T3 scout uselessness, and GSF in general...

Telos

why would you guys make the tier 3 scout the best looking ship in the game, and then proceed to screw it up by making it barely functional? dump the sensors. make the systems a secondary component, and then add a second secondary weapon. boom. tier 3 scout now worth it. call it a "Heavy Scout" or something, but right now, its just this side of useless.

and with the massive decline in gsf players, across all servers (mostly due to bombers not gettin nerfed hard enough), requisition points are super hella slow, so buff that ****.

why would you guys make the tier 3 scout the best looking ship in the game, and then proceed to screw it up by making it barely functional? dump the sensors. make the systems a secondary component, and then add a second secondary weapon. boom. tier 3 scout now worth it. call it a "Heavy Scout" or something, but right now, its just this side of useless.

and with the massive decline in gsf players, across all servers (mostly due to bombers not gettin nerfed hard enough), requisition points are super hella slow, so buff that ****.

GSF declines have nothing to do with bombers not getting nerfed, and everything to do with a lack of commitment from the developer, no new content, and poor tutorial resources in-game. They also aren't across all servers. Harbinger and Ebon Hawk in the NA servers see plenty of pops, there are active pilots on others as well. Some servers are drying up, but that seems to be across the board from what I have heard anecdotally (ie raid guilds leaving as well etc).

T3 scout has one main use, and that's popping Tensor Field at the start of a domination match. It is not a wholly incapable ship otherwise, unless you want to be an offensive powerhouse... in which case, fly something else. Whether it is the best looking ship is open to debate. It can offer healing, and the Laser Cannon isn't a bad primary weapon. Its secondaries (notably EMP missile and Ion Missile) do need attention. But it's not in any way the least useful ship.

Despon

Edited by caederon

the T3 is a raw utility.

EMP missials can clear out bomber fortresses, disable defense turrets, and plow the road for the rest of your team.

Tensor can get friendly units to where they need to be fast, and can also boost their evade for under sat fighting

Repair drone is always nice, and the t3 can get anywhere that needs repairs far faster than a bomber or a striker.

Not useless, just not insanely overpowered. It's a utility, and needs treated as thus.

The T3 scout is actually a pretty cool support ship in Deathmatch games where your team doesn't have a T2 Bomber. I sometimes use it to run pure support for Vexxial's Condor, and it seems to work really well. Sometimes it feels better than using a support T2 BLC/cluster Scout to be honest. But I think the T2 Bomber still wins the job as top support.

How I play it:

Tensor with turning upgrades and engine - Pop this near your gunship ally to allow him to track targets even better with his BLC and railgun (better turning = better centering on targets). Plus it will obviously help a lot if he needs to run.

Repair probes - This is helpful for the entire team. Beyond the obvious hull healing and rocket pod refilling, it serves a central spot to create some team unity when flying with mostly useless PUGs (i.e. they do less running in and dieing).

Reinforced armor and large shields - Your evasion already takes a huge hit by dropping DF, so you might as well tank up on HP. Afterall, you can hide behind a rock and drop a repair probe when needed. Disclaimer: you shouldn't be running in and trying to kill enemy gunships with this build.

Powerdive (turning upgrade) - 10 second missile break and mobility boost.

Regular Lasers with range capacitors - You're not going to burst damage kill anyone anyways, and the range capacitor typically increases your accuracy due to lower tracking penalty. It also has good synergy with the missile options.

Ion Missile - *** ion are you crazy? I'm using this purely for peels folks. It has a nice wide arc, 7700m range, and its firing circle is not buggy like thermites. You're not going to land one on anyone good, but the point is that it will peel Battlescouts off of your Gunship teammate.

Crew - In Your Sights. Again, this helps your Gunship get more kills and finish off pesky Battlescouts.

Edited by RickDagles

ok, so basically, everyone agrees. the T3 scout ship is useful if you're in a coordinated group that is constantly communicating, has a fall back position established, and is actively working together to accomplish the objectives. any other time, it's butt *********** useless.

Well, GSF is a team based game. Even in playing with pugs, type in chat, try to coordinate them. if they fail at that, that's your problem as much as it is theirs, as you are meant to work as a team. As in it's a team based game. As in teamwork is required to win unless you are an unglodly skilled pilot like mikaboshi, who still has to work in a team, and he does, because it's a team based game.

Moral of the story is, it's a team based game.

ok, so basically, everyone agrees. the T3 scout ship is useful if you're in a coordinated group that is constantly communicating, has a fall back position established, and is actively working together to accomplish the objectives. any other time, it's butt *********** useless.

Yes, but what would be the point of just making it into another Battlescout? We already have that ship, so they tried to make it different. I do think it might be pretty cool to give it rocket pods. It would be the only ship capable of refilling its own pods, and therefore it would be a bit unique.

Yes, but what would be the point of just making it into another Battlescout? We already have that ship, so they tried to make it different. I do think it might be pretty cool to give it rocket pods. It would be the only ship capable of refilling its own pods, and therefore it would be a bit unique.

I totally agree with the rocket pods thing, it would be really cool to have that on it. I'd probably play it quite a lot if it did.

The current best use of the T3 scout in the current meta is to hit tensor and crash. Thus, the original post is correct. It does not really have a place in the meta. The changes proposed are to make it a light weight Starguard/Rycer? Give up the best component it has and only thing that makes it unique? This is not a good idea.

What this ship suffers from is broken components. I am hopeful that the buffs the developers give to secondary weapons for the strike fighters will help to fix this ship. Why replace components before trying to fix them?

If I were to add a component, it would be shield to engine converter (engine power converter shield component). A buff to the range sensor component would help too (for all ships). This would give it advantages in detection and mobility for intercepts with a trade off of less fire power. The extra mobility would also allow it to support teammates better, possibly making combat command worthwhile.

What this ship suffers from is broken components. I am hopeful that the buffs the developers give to secondary weapons for the strike fighters will help to fix this ship. Why replace components before trying to fix them?

I don't think it should become a slight variation on the battlescout. Tankmark/Tankpoint is already much better at fighting than most people realise, and a support ship doesn't need to be super lethal.

What the T3 scout most suffers from is the difficulty of giving effective support in GSF. Part of that is just how bad the UI is, not giving needed information on team-mates. I think—and I'm under the impression many others agree—all the AoE buffs need to have their range increased, as well. If you could give Tensor Field to all team-mates within 10,000m it would already make staying in the T3 scout more attractive.

There are also specific components that do need improving. TF could probably stand to have a shorter CD. Combat Command may also need a buff of its own, though I'll point out being actually able to use it as a team buff would already be a huge buff. Interdiction Drive is pretty weak for its very long CD and high Engine Power cost.

Additionally, I think Siraka is on to something when he talks about making Sensors matter more. That said, I'm not sure if everyone realises it but Sensors aren't entirely useless right now: in serious gunship/counter-gunship play they can be quite useful. But they should probably matter more when GS are not in play, and arguably matter more often when they are.

Edited by MiaowZedong

I think Paloga is on to something when he talks about making Sensors matter more.

Increasing the range of buffs is a great idea. I like all the suggestions in your post.

I would add that sensors play a role currently in S2E type 1 scout. They allow you to sight for gunships in total death match and they allow you to plan tactics in domination. However, the sensor ranges are so short that you can really only go scouting with the S2E converter. I have to go on dedicated scouting missions to fully utilize them. I may or may not catch a bomber on the way in to the node. I estimate my damage goes down about 5-10% per match if I am doing a lot of scouting. It is a trade off for being at the correct node early and sometimes landing damage on incoming vulnerable ships at the correct node. While not useless, the sensor component needs a buff to equal the other minor components. Buffing dampening will lead to all kinds of crying about gunships. Communications are close to OK (possibly minor buff). Range is what should be buffed and it should be done in the minor component.

Edited by Ardaneb

The T3 scout can be hella fun to play if you want to be able to do a bit of everything. If you want a true challenge run a T3 scout with Tensor Field & Repair Drone but use it the whole match. If you can top the leader board for kills, damage, accuracy, repairs and no deaths then mission accomplished :)

The T3 scout can be hella fun to play if you want to be able to do a bit of everything. If you want a true challenge run a T3 scout with Tensor Field & Repair Drone but use it the whole match. If you can top the leader board for kills, damage, accuracy, repairs and no deaths then mission accomplished :)

Sensors are useless because:

Objectives are in too small of an area. Three sats, one guy to call inc on two of them. Deathmatch powerups are visible, sensor range or no, and people tend to pile up in those matches.

Sensors and communication ignore LoS. If a sensor beacon could see around a corner, it might be a little more useful. If sensor beacon (or another drone) seriously messed with the other team's sensors or increased nearby teammates' sensor dampening, it might be useful in a gunship game.

Edited by ALaggyGrunt

Pretty much impossible if there is even one competent T1 Gunship on the other side.

Pretty much impossible if there is even one competent T1 Gunship on the other side.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I use the T3 scout rather than ion-rail gunships because I dislike gunships, and use of the repair drone at nodes that are under constant fire really helps while i tensor about and disable turrets/clear minefeilds. That being said, you're entirely right.