Madness force management?

taxidermis

Hey all. Normally main a tank and previously commando dps. Just leveled up a madness sorcerer, and while in pvp and questing I face roll everything. I'm having trouble on longer fights running out of force. I use recklessness and polarity shift on CD, keep my two dots on target, death field on CD, demolish whenever procced, shock or lighting strike otherwise, and spam force lightning as filler. Level 61 atm, did dread palace yesterday. Found it was parsing at 3.8 k for first 1.5 mins on dread council then dropped to 2k as I was out of force. What are your guys rotation priority system to keep good force level ?

Welcome to the issue that all Madness/Balance have... I main a balance sage and have the same issue as you do here, there is no way around it the rotation that we have is force negative. Here is the main part of the rotation that I use and it serves me very well in raiding:

Death Field

Proc'ed Demolish

Creeping Terror

Affliction

Force Leech

Force Lightening

Proc'ed Lightening Strike

Force Lightening

Force Lightening Clipped

I tend to use recklessness before a death field (when no adds there) so that the stacks from the set bonus will cover death field, demolish and leech. I also use polarity shift pretty much on cool down, unless burn phase or something like that is coming up

obviously some bosses will be worse for force management than other but that is how it is. I hope this helps you.

Hope this helps you a bit

GEM

Disclaimer: this is not an optimized rotation, it is one I made up myself. You will not get the highest dummy parse numbers with it.

you will run out of force! you will curse the devs who have left it this way for years now! you will spam consumption, while keeping one eye on starparse to see how bad it is hurting you!

or you will reroll something besides madness sorc. it's just our way of life.

Lol its that hopeless is it? I love the initial 2 mins of any boss fight, I can pull off the tank 2 times even with aggro drop used on CD. And usually this after I ask for a guard and they tell me nah the sniper or the merc will pull off me. Pull aggro twice and suddenly the blue bubble shows up on me lol. Personally I main a jugg tank and usually guard a madness sorcerer then switch to a merc or sniper after first 4 mins.

If you are running out of Force as Madness sorc, your alacrity is too low.

that doesn't even make sense. alacrity speeds up force regen, but it also reduces the cooldowns on your abilities by the exact same proportion. the net effect for force management is zero, irregardless of how much alacrity you have.

ya first off, in pve after 5-6 minutes of constant casting, you will be out of force for single target, my opener is typically hard cast demolish ~> dots ~> Polarity shift/recklessness death field ~> force leech ~> force lightning spam, then after that matter of keeping dots up and death field, force leech, and demolish on cd, spam force lightning, only use shock or lightning strike if i'm forced to move

good guide for exact rotation http://dulfy.net/2015/11/12/swtor-4-0-balance-sage-pve-guide-by-splizza/#Single_Target_Rotation (sorry they didn't do a sorc variant, but its the same, just abilities have different names)

other tricks are to know when fights have breaks in them (like in palace after making all 4 dread masters return to the throne, there's a few second break where they mono log, hit consuming darkness then) other trick is in any fight with multiple targets, make sure to aim your death field to dot spread to multiple targets, each target you dot spread to is 30 force returned

• 3 weeks later...

With PVP you'll always have bursty periods that you'll get yourself in trouble with. It's a trade off. Force lightning gives you the most force back, it's also the second most visible attention grabbing attack, so you may find yourself doing more dotting, running and bursting. Static Barrier, lightning strike and shock are not really part of a normal madness rotation. Use at your own risk energy wise.

Since PVP fights are shorter alacrity will help you regen in between them, as well as the increased general damage. So include at least some. Good Sorcs are "slippery" also and forcespeed/phase walk/super bubble every time you think you've got them, all those are good regen times.

The simplest PVE rotation is Affliction, Creeping Terror, Death Field, Force Leach, 2 Force Lightnings, Demolish, 2 force lightnings, repeat. If you're able to get some free casting time for that in pvp go for it.

Be sure to do force leach when you have affliction and Death mark on the target, you get 25% more damage and 15 force returned.

you will run out of force! you will curse the devs who have left it this way for years now! you will spam consumption, while keeping one eye on starparse to see how bad it is hurting you!

or you will reroll something besides madness sorc. it's just our way of life.

LOL you just perfectly described life as a corruption sorc!

• 1 month later...
ya first off, in pve after 5-6 minutes of constant casting, you will be out of force for single target, my opener is typically hard cast demolish ~> dots ~> Polarity shift/recklessness death field ~> force leech ~> force lightning spam, then after that matter of keeping dots up and death field, force leech, and demolish on cd, spam force lightning, only use shock or lightning strike if i'm forced to move

good guide for exact rotation http://dulfy.net/2015/11/12/swtor-4-0-balance-sage-pve-guide-by-splizza/#Single_Target_Rotation (sorry they didn't do a sorc variant, but its the same, just abilities have different names)

other tricks are to know when fights have breaks in them (like in palace after making all 4 dread masters return to the throne, there's a few second break where they mono log, hit consuming darkness then) other trick is in any fight with multiple targets, make sure to aim your death field to dot spread to multiple targets, each target you dot spread to is 30 force returned

Tip: use polarity shift before placing dots. it increases alacrity so increases dots tickles on target.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey all. Normally main a tank and previously commando dps. Just leveled up a madness sorcerer, and while in pvp and questing I face roll everything. I'm having trouble on longer fights running out of force. I use recklessness and polarity shift on CD, keep my two dots on target, death field on CD, demolish whenever procced, shock or lighting strike otherwise, and spam force lightning as filler. Level 61 atm, did dread palace yesterday. Found it was parsing at 3.8 k for first 1.5 mins on dread council then dropped to 2k as I was out of force. What are your guys rotation priority system to keep good force level ?

Madness force management sucks. Next question ;)