Best PvP Build for Powertechs?

Zuesy

Hi i so re rolled as a Powertech today, currently level 14 and am loving it. Ive done some Pvp already and am doing pretty well around mid table but at such a low level im happy with that. So far ive spent my first few points on AP and pyrotech. What build should i go for? Pure pyro? Bit of everything? Should i ignore shield tech and focus on damage or what. Please link your build (if you want to share it) Thanks, any advice is appreciated. :cool:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imo opinion powertechs are slightly underpowered in PvP especially in terms of pumping out damage -- everything they can do mercenarys do better(but at range). Like many of our close combat fire abilities just seem to be very lacking combined with many lackluster talent tree options.

Also I cannot create a thread title for some reason(so if anyone can help me that would be great).

Imo opinion powertechs are slightly underpowered in PvP especially in terms of pumping out damage -- everything they can do mercenarys do better(but at range). Like many of our close combat fire abilities just seem to be very lacking combined with many lackluster talent tree options.

Also I cannot create a thread title for some reason(so if anyone can help me that would be great).

I love the irony of that seeing as over in the mercenary page they're saying that everything merc's do powertechs do better....

I love the irony of that seeing as over in the mercenary page they're saying that everything merc's do powertechs do better....

lol Idk what its like other servers but on my servers mercenarys top dps charts with powertechs usually a solid 100k behind.

There's no "best" PvP build. It all depends on your play style.

I am currently using the hybrid ST/Pyro. Gotta love the mobility with Jet Charge and the survivability. My damage is also not crappy comparing to deep Shield Tech build. I can turn a geared healer/tank inside out if he doesn't use his CDs or getting helped.

And no, our damage is not lackluster comparing to merc. Go pyro with decent gears, and you'll nuke the other team down. Merc also doesn't possess close to the mobility that we have.

I am currently using the hybrid ST/Pyro. Gotta love the mobility with Jet Charge and the survivability. My damage is also not crappy comparing to deep Shield Tech build. I can turn a geared healer/tank inside out if he doesn't use his CDs or getting helped.

And no, our damage is not lackluster comparing to merc. Go pyro with decent gears, and you'll nuke the other team down. Merc also doesn't possess close to the mobility that we have.

Pyro is the only viable dps spec -- and merc version of pyro is by far better.

Pyro is the only viable dps spec -- and merc version of pyro is by far better.

actually powertech pyro is better theres a thread on the mercenary page all about how merc pyro is worse than pt pyro...

You'd hate mercenary if you think powertech is underpowered. You'd basically be trading in all of your survivability and good utility skills in exchange for a ~20% damage increase. Sounds like a lot, but every single melee class would dominate you since you're one of the most easily interrupted casters in the entire game.

When I try to 1v1 a Powertech in Huttball, I usually end up dying while he's still sitting at around 80% HP. Can't cast anything at all against the good ones.

agh....must...not...feed...the troll..or he will get stronger..

Can you link the hybrid ST/Pyro, I went ST/Advanced for the Knife. Would love to see how the pyro is. Also do you sit in the Damage reduction cylinder or something else?

Here's the spec I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RRGbbMdoZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Emphasis on Rail Shot (and RB but more about Rail Shot), you can pull an impressive amount of damage for a tank hybrid while keeping the mobility and survivability. Yes, I'm using Ion Gas Cylinder to increase my shield chance (for survivability and talents like Flame Shield and Shield Vent). I'm using the DPS "Eliminator" set for the 15% chance to crit on Rail Shot. I will never see a 5k crit, but a 2.5k RB followed by a 3.5k Rail Shot is just as satisfying. Stacking Explosive Fuel with a Relic will give you massive amount of burst given decent luck.

Here's the spec I use: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301RRGbbMdoZ0MZbIbbdh.1

Emphasis on Rail Shot (and RB but more about Rail Shot), you can pull an impressive amount of damage for a tank hybrid while keeping the mobility and survivability. Yes, I'm using Ion Gas Cylinder to increase my shield chance (for survivability and talents like Flame Shield and Shield Vent). I'm using the DPS "Eliminator" set for the 15% chance to crit on Rail Shot. I will never see a 5k crit, but a 2.5k RB followed by a 3.5k Rail Shot is just as satisfying. Stacking Explosive Fuel with a Relic will give you massive amount of burst given decent luck.

OK i went the commando for more survivability in the ST/Advanced, i'm doing about 40k more per match and getting more medals.

You mean 40k protection? ST/Pyro is the jack of all trades, master of none. However, it's that versatility that makes it good in PvP. I can guard/protect my teammates, pull up good damage, and survive quite long. I think my best match is like 400k damage/80k guard.

What kind of gear do you use? About to start gearing up for pvp and dont want to do it twice lol

im curious if you get the damage from ion cylinder? at the lower levels of this skill it does maybe 1/4 of what the tooltip says and 1/6 of incindiary cylinder. i realise you get a slow as well but the damage just seems to be very lacking from it, doing nowhere near whats advertised.

What kind of gear do you use? About to start gearing up for pvp and dont want to do it twice lol

I'm using the eliminator set. The two set bonus is worthless since it's only for merc. The 4th set bonus however is extremely powerful (15% crit boost on Rail Shot). This allows you to stack more surge and power instead of crit since your two major damage abilities have crit bonus (30% from talent for RB, 15% from set bonus for Rail Shot).

im curious if you get the damage from ion cylinder? at the lower levels of this skill it does maybe 1/4 of what the tooltip says and 1/6 of incindiary cylinder. i realise you get a slow as well but the damage just seems to be very lacking from it, doing nowhere near whats advertised.

It maybe a bug or a tool tip error. I use ion strictly for the shield chance, the slow, and the dot (others are just icing on the cake).

Im running with your hybrid build and just did a huttball, switching from Adv prototype i did just about as much damage i usually do. This is a nub question but you said your mainly using Railshot and RB, what's rb stand for?

Rocket Punch and somehow I'm stupid enough to spell it wrong as an acronym. DON'T JUDGE ME. This spec has a very high up time on targets leading to more damage overall instead of running around like chickens praying that you won't get knock off the ledge. Heat is not a problem for this spec. You'll be hitting RP* and Rail Shot every time its up and spam Flame Burst in between for more procs. Use Thermal Sensor Override for Incendiary Missile when you're running trouble with heat but need to put your dot up. If you want to slow and catch up to your target, use Rapid Shot since it's a pretty high chance to proc.

Wasted points by specializing in two cylinders.

Might wanna look at this again.

Wasted points by specializing in two cylinders.

Might wanna look at this again.

You have to spec CGC to get Superheated Rail.....

Which is an *amazing* ability for head reduction since you are using rail shot so often...

I have to ask, why did you decide not to spec into Supercharged Ion Gas? You put 1 point into Ion Screen which seems a lot less useless compared to a 25% damage increase to your main cylinder as well the DoT duration being bumped by 3 seconds.

That's the only gripe I had with the build and I intend to go with that build once I get my alt PT to 40+.

Hi, my build is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMZMcZfhrbdhGMs.1

Is based on 90% arm pen of rail shot. I do not know whether to go for 15% crit of rail shot of 4/4 eliminator set (2/4 useless for powertech), or buy combat tech's set with carbonize 0.5s more cc and 15% crit of rocket punch.

PD: Idon't like the combat tech helmet xD

Edited by Jeroxx