Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

pug tanking trends

Torvai
05.19.2015 , 08:49 AM | #61
Quote: Originally Posted by HBCentaurion View Post
Interesting discussion.

Come to think of it - I have a crazy idea about guarding in PVE.

How about if the tank - wait for it - actually guard swaps..? I know, I know, it's sounds like a hazzle and requires raid awareness and clicking...but just think about it. Maybe guard that bursty DPS that doesn't know he has a aggro drop at the start of the fight, and then maybe swap guards during the fight depending on the situation? Like ie. a healer / DPS is getting overwhelmed by adds on Sparky HM - you swap guards to that person (and intercede). I know - it sounds totally crazy, but maybe give it a shot?
Interesting thought, and there are fights where tanks actually (should) do it. The thing is: If a dps or heal get swarmed by adds in PvE, you don't swap guard for it. You AoE taunt
But on fights like Brontes NiM for example, it was a common tactic to guard dps for the first few phases and then switch guard to a healer during the laser/droid phase transition. This way, healers rarely got aggro from Brontes and get punted around in the last phase, making it easier on the healers. At least that's ho I'm used to do it.

AlixMV
05.19.2015 , 04:15 PM | #62
Quote: Originally Posted by bdatt View Post
It's fun being the off tank on blaster, pulling threat on the 2nd GCD (even when doing a low threat opener) and cleaving the raid.
Well, at the risk of being cheeky: ur doin' it wrong.

I generally let my co-tank take Blaster, but I also habitually pull threat off him during the opener--that knockback is a *****. I've simply learned to position myself at a 120 degree angle from both him and our DPS+Healer group so that when I do pull, I'm not cleaving the raid. I'm not doing anything useful as a tank in Phase One, anyway, so might as well lend my threat generation to the effort in a productive fashion. He taunts back when he can, and we're generally golden after that.

Quote: Originally Posted by straseed View Post
If your DPS can't pull aggro off of you, they aren't very good.
Agreed. I actually have a year-long friendly rivalry going with our top DPS--he wins if he rips aggro off me, I win if he doesn't. Keeps both of us honest in terms of our roles.

Quote: Originally Posted by akisgood View Post
JAs a dps it really irks me when there isn't a guard out for the DR. For *some* tanks I'm pretty sure it's an ego thing...
Haha. I can confirm that it is.

Until reading this thread, I hadn't really considered the use of guard for damage reduction (which thought was a PVP thing), only threat mitigation (especially on that DPS ).

But I have occasionally co-tanked with someone who habitually won't use a Guard even for threat mitigation because "I shouldn't need it".

(My take: use all the tools in your toolbox, or you're not playing up to your potential.)

Quote: Originally Posted by Torvai View Post
Interesting thought, and there are fights where tanks actually (should) do it.
It got mentioned upthread, but this was our regular tactic on the final TfB boss. DPS got the guards for phase one, but we slapped guards on the healers when we got teleported into phase two.

I'm going to have to take another look to see if there are more places where I should be doing it.
~ < Fortitude > ~ Jedi Covenant ~
Referral link
Sollyni ~ Annifryd
Ni'rys'hyl ~ Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee

HBCentaurion
05.20.2015 , 04:59 AM | #63
Interesting thought, and there are fights where tanks actually (should) do it. The thing is: If a dps or heal get swarmed by adds in PvE, you don't swap guard for it. You AoE taunt
But on fights like Brontes NiM for example, it was a common tactic to guard dps for the first few phases and then switch guard to a healer during the laser/droid phase transition. This way, healers rarely got aggro from Brontes and get punted around in the last phase, making it easier on the healers. At least that's ho I'm used to do it.
Yeah. I feel like guard swapping (and interceding) in PVE is underutilized. I consider them a tool in the toolbox, and during progression I always try to make things easier and get that little extra edge. During raids I always keep an eye on the operations frame, and see if someone is taking damage and swap around my guard. Example is Revan first floor where HK has a tendency to snipe the healers. Another is (was) on Nefra NiM where I would intercede my co-tank and AOE taunt.

My two cents is that tanks should keep an eye on the operations frame and swap guard accordingly. Don't just smack guard on someone and let it be - use it as a tool.

wadecounty
05.30.2015 , 08:26 PM | #64
Guard swapping in PvE is fine as long as you remember it costs a GCD so its not something you'd want to do regularly, mostly more for phase changes and things of that nature where you aren't actively fighting.
Kandel - Juggernaut Lef - Guardian
Nyeetra - Assassin Milarra - Sage
Lendros - Mercenary Jakor - Vanguard
Iseline - Operative Lysandere - Gunslinger

ShadessaWayland
08.05.2015 , 06:18 AM | #65
i was kicked because i didt taunt the mobs -.-
first off all mops are all spread out of the field i never can get them all to argo me

second those stupid sith inq with there push skill keep KB the mops away from me
its for me a jugg very very hard to keep them all to me

but its always a big problem in most mmorpg players get pissed off by classes that keep KB mobs away from the tanker
next time i kick ea sith inq that use that skill i hope some day they learn from it

happysister
08.08.2015 , 05:22 PM | #66
Quote: Originally Posted by AlixMV View Post
Haha. I can confirm that it is.

Until reading this thread, I hadn't really considered the use of guard for damage reduction (which thought was a PVP thing), only threat mitigation (especially on that DPS ).

But I have occasionally co-tanked with someone who habitually won't use a Guard even for threat mitigation because "I shouldn't need it".

(My take: use all the tools in your toolbox, or you're not playing up to your potential.)
correction: i don't use guard in FPs or SM ops to practice my threat generating skills. i guard in HM/NiM ops because those are not where you practice threat generating skills, lol. get it right, gawd.
<Fortitude>
Lorhin - Gunslinger | Sashel - Scoundrel
Shylar - Guardian | Meewa - Sage
RIP my old servers [The Corsair, Canderous Ordo, Jedi Covenant] .

OdinStormblade
08.09.2015 , 09:21 AM | #67
Quote: Originally Posted by Methoxa View Post
Thats actually what good tanks do. Putting guard on players that receive the most dmg because dps should never pull aggro.
So, you are guarding a role that doesn't draw aggro just for a 5% damage reduction that has a range of 15m... GG.

Torvai
08.10.2015 , 04:17 AM | #68
Quote: Originally Posted by OdinStormblade View Post
So, you are guarding a role that doesn't draw aggro just for a 5% damage reduction that has a range of 15m... GG.
Read the tooltip again. It clearly states "as long as the target is guarded, it takes 5% less damage". The 15m range is only relevant for the 50% damage transfer that only works in PvP.

OdinStormblade
08.11.2015 , 09:11 AM | #69
Read the tooltip again. It clearly states "as long as the target is guarded, it takes 5% less damage". The 15m range is only relevant for the 50% damage transfer that only works in PvP.
Well, yes. And no. The range for the 5% damage reduction is 30m. The 15m are from the 50% damage reduction of Assas/Shadows, so you're technically right, and I was wrong on that one.
The threat reduction on the other side has no required range, as far as I know.

Gardimuer
08.11.2015 , 06:22 PM | #70
Quote: Originally Posted by OdinStormblade View Post
The 15m are from the 50% damage reduction of Assas/Shadows, so you're technically right, and I was wrong on that one.
Um... I don't know what alleged Assassin/Shadow 50% damage reduction you are talking about. Maybe you are thinking of the "Insulation"/"Shadowy Veil" utility? That only gives +3% damage reduction at max stacks, and it has no max range.