Why do many MMO players not appreciate the story?

chakkar

• Replies 938
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's take World of Warcraft for example. How many people actually leveled in Desolace? Not much because it SUCKED to level there.
That's funny because I've recently been thinking about how most TOR zones feel like I'm in Desolace or Mulgore; none of them have the allure of the undead zones or the dwarf zones, let alone a zone like Ashenvale.

STV was more efficient and no matter how many characters they make they're going there. So what is the problem with going back to the same planet?
STV alone puts TOR to shame. Heavily overlapping faction content plus loads of neutral content = tons of world PvP.

Slightly off-topic, but I've recently been leveling some gathering skills by going through Republic content when available; at the very least it should generate a healthy level of threat in boxed PvP, before cross-server boxed PvP queues are implemented that is.

Anyway, the "story" is weak, and doesn't seem to come across at all outside of the cutscenes. I can't find any "story" as I'm aimlessly wandering maps, uncovering FoW and collecting datacrons while grinding my gathering skills (for FP activation nodes).

That said, some planets aren't totally without merit when approached this way.

Edited by Ansultares

STV alone puts TOR to shame. Heavily overlapping faction content plus loads of neutral content = tons of world PvP.

Slightly off-topic, but I've recently been leveling some gathering skills by going through Republic content when available; at the very least it should generate a healthy level of threat in boxed PvP, before cross-server boxed PvP queues are implemented that is.

Anyway, the "story" is weak, and doesn't seem to come across at all outside of the cutscenes. I can't find any "story" as I'm aimlessly wandering maps, uncovering FoW and collecting datacrons while grinding my gathering skills (for FP activation nodes).

That said, some planets aren't totally without merit when approached this way.

I guess you guys never stumbled upon the opposing faction base and go "Oops. Not my flight path."

A lot of people come from other MMOs that are light on the story. So they are used to ignoring it. Unfortunately with SWTOR, the story is the main focus, when you ignore it TOR's other shortcoming become even more visible.

It doesn't mean anyone is dumb, just that this isn't their type of game.

Translation:

A lot of players come from MMOs where you have to READ the story.

People who like this "story" over other MMOS and make a big deal out of it are part of the "TLDR" generation.

And most of you only like it because Bioware pumped it into your heads so much.

Now all you say when someone complains about something is:

"THIS GAME ISN'T SUPPOSED TO WORK PROPERLY! IT'S FOCUS WAS ON STORY! RARRARRRR!"

One thing I have learned is that this game is not for me.

But you'll have to deal with me until my sub is up in a couple weeks because I spend more time here than in the game.

Edited by Tiaa

I think the side quest dialog is for immersion purposes to get us a bit more emotionally invested in the story as most of the side quests are related to the class quest chain. Otherwise we'd just be charlies angels talking to a box named bosley.

There is an easy way to achieve the same thing, which is to not disrupt the player by dropping him out of game world and into a cut scene. You can give the npc dialogue but it doesn't necessarily, and probably more preferably, have to be the complete dialogue.

Walking up to an NPC and interacting with him can just as easily show the npc in the game world beign animated and a quick intro to give a sense of what is going on and clicking accept the npc replies with, "please hurry... The men won't last much longer out there!"

The rest can be descriptive copy. 2-3 short paragraphs max. Players aren't opposed to reading and the ones that don't read aren't necessarily going to be forced to listen to full dialogue either.

It's such a huge waste for both developers and players the current way it's done.

P.S. Not much time was spent writing and entering all that dialog anyway...

P.P.S. And a dungeon finder...and a real auction house with real sorting...that combat log that can be read and parsed for performance...

And it shows. Within the first 5 minutes of the game, I could clearly tell they didn't have anyone to copy write and/or copy edit the quest dialogues. I've allude in my previous post that the dialogue is overly verbose with non important comments being repeated over and over by the NPC. It drains and consumes time for no purpose and adds nothing to constantly hear,

"hey, I'm glad you're heere. I have a problem. That's why I'm glad you're here to solve my problem. Otherwise I'd have noone to solve my problem. My mate also thinks I have a problem. You see, my problem is that I have a problem that i need help to solve."

or

"Thank you! I'm so glad you were here to help. You're a real hero of the republic. Thank you so much. You're a real hero to our community. Thank you so much, my son wants to thank you..."

on and on and on... It's just not tightly written or edited one bit. It's excess that cost them money to voice and animate and cost the player his time in cut scenes to listen to inefficient copy dialogue.I enjoy the story but since mid 20's I've simply just [space bar] pretty much my way through. Keep in mind, I am one of those who actually read quest text before I accept them in every mmorpg I play.

Also, yes! I've taken combat logs for granted over the last decade so much so that I didn't realise how useful it is until I didn't have any. When I try to explain to someone to be careful of a certain mob, I have to basically tell them in very general terms "He casts a strong spell. He also has another strong spell and 2 more. Does about the same damage but they have different effects. Sorry can't tell you any more than that."

Not being able to review post fight also is really, really a letdown. I can't at the moment, figure out for myself why certain DPS abilities look to me to be performing like tank abilities and vice versa. I just use an ability and just am glad it works but I know nothign else about what I'm doing.

Edited by ounkeo

The first play through I thought it was excellent, the main class story that is, the masked "kill 10 x" side quests with VO, not so much.

The real problems came the second time around when the novelty wore off.... While its amazing at first to have almost full VO, it has no longevity and the amount of overlap from one toon to another doesn't help matters..

Edited by muzzle_flash

A large percentage here on the forums hate on the game and state that they don't give a crasp about the great story Bioware has put into the game. These are probably the same type of people who would play Modern Warfare, but feel they're a more sophisticated gamer, so they play MMO's....then constantly complain about them.

IMO, story is what sets this game apart. Ive only played bounty hunter so far and love the story and look forward to playing every class.

I too am amazed that people scoff at story like as if it is a chore rather than something to be appreciated. They come up with derogatory terms like SW:TOR being nothing but kill X mobs with cutscenes, trivializing this effort to immerse you into the game.

Of course I do respect that different people are different, and if you think there is a lack of end-game content, that is a valid concern. As much as I like story, unfortunately Bioware cannot give me unlimited story. There must be a time sink in the form of flash points and operations, or people will get bored.

So I am not talking about players who do appreciate a good story, who just they want other things as well. I'm talking about the players who trash story. You know that SW:TOR will have story, why still play it if you think story is such a chore?

I enjoyed my class story just fine. The world stories did not have any real connection to each other and that was sort of sad, but lvling was a blast so I have no complaints. I was just hoping for the world stories to tell a more intricate, interwoven tale, but kuddos to the writers none the less.

So, when analyzing your argument, since I am done with my story for a month, there is nothing left to set the game apart?

Truthfully, for you there might not be. Your perception, so no one can really tell you one way or another.