Remove Security Key?

pischto

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either way they'd need to call.

Upon calling Bioware ( from personal experience and reading Stephen Reid's twitter) you get; a busy signal, an automated message that will disconnect you after it's done, number options for different categories (none of which are what you need/account security) or put on hold, often for well over an hour, only to have no one pick up.

Especially if they're calling long distance, not exactly sound advice.

You could always try to contact customer service through this site but they'll likely just direct you to the telephone #, too.

Edited by IIII-IIII-IIII

I too would like an answer to this question.

I think the security key is a fantastic idea, but I've also used RSA tokens in the past and had problems with them.

What happens if you lose the key, or if it gets out of sync, or the battery dies?

It would be nice to have an easy way to turn it off.

Given how buried Bioware customer service is at the moment handling launch details, I will probably hold off on activating mine for a while longer.

I too would like an answer to this question.

I think the security key is a fantastic idea, but I've also used RSA tokens in the past and had problems with them.

What happens if you lose the key, or if it gets out of sync, or the battery dies?

It would be nice to have an easy way to turn it off.

Given how buried Bioware customer service is at the moment handling launch details, I will probably hold off on activating mine for a while longer.

It's already been answered, you have to call.

As for your concerns, you call if you lose it, it will never get out of sync and the batteries are guaranteed for about 9 years.

If there was an easy way to turn it off it'd kind of defeat the purpose.

Actually, I got burned with an RSA token in the past which is why I was asking.

I used it for work when traveling and it got out of sync twice in a six month period. Finally solved the problem by having it replaced.

If the answer is "call customer service", I won't be activating it any time soon.

Edited by Tyriann

The security key would be a waste if you didn't have to call them to disable it. If it could be done via your user account or any other means it's likely that whoever would be stealing your account would be able to defeat the security key as easily as they would the normal login.

I had Blizzard's security key on my phone when I played WoW, and I never had a single issue with it, even when traveling out of the country. Obviously that doesn't mean this one will be as reliable, but hopefully it will be. The only problem I had was that at one point my phone got destroyed, so I had to call Blizzard to get the key taken care of while I waited on my replacement phone, and that was like pulling teeth, but only took me a half hour, and other than that it was great.

I thought about downloading the app for my phone for SWTOR's key but I decided that, in light of the experience I had above, I'd try the physical security key, so I ordered it and am waiting for it to come in. I'll probably tether the thing to my desk or something when it gets here.

Edited by RabidBabyPanda

The security key would be a waste if you didn't have to call them to disable it. If it could be done via your user account or any other means it's likely that whoever would be stealing your account would be able to defeat the security key as easily as they would the normal login.

I had Blizzard's security key on my phone when I played WoW, and I never had a single issue with it, even when traveling out of the country. Obviously that doesn't mean this one will be as reliable, but hopefully it will be. The only problem I had was that at one point my phone got destroyed, so I had to call Blizzard to get the key taken care of while I waited on my replacement phone, and that was like pulling teeth, but only took me a half hour, and other than that it was great.

I thought about downloading the app for my phone for SWTOR's key but I decided that, in light of the experience I had above, I'd try the physical security key, so I ordered it and am waiting for it to come in. I'll probably tether the thing to my desk or something when it gets here.

They are means to remove it securely without hassling the user.

Generate two-keys over a period of time, for instance. Works really well.

[ edit / add ]

It also is helpful to require a customer service call whenever you replace your phone [or have to factory reset your phone].

Edited by Reiella

Well, my concern would be that I'm going to be upgrading iPhones this weekend. Now, in theory, I can do a full backup--including an "app" backup--and that'll make the new phone have all the data of my old phone. However, what I'm wondering is if the security key app will still work or if that'll mess it up, even if the data were all restored.

Well, my concern would be that I'm going to be upgrading iPhones this weekend. Now, in theory, I can do a full backup--including an "app" backup--and that'll make the new phone have all the data of my old phone. However, what I'm wondering is if the security key app will still work or if that'll mess it up, even if the data were all restored.

I don't have good experience with that, but from what I've read on other droid platforms with similar apps, it tends to not work. Your better off waiting for getting the new phone and then doing it. Or waiting until it's easier to remove an authenticator to replace.

[ edit ]

I see some folks have had success with certain backups, and others not. Your call obviously, my suggestion is wait though.

Edited by Reiella

im already hosed, i activated it on my iphone which has a max life of 3 years and mine is already 2 years old.. so in 1year it will die and ill not be able to log in... not having a way to remove it on the website is silly, it's impossible and i mean impossible to get anyone on the phone, so basically when my phone dies i wont be able to log in ever again...

what if i already downloaded the app for my iphone, but i bought an iphone 4s and want to have it in this one instead?? because i have installed the app on the new device but its asking me for the serial code i dont have..... they sould at least tell us to wright down the serial number or something........

Added the Android Security Key to my account and it doesn't even work. No amount of different codes will allow me to login to the game, nor does doing a resync help. So i'm now locked out of the game and my account because the website times out.

Epic failure on Bioware/EA's behalf.

The key works fine (I had it on my iPhone), but it is a drag that you cannot remove it yourself, which one can do with Blizzard's key (you need to have the app working because it needs codes from the phone) and Google's key (which doesn't need your phone at all). It looked like I was going to have to replace my iPhone last night (power button not working right), so I spent 45 minutes on hold with BioWare yesterday to get the key removed. Ironically, in the end I didn't end up replacing my phone (they were able to get the power button working well enough that I think it'll hold out until iPhone 5 time).

I still haven't put the security key back on yet. With the support call wait time, it's not worth it in case I have to go through this again soon. Once the support calls die down, or they allow us to remove it ourselves, then I'll put it back on.

-HM

What I want to do its use both my phone and my fob but this is not an option at the moment and since its really niche I don't expect it.

And If you are planning to update a phone defiantly wait. I had issues with my secret questions during pre-launch and spent 2 hours on hold, after waiting until 5 am just to get my call through. when they actually answered it was to tell me that the system was down on their end and I was sol.

On a side note, because I'm a glutton for punishment, I tried to add my security key back. Wouldn't work. I reinstalled the app, added the serial number, activation code, and 8 digit generated code...everything done exactly the way I did before I had BioWare remove it, except this time I get "Sorry, we couldn't find your code. Try again?"

Customer Service, in another thread, told me that I would have to call BioWare in order to get this rectified. I suspect that the serial number assigned to me is now void, so they'll have to do something on the back end to reinstate it or somehow give me a new one.

So what unfortunately is happening, due to the incredible inconvenience, is that this process is making me want to NOT use the security, which isn't a good thing. As long as we have our security key on hand (phone or physical), we should be able to remove and add the security at will, without calling customer service. I can do this with Blizzard's and Google's security key with no problem.

-HM

This is just terrible service. The security app they use is terrible, it cycles way too slowly, and the fact that you can't upgrade to a new phone without spending two hours on hold is insulting.

I'm thinking about canceling my account. It's not just over this, but the fact that they don't have a decent security key system and left me on hold for 2.5 hours is definitely a factor. I have authenticators from Google, Blizzard, Trion Worlds and RSA. This is the only one I've ever hated.

This is just terrible service. The security app they use is terrible, it cycles way too slowly, and the fact that you can't upgrade to a new phone without spending two hours on hold is insulting.

I'm thinking about canceling my account. It's not just over this, but the fact that they don't have a decent security key system and left me on hold for 2.5 hours is definitely a factor. I have authenticators from Google, Blizzard, Trion Worlds and RSA. This is the only one I've ever hated.

Just don't use the security key. With the security questions, plus keeping vigilant about not falling for phishing scams, you'll probably be fine. I'm not going to call them again just to re-apply the key. I'll consider doing it again once they make it possible for me to add and remove them at will...with no calls to them needed.

-HM

Hey,

The Account Page is so damn confusing so I'm just gonna ask: How can I disable the usage of the security key on login?

Deal with an additional 10 secords or less to log in or an utter pain of dealing with a hacked account; you decide.