[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

A bit disappointing. But, who honestly plays an MMO for the graphics? The game looks fine (I play at 1080p, on a 42" display). I'm happy enough with the graphics, to be able to enjoy the rest of the game immensely.

Not to say that I wouldn't like to see high-res textures. It would certainly add to the game. But for me, the 2D sprite foliage takes away a lot more immersion than the textures do.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone please tell me I'm reading all of this wrong? That these are lies? Please? Because I'm going to be really upset if I find out that this game could look better on my pricy PC and it doesn't, because BW decided to take out the high resolution setting.

Seriously showing gameplay footage on a setting that's unavailable? I understand playing gameplay videos on super PCs, even that's cool. But let us aspire to have that build, not show us something impossible - weak!

And to the people who are putting "Those who actually play this game and enjoy it are in game, not on these forums complaining", silence mortal. I love this game and play it daily; I also happen to have a job, fortunately for me like many other players, it allows me to check on forums while I'm at work. You know... keeping up with the Calrissian's, all that jazz. So my concern is valid, and I'll be sure my massive guild hears about this when I sign on tonight.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/3/32230/1833800-balmorra__9_.jpg

False advertising!

I want my money back.

so how is that false advertising .. I see NO statement anywhere saying that's what the game will look like when you play it .. show me where it states that and I will personally give you 100 times your money back... what's that? oh, you can't? ... so sorry , too bad.. so sad

To those who were wondering if it was actually true that high rez textures existed in beta, here's some footage which clearly shows high rez textures.

AND it was taken in march 2011, at PAX East.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar64ly0B-mU&feature=related

In fact, just google PAX East Swtor and you'll see hundreds of videos and screenshots where it's blatantly obvious (even recorded with camera phones) that the characters are in high rez.

Also, rolled.

Why do development UIs always, always, always look better than the live UI?

I'm simply going to advise that we take this to the social media avenue.

Continually rocking out thousands of posts here will do nothing, its fan service at best, BioWare has already made their stance clear on the issue, nothing we say here will do anything.

Link this post to your FaceBook, or use http://bit.ly/xojdow #BLUR on Twitter.

I would also highly suggest expressing your views on the User Rating section for Star Wars: The Old Republic on Metacritic.

Whip this issue around the web until Kotaku and Gamasutra and The Escapist and other gaming news outlets that aren't afraid to tell it like it is start covering it.

Simple facts are, BioWare doesn't have to listen to us, but they will listen to a massive wave of negative PR from places where our voices do mean something.

So, feel free to keep raging about it, if that suits you, but there are better ways to deal with BioWare on this issue, ways that they will listen to, because if they don't, EA and Lucas Arts will be standing in Ray Muyzka's office asking why they haven't.

I really enjoy this game, but damn, getting new armor in an MMO and it looking so bad is kind of a big problem.

I just assumed it was a bug this whole time as I'd heard in the last week of beta (i did 4 beta weekends and saw the high res stuff the earlier weeks)...

i just...

what is this, i don't even....

1024x1024 textures are serious business !

512x512 textures are GAMEBREAKING !

- signed, the MMORPG Global Technical Director

"I claimed that only people that are not having fun with the game post in these forums. I've posted in here and the other threads several times after saying this" Therefore, I am not having fun in this game :("

This is hilarious. The situation is very thoroughly spelled out by that dev, but people still whine like children having a tantrum.

MMORPGs have always had to deal with this 'don't know how many people will be on screen' limitation. It's inherent to the genre and isn't going away anytime soon. The problem is mathematical-- no amount of kicking and screaming and blubbering will change anything.

Seriously, I hope most of you are 12 or under, because this is just hilariously pathetic.

/facepalm

25 man raids in wow, spelleffect + Ultra detail everything on high 65 fps ..... yeah seems MMO cant handle it right?

DDO Ultra res pack, dx10-11 spelleffect 4-8 AA 1080p runs flawlessly , yeah mmo's cant handle high fidelity......

maybe 7 years ago it was unpossible, but now its possible , its very much possible

Let them vent. They can't accept that SWTOR is falling apart and it's not even been out for one month

Your doomsaying made me lol. Thanks for the giggles. ;)

Reposted from the previous thread.

Emperor Reid (and I use that tongue-in-cheek): I think if you guys released an optional download pack like Lotro does, that would make lots of people happy. Those than want low-res, or have to have low-res wont be forced to download extra content.

I dunno, maybe I misunderstood your reply and were getting a hi-res pack at some point. But it sounds like you guys dont want to release one because not everyone will be able to use it? That doesn't seem very fair to me. If thats the reasoning, you should remove the CE vendor from the game, since only those with losts of spending money/rich parents could afford the physical CE. :rolleyes: *shrugs and returns to her love-affair with TOR*

So now we have an answer, and it really p*sses me off to be frank.

I've been very supportive of this game and I love it, but to be honest I think this is really giving your customers the finger. As many say, you showed off the game with high resolution textures and then took them out without even telling anyone. How is that for looking out for your customer base?

Not to mention that I find it highly arrogant that you presume to decide what textures my machine can handle in such areas, or if I'm willing to make the trade off between quality vs. performance. I'd like to make that call myself, thank you very much.

To be frank, thanks to your decision the game looks dated, and no in a good way. There are, obviously more pressing options, but doing this without even informing us, then keeping the 'bugged choices in the graphics section' surely makes it seem like you're just covering and that you in reality flunked the high resolution textures somehow - and not telling us surely proves you don't give a cr*p about Us. Those that Pay you.

Implement the textures. It's what helped sell the game to us, it's our call to make if we want to sac performance.

This is the first time I'm actually disappointed with you, Bioware, and with the game.

/rant done

"I must whine about people whining, it is the way of the world. It musnt change."

LOL, got any other old standby's you can post instead of actually thinking for a moment? Maybe you can tell me about how you make female characters 'because I'd rather stare at a girl's butt than a man's' or something.

Not to feed the flames here... but I'm extremely disappointed by Bioware's decision on the matter, and I'm pretty confident that their decision to cater to the lowest common denominator and only that, will not work to their advantage.

This is the first time I have ever played an MMO where developers have decided to halve the texture quality not as an option but as a mandatory change across all clients. It's unforgivable, and the reasons behind it are ridiculous.

Until now, I've been tinkering a lot with the .ini as well as NvidiaInspector to try to force high res character textures.

Thinking it was an LOD bug, I forced the LOD bias to -3.00 and noticed something else happening instead. It seems we may not even be getting the best environment textures the game has to offer because the standard LOD refuses to render them.

I've attached screenshots below for comparison between what the game is rendering at standard "high" settings, and what the game renders with LOD bias forced below the standard threshold.

Standard LOD:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_No_LOD.jpg

Forced LOD:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/Cgramnaes/SWTOR_Forced_LOD.jpg

I should also mention that the change has made no impact on my FPS, and has if anything made the game run smoother for me.