Operatives use cover?

Grumsby

I really like the idea of a melee stealther that heals. I'd like to go healer with an operative. My only problem is I really don't see how a melee healer would sit there kneeling in a corner during fights. Do Operative healers use cover during fights or are they up the slicing and dicing between heals?

Thanks ahead of time.

Cover is an interesting utility when tossing heals while under fire in PvP or to quickly move around the world if you exploit the rolls from maximum distance. However, during boss fights and most PvE situations, yes you will want to be backstabbing in between heals. It is not a central mechanic to success as it is for a sniper.

I would like to point out that just because the Operative AC leads to the melee DPS tree, this in no way makes you a melee healer.

None of your heal abilities, require that you use a melee ability to trigger them.

They are not for example anything like, Disciples of Kaine from WAR where your melee attacks actually caused your defensive target to heal for "X" damage.

You can stand far from melee and effectively heal.

Edited by Tenchu

I really like the idea of a melee stealther that heals. I'd like to go healer with an operative. My only problem is I really don't see how a melee healer would sit there kneeling in a corner during fights. Do Operative healers use cover during fights or are they up the slicing and dicing between heals?

Thanks ahead of time.

I was a Operative all through Beta, you are not considered a healer. You sneak up, stab, and whip out your rifle for people just out of melee range. You have heals but it's more to cover you and maybe a friend.

If you want to be a healer + non-Force look at Trooper-Commando or BH-Merc.

If you want to be a healer + Force look at Consular-Sage or Inquisitor-Sorcerer.

Also Cover is not Stealth, it's hiding behind rocks for additional cover. If you want Stealth you need to be a Operative, Scoundrel, Assassin, or Shadow.

A healing specced Operative is just as good a healer as the others.

Anyways, the thread was already almost perfectly answered in post #2. Any Operative that doesn't use Cover to at least get around the battlefield quickly is a fail. The one thing the poster didn't mention was pre-empting all those Jedi/Sith who are trying to Force Charge you.

Edited by revial

I was a Operative all through Beta, you are not considered a healer. You sneak up, stab, and whip out your rifle for people just out of melee range. You have heals but it's more to cover you and maybe a friend.

If you want to be a healer + Force look at Consular-Sage or Inquisitor-Sorcerer.

Also Cover is not Stealth, it's hiding behind rocks for additional cover. If you want Stealth you need to be a Operative, Scoundrel, Assassin, or Shadow.

Operative healers are fine.

The range you choose to heal from is up to you. I spent as much time in melee as possible so I could use my knife attacks, when questing. During more demanding situations, I just dropped back a bit and focused solely on healing.

A healing specced Operative is just as good a healer as the others.

Anyways, the thread was already almost perfectly answered in post #2. Any Operative that doesn't use Cover to at least get around the battlefield quickly is a fail. The one thing the poster didn't mention was pre-empting all those Jedi/Sith who are trying to Force Charge you.

I don't recall the original post including anything about pvp.

He wanted to know if Operatives -had- to heal from cover. And no, they don't. There will be situations where it's unwise to get into melee, and sometimes cover is a very good idea (the quoted examples are good), but it's not mandatory for healing.

Hey, I played Operative healer during all my beta time and they heal just as good as the other two :(

PVP Operative healers will find cover quite useful because some DPS abilities of your enemy can't be used on targets that are in cover. (Harpoon (Trooper) and Force Leap as the 2 prime examples)

(and all Operatives get stealth regardless of their talent choice)

In PvE I found it less useful. It's nice to have a fast way out of fire and to minimize some damage from ranged mobs that you may get aggro from. I do however prefer the mobility and while you have plenty of cover options in a newbie flashpoint like the Black Talon, there won't be as many options later on.

Edited by Wandur

wow so much phail. just because someone played something does not mean they did it well. I give the poster the short bus rider of the year award for not understanding what they played "all thru beta"

Operatives use cover like Snipers use their knives.

It's there, and if you find yourself in a situation where it happens to be the best move to do, you do it. On the other hand, it's not part of the plan and you don't form your strategy around it, typically.

Thanks all for all the information. I was not interested in cover's use in PvP since i am not planning on PvP'ing, I should have specified that up front.

All in all I am pretty excited about the operative as a healer, and I am glad that I wont have to use cover if I dont want to without gimping myself.

Operatives do not ever NEED to use cover. That said, all of our heals can be used from cover, so it's possible and frequently useful to heal from cover. Definitely not required though.

I wouldn't think you'd ever want to be in melee range as a healer anyway. If you're taking an active healer role/spec you're not going to have the time or energy to be using attacks. (Backstab is only free if you spec concealment.)

Edited by Phated