Sents/Maras in PvP

Koppster

I hear a lot of soundbite about how these classes are dogmeat for a sorc/sage.

Not seeing it myself. I simply have less tools to keep them off me than they have to stay in melee range, or get in melee range should I get some distance.

As madness, I have very little burst damage to call on so I'm relying on sustained, which is crap. Should I try to set up my limited burst window with Lightning/Leech/Proc, they have defensive cd's to blow it off while they get back to smashing my face in.

What am I doing wrong? Force slow is useless, I'm perma-snared and rooted by Master Strike when it's off cd. I can't create distance as they just Force Leap back in my face.

Not seeing it myself. I simply have less tools to keep them off me than they have to stay in melee range, or get in melee range should I get some distance.

As madness, I have very little burst damage to call on so I'm relying on sustained, which is crap. Should I try to set up my limited burst window with Lightning/Leech/Proc, they have defensive cd's to blow it off while they get back to smashing my face in.

What am I doing wrong? Force slow is useless, I'm perma-snared and rooted by Master Strike when it's off cd. I can't create distance as they just Force Leap back in my face.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of Madness myself, I kind of struggle to play it at all... :o

Still, I usually play Lightning Sorc, and tbh Mara/Sents are never really a problem to me. Jugg/Guardians are harder to face at least in my experience. ;)

The way I deal with them is usually by making myself a frustrating target to stay on. My utilities emphasize disengage: Force Speed CD decrease and root break (Emersion and Force Haste), Overload heal (Force Suffusion, because why not? Some splash healing is always nice to have :p ), cast on the move (Force Mobility), dmg reduction in general (Sith Defiance). And Force Storm dmg increase (Tempest Mastery), but... Yeah. :rolleyes:

Anyways, when a Mara/Sent decides to target me, most of the times all I have to do to scrub it off my back is to move closer to my group. They'll usually lend a hand. If that guy stubbornly keeps staying on me, or my team doesn't bother helping me, I stay on the move.

He roots me? I Force Speed away.

He charges at me? I Overload and walk away. ;)

Most of the times at this point I'm close to having Force Speed available again, but in case of an emergency I can still stun. And in case of yet another emergency, godbubble has a 1:30 CD for me, so... :D

All you have to do is figure what's best for you with the utilities you chose. GL, and have fun! :)

Doesn't matter what I do, it seems to me that unless I have assistance in any fight v melee, their stay in range ability trumps my get out of the way abilities every single time. I'm so busy mashing cooldowns, snares and heals trying to keep them away and myself alive that I can't do much damage.

It's worse as Lightning, as there's practically no opportunities to create a burst window, as the reliance on hard-casting means you're shut down & interrupted pretty much constantly.

Your only hope is to snipe them while they're busy with someone else, but even then this class is sub-par at that with paltry crits on hard cast abilities compared to other ranged classes and no "execute" style attack to finish anyone off.

Our heals are crap and we're not even a glass cannon, more like a glass pea-shooter.

Think I'll just roll a vanguard and global peeps while I spam /lol emotes at them.

Edited by Koppster

Doesn't matter what I do, it seems to me that unless I have assistance in any fight v melee, their stay in range ability trumps my get out of the way abilities every single time. I'm so busy mashing cooldowns, snares and heals trying to keep them away and myself alive that I can't do much damage.

It's worse as Lightning, as there's practically no opportunities to create a burst window, as the reliance on hard-casting means you're shut down & interrupted pretty much constantly.

Your only hope is to snipe them while they're busy with someone else, but even then this class is sub-par at that with paltry crits on hard cast abilities compared to other ranged classes and no "execute" style attack to finish anyone off.

Our heals are crap and we're not even a glass cannon, more like a glass pea-shooter.

Think I'll just roll a vanguard and global peeps while I spam /lol emotes at them.

Welcome aboard, main sorc since d1, i now play vanguard :cool:

Man, it's easy. If they are using master strike / ravage, use hard stun or knockback (with knockback root utility), get the bubble stun utility so that when they start hitting you and your force armor / static barrier ends, it mezzes them (bonus points for you if it mezzes them and interrupts ravege / master strike), spec the "egress" utility point that makes you immune to roots and snares during force speed. When you are low, use force barrier, heal to full, then finish them off.

As madness / balance, you get lots of roots and snares. Use them. It's even better when you can apply DoTs, use barrier, and sit there and watch your DoTs slowly kill your target while you are invincible. It's not about burst.

There is a reason why the solo ranked leaderboards are topped by sorcs and sages. They are the best pvp class in the game right now.

Edited by teclado

Right now maras have great mobility (thank you Bioware) so they require more effort to keep at Bay. A good mara will murder a good sorc, if he gets no team back up these days. Btw your heals is the best of any dps class in the game.

Edited by MisterPepssi

You have bubble stun, MI immune force speed, you can root with creeping terror and overload, stun, force whirlwind, lolbubble and you have problem with kiting a sent (or any melee in particular)? I know we have transendence, but not every sent have root on MS for example (for example myself, would be nice, but i simply cant afford to waste point on it), only Concentration have cc immunity, watchman and carnage have their own way to shut them down (sadly not so hard). Sorry, but it rather sounds a l2p issue for me.

P.S.: yes, im aware bubblestun, overload root and emersion are all on masterful level before you point that out

Bubble stun is single use as Madness, dots break it instantly.

Creeping terror only works once every 9 seconds.

Our heals are only really good after palabubble.

I'm not going to bother with the rest as Resolve will have kicked in by the time you're in that much trouble you need to use your stun.

If you're being kited all day by a sorc/sage you're a very bad mara. Atm, once they get in their openers, a good mara v good sorc = game over for the sorc. The rock, paper, scissors game is weighted too heavily to their side.

Even if you create some space, with far more effort than it takes the other player to stay on you I might add, try unleash your Lightning alpha strike etc and they just hit a defensive cd and soak it up. A second later you've got two sabers back in your face again.

Edited by Koppster

I'm not going to bother with the rest as Resolve will have kicked in by the time you're in that much trouble you need to use your stun.

If you're being kited all day by a sorc/sage you're a very bad mara. Atm, once they get in their openers, a good mara v good sorc = game over for the sorc. The rock, paper, scissors game is weighted too heavily to their side.

Even if you create some space, with far more effort than it takes the other player to stay on you I might add, try unleash your Lightning alpha strike etc and they just hit a defensive cd and soak it up. A second later you've got two sabers back in your face again.

I dont consider myself an average sent/mara, i wasnt talking about my experience, I just said you have a wide array of utilities for kiting, you shouldnt be whining. Ofc you are not snipers (equal sniper vs mara=always sniper win), but you have great tools for kiting. I know, sent is only my main, I play all classes on high level, sorc too

despite what ppl say. sents are a very good class right now, and will always win vs a lightning sorc since it does not have burst at all, maybe vs a madness one...

Edited by xX-Archangel-Xx

Electrocute during big burst window, 1 root ability after predation. Don't speed right away during ravage:

1. Mara ravage is not that strong anymore. Not even carnage gore ravage.

2. Sprinting right as warriors start rvg will rubber band you back.

And don't take bubble stun.

Edited by Azurestone

Tell me how the sages/sorcs are beating your mara then. It would be much more constructive than your post was otherwise.

Why would a mara teach sorcs how to beat a mara :rak_02:

If you dont know how to beat us, you have serious L2P problems. And I'm sorry, it's not our job to help you. Maybe ask the rest 99,9% of sorcs how they do it.

I personally take bubble stun, root knock back, root break with force speed, and drop the force leech mobility for madness. Apply slow on cool down. Save creeping terror for after your force sprint to maintain the gap and get your force leech off. Use your polarity shift wisely to help you get off a full rotation of dots. Keep resurgence applied on cd, that adds up over time with your other heals from dots/bubbles. Don't forget you have whirlwind. Use it, for some time to heal up/create distance.

A good smash mara right now can give you some trouble, their cc immunity window combined with undying rage makes it a guarantee you're going to eat their damage. But you do have the defensive utilities to survive it.