The Sith Imperial Seal

Yautja

So something has bothered me about TOR's Imperial Seal. Very cool, pretty much a throw back to Palpatine's Empire's seal......which is a modified version of what was originally the Republic's seal, at least by the movies cannon. Something doesn't add up for me. If TOR is cannon to the SW universe, why would the republic, mind you extremely far in the future, adopt any symbol that even remotely looks like their arch enemy's old symbol? That would be like in hundreds of years the USA randomly decides to change their emblem from an eagle to the swastika. Has any one else noticed this?

The real world comparison you mention is similar to the Republic symbol. The Benduu (I believe the spelling is wrong) is a symbol of peace for a group of monks. The Sith who have adopted the symbol would probably align their Empire's prosperity during peace and preparation as a result of this, and the war they are fighting is to rid the world of the Republic who disrupts their peace.

During Palpatine's era, he probably threw it up there to gather the masses behind a symbol of peace against the "rebelling" Separatists who are trying to attack them (notice the Separatists were planning to attack Coruscant in Ep II. What historic event from TOR's timeframe would that remind the citizens of and spark a panic?). With the Sacking of Coruscant in mind, Palpatine could easily rally the people behind him as he proclaims he is defending the Republic.

So something has bothered me about TOR's Imperial Seal. Very cool, pretty much a throw back to Palpatine's Empire's seal......which is a modified version of what was originally the Republic's seal, at least by the movies cannon. Something doesn't add up for me. If TOR is cannon to the SW universe, why would the republic, mind you extremely far in the future, adopt any symbol that even remotely looks like their arch enemy's old symbol? That would be like in hundreds of years the USA randomly decides to change their emblem from an eagle to the swastika. Has any one else noticed this?

The only explanation I can come up with is that this symbol was widely used in the galaxy in different forms. The Republic probably used it even before the Empire.

So it's not the Swastika, it's the Eagle. The US have no problem with using an Eagle as their symbol even if Nazi Germany also used the eagle. (Today's Germany uses the eagle too, together with lots of other countries.)

The Republic symbol used in TOR is more like the Star, if you want to compare it to the United States.

The only explanation I can come up with is that this symbol was widely used in the galaxy in different forms. The Republic probably used it even before the Empire.

So it's not the Swastika, it's the Eagle. The US have no problem with using an Eagle as their symbol even if Nazi Germany also used the eagle. (Today's Germany uses the eagle too, together with lots of other countries.)

The Republic symbol used in TOR is more like the Star, if you want to compare it to the United States.

that would make sense.

i believe america was using the eagle before the natzi's, they probably wouldn't have copied then, but if you go really far back the romans used the eagle, as there symbol. so the eagle has been used by different civilizations with different political and ethical views. so there is no reason the symbol used by the TOR sith couldn't be used in the same way

All good stuff, I appreciate the input. I do remember now that the Nazi's appreciated the imperial eagle. Different connotation but the same bird yes. And to add, most of Nazi Germany's aesthetic was borrowed or inspired by the Roman empire because they saw themselves as the third empire. Even "heil Hitler" was borrowed from "hale Cesar". Long story short, I can see where symbolism and connotation can get muddled in history and lead to repeats, borrowing, and other mass hysteria.

The earliest evolution of the Bendu can actually be found on the Tho Yor that originally gathered Force sensitives to Tython (among which the Sith species were a part). It has a much older history than we realize. Taking it, is more akin to taking the symbol of the Force and using it as your emblem. When you consider where it shows up and the origins of galactic life, makes a lot of sense. Traditionally, it's always been a symbol of the Force unifying the galaxy. Edited by AlyxDinas

Another point to keep in mind that the (former) head writer, Daniel Erickson, mentioned is that the Empire and Republic eventually 'merge' at the end of the war - part of the merge means incorporating Imperial worlds into the Republic and the migration of Imperials into the Republic (which is how Erickson explains why the Coruscanti/Core accent of the movies sounds like the old Imperial accent from the Great War). It is possible this merge also includes the introduction of the new Republic Bendu symbol from the Clone Wars.