Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A SWTOR vs GW2 Comparison

Padabiene
07.28.2018 , 11:11 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by Alkruel View Post
Sorry for even worse necro , But if you think swtor's pvp is better than gw 2 then theres something wrong
Does swtor have literally servers of hundreds of players at once CONSTANTLY destroying others castles in world vs world like content? swtor is based more around pve than it is pvp at least when compared to guidwars 2 LOL
What's actually funny is that most of the veteran WvW players claim the devs don't care at all for that game mode. It sounds a lot like what's being said for PvP over here.
Another thing is the often expressed feeling that bugs only get fixed when it's concerning the gem shop or the precious PvE. That also sounds familiar...

I don't play PvP there, only WvW, and that one's pretty unbalanced. There's classes that can down you in two gcds, out of stealth, no real time to counter. All you can hope for is luck. Not to mention that some unlinked servers are on their own and are getting stomped by linked servers because they can't produce the numbers to go against them.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy WvW and the game (not a huge fan of the story though), but GW2 has its own problems.
What do we do, panic, freak? I usually panic but I'm happy to freak.

ShieldProtection
07.28.2018 , 12:14 PM | #62
Congrats to whoever necro'ed this years old thread. Watch the view-spam now.

plus, SWTOR have quality storyline with nice voice acting. GW2,ESO,BDO,Wow have absolutely zero story and story without voice acting means nothing to me and to most people. Hiring 3 people for 200 NPCs is a bad joke also.

You just can't simply compare SWTOR to any other game, its doesn't work like that
I make long posts on SWTOR forums, read it or not, thank you anyway

Einobi
07.28.2018 , 12:30 PM | #63
I played GW2 long long ago but decide to leave (even if I pay no sub). I enjoy the PvP in the game especially WvWvW (large scale PvP which unfortunately and sadly is missing in SWTOR). The only SINGLE reason I decided to leave GW2 is that it required you to PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in the event of death in WvWvW. I cannot take this nonsense and decided that I will want to have no linkage to that individual in GW2 who decided that paying for GEAR REPAIR in PvP (large scale PvP) is a good idea.

SWTOR will always win GW2 in my own opinion because you don't have to pay for gear repair for PvP death. That in itself is enough for me to pay monthly sub for SWTOR against playing for free in GW2. I will pay for sub but I WILL NOT PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in GW2 WvWvW.

Ciarayn
07.28.2018 , 02:05 PM | #64
Quote: Originally Posted by ShieldProtection View Post

plus, SWTOR have quality storyline with nice voice acting. GW2,ESO,BDO,Wow have absolutely zero story and story without voice acting means nothing to me and to most people. Hiring 3 people for 200 NPCs is a bad joke also.

You just can't simply compare SWTOR to any other game, its doesn't work like that
In the past SWTOR, with dialogue choices, class quests, chapters, planetary story lines and side quests, and companions and love interests, had much better story content than GW2. However, for SWTOR they have stopped making all of that content. Keith has pretty much abandoned story content. When was the last time we had a chapter released? Or a planet with a planetary quest line? My character's li had a 2-minute return. Will that li ever be part of the story again?

Current GW2 story is better than current SWTOR story content and comes out much more frequently. GW2 has quarterly story releases that, while you can bring others along, are designed as solo content. It does this while having no monthly subscription fee. Along with the free quarterly releases, it has regularly released paid expansions that contain a lot of story content. They have also always been strong on open world causal group content (such as world bosses and meta events that are easy to join).

Quote: Originally Posted by Einobi View Post
I played GW2 long long ago but decide to leave (even if I pay no sub). I enjoy the PvP in the game especially WvWvW (large scale PvP which unfortunately and sadly is missing in SWTOR). The only SINGLE reason I decided to leave GW2 is that it required you to PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in the event of death in WvWvW. I cannot take this nonsense and decided that I will want to have no linkage to that individual in GW2 who decided that paying for GEAR REPAIR in PvP (large scale PvP) is a good idea.

SWTOR will always win GW2 in my own opinion because you don't have to pay for gear repair for PvP death. That in itself is enough for me to pay monthly sub for SWTOR against playing for free in GW2. I will pay for sub but I WILL NOT PAY FOR GEAR REPAIR in GW2 WvWvW.
Does GW2 still require you to pay for gear repair in pvp? They removed that requirement years ago in pve, and it might be the same for pvp?

Quote: Originally Posted by MiMoMu View Post
GW 2 Mount system is the best mount system ever made. Its simply sublime. I only have unlocked the first mount, the raptor which is animated beautifully. The run speed and the way it leaps a decent distance is wonderful. There are various mount types for various terrain traveling ( eg: manta ray that allows water surface riding) and once you receive the mount ( via quests) on your main doing the latest expack (where you obtain all the various mounts) it becomes available to use (at no extra cost) for all your characters.

Brief intro to mounts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zoDp6rK9V0

More detailed info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3jKdP_XRPI
Wait until you get the Griffon! I also love the shrine guardian jackal skin.

TrixxieTriss
07.28.2018 , 08:35 PM | #65
Quote: Originally Posted by Ciarayn View Post
Does GW2 still require you to pay for gear repair in pvp? They removed that requirement years ago in pve, and it might be the same for pvp?
Correct. You don’t have to pay for repairs in pvp anymore.

ShieldProtection
07.28.2018 , 09:07 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by Ciarayn View Post
In the past SWTOR, with dialogue choices, class quests, chapters, planetary story lines and side quests, and companions and love interests, had much better story content than GW2. However, for SWTOR they have stopped making all of that content. Keith has pretty much abandoned story content. When was the last time we had a chapter released? Or a planet with a planetary quest line? My character's li had a 2-minute return. Will that li ever be part of the story again?

Current GW2 story is better than current SWTOR story content and comes out much more frequently. GW2 has quarterly story releases that, while you can bring others along, are designed as solo content. It does this while having no monthly subscription fee. Along with the free quarterly releases, it has regularly released paid expansions that contain a lot of story content. They have also always been strong on open world causal group content (such as world bosses and meta events that are easy to join).

Wait until you get the Griffon! I also love the shrine guardian jackal skin.
All that happens because of EA, the greedy publisher. Don't blame to BioWare, developers have no any control on their own games nowadays, its the publishers pulls the triggers all the time, you just can't say "Keith abandoned story content" its rude.

Also, GW2 have no any story. "Living World" is not a story content, if you call that a story, then its safe to assume you don't know what story is, no offense by the way.
I make long posts on SWTOR forums, read it or not, thank you anyway

TrixxieTriss
07.28.2018 , 09:52 PM | #67
All that happens because of EA, the greedy publisher. Don't blame to BioWare, developers have no any control on their own games nowadays, its the publishers pulls the triggers all the time, you just can't say "Keith abandoned story content" its rude.

Also, GW2 have no any story. "Living World" is not a story content, if you call that a story, then its safe to assume you don't know what story is, no offense by the way.
You could describe Gw2 as nearly a sandbox MMO. But it still has story. When was the last time you played it? I’ll admit I only started last year, but there is definitely story in it.

Also, you can’t just blame EA, a lot of the decisions are made by the developers or head of the Bioware Studio. EA pull purse strings and push monetarisation addons for the game’s. They don’t really care about the nitty gritty content as long as it makes them money and fits their money making model.

James Ohlen (original lead on swtor) recently said this after he left Bioware

Interviewer : Conversely, do you have any regrets? Anything you wish you were able to push through while you were there?
James : With Star Wars: The Old Republic I wish that I pushed a little bit more toward making it kind of Knights of The Republic online rather than “Star Wars World of Warcraft.”

He goes on to explain how EA don’t control the creative decisions in the studio. You can read it all here if you are interested
https://www.gameinformer.com/intervi...and-his-future

Alkruel
07.29.2018 , 10:09 AM | #68
Lmao like 10 comments since I last checked
I haven't seen guildwars 2's cs support but if u read the "Lovely cs portal" I made you will see why swtor cs is bad
lol

I can take a guess which class most of our recent posters are in guildwars 2
Necromancers :3
(Or revenants possibly idk)

Alkruel
07.29.2018 , 10:12 AM | #69

Meme meme meeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Also guildwars 2's storyline aint bad , Not as cinematic but the gameplay is extensive and on one map , You actually have to explore the map instead of just fly around in your magical planet jumper
Also
Max lvl , f2p , Decent gear , f2p (yet to have sigils but gw 2's f2p experience is by far better than swtor's f2p experience hell I had to buy a subscription to even enjoy this game!)

Andryah
07.29.2018 , 11:15 AM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by Padabiene View Post
What's actually funny is that most of the veteran WvW players claim the devs don't care at all for that game mode. It sounds a lot like what's being said for PvP over here.
Another thing is the often expressed feeling that bugs only get fixed when it's concerning the gem shop or the precious PvE. That also sounds familiar...
LOL.. yep.. different MMO.. same memes and complaints. I guess the old saying "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" is very applicable with the average MMO player.

PvP is better in some MMOs though.. regardless what the naysayers claim in any particular gaming forum. IMO, GW2 PvP is better than SWTOR PvP.. but that is not saying much. I think the reason PvP is even still a thing here at SWTOR is you have avid SW fans who want to channel their inner sith or jedi.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.