Need help with survivability...

tristarfighter

I am having an issue on my sorcerer that I can't quite figure out. Like the title suggests I feel I am dying too much or it is coming to close to that happening. Even my companion is dying half way through a fight or barely survives. I use Khem Val for my tank right now and it is surprising me how fast he is dying for being a tank companion. I have him geared as well as myself with what I get from quests as well as any extra loot drops or what i buy from the commendation vendors but even with all that I seem too squishy in a sense.:(

I understand the class is a "mage" style class and all so I won't have the defenses of say a jugg or the assassin but I feel I should have the power to easily take mobs down and yet even that seems lacking...I have the 12x exp boost and I'm on Belsavis atm and I am roughly 3-4 levels above the mobs and my dps doesn't seem to reflect that I feel they should be taking more damage and dying faster instead of having the chance of destroying my companion with ease then almost kill me...idk maybe SWTOR has a different system when it comes to mobs and questing and how it compares between your level and the mobs then what I am use to in other MMOs.

Edited by tristarfighter

You shouldn't be having that much trouble if you're 3-4 levels above the MOBs.

Are some strong and elites getting into the fight? Sometimes having 2-3 of those can make you go down pretty quick (depending on skill level).

And you mentioned using gear from quest and drops. You are using comm gear? It should be replaced every 5-10 levels. And make sure you're statting right.

At times there are a silver mob involved and that causes the issue but I am able to usually stun him and get him down quickly but even when its just like say 3 of the regular mobs we can have issues at times. And yeah I use comm gear mixed with quest gear plus any drops from flashpoints so I am always trying to keep my gear up to date so not really sure why I am struggling. As far as stats I'm taking Willpower, Endurance, Crit and Power is what I'm mainly focusing on, with sacrificing Endurance if another gear has better Willpower so I feel my stats are fine but I could be wrong.

Strange I never have this problem with Khem, I hardly even use the god bubble on him nowerday's how is he geared (I doubt it makes much difference but I gear him as I would a Jugg tank i.e. Defence>Absorb>Shield.

But other than that use your force bubble on him and yourself if needed and for yourself there are some damage reduction utilities that you can take in your discapline tree.

At times there are a silver mob involved and that causes the issue but I am able to usually stun him and get him down quickly but even when its just like say 3 of the regular mobs we can have issues at times.

I dunno what other people have found, but in my experience, it works better to take out the weaker enemies first, then the bigger one. That way there are fewer sources of damage at any time.

Also, what's your spec? Different specs have different amounts of survivability, you may consider changing up your spec and seeing if the new one suits your playstyle better.

Strange I never have this problem with Khem, I hardly even use the god bubble on him nowerday's how is he geared (I doubt it makes much difference but I gear him as I would a Jugg tank i.e. Defence>Absorb>Shield.

Yeah that's how I have my Khem done up so it really has me wondering why he dies so easily right now. I try and keep up the bubble as much as possible on myself and Khem but at times the bubble doesn't last long when the attacks seem to eat right through the bubble on either me or Khem.

I am lightning spec on my sorc and for the disciplines I have been taking the ones where the damage I take is reduced but I could have taken the wrong ones not sure still fairly new to the game and all.

There are lots of different ways to play, but I use Khem as a tank. He's a strength main stat gear, and as the poster above stated, tank spec secondary stats.

If you want to go this route, double check Khem is actually in Tank stance, first of all, and make sure he is the one starting the fights. That way, he has the aggro and pulls all the melee to him. They are then nicely bulked up to AOE them down with your lightning storm. When I'm not overleveled or overgeared, I try to prioritize Khem's gear over mine, as he's the one taking the damage. Bubble him before the fight starts, throw in off-heals when necessary, and force lift any ranged or outside silvers or golds (being sure you don't nick them out of their cc with your AOE.)

Hope this helps, good luck.

There are lots of different ways to play, but I use Khem as a tank. He's a strength main stat gear, and as the poster above stated, tank spec secondary stats.

If you want to go this route, double check Khem is actually in Tank stance, first of all, and make sure he is the one starting the fights. That way, he has the aggro and pulls all the melee to him. They are then nicely bulked up to AOE them down with your lightning storm. When I'm not overleveled or overgeared, I try to prioritize Khem's gear over mine, as he's the one taking the damage. Bubble him before the fight starts, throw in off-heals when necessary, and force lift any ranged or outside silvers or golds (being sure you don't nick them out of their cc with your AOE.)

Hope this helps, good luck.

Yeah I am actually starting to do this myself now and slowly this is making everything easier. I am seeing where Khem might need a slight gear upgrade but everything is for tanking and he is in tank spec. Thank you everyone for the different tips and information it has been helpful to show me what I needed to fix and alter when fighting the different enemies.

This seems very strange. The only time this is even a risk for me is if I'm taking on elites, such as when solo-ing a 2 man heroic.

When you use Khem to tank, bubble him and throw heals on him. Use the HoT to keep him ticking up while you are fighting.

Also, if mobs lower level than you are hurting you, you are geared wrong for sure. When I fight a cluster of mobs my own level I usually don't take any damage. None.

Use AOEs on groups and they should melt away like butter. What stats are you giving Khem? If he's getting hammered, consider adding defence as well as Endurance and strength. It shouldn't happen though. Also, as you level up and he acquires new abilities, are you activating them?

If you're equipping low-level drop items that would be the problem imo. I can't believe that if you and Khem are wearing adaptive gear with up-to-date mods that you'd have this problem.

Final thought - are you equipping Khem with an earpiece and implants? You can add a ton of Endurance even by giving him your used ones when you upgrade.

Edited by WilliamTBell

Neither me or Khem have adaptable gear I am using gear from quests, flashpoints when I run them, and then gear I can get with the commendations for us to try and stay current. As far as stats with Khem the gear he has is ones with defense and absorption everything needed for tanking and yes I am activating the newer skills once he has acquired them one thing I am always checking on.

Yes about the implants and ear pieces he has those as well to give him the extra edge. Regarding the mob issues that is slightly getting better I've altered my rotation and I am managing Khem better as far as heals and the shield bubble for him.

Edited by tristarfighter

If your having trouble, theres an easy way to go through the game, but it takes longer then the more advanced methods.

1) play a healing spec.

2) use any companion except for the healing one or the ship droid.

3) only focus on healing your companion, and stunning mobs. switch to damaging mobs when there is only 1 left.

4) if things look bad, run away from your companion, and dont stop running- leave your companion to die- and keep running until you exit combat. Then dismiss your companion and re-summon.

5) make sure you always have the best medpack available on a hot bar that you can easily click.

6) (its always good to upgrade your companion but its not required). I recommend always having the best weapon upgrade for your companion. Upgrade your companions weapon at least every 5-9 levels.

• 3 weeks later...

EDIT: Didn't reply to right person and spelling error

I leveled up my Lightning sorc using the 12x xp and I didn't have any trouble whatsoever. (never needed to cc anyone) I didn't ever use khem though. I got Talos and he healed me since my DPS output was so high.

If I was fighting a trash group, (e.g. 1-2 silvers and 2-4 trash) I would start with Force Storm, then Chain Lightning and the trashies were down. I would then focus fire the silvers with lightning strike until my CL procced again. Don't ever use Force Lightning unless you needed the slowdown effect. I also prioritize my Lightning Flash over my Shock.

If I was fightning an Elite, I would bubble first. Then Crushing Darkness, Affliction, Polarity Shift, Thundering Blast, Recklessness, Chain Lightning, Lightning Flash and then Lightning Strike-Lightning Bolt him until my CL procced or Thundering Blast came off cooldown.

I recommend healer companion because the tank can't really help you because he's got zero heals. I preferred Talos while leveling and now I use HK for his dps. I can usually get out of a fight at 1/2 health with HK and 90%-100% with Talos

Hope this helped you!

Edited by Cannon_Bowl

If I was fightning an Elite, I would bubble first. Then Crushing Darkness, Affliction, Polarity Shift, Thundering Blast, Recklessness, Chain Lightning, Lightning Flash and then Lightning Strike-Lightning Bolt him until my CL procced or Thundering Blast came off cooldown.

That's the near optimal opening rotation (at 60 also) with only one minor adjustment of being flash before CL. This is a very minor difference in the sense that you put LF on cd 1 gcd earlier. Of course I know many people prefer CL first in this case as it given an extra gcd in the proc for next CD, while with LF first the window is very small.

Also TB comes off cd before the lockout of CL proc, but often the case in order not to remain without a damaging ability (including myself) we get out of sync by 1 gcd having a LB proccing CL and delaying TB by 1 gcd the most (still keeping the CL proc for after TB though).

Edited by MusicRider

PS:

A system of priorities.

1. Affiction on target if target has no affiction and next ability coming is Turbulence(should not need to be manually refreshed after its first application)

2. Turbulence

3. Mind crush on proc

4. Gust

5. Wave with tidal proc

6. TK bolt

You absolutely need adaptive gear. You should be choosing the comm reward after every class quest and mod both you and your companion to the nines! I promise if you do this you will have no problem at all. I've lvled both a sorcerer and a sage this way and had no problems. My inquisitor was lighting spec as well.