Leveling a sage -- How?

Kyuubil

So I've just come back from leaving in.. ~1.1, so my knowledge is outdated, to say the least -- however after bouncing between all my many alts, i've settled on leveling my sage again -- 38 atm, middle of hoth.

Problem is, dunno if it was nerfs or i'm just bad -- but i'm getting faceslammed. my gear is mostly blues/oranges filled with blues/purples, running what was the normal spec in my day -- but I can see it's probably not as good anymore -- Balance up to Presence of mind, TK up to tk wave/psychic projection.

Problem is.. i'm dying too easy, multiple normal mobs are no problem, TK throw/project/force quake rips through them, but I run into even one silver with another mob? qyzen is almost-if-not dead, and i'm halfway there.. and the fight takes forever.

Rotation is simple Weaken mind -> project -> Tk throw until procs -> Mind crush -> Repeat

So, TLDR; Anyone suggest some tips, or a build for a returner to level with in this strange new world?

1) check & make sure Q is in tank stance - shouldn't be having a problem with on level silver/weak combos at all.

2) lead off with bubble on Q > send Q in against second strongest mob

3) lift strongest mob

Q's main stat is aim - check his gear out, and see how out of level it is. Nothing has really changed that much, except there is a self heal at level 18 that cost 0 force ~ so go pick that up from your class trainer. Bikini sage is still a popular DPS build. Hoth is really where you start to see some mobs that need to be interrupted or stunned if your solo leveling sage on level.

For levelling I would use full Balance, you get more DPS in the lower rungs, better CCs and self-heals. Make sure to get both Pinning Resolve and Containment to make life easier (you can get rid off them later). If you are using Qyzen, might as well go heals. As a DPS I suggest either Tharan or Zenith/Nadia (Nadia is better) also make sure to turn off their AoEs so they don't break Force Lifted enemies.

Do not forget kill order from weakest to strongest, means that you quickly lower incoming damage as standards die in 1 or 2 hits.

Edited by Darth_Dreselus

It's been a while since I leveled my Sage, but I remember removing Qyzen from doing any AoE's and lifting the hardest mob. Keep him geared as well. Nowadays while I'm doing dailies I send in nadia to the hardest mob and forcequake everyone to death.

1) Spec full telekinetic for leveling.

2) Spec into tidal wave

3) start fights with Telekinetic Wave

if level 34 or above

4) forcequake (keybind it so you can place it immediately on group)

5) fire off another Telekinetic wave when "tidal wave" proc, if not finish mobs off with rock throw or something.

Its very force friendly and if you have decent gear, you can solo Heroic 2x pretty easily with CC and heal on Q... because you have the best force regen.

Most time I finish fights with 80%hp, 80% force... if i put bubble on myself, i'm at 95% hp and 70% force (bubble stun enemy too remember in telekinetic tree)

Balance is very 1v1 dmg... it takes longer and less efficient.

It isn't your spec. Honestly, the old hybrid build is still really good for leveling. You get both TK Wave and Force in Balance for groups. Makes it really fast. Open with TK Wave, then Death Field, then Force Quake to clean up anything that is left. Full balance is better for single target DPS, but you should still have plenty of DPS to kill anything while leveling. Make sure to use Presence of Mind procs on Mind Crush. If you are having problems on groups with strong and elite enemies, use force lift on stronger enemies and take them one-on-one when the trash is cleaned out.

Re-examine Qyzen's gear. Bubble him up. Send him in before you pull if necessary.

If you are taking a lot of damage from a silver or above mob, you are probably not interrupting it. Interrupt anything that is cast. You have a hard interrupt, a knockback, and a stun, which should be enough to basically shutdown most mobs. And if you bring Tharan along, he will channel Holiday to CC. Even if you leave this on automatic, it is pretty useful.

• 2 weeks later...
So I've just come back from leaving in.. ~1.1, so my knowledge is outdated, to say the least -- however after bouncing between all my many alts, i've settled on leveling my sage again -- 38 atm, middle of hoth.

38, middle of Hoth? Maybe that's the problem? I'm 34 and not even started Balmorra (storyline min lvl requirement for the planet is 32)..

Side note: I started using Tharan instead of Qyzen, put him in DPS stance, so we chop through all mobs and he off-heals me, vey fast and fun, no hp problems

38, middle of Hoth? Maybe that's the problem? I'm 34 and not even started Balmorra (storyline min lvl requirement for the planet is 32)..

Side note: I started using Tharan instead of Qyzen, put him in DPS stance, so we chop through all mobs and he off-heals me, vey fast and fun, no hp problems

It's not the problem, since Hoth is at that level. Back in 1.1, you couldn't level as quickly as you can now.