps a tricky one to implement but surely not impossible?

1) Okay, I understand the points about the fade-to-black romance. But people are only talking about the actual "sex scene" part. Some players might actually enjoy the romance storyline. And considering the amount of call from the players over same-sex romance, I don't think BioWare wants to just cut it in order to get certain species into the game. Having said that, it's certainly not impossible and a good workaround for when they decide to do it. I just don't see it being a priority.

2) Again, a decent workaround. I also have my helmet off on most of my characters. Still not a priority over compatible species IMO. This is probably the most realistic compromise that BW will make in the forseeable future. Brings in Duros, Iktochi, Devaronian (probably only males though?), Mon Cal, Neimoidian, Nautolan, Cerean... for a start.

3.) Kel Dor could probably just use the echo sound like wearing a helmet. Trandoshans don't sound like humans at all from what I've seen. And can Rodians even speak basic? This may be suitable for those who simply PvP and play endgame, but as a roleplayer I'm not willing to sacrifice... "realism".

OK

1) I agree you offer some people like the idea of Romance and Marriage of my 5 lv 50's 3 took romance it seemed like an extra option to the game, and built a huge affection bonus points which did legacy unlocks. All good. However if when I was creating a character I had a Choice Human or Kel'dor and when I clicked on Kel'dor it said some romance options will be blocked please tick to confirm I would take Kel'dor with no romance over human with Romance. Also for every race maybe add 1 extra NPC in which was that speices they could romance. As for the SGR options and arguments I have never understood the out cry for or against this option, then again I am sure they dont know why I am arguing for more species.

3) I think perhpase a dozen alien species have been suggested. The problem with Star Wars Cannon is that some species that can speak basic dont seem to like to and others that can't have occasionaly spoken basic in a book or Cartoon. For example Transdoshan in TOR they dont speak basic but from what I have seen Bossk could as can the Transodhan in the clone Wars TV series. Maybe a sanity check has to be picked on each species with the question "Could we get away with this" Kel Dor yes, Mon Cal yes, Trandoshan Maybe, Rodian Probably not, Jawa no.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from the fact that I'm dying for a Togruta - and it pains me to hear that, let's talk about what you've got here.

#1 We don't have the customization options we've come to expect. There are a few pre-made faces (one, if you play a Sith - they all look EXACTLY the same within each body type) to choose from, and I can choose a few dangly things or paint to throw on it. That's it for all races. I can't tell you how many times I've run into my clone in-game. Heck, I thought I was being unique with some of my choices for a cyborg character, and grouped with a player who had EXACTLY the same thing. I think many of us would be fine with extra aliens using only the appearances of those aliens that are already in-game. That's practically all we have to begin with.

#2 It kind of does feel like you're throwing cold water on the discussion. When you tell us you should know about Cathar "soon-ish", well - when? For cryin' out loud? You announced the possibility - it's gotta be six months or more in the past, I don't even remember anymore, and we still don't even have an availability guess for them. You guys have abused the word "soon" so much that it's absolutely meaningless. Let's say - optimistically, that we can play Cathar within three months. That's nine months from announcement to implementation. Let's say - with ridiculous optimism, that everyone buys the race, everyone loves it, the game turns into Cat Wars, and you decide to jump on that cash cow ASAP, announcing a new playable species three months after Cathar are made available. If it takes you even half that time to implement the new one (Togruta are at the top of that list - we hope you go with it, but if it's as hard as you say, I'm being optimistic AGAIN,) it'll still be almost a year before I get something other than Cathar. Will I still be rolling alts by then? I seriously hope you have a legitimate xpac up your sleeves, because if you don't, I fear that no one will have a reason to buy into a second additional species.

That puts a new species, at best, in December of this year. If I'm still around, I'll have been playing for two years. That's quite a long time to wait.

I get it. Your job is hard. Coding is hard. None of us know how to do it. Know what else is hard? I teach inner-city kids who started speaking English a few years ago and read more poorly than my first grader to pass the proficiency exam in reading and writing. That's hard too. Are there plenty of excuses about why it's hard to do, why I might not even be able to at all? You bet. Do any of those excuses matter? Nope. I do it, successfully, twice a year. That's what I'm paid to do, so, impossible task that it is - and since I want to keep getting paid, I just do it. I work long hours. I go to school and learn new techniques. I'm constantly in touch with my "customers" and getting feedback. At the end of the day, I must give my "customers" what they need, or they quit. I don't think it's too much to ask the same of a company I pay on a monthly basis.

No more soon. No more excuses. We'll pay you! We promise! Just do it!

This is really strong, mate. Agree with you tottaly. I take my hat before you and i mean it:i_wink:

Just to toss in something else. We have a Mon Calamari companion for Smugglers. Mine wears all of my hand-me-down armor and it works just fine. They simply do not show the helmet or gloves. Everything else works.

I would think that the lack of being able to squeeze their head into a standard helmet shouldn't bar a species from consideration. Ditto the hands and even the feet. I'm sure most people who want species that differ in head/hands/feet would be content to go without helmets/gloves/boots to have them.

I could be wrong, of course. :-)

For everyone still harping on the "kiss" quote, this is the oft-overlooked elaboration on that statement:

Hey Folks,

Sorry for the confusion. Booth chat is, let's be clear, not an official information release. What you got was one line of an extended conversation that was had between me and one of the players at the booth. We started talking about what made a hero in Star Wars and then, once that was clear, there were some jokes about what the romances would look like had we gone for the toybox approach of letting you play anything in the action figure line. That's the part of the conversation the quote came from.

The first part was merely a repetition of something we've said before. Namely that lead characters in an RPG must be something the player can relate to. There has never been a movie or major Star Wars series with a complete freak job as the lead and that's because dramatically it doesn't work. We don't understand what it means to be a giant lizard or a droid or a walking ball of jelly. We love the weird characters but they are always the sidekicks, not the emotional connection in the movie. To do an RPG that way every NPC you ran into would have to react to you depending on their own cultural bias and the entire "into the strange" adventure that is Star Wars would be lost as you would be the strangest thing in the room. People would constantly be asking you for information about your weird species and their emotional content that the vast majority of players simply wouldn't have and their ability to really BE this character would be nil.

So whether it's Dragon Age, Mass Effect or The Old Republic, PCs are near enough to humans for us to crawl into their skin. They have generally understandable facial expressions, they don't look ludicrous speaking the basic language, they can interact with the rest of the galaxy without a constant "what the heck?" reaction from the NPCs. The freaks, the droids, the weird that we get to know and learn about--that's where our companions come in.

It's okay to turn to your companions and say "What are you supposed to be?" It's not okay to look in the mirror and say that.

In the future I can see a day where we would do a Trandoshan or Wookiee type story but it would have to be just that. Not a simple graphic swap where now your smuggler is a giant lizard man and nobody notices but a full class story where you learn what it means to be this strange alien and deal with the rest of the galaxy and their reactions. For the present, however, our heroes are our projections of self, headed into a galaxy of wonders and adventures.

I know that this isn't what some people want but I hope it helps them understand that game design isn't simply throwing random features into a game because they seem cool. You have to have a goal, a final holistic ideal that you're trying to hit. The Old Republic is, and always has been, about starring in your own version of a Star Wars movie. Not playing a background character from scene 5, not about living a humdrum day to day existence in the Star Wars worlds (there are no refreshers--sorry!) and not about pulling out the extended action figure line and getting to use it as virtual costume party. None of these are, by themselves, bad goals and could absolutely be fun in a very different sort of game. But in TOR they would work directly against what we were trying to achieve.

So did we limit species choice for romances? No. Did we limit them for our goal of bringing cinematic storytelling and the dream of living the Star Wars movies to the MMO space? Absolutely.

Hope that helps!

Daniel

In short, romance isn't the issue - it's relatability. And that's something that BioWare is admittedly willing to soften their stance on, given player demand

Edited by CelCawdro

For everyone still harping on the "kiss" quote, this is the oft-overlooked elaboration on that statement:

In short, romance isn't the issue - it's relatability. And that's something that BioWare is admittedly willing to soften their stance on, given player demand

Yep, which is why Kel Dorians, and others would be plausible. And with the Kel Dor, most of their customizational differences between other Kel Dors would be similar to that of the Miraluka. In that, I mean how the Miraluka's eye masks are their main difference for the Kel Dor's it would be their Breathing Masks.

The only hiccup I possibly foresee would be how their Breath Masks reacts to the 1st Helm of the Sith Warrior & possibly Sith Inquisitor and other Breath Masks.

Yep, which is why Kel Dorians, and others would be plausible. And with the Kel Dor, most of their customizational differences between other Kel Dors would be similar to that of the Miraluka. In that, I mean how the Miraluka's eye masks are their main difference for the Kel Dor's it would be their Breathing Masks.

The only hiccup I possibly foresee would be how their Breath Masks reacts to the 1st Helm of the Sith Warrior & possibly Sith Inquisitor and other Breath Masks.

The solution to that is simple - we've seen it on our more-exotic companions as well as cyborgs and Purebloods recently - simply don't display the armour. (And yes, my Pureblood was disallowed from wearing his mask for a few months as it clipped with the tendrils [which I actually liked].)

I think most people who would play an alien would be more than happy to have some helmets (or all helmets) dsiabled. The Kel'dor breatjing mask is no worse than the Miraluka visor. Plus lets not forget the breather can be removed at any point, as such if a helmet covers the lower part of the face why not just assume that it has its own air supply (cant remember what Kel'dor breath) and so he no longer needed the breather.

As for Dailog SIth Pure blood jedi, trooper and smugglers get no new dialog and we are just ment to accept it so I am sure we can accept some odd dialog for a Kel'dor, just like playing a Twi'lek Sith Warrior doesn't tie in with the sith warrior story but people dont care. If they want to play a Twi'lek Sith Warrior they are happy to put up with some strange dialog just like all the poeople who want to play a Kel'dor trooper will be.

The truth of the matter is they already alienated the "alien race player" community off the bat b/c its all everyone complained out in beta at comic con and there stance is we cant do it b/c of voice overs and facial expressions and other balony. That was a huge chunk of ex swg players who sole toons back in the day were wookies,rodians and others so before launch they already lost this niche market.

Its all a load of crap from ea they want to invest as little as possible into this game and increase thier revenue on rehashing stuff already in the game and keep production costs low.

Ill say it again damion there is nothing and i repeat NOTHING unique about the races we have now there all based off the human skin model and just changed skin colors and called different races.

So please keep telling your customers how much it costs to not do what we all want.

I 100% gaurantee cathar will be humans painted on fur like you would see people dressed up as cats on a broadway play and they will say its unique to lol.

Edited by publicenemies

I think I should add here that I know quite a few people who have literally stopped playing (if they started in the first place) because that cannot create a character that they can actually relate to. And yes, that is because there is a lack of the the more exotic alien species (ie. non-Near-humans). Quite frankly, I probably wouldn't be playing (or even picked the game up in the first place) if I hadn't had an interest in the Sith species before SW:TOR came around. BioWare absolutely loves to talk about the relatability of our characters, but have essentially robbed us of the ability to relate because our favourite species weren't included.

Human beings are wonderfully empathetic creatures, able to relate to virtually anything: other people, animals, plants, inanimate objects (both natural and artificial) and even abstract concepts that have no physical presence. It is almost offensive to trivialize this human capacity by stating that a human face is needed to be able to relate to something.

Edited by CelCawdro

Just to toss in something else. We have a Mon Calamari companion for Smugglers. Mine wears all of my hand-me-down armor and it works just fine. They simply do not show the helmet or gloves. Everything else works.

I would think that the lack of being able to squeeze their head into a standard helmet shouldn't bar a species from consideration. Ditto the hands and even the feet. I'm sure most people who want species that differ in head/hands/feet would be content to go without helmets/gloves/boots to have them.

I could be wrong, of course. :-)

I am with you on that:tran_eek:

I think I should add here that I know quite a few people who have literally stopped playing (if they started in the first place) because that cannot create a character that they can actually relate to. And yes, that is because there is a lack of the the more exotic alien species (ie. non-Near-humans). Quite frankly, I probably wouldn't be playing (or even picked them game up in the first place) if I hadn't had an interest in the Sith species before SW:TOR came around. BioWare absolutely loves to talk about the relatability of our characters, but have essentially robbed us of the ability to relate because our favourite species weren't included.

Human beings are wonderfully empathetic creatures, able to relate to virtually anything: other people, animals, plants, inanimate objects (both natural and artificial) and even abstract concepts that have no physical presence. It is almost offensive to trivialize this human capacity by stating that a human face is needed to be able to relate to something.

I agree completly the only reason I still play is because its star wars and I keep hoping we will get better alien species. However they have lost a lot of people who wanted to play aliens. Maybe if they add better species they will get them back but they had better hope a new MMO with decent alien species doesn't come out.

The comunity has offered suggestion after suggestion on how aliens could be introduced and they have all been ignored.

I agree completly the only reason I still play is because its star wars and I keep hoping we will get better alien species. However they have lost a lot of people who wanted to play aliens. Maybe if they add better species they will get them back but they had better hope a new MMO with decent alien species doesn't come out.

The comunity has offered suggestion after suggestion on how aliens could be introduced and they have all been ignored.

Thats my point about the swg former community who used to play wookies,rodians they lost that entire market in beta. The real issue is the voice over crap i dont buy this skinning issue and relating to your toon and all this garbage. Its all about the voice over's and thats why i absolutely hate them. If we didnt have voice overs wed have wookies rodians and lot more for sure.

I agree though they threw away that whole alien race market away for reskinning the human models and calling them other things i.e a blue human is a chiss etc

You know i find it funny how damian is talking about uniqueness and relating to a character and yet all the toons are the same model lol a blue human is a blue human not a chiss they cant even get what we have right now and thier complaining about how much it costs to lift a finger sigh

The biggest obstacle to non-basic speaking alien races for this game is that the non-basic speech already in this game is a short list of sound loops that are all pure gibberish.

1. There are less than a dozen Huttese sound loops used over and over, throughout the game, by all Huttese speaking male NPCs of any player species.

2. The companions that don't speak basic seem to be limited to less than 5 sound loops.

This is why non-basic alien languages result in screen smashing boredom. Because it isn't real language. There is no syntax, or grammatical structure. Games are horrible for reusing alien language sound files too frequently. This game is no different. Jawas, Hutts, droids, Talz, Wookies, Ortolans, Chevin, thus far have all reused a short list of "species" specific audio files. And these are memorized very quickly.

And this why any non-basic speaking race ever added to the game, will probably be limited to a racial class. Opening up the other 8 class stories to a non-basic speaking race would require all of the VO work to be rerecorded twice, once for each gender.

1. ONE non-basic speaking race that uses the existing class stories = 16 complete VO tracks

2. ONE non-basic speaking race limited to a single class story = 2 complete VO tracks.

Even if the non-basic speaking race were confined to a single class story, a unique syntax and grammar would have to be used just to make the VO work sound authentic. Otherwise, by the time you play through to endgame, you will have memorized all of the sound loops, and the cutscenes will have become a repetitive grind ~ even when your doing missions for the first time.

It's a massive can of worms ~ they have to find a VO actor who can teach themselves a language that doesn't exist, and not repeat themselves except when they should. The creative process would go something like this.

1. write the script for the VO work

2. create a dictionary from that script - either in the form of whole words or phoenetic sounds

3. assign an audio file to each of those words or phoenetic sounds. (recorded VO)

4. construct sample audio loops that match the script ~ these will sound like a telephone robot version

5. Re-record the sample audio loops using VO actors & actresses

This, or something similar, are really the only ways to achieve a realistic sound for the amount of VO work needed for a non-basic speaking species.

This is possibly less VO work than creating English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, & Spanish, language files for a new basic speaking class story.

1. ONE new basic speaking race with a new class story = 12 complete VO tracks (male & female)

2. ONE new non-basic speaking race with a new class story = 2 complete VO tracks (male & female)

Conclusions:

1. Non - basic speaking races are the cheaper way to go for BW to introduce new classes

2. Basic speaking races are the best way for BW to introduce new races to the existing classes.

The biggest obstacle to non-basic speaking alien races for this game is that the non-basic speech already in this game is a short list of sound loops that are all pure gibberish.

1. There are less than a dozen Huttese sound loops used over and over, throughout the game, by all Huttese speaking male NPCs of any player species.

2. The companions that don't speak basic seem to be limited to less than 5 sound loops.

This is why non-basic alien languages result in screen smashing boredom. Because it isn't real language. There is no syntax, or grammatical structure. Games are horrible for reusing alien language sound files too frequently. This game is no different. Jawas, Hutts, droids, Talz, Wookies, Ortolans, Chevin, thus far have all reused a short list of "species" specific audio files. And these are memorized very quickly.

And this why any non-basic speaking race ever added to the game, will probably be limited to a racial class. Opening up the other 8 class stories to a non-basic speaking race would require all of the VO work to be rerecorded twice, once for each gender.

1. ONE non-basic speaking race that uses the existing class stories = 16 complete VO tracks

2. ONE non-basic speaking race limited to a single class story = 2 complete VO tracks.

Even if the non-basic speaking race were confined to a single class story, a unique syntax and grammar would have to be used just to make the VO work sound authentic. Otherwise, by the time you play through to endgame, you will have memorized all of the sound loops, and the cutscenes will have become a repetitive grind ~ even when your doing missions for the first time.

It's a massive can of worms ~ they have to find a VO actor who can teach themselves a language that doesn't exist, and not repeat themselves except when they should. The creative process would go something like this.

1. write the script for the VO work

2. create a dictionary from that script - either in the form of whole words or phoenetic sounds

3. assign an audio file to each of those words or phoenetic sounds. (recorded VO)

4. construct sample audio loops that match the script ~ these will sound like a telephone robot version

5. Re-record the sample audio loops using VO actors & actresses

This, or something similar, are really the only ways to achieve a realistic sound for the amount of VO work needed for a non-basic speaking species.

This is possibly less VO work than creating English, French, German, Japanese, Korean, & Spanish, language files for a new basic speaking class story.

1. ONE new basic speaking race with a new class story = 12 complete VO tracks (male & female)

2. ONE new non-basic speaking race with a new class story = 2 complete VO tracks (male & female)

Conclusions:

1. Non - basic speaking races are the cheaper way to go for BW to introduce new classes

2. Basic speaking races are the best way for BW to introduce new races to the existing classes.

in other words lets take a human paint them orange put stripes on them hello cathars!

Heres an idea have tose alien races use there ship companion as a translator bypassing the needed voice over work. Seriously this is what i mean jabba had c3p0 as a translator it would solve a lot of issues.

Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.

The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta's canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping -- indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good. (The Twi'leks clip somewhat as well, but much art was tweaked to make this a lot less prevalent than it otherwise would have been)

I'm not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite - if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that 'soonish'. I just don't want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art -- it's a TON of work to do that, and do it well.

Just wanted to say this type of detailed, blunt developer feedback is very, very welcome.

in other words lets take a human paint them orange put stripes on them hello cathars!

Heres an idea have tose alien races use there ship companion as a translator bypassing the needed voice over work. Seriously this is what i mean jabba had c3p0 as a translator it would solve a lot of issues.

While a translator would let you hear the Basic version of the language, it wouldn't make sense for the character to never speak. So you'd still have to do the whole VO work described in the post above yours.

If new races are extremely popular, I could see that amount of work being done a loooong way down the road, but the Basic-speaking races are going to be easier and cheaper, by far, to create. They're not going to take on that much work without a pretty good idea that it would be profitable.

I doubt we will ever see a new class for a species that can not speak basic unless he gets a protocol droid straight off. While it would not bother me the idea of fully voice acting is a selling point. Even if anyone who has got to level 10 soon releases how many phrases are repeated for each class, I think a trooper must say "Yes sir" and "Whats in it for me" as his only replys to a dozen conversations before he leaves the starter planet.

However we have already accepted that all Troopers regardless of appearance sound the same so why not included this to new species. We have Pure Blood troopers with the same dialog as a human so it makes sence Kel'dor, Trandoshan and mon cal troopers would have the same dialog. As for the clipping issue I am running on high graphics and my blaster on my back chases me its a good few inches from my back, it goes magicly through objects and everyone knows that jedi training sabers stick right into their butts in training robes and they will impale themselves hundreds of times through the game with the light sabers. If all these clipping issues have yet to be looked at and we accepted them I am sure to play a species we want to play we will accept that some times a Mon Cals hand fins will go through his robes or a Kel'dors mouth might chew into his collar.

However we have already accepted that all Troopers regardless of appearance sound the same so why not included this to new species. We have Pure Blood troopers with the same dialog as a human so it makes sence Kel'dor, Trandoshan and mon cal troopers would have the same dialog. As for the clipping issue I am running on high graphics and my blaster on my back chases me its a good few inches from my back, it goes magicly through objects and everyone knows that jedi training sabers stick right into their butts in training robes and they will impale themselves hundreds of times through the game with the light sabers. If all these clipping issues have yet to be looked at and we accepted them I am sure to play a species we want to play we will accept that some times a Mon Cals hand fins will go through his robes or a Kel'dors mouth might chew into his collar.

Totally agree with you:mon_cool:

Wookiees, Rodians, and Trandoshans. Wookiees for republic only. Rodians for both Empire and Republic. Lastly Trandoshans for Empire only. As the story line seems to indicate the Republic has a dislike for the Trandoshans, and the Empire is exploiting that to their advantage.

Wookiees don't speak Basic, and the Trandoshans are PART of the Republic during this Era thus would be available to both. Also, the FIRST Companion of the Jedi Consular IS a Trandoshan. So Rodians and Trandoshans, if ever made it into the game as Playable Species would and should be available to both sides.

I think I should add here that I know quite a few people who have literally stopped playing (if they started in the first place) because that cannot create a character that they can actually relate to. And yes, that is because there is a lack of the the more exotic alien species (ie. non-Near-humans). Quite frankly, I probably wouldn't be playing (or even picked the game up in the first place) if I hadn't had an interest in the Sith species before SW:TOR came around. BioWare absolutely loves to talk about the relatability of our characters, but have essentially robbed us of the ability to relate because our favourite species weren't included.

Agreed and I wish someone or many people from Bioware would appreciate what a massively important aspect of the game this is.

Now it can seem like such a minor thing to play the species you want. After all you are probably Human so why wouldn't you be happy with playing a human or a coloured Human. And I'd agree with this if this was my job to play the game and was being paid to do it. But sadly not. So its a leisure pursuit and in that case its all about getting to play the game your way and making the most of your free time.

So settling for a species that isn't really your first, second or even 5th choice makes it a little harder to enjoy the gane, then when the story is played through and you only have repeatable end game content it becomes more of a drag to log in until you feel no connection with your Avatar (cause the choice was just settled with not chosen) and you wonder why you are bothering. Now you give people decent choices this creates a better connection, more likely to play and grind out that end game gear and perhaps from BW point of view more likely to purchase armour and sets from the cartel market cause now they see a reason to have that pet or speeder or colour crystal for that character.

But instead BW seem to want to ignore the importance of more species, slowly drag out the Cathar that can hardly be said to be Alien and more a coloured human with bad hair cut. And then hold any more species hostage unless people buy Cathar but without even offering the Kickstart option of if we sell this many you will get more species and you purchase Cathar will get to help pick them.

"Wookiees don't speak Basic, and the Trandoshans are PART of the Republic during this Era thus would be available to both. Also, the FIRST Companion of the Jedi Consular IS a Trandoshan. So Rodians and Trandoshans, if ever made it into the game as Playable Species would and should be available to both sides."

First I could never grow tired of hearing wookiee speak. Secondly did you ever both doing the flashpoint, the false Emperor, in it the story line clearly states the Republic chose to keep its distance from the Trandoshans. To further the point t Malgus props up the point that the Republic failed to use the Trandoshans, and that he did not make the same mistake. The companion of the Jedi Counsular is a rare trandoshan, as the storyline for said companion, brings out the fact that most of his race is the complete opposite of himself. Again on the first point I find some of the alien speak annoying after awhile, but truth be told I have never grown tired of hearing wookiee speak.

"Wookiees don't speak Basic, and the Trandoshans are PART of the Republic during this Era thus would be available to both. Also, the FIRST Companion of the Jedi Consular IS a Trandoshan. So Rodians and Trandoshans, if ever made it into the game as Playable Species would and should be available to both sides."

First I could never grow tired of hearing wookiee speak. Secondly did you ever both doing the flashpoint, the false Emperor, in it the story line clearly states the Republic chose to keep its distance from the Trandoshans. To further the point t Malgus props up the point that the Republic failed to use the Trandoshans, and that he did not make the same mistake. The companion of the Jedi Counsular is a rare trandoshan, as the storyline for said companion, brings out the fact that most of his race is the complete opposite of himself. Again on the first point I find some of the alien speak annoying after awhile, but truth be told I have never grown tired of hearing wookiee speak.

The flash point false emproer opens up a huge opening for the Sith to intoroduce more alien species into the empire. As does the book Annihilation where we see the first non human, non pure blooed member of the dark council. There is a lot more lore in allowing Trandoshan and Rodian into the empire than Chiss or Pure bloods as repuiblic troopers.

As for Trandoshan I seem to recall the Republic treats them badly they dont even get a sentor because they are in the same system as the wookies and the wookies have a senator.

I support more species but I dont think BW will ever allow non basic speaking player species.

An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

Why do I have a hunch those were Ithorians? :rolleyes:

Must be my hate for those that I picked up playing KotOR too much..