Best tactical for Combat/Carnage?

The-Kaitou-Kid

So I've worked up enough Tech Fragments that I can pick up an item from the vendors, and I noticed that "The Prosecution" is in Kai Zykken's inventory this week for sale at half the tech fragment cost. Does this one outdo Andeddu's Malevolence for DPS?

I imagine AM is definitely better for sustained damage given that it would let Precision cover everything, but Force Clarity boosting an auto-crit Clashing Blast seems like it might be good for burst damage, especially combined with a set like Descent of the Fearless that would let you build up Force Clarity stacks quicker. Is that trade off worth it or would Andeddu's Malevolence be the better choice here?

• 2 weeks later...
I do both PVE and PVP and 100% prefer the prosecution because it does not screw up what carnage is all about - ferocity windows. For starters, fang god form only gives crit % (not crit multiplier) and contributes nothing to your Devastating Blast - which is your hardest hitting ability. Secondly, any ability, including ferocity berserk, defensives, etc, drop your stacks of fanged god form. The prosecution on the other hand, buffs your DB considerably and with 6 pc set bonus, you have your furious power up all the time. Because fanged god form drops all the time and forces DB back in the precision window and you cannot line up it with your ferocity or berserk windows well, it just is highly overestimated imo. I use The Prosecution in Ranked PVP and raid and do very well, esp when you want the burst to kill in a ferocity window. Edited by babygotmoreback

I do both PVE and PVP and 100% prefer the prosecution because it does not screw up what carnage is all about - ferocity windows. For starters, fang god form only gives crit % (not crit multiplier) and contributes nothing to your Devastating Blast - which is your hardest hitting ability. Secondly, any ability, including ferocity berserk, defensives, etc, drop your stacks of fanged god form. The prosecution on the other hand, buffs your DB considerably and with 6 pc set bonus, you have your furious power up all the time. Because fanged god form drops all the time and forces DB back in the precision window and you cannot line up it with your ferocity or berserk windows well, it just is highly overestimated imo. I use The Prosecution in Ranked PVP and raid and do very well, esp when you want the burst to kill in a ferocity window.

Rotationally, it lines up perfectly fine. Berserk Ferocity and BA -> Massacre spam -> normal Ferocity with BA -> Massacre spam - repeat.

The only problem it has is the stack removal on any skill. So, firstly, most of the time the crit chance boost will be only affecting Massacres and Ataru strikes - it doesn't really transfer into the Ferocity window as Ferocity itself removes the stacks - which isn't ideal. But at least the fact that you can stop using Assault and Dual Saber Throw completely and use Massacre instead is a pretty decent DPS increase. It would have been nice if you could consistently spend Hyper stacks on a Dev Blast or something, though.

And secondly, the fact that even interrupting (devs, hello???) removes the stacks... That's just plain dumb.

and forces DB back in the precision window and you cannot line up it with your ferocity or berserk windows well

Not sure what you mean by this. There are two Ferocity window types - with and without Berserk. That's 5 abilities total. You have Vicious Throw, Ravage, Gore and 2x Devastating Blast to put into these windows. So, you end up with something like this:

Normal Ferocity = Devastating Blast + Vicious Throw.

Berserked Ferocity = Devastating Blast + Ravage + Gore.

It has worked like this ever since the Ferocity got changed to stacks. FGF changed nothing in the rotation besides replacing all fillers with Massacres and making it extremely punishing to use literally anything (even Predation, omg) during Massacre spam...

Edited by Equeliber

Rotationally, it lines up perfectly fine. Berserk Ferocity and BA -> Massacre spam -> normal Ferocity with BA -> Massacre spam - repeat.

The only problem it has is the stack removal on any skill. So, firstly, most of the time the crit chance boost will be only affecting Massacres and Ataru strikes - it doesn't really transfer into the Ferocity window as Ferocity itself removes the stacks - which isn't ideal. But at least the fact that you can stop using Assault and Dual Saber Throw completely and use Massacre instead is a pretty decent DPS increase. It would have been nice if you could consistently spend Hyper stacks on a Dev Blast or something, though.

And secondly, the fact that even interrupting (devs, hello???) removes the stacks... That's just plain dumb.

Not sure what you mean by this. There are two Ferocity window types - with and without Berserk. That's 5 abilities total. You have Vicious Throw, Ravage, Gore and 2x Devastating Blast to put into these windows. So, you end up with something like this:

Normal Ferocity = Devastating Blast + Vicious Throw.

Berserked Ferocity = Devastating Blast + Ravage + Gore.

It has worked like this ever since the Ferocity got changed to stacks. FGF changed nothing in the rotation besides replacing all fillers with Massacres and making it extremely punishing to use literally anything (even Predation, omg) during Massacre spam...

Let me explain what I mean by pushing it back in the window. The reason is to clip or try to benefit from the crit bonus by trying to dispatch/gore then berserk or ferocity (or both if you are really quick). The issue is, it's difficult to do and really we should be able to benefit from the crit in our ferocity window. Trust me, people try to use this tactical this way. So now we are left to try to clip these abilities into the crit and ferocity window (if you want to use the tactical). It can be done, but again, a pain and inconsistent. With this being the case, you wouldn't use DB at the start of your window as you would def not benefit from it (now if it added crit multiplier, this could be tasty) as normal and you would almost never be able to benefit when using berserk to gain 3 stacks for your ferocity since it removes the crit buff too. It just doesn't make sense that it functions this way. Using it as you said basically gives in to the fact that we can't benefit from the crit in the window in any case which really is a waste (Devs please - be reasonable lol). Carnage isn't really rage starved so this really just makes it spammy but it does smooth out in-between phases and make dps easier (perhaps andeddu's might do this just as well - idk haven't really used it). I try to look at optimizing carnage as using DB as much as possible. For example, if you can start with DB as first stack of boosted alacrity from using berserk, it benefits from the additional armor pen stack, and massive cd reduction in this phase where it can be used again on the sixth both within a window. This allows more DB use in general not to mention in ferocity windows without holding it (waiting for ferocity). To do this playstyle, The Prosecution just makes the most sense, but takes more skill and is obv less spammy. Pulled out 8M in a wz the other day. Felt pretty good. I somehow can't imagine bursting someone down with massacre spam but it would be pretty funny even if boring lol. Used this build in raid and performed well too. Surprised the crap out of the tank pulling threat, but let's be real, raiding isn't really competitive or difficult at this point and I'd be willing to bet that other classes in the hands of a skilled player will still outperform it.

In the end, I think we can all agree....carnage needs dev attention and a buff! I won't even get started on PVP TTK and survivability.