Are we allowed to use a Multi-Button Mouse

Kurvah

A friend was talking about using a multi button mouse and another friend said that SWTOR players could only use a SWTOR branded multi button mouse or it would be breaking the rules. We all understand that MACROS are strictly forbidden, but this is the first I have heard about restrictions on our mouse or keyboards.

A friend was talking about using a multi button mouse and another friend said that SWTOR players could only use a SWTOR branded multi button mouse or it would be breaking the rules. We all understand that MACROS are strictly forbidden, but this is the first I have heard about restrictions on our mouse or keyboards.

Of course you can use a multi-button mouse of any brand. What you're not allowed to do is have the "gaming" buttons generate macros = chains of keystrokes. One button, one key.

Of course you can use a multi-button mouse of any brand. What you're not allowed to do is have the "gaming" buttons generate macros = chains of keystrokes. One button, one key.

Does "one button, on key" mean, that my 12-Button sidepanel mouse configuration with [1-9] SHIFT+[1-9] for additional abilities and 12 with CTRL+1 (let companion attack) is not allowed?

Or does this mean, that it is only not allowed to use timed button strokes?

Does "one button, on key" mean, that my 12-Button sidepanel mouse configuration with [1-9] SHIFT+[1-9] for additional abilities and 12 with CTRL+1 (let companion attack) is not allowed?

Or does this mean, that it is only not allowed to use timed button strokes?

It's not about "combinations with Shift/Ctrl", but about "chains of separate commands when you press a button", timed or not. Sorry if that wasn't clear. (That is, multi-action macros are not allowed, but single-action "chords" are allowed.)

... only use a SWTOR branded multi button mouse

I doin't think there's any such thing as an "SWTOR branded" mouse. I suspect that your friend was just yanking your chain. (There may be some company that makes a mouse with the SWTOR logo on it.)

SWTOR allows you to use programmable mouse buttons (and keyboard hotkeys) to perform a single function. The single function may in some cases involve multiple keys. For example, ctrl-shift-F uses 3 keys, but it only performs one function - the on-screen FPS display. However, you can't program a single button to do more than one function - for example, you wouldn't be allowed to program a single button to do a ctrl-shift-F followed by some other command(s).

There is some "grey area". For example, I have a keyboard key programmed to do a "/greeting" followed by sending "Thanks for the group" to group chat. While it's technically 2 functions on a single key, it has no affect upon gameplay.

I doin't think there's any such thing as an "SWTOR branded" mouse. I suspect that your friend was just yanking your chain. (There may be some company that makes a mouse with the SWTOR logo on it.)

There was, indeed, a Razer (I believe) mouse that was co-branded SWTOR and came with a code for a special colour crystal, but it hasn't been available for a long time.

One button, one key.
More precisely, one command, one action.

Example: The default command to have your companion attack is Ctrl+1. Two keys (or one "button" on the companion ability bar), but one "command", and one "action". Doesn't matter if you use the default command combination of two keys, click the slot on the companion action bar, or map the command to a different key combination or a single key, including a button on your mouse, whether it's an "MMO mouse", or otherwise, regardless of brand. As long as you enter a single command, and it triggers a single action, it doesn't matter how you do it.

The problem is when you give one "command", via your keyboard, or mouse (or joystick, gamepad, or whatever) and then multiple "actions" take place (your companion attacks, and your character uses a stim, and then performs one or more abilities) without any further input from you.

Edited by Adric_the_Red