Malavai Quinn

Arbitte

I'm glad I knew about the Quinncident before starting to play my Sith Warrior. Taking her relationship with Malavi very very slowly. She is about to reach Voss and they have just started flirting pretty much. This way the major build-up for romance occurs after she has forgiven him for that thing. Works better for me that way.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I knew about the Quinncident before starting to play my Sith Warrior. Taking her relationship with Malavi very very slowly. She is about to reach Voss and they have just started flirting pretty much. This way the major build-up for romance occurs after she has forgiven him for that thing. Works better for me that way.

This is exactly what I did too. After trying for months to avoid spoilers, I finally gave in and read the huge Quinn thread that was around at the time. I think what makes Quinn's betrayal so darn awful is that so many people had gotten to the love and marriage stage of his quests. It became more like a double-betrayal.

By the time I got to the betrayal, I think I had somewhere around 6000 affection with him, and about 8000 with Pierce. It felt like my warrior and Quinn were at the "I'm beginning to lust after you" stage, with no major feelings involved yet. In the beginning I saw my warrior as a bit more power-drunk and reckless, and Pierce suited her. But after a while, Quinn's patient planning and meticulousness started to feel more practical than Pierce's "lets throw it all up in the air and see where it lands" style, especially when the doo started hitting the fan with Baras. The betrayal hit and my warrior's eyes were opened to now seeing Quinn as a real contender in the game and someone who she should take more seriously (rather than the teasing that she was doing up until that point.) The betrayal became a sort of springboard for the two of them to start actually getting to know each other.

Edited by CloudCastle

• 3 weeks later...
I recommend holding off on doing too many of Quinn's conversations until after the "incident." For me, it made it feel like the relationship still had room to grow and evolve afterwards and allowed me to end the story on a positive note.

That's going to be hard for me, I tend to gain as much affection asap and then go through all the conversations straight away... :D

I'm sure i'll manage if I try hard enough

I recommend holding off on doing too many of Quinn's conversations until after the "incident." For me, it made it feel like the relationship still had room to grow and evolve afterwards and allowed me to end the story on a positive note.

That makes sense actually, because it's clear that the very last conversation in the romance arc (training the future) is supposed to happen AFTER the incident.

Malavai starts the conversation with :

"After all we've been through, the good and the bad..."

which only makes sense if he refers to the "incident" as other than that, there hasn't been any "bad" in the relationship .

I decided to do that with my juggernaut, I'm holding back on the 3 last conversations in the romance, and will trigger those only after the "incident" ;)

By the time I got to the incident, I don't think Quinn had even said he was "in love" yet. It is hard to wait on his conversations! I took Pierce with me for a few planets instead and began saving up gifts to give to Quinn later.

Another conversation that works out well if you wait is:

Where he talks about "no longer feeling conflicted, not about anything, and that includes you." It felt like he was also talking about his loyalty to Baras and how he has fully transferred his loyalty to you instead.

Where he talks about "no longer feeling conflicted, not about anything, and that includes you." It felt like he was also talking about his loyalty to Baras and how he has fully transferred his loyalty to you instead.

That conversation is the 6 th one you get in chapter 3 right?

Indeed, that could work well, if you just stop talking to him right after the first conversation in chapter 3 (duty and devotion), where he

asks to be reassigned. He already suspects/fears that Baras will soon call on him and wants to get away from you before Baras can "force his hand".

I went a bit further than that , because I think the third-to-last conversation (technical changes) can also make sense after the incident, as one of the options has him saying :

"How long will you persist in this? Shall I move forward as though there is nothing between us?" Like he is checking the status of their relationship after the incident.

link to the vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrWE8012bA

Edited by kalistea

That conversation is the 6 th one you get in chapter 3 right?

Indeed, that could work well, if you just stop talking to him right after the first conversation in chapter 3 (duty and devotion), where he

asks to be reassigned. He already suspects/fears that Baras will soon call on him and wants to get away from you before Baras can "force his hand".

I went a bit further than that , because I think the third-to-last conversation (technical changes) can also make sense after the incident, as one of the options has him saying :

"How long will you persist in this? Shall I move forward as though there is nothing between us?" Like he is checking the status of their relationship after the incident.

link to the vid here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrWE8012bA

Thats very interesting, and good to know! Thanks for that :D

IMO you should just play the romance out as quick as you want in spite of the betrayal. I guarantee if there ever was an expansion for romances in particular, Quinn will be convinced to betray you again, that or dump you because he's too insecure.

It's quite pathetic but Quinn is ultimately the victim of the whole ruse. He got played by Baras and if you kill him you get played by Baras as well. I really think the kill option should have been left in so people could feel the regret of acting before thinking.

It's like the whole Overseer Tremel thing all over again. Tremel warns us that Baras can sense who you truly are and is a master tactician.

Think about it: Those droids in the whole betrayal scenario weren't on your ship. Quinn must have sent the specifications to Baras, who rigged them to fail, which is why Quinn says "I should have known...I was painstakingly precise." He knew Baras betrayed him because his calculations would have resulted in your death. The fight was easy for this reason. Baras has no use for an emotionally compromised imperial officer, who was probably only convinced to kill you out of jealousy and anger. I can see Baras saying to Quinn: "Quinn about your assignment, things have changed for the worse and it is time to kill my former apprentice. Do I sense hesitancy? Do you have feelings for her? Do you really think a sith warrior could ever sink so low as to truly love (or care for) you? she'd be the laughing stock of the empire. She's toying with you and when she's done she will spit you out."

After all Quinn is definitely insecure enough about the relationship already (Pierce's letter about sith infidelity) and for all his great looks and superb mind he is self-loathing (Jedi Master Yonlach confirms this).

A master move by Baras: You kill Quinn and you lose a valuable crew member (you're only healer), and if you married him you get a big emotional set back as well weakening you for Baras in the future.

Truth is Quinn is not a confident person, which loses him major attraction points for my sith warrior. Basically the only reason I chose not to continue the romance...he's just not as attractive anymore. And I thought Corso Riggs was bad (meaning Corso isn't my type and no offense to anyone who likes Corso). I'm going to try the Aric Jorgan thingy...he seems more comfortable and confident with whom he is.

Quinn’s like the boyfriend who believes all the bad stuff people are saying about you and then takes it out on you ruining the relationship.

By the time I got to the incident, I don't think Quinn had even said he was "in love" yet. It is hard to wait on his conversations! I took Pierce with me for a few planets instead and began saving up gifts to give to Quinn later.

I had that convo right after the incident and it worked very well :p currently mopping up the last bit of Corellia and progressing through the romance-arc just fine.

IMO you should just play the romance out as quick as you want in spite of the betrayal. I guarantee if there ever was an expansion for romances in particular, Quinn will be convinced to betray you again, that or dump you because he's too insecure.

It's quite pathetic but Quinn is ultimately the victim of the whole ruse. He got played by Baras and if you kill him you get played by Baras as well. I really think the kill option should have been left in so people could feel the regret of acting before thinking.

It's like the whole Overseer Tremel thing all over again. Tremel warns us that Baras can sense who you truly are and is a master tactician.

Think about it: Those droids in the whole betrayal scenario weren't on your ship. Quinn must have sent the specifications to Baras, who rigged them to fail, which is why Quinn says "I should have known...I was painstakingly precise." He knew Baras betrayed him because his calculations would have resulted in your death. The fight was easy for this reason. Baras has no use for an emotionally compromised imperial officer, who was probably only convinced to kill you out of jealousy and anger. I can see Baras saying to Quinn: "Quinn about your assignment, things have changed for the worse and it is time to kill my former apprentice. Do I sense hesitancy? Do you have feelings for her? Do you really think a sith warrior could ever sink so low as to truly love (or care for) you? she'd be the laughing stock of the empire. She's toying with you and when she's done she will spit you out."

After all Quinn is definitely insecure enough about the relationship already (Pierce's letter about sith infidelity) and for all his great looks and superb mind he is self-loathing (Jedi Master Yonlach confirms this).

A master move by Baras: You kill Quinn and you lose a valuable crew member (you're only healer), and if you married him you get a big emotional set back as well weakening you for Baras in the future.

Truth is Quinn is not a confident person, which loses him major attraction points for my sith warrior. Basically the only reason I chose not to continue the romance...he's just not as attractive anymore. And I thought Corso Riggs was bad (meaning Corso isn't my type and no offense to anyone who likes Corso). I'm going to try the Aric Jorgan thingy...he seems more comfortable and confident with whom he is.

Quinn’s like the boyfriend who believes all the bad stuff people are saying about you and then takes it out on you ruining the relationship.

I must admit, your perspective of the incident is very interesting, generally people say he's either a traitor that was always loyal to baras and was just acting around the SW, or that he really becomes loyal to the SW and doesn't really have the ability/power to do much other than lose on purpose for the sake of the SW (sort of thing xD)...

what you said fits Baras and his disregard for his subordinates, (regardles of gender and romanc) if Baras thought Quinns betrayal would weaken the SW in any way it makes sence that he would set this up.

Even if it was just a message to say, 'you're not out of my reach'/'I know what you're up to'/'come get me'(?) (I still haven't progressed very far, so I don't know what the whole situation is)

Those droids in the whole betrayal scenario weren't on your ship. Quinn must have sent the specifications to Baras, who rigged them to fail, which is why Quinn says "I should have known...I was painstakingly precise." He knew Baras betrayed him because his calculations would have resulted in your death. The fight was easy for this reason.

That's an interesting theory, and would make a great basis for a fanfiction, but I don't really agree with this.

Baras wants you dead because you are becoming too powerful and are a threat to him (the apprentice that will kill their master in the end).

I don't really see him stage a doomed murder attempt just to unsettle you, he's too pragmatic to willingly waste an opportunity to kill you. The setup was probably well planned and meant to succeed, and seemed easy only for gameplay reasons (player being alone and the fight has to be doable by a solo player).

As for Quinn being insecure, keep in mind that not every female player made the same conversation choices. In the course of the romance you can really be a b.... to Quinn and he'd have every reason to mistrust you ;)

That's just a shame that your choices don't have any real consequence on how the romance plays out.

I do believe that Quinn is completely loyal to you after the incident, based on what he says on Corellia + the very last conversation, but that's just me :)

Edited by kalistea

I will never be able to take that as Quinn seriously trying to kill my SW because she could CC the droids. If he's supposedly making them especially tailored to kill her you'd think the damn things would be immune to her making them worthless. :rolleyes: So yeah she kind of just facepalms and tells Quinn to get back on the ship and stop embarrassing the both of em.

• 3 weeks later...

People think that being a Sith just kill and kill and kill ... It's what Tremel tries to teach when you send in that prison. Analyze the facts before making decisions simply by bloodthirsty.

Quinn always demonstrated a great sense of duty and never hid how much he owed ​​Baras, without it he would probably languishing in some prison for Moff Broysc account.

He made ​​a big S **** when he tried to betray you, but otherwise he has saved you a few times, like in Balmorra if he had not blocked the transmission of his conversation with Rylon, Baras plans have been ruined and he killed you before you are strong enough to fight back. And always proved an excellent strategist, so that if you leave it on the ship in Corelia Darth Vowrawn has nothing but praise for Quinn, demonstrating he is useful and is still trying to fix things.

Finally if you kill Quinn is you have to remember to kill Jaesa also because she is Light the Jedi inside her can awaken anytime, if she's Dark, might want beat her master, and the fact that you probably killed the her parents she may want revenge.

Edited by ddarkangel

People think that being a Sith just kill and kill and kill ... It's what Tremel tries to teach when you send in that prison. Analyze the facts before making decisions simply by bloodthirsty.

Quinn always demonstrated a great sense of duty and never hid how much he owed ​​Baras, without it he would probably languishing in some prison for Moff Broysc account.

He made ​​a big S **** when he tried to betray you, but otherwise he has saved you a few times, like in Balmorra if he had not blocked the transmission of his conversation with Rylon, Baras plans have been ruined and he killed you before you are strong enough to fight back. And always proved an excellent strategist, so that if you leave it on the ship in Corelia Darth Vowrawn has nothing but praise for Quinn, demonstrating he is useful and is still trying to fix things.

Finally if you kill Quinn is you have to remember to kill Jaesa also because she is Light the Jedi inside her can awaken anytime, if she's Dark, might want beat her master, and the fact that you probably killed the her parents she may want revenge.

Dark Jaesa will never betray the SW you want to know why? During several conversations there were moments in her story were she could of turned on you and betray you. The SW outright tells her she should of took the opportunity to betray you as any truth sith would.

Whenever you mention this she gets - approval. She is attached to the SW since they destroyed everything she loved/cared about she has nothing left so in her insanity she latched onto you and won't let go ever.

Plus what happens during interrogating the prisoners and quinn is different. Quinn betrayed us he was a traitor from the start and when it comes to betrayal most sith nip it in the bud not "forgive" them or heck at least punish them/put them in their place like the current dark decision.

Edited by lokdron

While Quinn's betrayal was understandable -- it was rather obvious Baras planted him into your entourage and he never hid his loyalties anyway -- your character's reaction was beyond idiotic. A typical "RRRRAAAAAGE RRRRAAAAGE KILL MAIM KILL RARRRRR!!!!" Sith would have offed him on the spot out of rage. A Sith with brains would off him out of simple self-preservation, because nothing proves the man's loyalties have changed - if anyone bought his "Oh, you choked me a little instead of choking to death as Baras would, so now I'm totally honestly switching sides honest!" spiel, please call me, I have a nice collection of bridges you might wanna buy. A Sith who's all about calculated efficiency would exterminate him for presuming two puny future scrap heaps was enough to snuff Emperor's Wrath.

Now, while he is unkillable due to MMO restrains, thing is it's not even needed - just turn him into empty shell, or a cyborg, or reprogram his personality. There, just one little scene to write and you have your healer and your revenge too. You don't even need to fix his ambient dialogue, since he behaves like an android most of the time anyway.

(I also wished that if you took him for the final confrontation, he'd side with Baras against you again, both laughing at what a gullible idiot you are. :D )

While Quinn's betrayal was understandable -- it was rather obvious Baras planted him into your entourage and he never hid his loyalties anyway -- your character's reaction was beyond idiotic. A typical "RRRRAAAAAGE RRRRAAAAGE KILL MAIM KILL RARRRRR!!!!" Sith would have offed him on the spot out of rage. A Sith with brains would off him out of simple self-preservation, because nothing proves the man's loyalties have changed - if anyone bought his "Oh, you choked me a little instead of choking to death as Baras would, so now I'm totally honestly switching sides honest!" spiel, please call me, I have a nice collection of bridges you might wanna buy. A Sith who's all about calculated efficiency would exterminate him for presuming two puny future scrap heaps was enough to snuff Emperor's Wrath.

Now, while he is unkillable due to MMO restrains, thing is it's not even needed - just turn him into empty shell, or a cyborg, or reprogram his personality. There, just one little scene to write and you have your healer and your revenge too. You don't even need to fix his ambient dialogue, since he behaves like an android most of the time anyway.

(I also wished that if you took him for the final confrontation, he'd side with Baras against you again, both laughing at what a gullible idiot you are. :D )

Thank you. I agree wholeheartedly with every point here. Whether the Warrior is smart, vicious, or both, s/he has solid reasons for offing the man.