Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A SWTOR vs GW2 Comparison

waterboytkd
04.16.2015 , 03:35 PM | #1
Recently, I purchased and tried out Guild Wars 2 (they had a 75% off sale, and the lack of a sub meant I could play the full game for a measly one-time $10). After playing it for the week, I wanted to come here and give some feedback, both in where SWTOR succeeds, and where GW2 succeeds. For a creator, it can be very beneficial to know what you’re doing right; for a capitalist, it’s extremely important to know what the competition is doing right.

The obvious TL;DR—by the simple fact that I am here, writing this, tells you that I am not leaving SWTOR for GW2. In fact, my brief journey into GW2 has only made me more enamored with SWTOR. I feel SWTOR is the superior game, but there are some things GW2 does that, if SWTOR implemented, brings SWTOR one step closer to being “the perfect game”.

So let’s dig in! And a forewarning: this is pretty long. I broke everything up with spoilers so you can skip sections that don't interest you.

(Disclaimer: As I only played this week, clearly I did not get to cap and take part in high level PvE endgame. My experience with the game was in PvE leveling, both solo and partied up, and with the PvP, for which I will freely admit that I felt clumsy and noobish, an experience that may have improved with time.)

SECTION ONE: WHAT SWTOR DOES RIGHT
Spoiler

SECTION TWO: WHAT GW2 DOES RIGHT
Spoiler

EPILOGUE
Spoiler
The Harbinger - The Grimprophet Legacy
Pubs: An'dru // Azule'ana // Gae'bryal // Jesi'ka // Ae'zryal
Imps: Jon'nee // Rae'zyal // Ma'rya // Kad'ija

Djiini
04.16.2015 , 03:41 PM | #2
GW2 killed City of Heroes.

Arkhonos
04.16.2015 , 03:44 PM | #3
Interesting thoughts, and I agree with many of them.

I spent several thousand hours playing GW2 endgame dungeons. The combat system is actually incredibly unique at a high level and very fun. Most players never appreciate the interactions different professions have with each other because the system is relatively obscure while levelling solo.

It's a shame for people like me that the game is undeniably a "PvP MMO". Virtually no new PvE content has been produced after its launch (Fractals were launched about a month after the game went live). PvE content is not even remotely challenging to complete, and the only sense of progression is measured informally by speed.

I'm thankful for SWTOR having PvE content that challenges me
Loffi/Fioh on The Harbinger

Andrellma
04.16.2015 , 03:46 PM | #4
I lost interest in GW2 during the "everything that has ever happened is because Scarlet" phase.

Which made me sad. The GW universe had such amazing lore, to watch them throw it all away because of that terrible character ruined it for me. ANet lost me, there, and I will never go back.

menofhorror
04.16.2015 , 04:03 PM | #5
Always wanted to check out Guild Wars 2.
Isn`t there an expansion coming out for it?

waterboytkd
04.16.2015 , 04:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkhonos View Post
I spent several thousand hours playing GW2 endgame dungeons. The combat system is actually incredibly unique at a high level and very fun. Most players never appreciate the interactions different professions have with each other because the system is relatively obscure while levelling solo.
Ooh. I did forget about the combos. That was fun when my wife and I first discovered that.
The Harbinger - The Grimprophet Legacy
Pubs: An'dru // Azule'ana // Gae'bryal // Jesi'ka // Ae'zryal
Imps: Jon'nee // Rae'zyal // Ma'rya // Kad'ija

branmakmuffin
04.16.2015 , 04:22 PM | #7
Without a F2P option, I would never play any game. I'm not paying money for a game I've never played and can't test out. So no GW2 for me.

Sarfux
04.16.2015 , 04:36 PM | #8
I agree that SWTOR is the superior game. Everything is just coming together now in SWTOR and it's headed in a good direction and has been for a while now. I also play GW2 occasionally for my fantasy kick and it is also a good game. Especially if you like exploration and stuff. It's..different. Has different systems and all. But all in all, if I had to choose one to play it would definitely be SWTOR.

Like right now, I would login to GW2 and play a little but I just, don't want to. Because I am HUGE on collecting outfits and getting different looks and you can't do that too much in guild wars 2 without either buying gems to get transmutation charges or getting outfits from the shop. That's it. There is no modding system and all that cool stuff SWTOR has so gw2 definitely does not have a lot going for it in that category. I was really disappointed. There are only so many different pieces of armor in gw2 and that's IT. There aren't a ton upon tons of them like SWTOR. That's why I'm not playing too much.

Overall cool game though. But SWTOR is better!

Good reviews
Always be who you are, not what the galaxy wants you to be

Mentor System

SWTOR: Out On the Horizon

Honest Assessment of the Game

So Long, Forums

Gonalius
04.16.2015 , 05:20 PM | #9
The last comment I read about GW2 before this one, was that they aren't coming out with new content anywhere near fast enough... My, that sounded familiar...

Elracor
04.16.2015 , 05:34 PM | #10
The main thing GW2 does better IMO is the MMO feeling. You can go to a world boss Daily Event and there will be dozens if not hundreds of other players. World vs World in GW2 allows for massive battles where tactic puts you above single player competencies.
All of this happens with a decent framerate, its actually fun to participate. SWTOR can barely put 16 players near eachother before FPS drops massively.

I have yet to really like the GW2 story though and it is messing with my head that the voice actors of Satele and Theron Shan did some work in GW2 as well.