Fix the GCD waste for sentinels/marauders

LegionAlpha

So if you play a sentinel or marauder (I play a sent so my references are all sent based), then you know about the GCD waste problem. What happens is you either mash your keyboard or spam click (whichever you are, I keybind) the GCD activates but your ability does not nor does it go on CD, but I have had cases where it does go on CD without actually doing damage. This bug has been out since probably 1.2.3. I know it was early 1.2 and was never properly addressed. I have done some talking with players that play this class and it seems that some players experience this GCD waste an some claim it was fixed for them. However it is not fixed for everyone. I and many others still have this problem an the most I can get out of it is that this happens mostly on Master Strike, blade storm and Merciless slash(watchmen tree last tier ability). Now the frequency varies per player is what I also gathered. 2 friends I talked to said it happens every 1/7 abilities/GCD's roughly. My e Provence is more like 1/5. Now this may seem like a low rate and I agree it is BUT when it is happening on your most powerful moves, that is cutting into the players total damage, dps, and overall effectiveness in a pvp math and mainly in pve is where this am issue. Let's do some quick math below bioware, I will help you cuz I don't trust your math, it's shown itself to fail multiple times.

One boss fight such as Foreman Crusher in KP where melee dps can pretty much just beat on him the whole fight with little movement. Let's say I use 100GCD's to make math easy, realistically players use probably close to 200. But 100x.20 (1/5 is 20% =.20)=20. That is 20 GCD's I waste. Now let's do math for the amount of damage that could have been dealt. Since I am a fully geared campaign sentinel, my master strike deals roughly 6.5k, blade storm for 3.5k, and merciless slash for 4k all be generous on those numbers as it will be higher or lower by a small fraction. Now for an average damage that is 4666.6 repeating damage per GCD with averaging those three ability damages. 4666.6x20=93333.3 repeating. That is almost 100k damage per fight I am missing just on 100GCD uses and that's average because again these are the abilities that are going on GCD waste as I call it. Now realistically 200GCD's would double the damage I'm missing. So as you can see there is a huge problem here.

Did the math for you, explained the problem, said which abilities, all laid out for you bioware, obvious bug is obvious, fix it soon within the next few patches.

Having this issue on several classes, including Guardian, Sage, and, to a lesser extent, Commando. Skill seems to activate - the GCD fires off but nothing happens. Sometimes a couple of times in a row. Super. Frakking. Annoying.

At least it's better than it was at release. It was hell back then. Half of the time Blade Storm wouldn't even fire off in 1.0-1.1. Sundering Strike also started with a "twitch", as if the animation had started, but then it got aborted. Can't believe that this BS still isn't 100% fixed after 6 months.

Edited by Helig

Never noticed it on my marauder (only alt though), but I know that it happens on my agent on abilities that require an actual second of animation to play out, even though the ability is technically listed as "instant". Example is frag grenade, you pull your arm back to throw it, and then if the person moves around you it will cancel.

I don't want to sound like a ***** because I KNOW the feeling and what your asking for OP. However I want you to still consider yourself very luck to have a class that doesn't solely rely on one specific ability that could be affected by this issue. Guardians and Juggernauts were affected by this in PvP mostly but also on certain PvE encounters when you would go to smash and you would become knocked back yet your on a global cooldown and no damage given. Imagine playing Huttball and this happening to you multiple times over the course of 5 minutes. Thank goodness the vengeance tree which is the other dps tree is now viable, having to deal with this flaw unwillingly became a pita forcing you to play with more brains than it should have required.

• 5 months later...
I have this issue too, it may be related to macros thou, when I use them on my Sin my maul, assassinate ,shock &force slow can all "ghost" (use gcd but no ability comes out).. try using the moves without the macro and see if it still does it

I have this issue too, it may be related to macros thou, when I use them on my Sin my maul, assassinate ,shock &force slow can all "ghost" (use gcd but no ability comes out).. try using the moves without the macro and see if it still does it

:rak_confused:

There are no macros in this game.

I too have this issue on all my characters. I believe it has to do with the game not being able to cope well with rapid keyboard input, as I mostly have this when clicking my mouse button that has a macro bound to it too fast, or when I'm pressing buttons significantly faster than the global cooldown.

what woudl be helpful are combat logs. i get this problem all the time. for my merc i always will press the button for my unload after tracer missle just in case i got the proc (i kind of drum my fingers from unload to tracer missile) and sometimes the game will take a gcd from me when i pree the unload button even though i didnt get the proc and not activate tracer missile.

This "bug" is seen on all classes. The issue is caused by conection lag. The animations may not play ~ but the ability effect are still applied. You can "stack" abilities during one of these lag periods, and they will all apply simultaneously, but only the last ability animation will be displayed.

This "bug" is seen on all classes. The issue is caused by conection lag. The animations may not play ~ but the ability effect are still applied. You can "stack" abilities during one of these lag periods, and they will all apply simultaneously, but only the last ability animation will be displayed.

The problem is that the animation does play, but the ability doesn't apply its affects