Need help Deciding Who to Play

Hasisiyun

So I am planning on starting a new run and I need to decide between a Mercenary and Power Tech.

I really don't know anything about either so any help would be appreciated.

I am more of a fan of DPS Tank if that is helpful and I am pretty much a casual player.

So I am planning on starting a new run and I need to decide between a Mercenary and Power Tech.

I am more of a fan of DPS Tank if that is helpful and I am pretty much a casual player.

Technically, Powertech is a tank class so you can play a tanky dps (with taunt, guard, enemy pull, and other tank abilities).

However, in current meta Mercenary may give you a better tanking dps feel with their DCDs and off-heals.

But if you want the option to be a proper tank, you will want to play Powertech anyway, since it's the one with a tank spec, while merc can be heal or dps.

Other than this, the biggest difference is Powertech is a melee class (as all tanky classes are) and Mercenary is ranged.

The safest answer is "try both and see which one you like better". You only need 10 to 20 levels to get the "general feel" of a class, which is a small time to invest in considering how long you'll playing the character down the road.

Edited by ElleSheepy

There is no reason not to try both. Create two characters, one as powertech and one as mercenary.

ATM you can't change your advanced class, nor your gender or your faction ( republic or empire) but you can change spec within your advanced class, so Mercenary can be either Heals or DPS and powertech can be either Tank or DPS.

As they come from the same root class ( Bounty Hunter) there will be some crossover in skills and utilities, and the story will be the same.

Level both for a bit. Rest one for the rest-XP boost while you level the other. See how it goes. You can play one Dark sided and one light sifded, one male, one female and maybe even choose different races too. There is no penalty for deleting a character you're not enjoying, but no reason ( other than space) to delete a character- they can pick up the story months or even years later. - A lot of people make lots of characters and progress ones they like faster- that's only natural. Your alternatives ( alts) become like other family members. - And you can always use one to help the other along, by sending credits or equipment in the mail or by depositing it in legacy storage for later pickup. You can even send moddable gear across if it is "bound to legacy" Although the level requirements still apply.

- GL.

TLDR; Give both a try. See how you feel.

Edited by Storm-Cutter

I agree with Storm-Cutter,

There is no reason you shouldn't try both.

ElleSheepy has given you information, but eventually it comes down to YOU.

I created 3 for each, powertech and mercenary, a separate combat proficiency for each, to see how they worked out.

I got each to around level 25 and no matter what I did, I always liked the mercenary and hated playing powertech.

So my decision was made easy.

Create at least one of each and you might find a clear winner ;-)

I've played both. Right now the Merc IMHO is just in a better place. It's a better tank than the PT is right now for the simple fact of off heals and abilities that should of gone to the PT. But that's just my 2 cents.