[Guide] Reverse Engineering

Slaign

There are a dozen threads on here where people are QQing about crafting procs being broken. People are saying that they are REing outlandish numbers of items without getting a proc. I don't buy it, because it's not broken. They are either grossly exagerating, or they are doing something wrong. Because the gap between what their saying and what I've experienced is Grand Canyon HUGE. The only times I've had extreme difficulty getting a proc was the few times I jumped to the top of my crafting skill level, and started trying to get procs for the absolute best paterns I had. I've hardly ever had any problem getting procs from my lower level paterns. And the 2 or 3 times that I did- I only made around 20-30 green items before I got the blue proc. I've had 3 blue procs happen on my first ever RE of a particular geeen, and once had a purple proc from the 1st blue item I made from a new blue patern I just got! 2 procs on 2 RE - back to back! What are the odds? Given the smallish number of green paterns available in each crafting skill, and the fact that I've obtained less than %50 of the procs available to my craft - I'd say that it is statiscially impossible for that to have happened as a result of pure random chance.

1) I've noticed that my proc rate seems to be better while standing in a cantina, or on my ship. And it appears to be much worse while I'm flagged for PvP. Standing randomly about fleet or other republic controled territory seems to be about midway. I have no idea how to do a scientific test of this. Someone should try REing while standing next to one of those useless workbenches, and see if it makes a difference.

2) my sage healer is LOADED with the best +Crit mods I can make for my level. - don't know if it has an influence on crafting or mission skills, because I've always been geared that way. Someone else might build a "crafting suit" and let everyone know if it helped. I kind of doubt that it works this way- because it would be imba in favor of certain classes and specs making better crafters.

3) any extra blues that I make for REing into purples- fly off the shelves on the GTN at rational prices (no higher than 2-3 X a green item with the same stats of the next level bracket)- I never RE extra blues just for the mats- it's extremely inefficient. Greens yes- blues no. The blues are worth much more on the GTN than the mats. Afterall the blues let players overgear for their level- so they do have value to people who are leveling alts.

4) I have not noticed the proc rate from blue>purple being greatly lower than from green>blue. Lower- yes Much lower- no The difference may not be any more than %25. It is lower enough to be noticable- and so the math behind the purple proc procession must somehow be different.

5) if you are REing an item that has 3 different blues- and 14 different purples proc from it- it becomes statistically harder to get the procs you don't have yet. i.e. the 2nd & 3rd blue are harder to get, and past the 1st purple- it's becomes progressively harder to get all procs for a given blue. This suggests that which proc you get from the list is purely random, but when you get 1 that you already have, you are not always notified that this is what has happened. - in artifice I have never seen the "you already know that patern" message.

6) I've noticed that my proc rate for paterns far below my level appear to be lower, but it could just be my imagination. I worked all of paterns diligently except for offhands and hilts- and now they seem to be procing faster as I'm working up the list. It feels like there is a range where procs happen easily. The lower limit is set by my character level- and the upper set by the patern difficulty. Might work better to grind crafting at lvls 20/30/40/49 - than to wait for level 50.

7) I've noticed that crit crafting chance is somehow tied to affection, because I only have 1 companion with a high affection and nearly all of my crit crafted prototypes where made by that companion. I have not attempted to obtain mastercraft items, just the artifact schematics.

8)I've not noticed any difference between REing only 1 patern at a time vs. REing multiple paterns at a time. I've had 3 successful RE's in 3 sequencial items that were of different paterns, while my inventory contained about 3 of each item being RE'ed. (2 blue procs and then a purple in a row- just bam.Bam.BAM). 4 companions each crafting 4 different items, while I ran errands around fleet. That pretty much kills the idea for me that there is any sort of global cirtical RE chance system that is influenced by how many items of a type that you RE consecutively, or by when your last proc occured.

There is more to the RE setup than a simple RNG- and the community hasn't figured the mechanic out yet. The number of lower level prototypes/artifacts you've developed might have some influence on your higher level proc chance. It is also possible that a high level toon has a more difficult time REing much lower level paterns. I've had better gear than I could buy or than would drop from elites or even area bosses- pretty much from Taris on. But I've also been credit poor- because of crafting, and not been able to waste 250K on the speeder grade 2 that only gives you a 10% boost over speeder 1. I've even passed on a few of my questionably useful class skills for my spec. Every player I've talked to in game that has been actively working on their crafting skills while leveling has been having the same experience.

I can certainly understand why BW would NOT set it up so that people could...

1) grind to lvl 50 then spam whatever crafting/mission/gathering they needed to just to grind their crew skills to max. - essentially just buying their crew skills while doing dailies to pay for it all. I seriously doubt it's set up so that lvl 50's can effectively retool from 1 craft to the next - and obtain all the best crafted gear that is BoP from each craft. That would sort of wreck one of the best reasons to reroll.

2) proceed to mass produce the highest grade craftable gear, completely dispelling the novelty of their rarity, while ignoring the paterns for lowbie gear as much as possible, resulting in a GTN that is completely skewed to the needs of those who rushed through. Oh wait- that's what it looks like right now. Loads of lvl 40+ crafted gear- and squat for lowbies.

3) flood the GTN with max lvl purple gear that was made while attempting mastercrafted gear, and thus ruining any chance that there would ever by any in game profit from diligently crafting.

4) completely eliminate the utility for new players to craft as they level at all, when they'd be better off with 3 gathering skills. And just buying the surplus gear made by people grinding their crafting skills, with the cash from feeding them mats. - Oh wait- farming mats kind of messes with people's playing experience... Yeah this is happening. Although- the gear is prohibitively expensive- because it's not worth the effort for lvl 50's to GTN lowbie gear at sane prices. Or for that matter- just to even walk to the GTN and list it- they just RE everything back to mats- and then blow the extra low level mats out on the GTN as a wad.

5) pretty much wreck the economy for low level mats because lvl 50's are paying outlandish prices for grade 1-3 mats out of impatience...- Oh wait- that is exactly what they're doing right now. I mean rubat selling for 200 ea.. lowbies are not paying that. This forces lowbies to use their gathering skills if they want to craft the blue gear that lvl 50's won't bother selling... wait.... WIN !! - the system may actually be working as planned!

TL;DR - -If you don't want to craft until lvl 50- don't expect crafting to be easy when you hit lvl 50. BW doesn't penalize you for not crafting as you level, by giving you access to PvP gear. But they probably DO reward crafters for crafting while they level, by somehow giving them better proc rates. And I'd be extremely surprised if there are not crafted items yet to be discoverd that are every bit as desirable as PvP gear. They're not going to penalize the PvE or RP people for not enjoying PvP in the warzones. And even if they actually have- it will certainly change as they patch the game.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any word when the missing Redoubt upgrade will be added?

-Anti-Armor (+Defense, +Surge)

-Exactitude (+Defense, +Accuracy)

-General's (+Defense, +Presence)

-Veracity (+Defense, +Shield)

- ?????? (+Defense, +Alacrity) (This is the missing Tier 2 Prefix)

Also RE'ing Redoubt seems to be the only time I get the you already know this schematic message.

Is there no chance at all whatsoever to get a schematic from a green world item? If that be the case I've wasted thousands of credits for nothing..

Not to break your heart... but from all sources the answer seems to be you wasted thousands of credits for nothing.

However until bioware decides to release information as to how crafting works... anything "could" be possible.

I recently came across this, it is called Endowed. If needed I can take a screen shot to show it :)

It's called Supermancy, just got it trying for the Shield version -_-

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12123110/t2p.png

These are both branches of the Critical tree, not Redoubt. =\

Redoubt (+Defense)

-Anti-Armor (+Defense, +Surge)

-Exactitude (+Defense, +Accuracy)

-General's (+Defense, +Presence)

-Veracity (+Defense, +Shield)

- ?????? (+Defense, +Alacrity) (This is the missing Tier 2 Prefix)

Critical (+Critical)

-Endowment (+Critical, +Surge)

-Fervor (+Critical, +Accuracy)

-Leadership (+Critical, +Presence)

-Supremacy (+Critical, +Alacrity)

-Tempest (+Critical, +Shield)

Overkill (+Power)

-Commander (+Power, +Presence)

- Expert (+Power, +Surge)

- Hawkeye (+Power, +Accuracy)

-Rampart (+Power, +Shield)

-Vehemence (+Power, +Alacrity)

Edited by GeekGrrly

I know someplace in the middle of this thread some speculated that REing things higher lvl gives less chance for success. Im 39 now and REing the next armors im going to use. I make the items before i log off and make 5 of what ever im working towards. 90% of the time i get a blue, but purps are still difficult as normal lol. So you can RE higher lvl items than you and i dont think it changes your odds.

This here is more of a critic than adding more usefull comments...

BioWare should make this RE with a specific amount rather then by luck!!!!

I RE 63 times a lvl 45 blue shield in order to get a purple one, guess what, i didnt get it yet!

Spent alot of creds doing so and still nothing. Got my skill up to 400 and still nothing!

Please, give us a break... use a specific amount, like % to get a new design

I RE 63 times a lvl 45 blue shield in order to get a purple one, guess what, i didnt get it yet!

Spent alot of creds doing so and still nothing. Got my skill up to 400 and still nothing!

I disagree.

I prefer the percentage. Straight numbers would just be boring. ;-)

From what I've read I believe the answer is NO, but I want to be sure:

Is it possible to take the Triumphant Enhancement 20 out of the lvl 46 pvp lightsabers and RE it to learn the schematic? The trainer doesn't teach it and I don't know if it's a world drop or not, but seeing as it's numbered and blue, there should be a way to craft it. Are there any artificers which have this pattern and if so how did you get it?

These are both branches of the Critical tree, not Redoubt. =\

So it is, i made a load of the crit and defence ones over night and got that. Had a skim through the list and somehow missed supermancy :p

I'm totally not making fun of you, but Supermancy sounds like the practice of using magic to resurrect Superman as a zombie slave.

Lol indeed, my thoughts when i saw it.

Edited by anTastico

So it is, i made a load of the crit and defence ones over night and got that. Had a skim through the list and somehow missed supermancy :p

I believe I made the same mistake earlier in the thread. =)

Lol indeed, my thoughts when i saw it.

Properly spelled "Supremacy".

Cheers!

I disagree.

I prefer the percentage. Straight numbers would just be boring. ;-)

You say that maybe because you havent spent a ton of creds and time trying to get a frickin purple design!

Its very frustrating... and the count keeps geting up... 67 already...

You say that maybe because you havent spent a ton of creds and time trying to get a frickin purple design!

Its very frustrating... and the count keeps geting up... 67 already...

Trust me, I've spent plenty. I've also been frustrated plenty, but if you take the random parts out of the equation there's just nothing to it.

I also tend to move on after 30. I figure after 30 tries it's far more profitable to move on to the next item. Now that I'm entering end game with this character... what else would I spend my money on?

Edited by GeekGrrly

Trust me, I've spent plenty. I've also been frustrated plenty, but if you take the random parts out of the equation there's just nothing to it.

I also tend to move on after 30. I figure after 30 tries it's far more profitable to move on to the next item. Now that I'm entering end game with this character... what else would I spend my money on?

How can you move on?!?!? Don't you realize that it's probably the 31st one that will give you the schematic you're looking for!?!?!

I've reversed many more than 100 t2 purple implants (Expert prefix), a mix of mastercraft and regular and no luck. It would be really nice if the devs could confirm one way or other if people are just plain wasting their time doing this because this is *not* fun or rewarding in any way shape or form. They seemed a bit more forthcoming about the white lightsaber crystal, so hopefully they can shed some light on this issue. I'm all for keeping some things mysterious and up to the players to discovery, but there comes a point when it just start ticking people off... and this issue is really ticking me off for sure ;)

Modifications apparently cannot be critically crafted, sorry Cybertechs.

I'm not sure if this has been answered already but I have a question regarding this.

Can components such as: Hilts, Color Crystals, Enhancements be Critically crafted?

What about Implants, Ear pieces & Relics?

Perhaps they should implement it so that every 'failed' RE increases an internal number which increases the chance of the next RE being a success ? When you get a success this number is reset to zero.

Kind of how the social rolls work but for RE'ing. That way it's still random but eventually you should hit 100% chance on the next RE so there'll be an upper limit.