Can deception assassins level? At all?

obilicious

Since I started playing, I've been maining a Sith Assassin, Deception spec. I'm at level 39 on Hoth, and I feel like I've hit the wall. I literally cannot finish the planet class quest; in the apparently 38-rated tomb, I always get knocked right over by the waves of sithaweenywhatever 'bots while Talos tries to open the door.

This is an issue that has been happening to me with increasing frequency as time has gone on; I hit a similar wall on Alderaan, wherein I ended up having to spend my time grinding up in space and just trying to make sure I was always a level up on all my quests, lest the elite boss at the end outlast me and end up chewing through about 10k of repair money while I spent the next three hours thinking that the only reason I didn't win was because of some defect in strategy, rather than a pve bias against squishy melee dps; generally I couldn't win a fight on Alderaan against a non-heroic quest boss unless I popped heroic moment about 10 seconds after an electrocute opener, had Khem out, and was 1-2 levels above it; I didn't do heroics because I both knew I couldn't solo them with Khem, and because there's maaaybe 5 people on Alderaan on my server if things are real active; if there were two silvers within aggro range of each other, I either found a way around or died killing one, then spotrezzing and hoping I could kill the other and leave before guy #1 respawned and pulled my lunch money out through my nose.

Generally, I ended up ragequitting back to the ship and pewpewing space missions until I could roflstomp everything because it was 1-2 levels below me (note that roflstomping on bosses was more like: khem val dies about two-thirds of the way through the bosses' life bar, and about this time the fight's lasted long enough for the 4 second stun to come back up, and let me put up enough damage that the boss won't last long enough to burn me down).

Anyway, ignoring the ragetastic thingy up there, the gist of it is, is there any way for me to do better in pve? I'll admit that my opposition to darkness is mostly philosophical, (why should an assassin focus on outlasting their opponent/supporting their allies) which is why I'm not a darkness assassin right now, and I'm willing to spec into something that isn't deception if it means I have a chance of actually succeeding, but I mean...this is an endemic problem: Zash knocked me over about four times before a combination of pure luck and spaceleveling let me beat her, the unnamed and generic looking Jedi in the Elysium put a me-shaped smear in the floor a couple of times...am I just so terribad that I can't succeed as a force user?

I mean, I heard somewhere that solo pve is biased against melee and I've got a slinger and a sniper on different servers that I'm doing just fine with; granted, they're lower-leveled, but are each doing very well, and comparatively better than the sith was at the same level. The slinger is at level 16 doing 14 quests on Coruscant, and the sniper skipped the Taris bonus series because he's far enough into level 21 to go visit a new planet; I actually learned how to dodge mobs without the help of stealth in the base at the end of the main class/planet storyline because I had hit the kill bonus 20 minutes prior and just didn't want to waste my time.

tl;dr: 39 Deception Assassin on Hoth stalled out, needs solo pve help, server too low population for heroic grinding, refuses to spec darkness, won't refuse to spec to not-darkness

There's nothing wrong with leveling as deception. I leveled as deception at launch all the way from 1 - 50 with no conflicts whatsoever. I didn't touch talos though, I used khemmy val val.

methinks the problem lies between the computer and the chair.

btw, if you're looking for a stealthy, ninja-like character (ya know, an "assassin" lewls) you've chosen the wrong class. Yes the name of the class is assassin, but every significant action takes place outside of stealth. I would be quick to liken it to a sort of melee wizard(like an enh shaman in wow) more than anything.

Also, there's nothing deceptive in deception. The names given to the class and it's abilities aren't appropriate it seems :rolleyes:

Edited by Xancath

I'll admit that thematically, I feel like I got sold a bill of goods; either way, I'm just about committed to seeing the story, at least, through to the end, (that particular character isn't in a guild, and I personally have no interest in pvp) and so I'm open for advice; assuming that you still want to talk to me, Xan, I'll mention that the storyline quest actually withholds the companion slot from me while it throws bots at me since Talos is opening a door (to even enter the instance Talos has to be the active companion, and there's not enough time between waves to click through the menus and pop a replacement before bots are shoving vibroblades up my man-skirt). I feel like I've specced too deeply into the deception tree to think that dark charge would do anything other than screw my damage output, and I guess at this point, assuming I'm just terribad, are there any general rules-of-thumb to be thrown out there? I generally stealth up, pop recklessness, open with a maul, thrash till shock, discharge, blackout for the regen, then repeat, add in assassinate when enemy health gets low, possibly add in the stun or the daze somewhere in there if I'm getting beat up badly (which, as that whole tear-filled text wall earlier illustrated, is happening more often than my ego will allow me to handle) and I'd just kind of like to know if there's something I can do better here.

There's nothing wrong with leveling as deception. I leveled as deception at launch all the way from 1 - 50 with no conflicts whatsoever. I didn't touch talos though, I used khemmy val val.

methinks the problem lies between the computer and the chair.

btw, if you're looking for a stealthy, ninja-like character (ya know, an "assassin" lewls) you've chosen the wrong class. Yes the name of the class is assassin, but every significant action takes place outside of stealth. I would be quick to liken it to a sort of melee wizard(like an enh shaman in wow) more than anything.

Also, there's nothing deceptive in deception. The names given to the class and it's abilities aren't appropriate it seems :rolleyes:

In the quest being cited, I don't believe using Khem Val is an option.

I remember this quest as well and I know it was razor thin survival for me. Maybe throw in a whirlwind CC if things get dicey. Or you can always respec madness for the extra cc you get from whirlwind and the improved aoe from death field. Your rotation seems fine. I cant remember if you can seethe between waves. If so then hammer that key as soon as you get the first wave down. And if things look like they are going bad then force cloak and try again....assuming that resets the encounter.

As far as the class goes...I respecced to tank at 50 and have had a blast. Our survival/mitigation is excellent.

I'm at 44 and went Madness, and I feel the same way on most bosses. Against non-bosses I still feel too squishy. I admit though, I have PvP'ed most of the way up so all my companions are wearing pretty bad gear and don't help much. Most of the time I end up swapping into Dark Charge and I tend to still need to kite the boss around a bit. It leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I'm specced Madness, which boosts Lightning Charge, but am forced to sit in Dark Charge for any encounters with Strong or tougher enemies in them.

having problems with elite mobs as well. deception seems to be kiting type of sin, coz it lacks survivability much. Khem isnt able to hold so needed agro and u need to shoot electrocute, low slash, use medpacks and never forget about recklessness buff, when u fight two strongs or elite one.

And btw as i see the second problem with elite mobs is energy waste. Even when u maul with buff, shock with buff, use blackout for extra energy/regen - u end up with no energy and elite at 20-30%. Usually green geared Khem Val is down at that moment and u face elite 1 on 1, relying only to ur trash/voltaic and shock, each of them costs 25 force (induction shock).

the third reason why deception is hard to beat elites (not to mention champs) is the fact that our vanish usually resets agro and renews elite's health to hundred percents (idk why it doesnt sometimes when u just need to drop the encounter). Seems like our combat hide isnt combat at all, related to pve, its not supposed to be hide\spike combo like its in pvp.

a couple of advices for OP just to stay in line with mobs.

1) allways mind trap strongs\elites if they are present in mob group. (do not forget to swith companion's aoe skills off. f.e. khem uses Consume Essence aoe and Cleave aoe, Pirate uses nade afaik)

2) try to not overagro khem val or use single taunt on mobs, attacking ur healer. depends on ur companion of choise.

3) use stims and medpacks. u can even use adrenals on elites, if u arent so lazy to craft\buy some. surge adrenal + recklessness gives miracle numbers.

4) try to use archeologist at last, he uses cc and his heals gives u huge advantage.

Edited by Akfourtys

I leveled in Deception all the way to level 45-46. As soon as I got him I used Andy. Then when I got Taltos when I used him. The soc bosses, all bosses really, I kited al around the field. Then when I got a shield I spec'd tank and everything was easy-mode after that. Edited by Tobythe

run with a dps companion and let him get agro before u start going all out. once the dps companion's health is low taunt off him and finish the fight with all the agro. Basically trading health bars. While ur companion has the agro just do ur regs white damage attack/voltaic slash to help dps.

As Deception the use of interrupts is absolutely essential when solo. Leveling from 1-50 is not a problem and when i say that I dont mean its a cakewalk, I mean it's very doable & enjoyable. Just like playing any class, it really takes a certain mindset to succeed. Dont worry about being squishy, worry about DPS and focus on your procs & the mob's cast & know which interrupts work on which strength level of mob. I don't kite, period. I'm not suggesting that you don't, but that being said I spent a lot of time staring at the floor until I beat the learning curve of the fight. Play your style, play to have fun & play to win. You'll be fine.

Keep your tank geared and its a blast

This right here. 85 percent of the time the reason why you are not able to kill an elite or multiple elites is not due to the spec, but due to you doing something you shouldn't.

You are not a tank, so don't jump into combat right away.

Mind trap one target, take your aoe damage off.

Use Khem Val, and gear him up to the nines! Keep him geared as well or better than you with the top mods and gear. I was with a sorceror who had khem val tanking heroics for him I used Ashara, and we walked through 4 man heroics with our companions geared.

I found for the big fights i'd slap on my shield generator and turn on Dark Charge if i needed it for a bit more survivability. Pop out your healer/dps companion (not the damn robot but i can't remember his name atm :)), set him to medwatch and your good to go, it's amazing how effective a deception assassin with a shield gen is with a healer companion.

Alternatively, with a tank pet let Khem take a pounding to about 50%, then taunt off him, when im 50% myself i'd pop my bio dual heal pack and detaunt, let khem get aggro again, when he's 50% retaunt and by that time the boss is usually toast.

I can't recommend using Ashara or the other DPS though, i have never personally had much success vs the big boys with this combo as deception. I have won some but it's always been a DPS/HP race and it's not a comfortable way to play for me.

For tougher bosses interrupts are so important and don't be afraid when you have aggro to snare/stun and kite a bit while khem munches on him.

You can't do that quest with Khem Val you have to use Talos.... he needs to open the door :rolleyes:

Some of the Inq class quests were a bit hit and miss for me too... most especially the later ones against Inq bosses. Having said that I did solo them - it wasn't always a faceroll more working out what worked against the combinations mobs.

I am Deception and just finished that quest at lvl 35.

What I did was I fought the 1st couple waves and had to pop a medpak.

Once the last single guy pops (which is probably where you are having problems)

I force cloaked got out of aggro range and waited until my skills and medpak came off cooldown. After that re-engage and kite kill last guy.

Leveled deception from 1 - 50 with very little issue a few encounters I switch to DC mode for bosses/champions but other than that D all the way. I also used ashara (trash mobs) or Talos (Gold elites/Bosses). I now run madness tho need the heals for extra survival and dps is quite nice. Edited by LordbishopX