All the healers that DPS in FP

aceavenger

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No.

On my healer, the only time I stop DPSing is if the tank takes a big spike of damage that requires something more than HoTs.

On my tank, I want the healer to DPS as much as possible as long as no one dies. If you are just standing around because everyone is at full health, you are wasting my time.

A healer doing dps is a sign of the FP being too easy or he is doing his job with heals well enough to know when he can DPS or the tank is geared enough not to be taking dangerous damage ... so the ultimate answer is

NO

No.

On my healer, the only time I stop DPSing is if the tank takes a big spike of damage that requires something more than HoTs.

On my tank, I want the healer to DPS as much as possible as long as no one dies. If you are just standing around because everyone is at full health, you are wasting my time.

This is a no, because the healer is too busy yelling "BUT MY DEEPS" to know when the damage spike has happen, then death happen. I would rather have the healer watching health bars and doing his job than DPSing and having an OH *&^% moment later.

I guess the point I'm getting at is baddie healers letting groups die because no one gets heals while they were doing DPS. complete 72 gear blowing 3 cooldowns on a mob and still dying while the healing does little to no DPS. Edited by aceavenger

This is a no, because the healer is too busy yelling "BUT MY DEEPS" to know when the damage spike has happen, then death happen. I would rather have the healer watching health bars and doing his job than DPSing and having an OH *&^% moment later.

Sounds like you have been running with DPS that are pretending to be healers then. A good healer will keep you alive while still throwing out a little bit of damage.

Sounds like you have been running with DPS that are pretending to be healers then. A good healer will keep you alive while still throwing out a little bit of damage.

Yeah, this. If the healer is competent and knows the fight, they'll toss out DPS when appropriate, while keeping everyone's health up at the same time.

I ran the foundry as a 44 merc healer last night; all four of us were absurdly overleveled (thanks group finder!). I was DPSing almost as often as I healed, because it was easier and faster to roll through the content that way. And nobody's health ever dipped below 80% or so.

Next I ran colicoid, and there, my DPSing was much less frequent. In harder fights, the healer should focus on priority #1 first (i.e. healing) and only toss in some DPS when the opportunity arises, as long as it is isn't detrimental to the overall group.

tl;dr - nothing wrong with a healer throwing out DPS as long as he knows what he's doing.

Stop!!!

No!

Operative, Sawbones and Seer here, and I will dps in a Flashpoint or Operation. Kick me if you don't like it, but it will be the stupidest move you ever made because I promise you unless you fall off something or completely ignore mechanics, there is no way in hell anyone is going to die a flashpoint or a SM Ops (don't worry I will not be in semi-current HM or NIM Ops expect with people I know). Even if you ignore mechanics, it is going to be extreme for someone to die.

Plus if I don't do a little dps, who is going weak and strong mobs, all dps is doing is going for the gold. :p

Yeah, this. If the healer is competent and knows the fight, they'll toss out DPS when appropriate, while keeping everyone's health up at the same time.

I ran the foundry as a 44 merc healer last night; all four of us were absurdly overleveled (thanks group finder!). I was DPSing almost as often as I healed, because it was easier and faster to roll through the content that way. And nobody's health ever dipped below 80% or so.

Next I ran colicoid, and there, my DPSing was much less frequent. In harder fights, the healer should focus on priority #1 first (i.e. healing) and only toss in some DPS when the opportunity arises, as long as it is isn't detrimental to the overall group.

tl;dr - nothing wrong with a healer throwing out DPS as long as he knows what he's doing.

This basically sums up a competent healer. I play a 55 merc healer, and I dps whenever healing isn't required. A competent healer pays attention to health bars, their resource bar, as well as mechanics of a fight to determine the right times to dps and right times to heal.

+1 to the quoted post :cool:

Stop!!!

If the only thing you do as a healer is heal, you're useless. There is nothing wrong at all with helping with a DOT or AOE here and there.

And as a foot note, maybe healers wouldn't need to heal non stop in some groups if the DPS didn't act stupidly. Conclusion: when running with a competent group there is room for a healer to toss some DPS.

Edited by demotivator

If the only thing you do as a healer is heal, you're useless. There is nothing wrong at all with helping with a DOT or AOE here and there.

Well, not quite useless, but yeah, a decent healer does more than heal and then just sit there and watch heath bars like a hawk to the exclusion of everything else.

We could give the OP the benefit of the doubt (not that his petulance indicates he's worthy of it) and assume he meant healers who spend too much time DPSing.

Stop!!!

so wait, if I am in Kuat Drive Yards with 3 healers and a tank, none of us should dps but that tank :rak_02:

lol 5/10, its a case by case basis but if the healer already has everyones health topped off nicely then he can throw in a few damaging moves here and there, nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Sangrar

If health is fine, great do some DPS, if I'm 100 hit points left and I see pebbles fly by my head, I'm pissed.
Healer may be pissed too, because dps and tank are killing golds while healer is in a never ending stun lock, that dps and tank are oblivious to until their health bars start falling fast. Use to love running Koan on my healers. :p Edited by mikebevo

I've played an Operative healer to 55 doing lots of flashpoints along the way and I've also played a Mercenary healer grouped with a friend (she played a DPS Assassin) to 55 doing lots of flashpoints along the way. I enjoyed playing both types of healers and heard "nice heals" from people many times on each character, and my rule was often that it was okay to throw out 1-3 attacks when everybody was high on health / in no immediate danger. Try not to use anything too big that would burn away energy that might be needed for heals if things turn bad real quick, of course. But get a little damage out there. Throw out some small heals and some more healing over time regularly to make sure there's always some sort of healing going on, and be prepared to toss out some more serious heals when necessary. But there's no point in not contributing anything at all in those moments where the team is in a fairly safe position and doesn't need any heals right away.

Obviously it can be a bit of a fine line to draw. A healer that doesn't recognize those safe moments / doesn't maintain their over time effects / doesn't try to keep a decent reserve energy pool on hand for emergency heals / etc. That's a healer that will react too late to an emergency and run out of energy while trying to make up for it. Those are the healers that the OP should be complaining about.

Stop!!!

1. Why?

2. Why should anyone care to play how you want them to play?

3. That reason you sated for #2, what if I don't share that as the reason for my subscription?

I'm not too threatened to say I play a sorc healer as my main and ALWAYS dps in flashpoints. If someone dies, that's what rez's are for.

This^^

I hope on trinity based FPs GF will be made properly and you will got only role you have role by most points spent in trees not just due AC.

I guess the point I'm getting at is baddie healers letting groups die because no one gets heals while they were doing DPS. complete 72 gear blowing 3 cooldowns on a mob and still dying while the healing does little to no DPS.

I can actually understand this, I'm getting close now to full BIS 78 (Hilt, One relic and an armoring off) and I dps in flashpoints a lot, sometimes I literally don't notice a tanks HP go down because I'm DPS'ing.

Now, I've never had a tank die on me in a FP that wasn't due to being knocked off an edge, or drawing 7 champs in Athiss and not keeping them all on him, but the danger of a tank dieing is there.

Edited by Selenial