Ep7 possible title reveal/discussion on AMC Movie Talk

I dislike the title, I hope its just another rumor...

Boys, this is the greatest title ever to grace the galaxy :p

Seriously though I do like it as having the word "ancient" suggests that we may get some more TOR lore coming.

Eh, I'm not thrilled with it. I hope it is just a working title or a rumor.

Add to that, the prospect of seeing Plagueis in a movie taking place 30 years AFTER Sidious dies... I'd be seriously disappointed.

Edit: exactly what wolf says

Edited by StarSquirrel

The biggest problem about Plagueis being alive is that according to the Rule of Two, it essentially means that everything that's happened--the Clone Wars, the JedI Purge, the rise of the Galactic Empire--was the work of a Sith apprentice and his three dark Jedi minions

Am I the only one to notice the original concept art of the Jedi's confrontation with the Emperor in this game?

It kinda makes sense in a marketing point of view. Disney likes to make money and they bought star wars lock stock and barrel, this game is currently the only fan participation venue out there. It would behoove them to tie the next couple of films with an already current fan base by linking the new films to this game. Not to mention "The Ancient Fear" could be the 1000 year old Emperor.

(yes I know the Jedi knight "kills" him)

Or it could just be the Rakata coming back to the galaxy.

I may be going out on a limb here but since they also trashed all EU stuff all they have is the canon of movies, clone wars, and currently this game.

Let me know what ya think and maybe you all can expand on this.

Plagueis could easily work, sure in the novel the guy is dead but are we forgetting what the man was famous for? Immortality. According to Sidious he could prevent the deaths of others, but not himself. But how do we know this is true? Sidious' word isn't fact and even the novel leaves whether or not he discovered these ability rather ambiguous. Heck the guy managed to stop himself from aging, whose to say he can't stop himself from dying?

I think it could be an interesting story of Plagueis somehow existed in midichlorian/spiritual form - sort of in limbo - only to resurface/recreate himself 30 years later...

But I'm pretty sure that is just some off-hand comment from the presenter guy and he's hardly "ancient" so... yeah.

EDIT: I stand corrected, looks like there is actually a rumour about Max Von Syndow playing Plagueis. That could actually be pretty cool, he looks a lot less goofy than they other guy... still how well could they animate a Muun?

Edited by Beniboybling

I really hope ep7 has nothing to do with plagieus. For starters he is already mentioned as killed in ep3, and going down some mystical voodoo recarnation path is not appropriate for the Star Wars saga.

Dead characters should stay dead. The one thing that drove me awall with the EU was its uncanny knack for perpetually resurrecting people, because apparently inventing new villians is hard. Sidious, Krayt, Maul, Boba Fett, all should have stayed in their graves.

Boys, this is the greatest title ever to grace the galaxy :p

Seriously though I do like it as having the word "ancient" suggests that we may get some more TOR lore coming.

I don't like it. It doesn't sound Star Warsy at all to me and honestly is it little stale sounding in general.

The Ancient Fear? Heck it doesn't even make sense. How can you have fear that's ancient? Your dead! Its also a bit phonetically weak, as in the way it sounds, namely because the 'fear' just trails off. It lacks oomph I feel.

I mean its got nothing on Heir to the Empire. Or even The Phantom Menance.

I also hope TOR isn't mentioned, partly because I fear retcons and partly because I don't really think mixing together eras so far apart is a good idea. Still I'm happy if they go to Korriban or something.

Am I the only one to notice the original concept art of the Jedi's confrontation with the Emperor in this game?

It kinda makes sense in a marketing point of view. Disney likes to make money and they bought star wars lock stock and barrel, this game is currently the only fan participation venue out there. It would behoove them to tie the next couple of films with an already current fan base by linking the new films to this game. Not to mention "The Ancient Fear" could be the 1000 year old Emperor.

(yes I know the Jedi knight "kills" him)

Or it could just be the Rakata coming back to the galaxy.

I may be going out on a limb here but since they also trashed all EU stuff all they have is the canon of movies, clone wars, and currently this game.

Let me know what ya think and maybe you all can expand on this.

No offense but your kidding yourself if you think players of TOR or even those aware of the Old Republic era full stop even begin to make up a large portion of the audience this film is directed at, or even Star Wars fans in general.

We are unfortunately, the minority, and Disney understands this.

Edited by Beniboybling

I really hope ep7 has nothing to do with plagieus. For starters he is already mentioned as killed in ep3, and going down some mystical voodoo recarnation path is not appropriate for the Star Wars saga.

Dead characters should stay dead. The one thing that drove me awall with the EU was its uncanny knack for perpetually resurrecting people, because apparently inventing new villians is hard. Sidious, Krayt, Maul, Boba Fett, all should have stayed in their graves.

He is mentioned as dead, but by an unreliable source who also said he discovered how to stop people dying, which pretty much sets up his resurrection pretty easy. But anyway expect inventing new villains is hard actually, but I also feel that Plagueis, who only really appears in the EU, has a lot of untapped potential especially for the majority of fans who only know him who's only be mentioned in the film. In fact he's quite unique in the way that he's an important character in the movies, but never actually makes an appearance. That provides a hell of a lot of potential.

I'd also add that in this case I think its better to draw on existing material, rather than making something up. I say that because Disney really needs to overcome the obstacle of having essentially the big bad defeated now mid-way between the saga, and I mean the big bad. Sidious is evil both literally and symbolically, he is the dark side and the dark side is therefore vaniqushed in Return of the Jedi. Like Lucas said the story is over, "there's just no story."

So I feel it would be in what way jarring if some random evil just appeared and really expose the fact that they are trying to make some money here but throwing another not so big bad to keep the Big 3 and co. occupied. for 120 mins.

In that way I feel tying up a loose end if you will, as to the average movie-goer Plagueis' story hasn't really been told, will alleviate that feeling as opposed to starting completely from scratch seemingly for the sake of it.

Alternatively it could be some sort of remnant of the Empire with some kind of Moff as the big bad, which would also create the atmosphere of tying up loose ends and telling tales unfinished. But then you ain't got no lightsaber duels.

And Star Wars needs lightsaber duels. :D

The Ancient Fear? Heck it doesn't even make sense. How can you have fear that's ancient? Your dead! Its also a bit phonetically weak, as in the way it sounds, namely because the 'fear' just trails off. It lacks oomph I feel.

The Ghost of Exar - Kun !! and some EU lore might get validation ... if we're just speculating on what the 'ancient Evil' might be ... According to 'Jedi vs Sith, The Essential Guide to The Force' Which is a Del Rey publication with a Lucas Film copyright. 30 ABY(where EP 7 is said to be set) The new established Jedi order relocates on Ossus once more. could the historical events on Ossus be some sort of clue . . . http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/04/disney-and-del-rey-announce-new-qunified-canonq-for-upcoming-star-wars-expanded-universe-novels

Edited by t-darko

The Ghost of Exar - Kun !! and some EU lore might get validation ... if we're just speculating on what the 'ancient Evil' might be ... According to 'Jedi vs Sith, The Essential Guide to The Force' Which is a Del Rey publication with a Lucas Film copyright. 30 ABY(where EP 7 is said to be set) The new established Jedi order relocates on Ossus once more. could the historical events on Ossus be some sort of clue . . . http://www.tor.com/blogs/2014/04/disney-and-del-rey-announce-new-qunified-canonq-for-upcoming-star-wars-expanded-universe-novels
That's non-canon now, and they'd already said they are not using that material. Edited by Beniboybling

I don't like it. It doesn't sound Star Warsy at all to me and honestly is it little stale sounding in general.

Well to be fair, neither did/does "Attack of the Clones". I still think that sounds more like one of those chessy 1960s B-movies.

And besides, aren't most of our deep-seated fears ancient--e.g. death, suffering, disease, loss? In reality very few, if any of our fears are actually "new"; what we may see as new fears are more often than not just contemporary incarnations of long-existing fears.

Edited by Sanguiluna

Well to be fair, neither did/does "Attack of the Clones". I still think that sounds more like one of those chessy 1960s B-movies.

And besides, aren't most of our deep-seated fears ancient--e.g. death, suffering, disease, loss? In reality very few, if any of our fears are actually "new"; what we may see as new fears are more often than not just contemporary incarnations of long-existing fears.

Lol, perhaps. But Attack of (insert monster here) caught on for a reason, it works, it grabs your attention. This just doesn't, its not that its cheesy it just sucks in general IMO.

However this gives me hope, taken from here.

Now it's fair to point out that the guys from AICN posted something similar back in 2004 about the Revenge of the Sith title turned out not to be true. Here's a quote from the 2004 article:

... Lucasfilm will be announcing the title of Episode 3 early next week, and they were rushing to reprint some artwork with the new title to take to MIP.

The title had been 'Rise of the Empire', but George Lucas recently changed his mind, and it will now be titled 'The Creeping Fear'. This refers to a hooded Death type character who wipes out the Jedi.

The two stories are suspiciously similar, still anything is possible.

Similar indeed, as in crap and lackluster. I shudder to imagine what Star Wars would be if this had been true.

Anyway I suppose it makes sense in that respect, but I have a feeling they are actually referring to something specific. And if they are not they should be, a general title referring to vague concepts is no title at all.

EDIT: On top of that Jedi don't fear! Or at least they are not supposed to... So whose doing the fearing? Now lets not start on this individual embodying fear itself none of that mumbo jumbo thank you.

Edited by Beniboybling

That's non-canon now, and they'd already said they are not using that material.

I beg to differ, old Chap, as u didn't read as firmly as I expected I took the liberty to draw this qoute from the TOR.Com

"In addition, it has been confirmed that content from the Star Wars Legends line will always be available to the writers of current Star Wars media for inspiration and usage."

Feel free to read it again ...

I beg to differ, old Chap, as u didn't read as firmly as I expected I took the liberty to draw this qoute from the TOR.Com

"In addition, it has been confirmed that content from the Star Wars Legends line will always be available to the writers of current Star Wars media for inspiration and usage."

Feel free to read it again ...

As a resource, but it remains non-canonical I'm afraid.

Not that that means it didn't happen, it just didn't officially happen.

No offense but your kidding yourself if you think players of TOR or even those aware of the Old Republic era full stop even begin to make up a large portion of the audience this film is directed at, or even Star Wars fans in general.

We are unfortunately, the minority, and Disney understands this.

Actually what I was trying to convey is, use TOR lore in the new movie to bring more customers to the game. Not use the player base to help sell the movie. But it will not hurt the movie to bring all of us in to buy a movie ticket.

That being said my original reference was to the original concept art picture of the face off between the Emperor and the Jedi knight from this game.

The only "ancient" enemies I can think of is:

1) The Emperor.

2) Ableroth.

3) The Rakata.

4) The lost tribe of the Sith.

Pleuguis(spelling) is not ancient nor was he even powerful enuff to be the villian for 3 new movies. Actually My bet now that I think about it is "The lost Tribe of the Sith". Because fans of the movies have no concept that before Bane there were thousands of Sith not just two. And the tribe would be plenty of bad guys to run through three movies IMO.

Fair enough, but Disney have already said they are using new material, nothing from the post-ROTJ like Abeloth or the Lost Tribe of the Sith. And altogether they've reinforced that they are not beholden to the EU, I really doubt (even if this is the actual title) that this "ancient" will be any specific we have seen in the EU, its too restricting from a creative point of view and it will alienate audiences unfamiliar with these characters. But honestly I believe this rumor is false.

Fair enough, but Disney have already said they are using new material, nothing from the post-ROTJ like Abeloth or the Lost Tribe of the Sith. And altogether they've reinforced that they are not beholden to the EU, I really doubt (even if this is the actual title) that this "ancient" will be any specific we have seen in the EU, its too restricting from a creative point of view and it will alienate audiences unfamiliar with these characters. But honestly I believe this rumor is false.

thought on plaegis thing. When i first heard about him i never assumed he was actually Sidious's master. I always imagined he was a sith that Sidious's Master told him about and that this Plaegus was as Sidious said, an ancient sith tale. In fact nothing in the tale about him having been able to stop people from dieing could be true, it could all just be a tale and nothing more. Something to entice the young sith about.

I never read the Novel, but personally i wouldnt mind a movie that explored that idea. That plaegus wasnt Sidious's master but instead just a tale that Sidious's master once told him about the master of some ancient sith that was in no relation to the Banite sith.

thought on plaegis thing. When i first heard about him i never assumed he was actually Sidious's master. I always imagined he was a sith that Sidious's Master told him about and that this Plaegus was as Sidious said, an ancient sith tale. In fact nothing in the tale about him having been able to stop people from dieing could be true, it could all just be a tale and nothing more. Something to entice the young sith about.

I never read the Novel, but personally i wouldnt mind a movie that explored that idea. That plaegus wasnt Sidious's master but instead just a tale that Sidious's master once told him about the master of some ancient sith that was in no relation to the Banite sith.

The novel I believe has Sidious state that Plagueis was his master, and that has been confirmed as canon (unless it contradicts the movies) and the Databank confirmed this. So I'm pretty sure that won't change.

Personally I'd rather that didn't happen, Plagueis being Sidious' master really adds weight to that scene especially the way in which Sidious really seems to connect with it, as if it really happened, and it did and he was responsible.

Darth Plagueis is an excellent novel, one of the best EU books out there, I strongly recommend you read it.