Character voices

Kratahn

Was wondering if additional voices could be an option in character creation menu. Some of the voices I like some I do not, having the option to choice which voice my character has at creation time would be nice

Unlikely to ever happen. Voice acting is expensive and they probably have enough trouble as it is with the 16 PC voices not to mention all of the companions and NPCs. I mean, they'd have to have the entire vanilla game re-voiced with the new people not to mention RotHC, SoR, KotFE, KotET, plus all of the other additions like Kuat, CZ198, Oricon, etc.

Unlikely to ever happen. Voice acting is expensive and they probably have enough trouble as it is with the 16 PC voices not to mention all of the companions and NPCs. I mean, they'd have to have the entire vanilla game re-voiced with the new people not to mention RotHC, SoR, KotFE, KotET, plus all of the other additions like Kuat, CZ198, Oricon, etc.

For OP's suggestion, they'd only need to re-record the player character lines, so they wouldn't need to mess with the *entire* game, but they would need to do it for all segments of the game, and for three different languages.

And they'd need to add UI support for changing the voice, storage for the new versions of the lines, and code all through the game to correctly select the line in each dialogue, and they'd need to debug the 473 (1) weird corner cases where the dialogue line comes out using the wrong voice, or even in the wrong language or something silly like that.

Since the player's dialogue accounts for approximately half (probably more than half because of all the different things that sound like "Omi Topi" in Huttese, whereby there are far fewer sound sequences in Huttese than there are written lines) of all the dialogue, that's something in excess of 150K lines to record again (times the number of voices they add for each class and times three anyway for the three languages(2)). And of course the voice contributes to the development of the character. The Inquisitrix, for example, is deliciously evil in English, but radiates (through her voice) a flat menace in French.

Overall, I'd class this idea as interesting, but definitely in the group "possible but not feasible". It works in FFXIV:ARR because your character has less than a dozen different vocalisations in each voice set (grunts, screams, laughs, etc.), rather than 20K lines per class.

(1) That's probably not the right number. I'd guess that 743 is nearer to the mark.

(2) So to have four voices per class total for three languages, they'd need to get people in to do nine (three new voices per class times three languages) complete re-recordings of those 150+K lines and also all 192 sets of all lines (sixteen classes times four voices per class times three languages) in future content.

For OP's suggestion, they'd only need to re-record the player character lines, so they wouldn't need to mess with the *entire* game, but they would need to do it for all segments of the game, and for three different languages. <snip>

Yes, I meant the PC voice, not every single NPC. They'd have to redo every single line the PC says for the entire game in the new voice(s).

@SteveTheCynic

Awesome reply, appreciate it. I've messed with some automations like IBM Watson but they are still to slow to use for script reading. Was thinking EA probably has their own text to speech library that would automate the whole process. Anyway, thanks again for responses