Server Merge Discussion Thread

EricMusco

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting you should say that...I think it has more to do with how you act than anything else.

That is very possible.

After all, if a player with a toxic attitude would be far less likely to recognize that toxic attitude in anyone else.

I cannot help but wonder what that says about those who claim that Harbinger is "not that bad" when so many have stated that Harbinger is a cesspool, including some of those advocating server merges.

You can find "trolls" on any server. Harbinger has a higher population than the other servers so it would stand to reason that Harbinger would also have a higher number of "trolls". Harbinger also happens to have the highest percentage of "trolls" among its population.

In addition, there is one particular guild (more accurately, a group of guilds) that seems to have a requirement that its members must be "trolls". I have never seen a player with one of those guild tags that was not a complete and total d-bag.

I'm not reposting my original statement. If you're truly interested, back-track & read the rest of the thread. It's not my problem I can't fix, it's my guilds problem.

I don't know who those guilds were. I've been a GM since beta & we were made whole again the day after mergers. Customer Service got back to me very rapidly.

So because it didn't happen to you it doesn't matter or count that it did to others, like my guild.

So because it didn't happen to you it doesn't matter or count that it did to others, like my guild.

Hell, my guild never got their guild bank tabs restored. The GM was promised they would be, but after 2-3 months we got tired of waiting and rebought them, because they had to put all the stuff they moved from the old guild bank somewhere. EAWare dropped the ball with my guild, and with a lot of other guilds I interacted with back then. I know some people did get reimbursement but (at least on Ebon Hawk) that seemed to be a minority of players and it usually took months.

• Dev Post

Hey all,

Someone indicated we haven't posted in this thread since we kicked it off. As we stated in the opening post, we are not ready to discuss anything, yet, The purpose of the thread was to consolidate all the various posts about the topic so it's all contained in one place. All of your comments will absolutely have an impact on how and what we decide with respect to server populations.

Keith---

The first was a flop. This one would need to be significantly better.

It's a shame they don't just make a swtor 2 and start from scratch.

For the love of god we need a swtor 2. With a decent engine and real expansions. Only if I can port my merc in though!

It's a shame they don't just make a swtor 2 and start from scratch.

For the love of god we need a swtor 2. With a decent engine and real expansions. Only if I can port my merc in though!

I second this! But I do want to keep my Arcann.:rak_03:

Edited by Eshvara

I'm all about cross server play. For the last 5 years I've been identified in this game as my main. If I had to name change I'd quit the game.

Also I find there is a fairly simple solution to that. Just make people's names different colors based on what server they transferred from. Would make it easier to find your friends after a merger.. I call green.

Interestingly enough I read an article 3 years ago that hinted at swtor 2 being designed. The source in the article was supposed to be an inside Bioware leaker.

The story was supposed to be many years past the swtor time line and the plan was to allow us to port our current characters over and it would work because they'd been captured and frozen in carbonite... 😉

Now, doesn't that sound a little familiar?

Maybe the source mistook the idea to be swtor 2 or maybe it was swtor 2 and EA pulled the plug and told them to use the idea as an expansion.. either way, this is what we got instead of swtor 2

Edited by Icykill_

Hey all,

Someone indicated we haven't posted in this thread since we kicked it off. As we stated in the opening post, we are not ready to discuss anything, yet, The purpose of the thread was to consolidate all the various posts about the topic so it's all contained in one place. All of your comments will absolutely have an impact on how and what we decide with respect to server populations.

Keith---

While we do understand that there's nothing directly to be said, such as "yes we're doing mergers" or "no, we're not doing mergers" I do think a few posts are needed just so you can guide the discussion in the right direction.

For example, there are a LOT of posts saying cross server is better than mergers, followed by people saying "but they said that cross server is impossible", followed by "that was two years ago, not now" and "we need to force them anyways". Simply specifying whether cross server is even a remote possibility will stop the pages and pages of discussion we have of people saying "my speculation is better than yours!!"

Likewise, there are hundreds of posts that go under the assumption "if the devs manage to merge without loss of assets, theni want merges because x y z" which only get countered by people constantly talking about the assets and ignoring the other concerns. If you could at least give a general statement on whether the merging has been improved since the last round of merges, that'll help curtail pointless speculation from both sides.

Also a lot of players feel "we can't answer this question yet" isn't a valid answer anymore, given that all but the most populated servers have no hardcore communities, and population has been on a steady decline for too long, and a good chunk of the servers have 5-10 people playing online at any given time. Their concerns do need to be addressed, and saying you have no plans to deal with population problems in the near future does NOT inspire any confidence.

Edited by EzioMessi

Well at least Keith is reading the thread but not yet indicating if SWTOR 2 was actually Battlefront 1, almost 2 in November.

For real SWTOR 2, please read this thread about 64BIT/DX12 Game Cleint if they are doing a real SWTOR 2 http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=289744

Getting back to this thread a free merge may need to be months away hopefully keep Guiild stuff intact on the way over to server consolidation. To port into SWTOR2 we can wait a few more months, please keep our toons and guilds intact!.

Edited by IntegrationArch

Well at least Keith is reading the thread but not yet indicating if SWTOR 2 was actually Battlefront 1, almost 2 in November.

For real SWTOR 2, please read this thread about 64BIT/DX12 Game Cleint if they are doing a real SWTOR 2 http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=289744

Getting back to this thread a free merge may need to be months away hopefully keep Guiild stuff intact on the way over to server consolidation. To port into SWTOR2 we can wait a few more months, please keep our toons and guilds intact!.

Wow, that blue is so dark I can't read it

Well at least Keith is reading the thread but not yet indicating if SWTOR 2 was actually Battlefront PC/XBOX/PS Reboot, and it gets version 2 in November.

For real SWTOR 2, please read this thread about 64BIT/DX12 Game Cleint if they are doing a real SWTOR 2 PC64/xboxs/PS4/PS5 http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=289744

Then again SWTOR2 on PC64/XBOXS/PS5 might want to start over.

Perhaps we need a SWTOR v1.5 64BIT DX 12 keeping just the PC Platform and HeroEngine that other BW uses today that would be less costly for BW to finish and easier to migrate us over.

Justification on SWTOR v1.5 using a 64bit Server is they could have 4 ot 8 TB of Memory, a few 40 core CPU'S and host much more concurrent toon populations and be responsive with no trouble.

People... you know there is no SWTOR 2.0 incoming? Really, on Reddit there was this guy (or gal, idk) who had this crazy theory everything indicated that they were developing a sequel to this game. They're not doing that! They have too many resources already invested in this game to attempt something of the sorts.

Do I think the story needs a reboot? Yeah, I'd love to get fully back to the Republic vs Empire, Sith vs Jedi theme and abandon the whole Alliance/Zakuul thing. But that will not happen as this is the course taken and how it will continue. There is no SWTOR 2.0 incoming and I will sooner turn into a Gizka than that a sequel to this MMO will be produced.

People... you know there is no SWTOR 2.0 incoming? Really, on Reddit there was this guy (or gal, idk) who had this crazy theory everything indicated that they were developing a sequel to this game. They're not doing that! They have too many resources already invested in this game to attempt something of the sorts.

Do I think the story needs a reboot? Yeah, I'd love to get fully back to the Republic vs Empire, Sith vs Jedi theme and abandon the whole Alliance/Zakuul thing. But that will not happen as this is the course taken and how it will continue. There is no SWTOR 2.0 incoming and I will sooner turn into a Gizka than that a sequel to this MMO will be produced.

I am not in a position to say whether you are right or wrong one way or another.

But even if there was a SWTOR being developed, it likely wouldn't be done by this team - they already have their hands full with SWTOR I.

The way to really have an idea if they are working on this is to watch for mass hirings for projects that, while they don't say star wars, sound like star wars without mentioning it specifically. If there is a ramp up for hires in BioWare, that's the first inkling you get of it.

That being said, if there is ever a SWTOR 2, my suggestions would be thus:

• Don't call it SWTOR 2 - Make this a reboot done with full blessing of Lucasfilm so that it can be Canon.
  • Cartel Market and Fremium from the beginning - no, really. Because as much as the players pushed back on microtransactions pre SWTOR launch, if they had the cartel market and this sub model from the beginning, my guess is the original dev team would still be here and we'd have had a continuation of class stories, thanks to that revenue.
  • Whatever story you tell, make it have a beginning, middle and END. Having a set end point and a set target level will allow costs to be budgeted better, and we won't run into things like Makeb where all the class stories are gutted for factions stories.

Frankly, I'd be all for a total reboot. Play with people's expectations.

As much as some people are Revan-weary, I'd make a SWTOR 2 a reboot of the franchise, and tell the story of Kotor again, but with some twists - change up the story a little, you run into the classic characters but in different roles, you pick up a companion smuggler and are in pursuit of most of the early game of Revan, only to later find out your COMPANION is Revan (minus memories) and the Jedi council set up the wild goose chase to retrace Revan's steps to try to locate the star forge before Malak, and so on. Play with people's expectations. Set them up for something familiar, only to pull the rug out from under them. Stay true to the original characters, yet give them added depth and put in a few surprises.

And for good measure? I'd even say to hell with the old timeline and incorporate TOR surprises as well - What if after defeating Darth Malak in act 3 and blowing up the star forge, you and your Revan companion get a visit from a very familiar assassination droid, who calls Revan master (even though he can't remember ever owning a droid ;) ) and has a holo from another sith who has been quietly monitoring Revan's progress, seeing he beat Malak, and wanting help in overthrowing the Emperor who sent Malak and Revan out as an advanced party to weaken the republic for takeover. And that sith turns out to be Darth Malgus.

I think you can really play with the story while getting things in line to be kosher with the greater Star Wars continuity. Since SWTOR is all legends anyway, you can re-incorporate some of the favorite characters into a new story. I think it could work.

Edited by ZionHalcyon

Hey all,

Keith---

Thank you Keith. It's nice to know you guys are reading. :)

Hey all,

Keith---

Keith we need cross-server warzones, fps, ops, uprisings queues! It is very important since will solve different problems (faction imbalance, low population on different servers, prevent new players leaving the game because of starting on dead servers such as tomb of fredon nadd, the bastion etc). Dont you guys understand this? SWTOR Desperately needs CROSS- SERVER queues, why are you ignoring it? Or at least all EU and USA server merges into two mega servers. However, cross-server queues is better due to less problems it may cause. Thanks for reading this thread! We hope you understand what swtor needs.

Edited by omaan

Sadly I just got finished listening to the Bad Feeling podcast (162 if i recall correctly) where Keith was interviewed. He states that the current hardware isn't capable of cross server. Its not the engine. I am not someone who could explain it to you so i recommend listening to the interview. He sounds sincere on that aspect

Sadly I just got finished listening to the Bad Feeling podcast (162 if i recall correctly) where Keith was interviewed. He states that the current hardware isn't capable of cross server. Its not the engine. I am not someone who could explain it to you so i recommend listening to the interview. He sounds sincere on that aspect

When was it recoded?

Remember we just had a data centre move and upgrade, so maybe the hardware is being prepared.