So much for not charging subs for Makeb

Lucyfer_Infinity

I'm sure there is a disconnect of info. But the James quote is quite old (may/June) and the Jeff Hickman is from August. Sorry but the latest Hickamn quote supercedes the James quote as it was the most recent.

That's what's so funny about this whole uproar.

People knew what Hickman said and that he said it more recently than Ohlen, yet they seem soooo OMG surprised by this "unfathomable" turn of events! lol

But people tend to jump the gun all the time anyway. We don't even know what's in RotHC apart from +5 lvls and the planet and they are already deeming it unworthy... Just shows you how much you should listen to people's opinions when they're based on...well...nothing.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link , I just pre-ordered it also. It sounds like it might be quite a big planet as planets normally have 4 levels content and so five levels should be bigger than those.

I believe giving subs 50% off is a good move and if I where F2P or preferred i would indeed fork out the $15 then get the discount for the x-pac $10 , so a total of $25. That's only $5 more than the price of the x-pac only. Plus if you where F2P you will end up preferred after 4 weeks. Can't be bad.

So the only thing I'm waiting on now is how much will my 13th to 16th character slots cost ?

Come on Bioware i need the above information please very soon .

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. They are increasing the level cap by five levels. I'm sure there will be a lot more things they haven't announced yet. Probably new Operations, Flashpoints, Abilities, Gear, maybe a new companion. You don't increase the level cap and not add those things.

That's what's so funny about this whole uproar.

People knew what Hickman said and that he said it more recently than Ohlen, yet they seem soooo OMG surprised by this "unfathomable" turn of events! lol

But people tend to jump the gun all the time anyway. We don't even know what's in RotHC apart from +5 lvls and the planet and they are already deeming it unworthy... Just shows you how much you should listen to people's opinions when they're based on...well...nothing.

Actually, when Hickman made his statement a thread or two or three were started about it. Everyone said 'wait and see' because they were just so sure it was still going to be free like they originally said.

This is what the wait and see attitude got the people who were upset then but quieted down because everyone berated them for speaking up.

And yet again, we're being told 'wait and see' because you're just so sure this 'expansion' is going to be totes worth it.

Edited by Prettyevilish

Actually, when Hickman made his statement a thread or two or three were started about it. Everyone said 'wait and see' because they were just so sure it was still going to be free like they originally said.

This is what the wait and see attitude got the people who were upset then but quieted down because everyone berated them for speaking up.

And yet again, we're being told 'wait and see' because you're just so sure this 'expansion' is going to be totes worth it.

I assume "everyone" is other players?

And no, I'm not saying it's going to be "totes worth it", I'm simply stating that I don't understand how YOU know it's gonna be "totes not worth it".

Proof please? You are the one who said I was 'so upset', which is as much of an attack as I saw between the two of us, and you started it.

What you're reading as 'hostile' is just me typing.

I'm pretty sure these posts will end up getting deleted as your discussion with me as derailed into a finger-pointing situation, but here, let me show you:

What... how... does your logic work at all?

That's pretty insulting. Sorry if you can't see that as insult. But when you question someone's way of thinking in the way you did, it's insulting. And if you can't recognize that, well, then maybe you need to learn some Social 101 skills.

And I never said I didn't attack you, but you do seem really upset at this Makeb is now part of $10 expansion thing. If you're not upset, then I'm sorry. I was wrong. But, are you really telling me you're not upset about it? If you're not upset, why are you complaining about it?

And no, I'm not saying it's going to be "totes worth it", I'm simply stating that I don't understand how YOU know it's gonna be "totes not worth it".

Well the "usual suspects" would be closer to the mark. :)

i want to see whats in this expac before i pay a dime for it. im tired of being burned by every mmo company out there. i can cancel anytime and take my money elsewhere. not like there arent other games on the market i can get the same experience from. the name star wars isnt enough to keep me around. i can read the books or watch the movies to get my fix.

This. if you look at the quarterly financials for EA and Activision there is a rather disturbing trend over the last two years of spending the same if not more money on marketing than on actual development. This is the primary factor behind all the high production value cgi "trailers" for games that never quite live up to the extraordinary hype.

If they cut their marketing by 90% and put all that money into hiring god tier devs and cramming their games full of everything on the wall of crazy, would word of mouth be enough to pick up the slack? I don't know. But I know that as a consumer I would be 100x times happier with my investment.

By now I've put a little over $450 into this game. I've enjoyed the game more during the time of the ghost town servers in March than I have since the launch of F2P and the Cartel Market. Being charged for this "expansion" while bugs are still present that have been reported six and more months ago seems pretty audacious and leaves a bitter aftertaste.

Seeing how my sub's paid only until February I'm not sure I'll be around when it goes live.

Yes, 'everyone' would be a vague everyone, though most likely the same people who are saying 'wait and see' now.

I don't know that, nor did I say it's not going to be worth it - don't put words in my mouth. With the non-information we have about it, there's no way to know (which is weird because when someone wants you to pre-order something they normally give you something to chew on).

My upset is that we were told it was going to be free to subs and that this was not going to be an expansion; it was just going to be a huge, the biggest update ever. However, they changed their minds because they want to milk us for more money. Most likely because they saw how well the Cartel Market is doing that, and figured this would work just as well.

^ This.

It seems we're all in agreement. They keep changing their story. And that's exactly what those who have a problem... have a problem with.

exactly.

and proof that they're just trying to charge as much as they can, just look at the orange set of today's patch: 1440 CC instead of 1200 CC for the older ones. Since people are saying "oh it's cheap, I'll buy". They increased the price because they know people will buy them.

Same with Makeb, "it's cheap I'll buy". Next time they'll charge 10 CC you each time you change a zone and the same people will say "oh it's cheap, it's fine".

Bioscrooge keeps pushing the line and changing their story because people let them and keep paying.

Well, going by that logic, actually the Hickman quote of "we're not sure" is superceded by the information that came out today which is "we're sure and we're charging" But that's not the point at all. The point is "what did they initially promise us, they initially promised us that it wasn't an expac. They said it was the biggest NON expac thing out there.

If your point is "they keep changing their story..." well then that's my point as well. they keep changing their story.

The strory didn't chance, the game did. I'll admit the game is in a different direction then before. That's way you can't use quotes before the announcement of F2P in December. It's not the same game. Things change.

Well the "usual suspects" would be closer to the mark. :)

Whats sad is I was one of those player saying "wait and see."

I waited. Now I see. Can I go back and take the blue pill this time?:eek:

Edited by Taorus

Yes, 'everyone' would be a vague everyone, though most likely the same people who are saying 'wait and see' now.

You do realize the fault in that logic, right?

Just because someone who in reality knows nothing but has a "hunch" or is wishing that it's free says so, doesn't make it true. If it's not officially announced no matter how much fans and haters wish it, it's nothing more than pure speculation. If people believe everything they read written by anyone, they will most likely have bigger problems than paying $10 for this game.

I don't know that, nor did I say it's not going to be worth it - don't put words in my mouth. With the non-information we have about it, there's no way to know (which is weird because when someone wants you to pre-order something they normally give you something to chew on).

My upset is that we were told it was going to be free to subs and that this was not going to be an expansion; it was just going to be a huge, the biggest update ever. However, they changed their minds because they want to milk us for more money. Most likely because they saw how well the Cartel Market is doing that, and figured this would work just as well.

So, if instead of a big update for free we get an even bigger update that actually helps the game retain and grow its player base instead of acting as a band-aid for 2 months...that's bad how?

I'm not saying I know anything more than anyone else here. For all I know RotHC might be an utter failure. I'm just asking why is it that before we know more details about what it actually includes, you are already condemning it as a money-grabbing move?

Sure, they're asking you to pre-order it. If you're not sure don't, until they announce what's in it.

(and by you, I mean everyone, including me)

Edited by TheNahash

Lies, lies, lies, lies, lies, lies. Is all we ever hear from you bioware. 5 lvl cap increase and 1 planet is your definition of paid expansion bioware? Really?

You're jumping the gun by calling it lies. BW's first statement at some gaming summit (sorry I don't recall which one) was that Makeb would be provided to subscribers for no charge. However, that statement was made pre-F2P and things have changed.

Now while subs aren't going to receive the planet flatly for free, I'm pretty certain they will have the option to purchase the Xpac in the Cartel Market with Cartel Coins, assuming they have been saving and banking the allotment of coins they receive each month. In that respect, Makeb would indeed be Free, with no out of pocket cost to a subscriber beyond their normal sub.

exactly.

and proof that they're just trying to charge as much as they can, just look at the orange set of today's patch: 1440 CC instead of 1200 CC for the older ones. Since people are saying "oh it's cheap, I'll buy". They increased the price because they know people will buy them.

Same with Makeb, "it's cheap I'll buy". Next time they'll charge 10 CC you each time you change a zone and the same people will say "oh it's cheap, it's fine".

Bioscrooge keeps pushing the line and changing their story because people let them and keep paying.

With 2400CCs for the Life Day package and 2400CCs costing $19.99 one has to wonder if both EAWare and the players have lost their grip on reality and the value of money. And no, I don't want to learn about it's equal value in McDonald's meals. (Besides, not everyone lives in the US. In some countries, 10 dollars or their equal in Euro or Pound are a lot more than a McDOnald's meal.)

And to those who think this is going to be a big content package, think about it: the Life Day package costs $20, a set of reskinned/recolored armor costs about $10. This "expansion" costs $10 resp. $20 dollars. If we talk about just roughly equal values, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

With 2400CCs for the Life Day package and 2400CCs costing $19.99 one has to wonder if both EAWare and the players have lost their grip on reality and the value of money. And no, I don't want to learn about it's equal value in McDonald's meals. (Besides, not everyone lives in the US. In some countries, 10 dollars or their equal in Euro or Pound are a lot more than a McDOnald's meal.)

And to those who think this is going to be a big content package, think about it: the Life Day package costs $20, a set of reskinned/recolored armor costs about $10. This "expansion" costs $10 resp. $20 dollars. If we talk about just roughly equal values, I wouldn't expect too much from it.

Well upgrading to a large meal isn't much less than what the x-pac costs. It's £6 with a penny change. If you are a subscriber that is.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Except they mentioned a few times they weren't sure if they were going to charge for it or not since it was a large chunk of content.

For $10? I can live with that, since thats a piece of DLC from another game that i can skimp on for a while

Human psychology never ceases to fascinate. It's absolutely amazing what is said versus what people come away with. Bioware never, ever 'promised' Makeb would be free to subscribers. They said "we're thinking about it. It MAY be free to subscribers or there might be an extra charge. We haven't decided" This was the last thing they had to say about it. Why on God's green earth anyone would come away with the thought that they 'promised it would be free to subscribers' is beyond me.

Oh by the way, paying for expansions is pretty standard practice in the gaming and MMO world. This should surprise no one.

You do realize the fault in that logic, right?

Just because someone who in reality knows nothing but has a "hunch" or is wishing that it's free says so, doesn't make it true. If it's not officially announced no matter how much fans and haters wish it, it's nothing more than pure speculation. If people believe everything they read written by anyone, they will most likely have bigger problems than paying $10 for this game.

So, if instead of a big update for free we get an even bigger update that actually helps the game retain and grow its player base instead of acting as a band-aid for 2 months...that's bad how?

I'm not saying I know anything more than anyone else here. For all I know RotHC might be an utter failure. I'm just asking why is it that before we know more details about what it actually includes, you are already condemning it as a money-grabbing move?

Sure, they're asking you to pre-order it. If you're not sure don't, until they announce what's in it.

(and by you, I mean everyone, including me)

We don't know that it's a bigger xpac; you are making that assumption. From what they have announced so far it's the exact same things that we were told would be in it at E3, which means it's a non-expansion being relabeled as an expansion to get money. That is an assumption made on actual presented facts.

And history with SWTOR since the f2p move has shown that they are going to do any and all money grabs possible.

Fool me once... you know the saying, I'm sure.

And I'm NOT pre-ordering it (nor did anything I have said indicate I think people are being force to do so; I was simply pointing out their sales pitch is completely bass ackwards). I won't even ORDER it unless it has FAR more than what I personally deem worthy of an expansion pack (not an incredibly large update that we were promised would be free).

^ This.

It seems we're all in agreement. They keep changing their story. And that's exactly what those who have a problem... have a problem with.

Wait, so your upset that a 6 month old statement in a developing cycle of content (and that has clearly been changed) about content to be released in the future, got changed in a game that you have yet to play, know very little about in size or scope and are upset it might cost you $10 that you don't have to pay for right now unless being able to play it 5 days earlier is so important to you that you feel like you have to pay it?

No wonder game companies try to not say much to gamers. It seems some hold onto those words like there the constitution.

Human psychology never ceases to fascinate. It's absolutely amazing what is said versus what people come away with. Bioware never, ever 'promised' Makeb would be free to subscribers. They said "we're thinking about it. It MAY be free to subscribers or there might be an extra charge. We haven't decided" This was the last thing they had to say about it. Why on God's green earth anyone would come away with the thought that they 'promised it would be free to subscribers' is beyond me.

Oh by the way, paying for expansions is pretty standard practice in the gaming and MMO world. This should surprise no one.

Wrong. James Ohlin - E3, 2012. - Called it first, a non-expansion pack (Thus it falls into the content updates that Bioware specifically says is free).

Compared to other free content in the same interview at E3. Why compare free content to paid? Simple, it was stated and not supposed to be charged content, thus the opposite of it being called 'free'.

Wait, so your upset that a 6 month old statement in a developing cycle of content (and that has clearly been changed) about content to be released in the future, got changed in a game that you have yet to play, know very little about in size or scope and are upset it might cost you $10 that you don't have to pay for right now unless being able to play it 5 days earlier is so important to you that you feel like you have to pay it?

No wonder game companies try to not say much to gamers. It seems some hold onto those words like there the constitution.

He was intentionally vague about things he couldn't talk about, even said he couldn't talk about them, but was very forthcoming about it being a huge non-expansion pack, and bragging how it would shame anything else released in a non-expansion.

Just because it was said 6 months ago doesn't make it less relevant. If we go with that theory then promises made should never be kept because things are always changing. It's called bait and switch when companies do it though.

Game companies shifted the focus from actually devoloping content to appeal to gamers and instead rely on hundred million dollar advertising campaigns because they realize it's easier to use human psychology to trick people into buying something they probably won't like than to actually develop a product worth the price to the average consumer.

That's why you see hundreds of thousands of people quitting the most hyped MMO of the decade literally weeks after purchasing it.

If something seems like it's going to be amazing, bet on it being an 8, if it seems mediocre, it will be a 1. This "expansion" seems mediocre at best and touches a sore point for a lot of gamers. After f2p, life day, ship missions, people are especially wary about being nickle and dimed and this is just the icing on the cake.

It doesn't matter how old the promise is, they have a track record of completely failing to meet their obligations, from launch until today. you can't blame people for being negative. they set the tone.