A silly question about the Clarion

Ligurio

Hello there

So...I'm actually making a new character (xp x12, etc), decided to try the rep side and chose to try the Clarion.

And I had a silly idea : should I try Deflection armor + Charged plating ? I'm still a newb but 94% damage reduction looks nice. And repair probes would help with shield bleeding.

Well, seeing that this is a build mentioned in the Stasiepedia, I'd say give it a try. And I've already seen people flying with CP on the Clarion. But remember that there are a lot of armor ignoring weapons out there (burst lasers, pods, slugs, heavies, concussion missiles).

It's good for plowing through mines. Just about everything else which will get shot at you (mainly slug rail/BLC/pods/HLC) will laugh maniacally at your damage reduction, or ion will just drain your energy and snare you so the rest of them can kill you.

Builds are funny little things. Every build and component is viable in very niche ways, but meta is meta for a reason.

Most meta builds will utterly ignore your armor. Just straight up ROFL ROFL LOL at it. Some will even 1-2 hit strip you of your sheild THEN mock your armor by saying "hurr durr iz dmg reduct." That being said, however, charged plating and damage reduction would be excellent for under node support and healing with repair probes. You in a clarion with 1 bomber (drone or mine dont matter) would be able to clear out even the most entrenched mine-bomber formations under node, with you soaking up all the mine blasts NP.

I say give it a go. The worst that can happen is you die horribly, which happens to all of us all the time anyways. Any excuse is a good excuse to play with a different build and have fun with the game :p

:ph_cheers:

It's not a terrible build as long as you realize your limitations (already mentioned by others).

A lot of people underestimate the small engine boost you get from being hit with charged plating active. The Clarion's biggest weakness is probably running out of engines. That little 5 point boost + power dive can really be the difference between getting away to heal or dieing to a slug railgun. But yea, other than that and mine immunity, you're better off picking directional shields and either lightweight or reinforced armor.

Charged plating is arguably a bit better against Quad/Pod players also. The pods hurt more, but the Quads hurt much much less.

Edited by RickDagles

ok so disclaimers first. this is my build and works for my style of play.

Quads

thermite

repair probe

koiogran turn

shield projector

reinforced armor

regen. reactor

sensor dampener

with either damage cap or range cap

I can soak ludicris amounts of dmg, if i'm not out of energy. i usually fly with power to shields which helps. it's not a fast ship and really it's meant for support, so if your dead your not supporting. mind you my ship is also mastered. but remember to keep moving. use short bursts of your engine boosters to keep from running out of engine. I'm still trying to master that as i have a heavy thumb. like a lead foot. :p

Hamlinius

GM Legion of the Jedi

Begeren Colony

I don't recommend most of those things, and I definitely don't recommend sitting in F2 for very long. Remember that power to shields gives you extra regen and a very small amount of extra shielding, and if you have to anywhere, this is a very bad call. Strongly recommend against that play.

I think it's odd to recommend such a deviant build in general.

ok so disclaimers first. this is my build and works for my style of play.

Quads

thermite

repair probe

koiogran turn

shield projector

reinforced armor

regen. reactor

sensor dampener

with either damage cap or range cap

Definitely never regen reactor for shields. Always choose large reactor.

K-turn is a bad choice for Deathmatch as one of your main weaknesses (mobility) could be somewhat mitigated by choosing Power Dive. If you are using it to hump nodes on Domination then it's actually a good choice, but then you should be pairing it with Charged Plating and Deflection Armor so that a bomber doesn't ruin your day with ease.

Edited by RickDagles

Definitely never regen reactor for shields. Always choose large reactor.

K-turn is a bad choice for Deathmatch as one of your main weaknesses (mobility) could be somewhat mitigated by choosing Power Dive. If you are using it to hump nodes on Domination then it's actually a good choice, but then you should be pairing it with Charged Plating and Deflection Armor so that a bomber doesn't ruin your day with ease.

This.

Some people prefer Turbo over Large Reactor for valid reasons, but Regen is pretty much always the worst of the three.

K-turn is very much niche (Siraka gives an example of when it's useful), Power Dive is generally better.

The idea of helping your team-mates regain shields with Shield Projector is appealing (and at least it's not useless like Shield Regen on a repair drone) but the range is damningly short (like other support components) and you have absolutely no way of knowing when someone needs it, how effective it is or even if it worked at all (unless in voice). You're giving up considerable survivability for a really underwhelming support ability.

use short bursts of your engine boosters to keep from running out of engine.

This is very much terrible advice in general and should be called out. There is an initial cost for starting to boost you pay regardless of how long you boost, so boosting in short bursts is extremely inefficient. Always try to do your boosting as much as possible in one go.

Edited by MiaowZedong

This is very much terrible advice in general and should be called out. There is an initial cost for starting to boost you pay regardless of how long you boost, so boosting in short bursts is extremely inefficient. Always try to do your boosting as much as possible in one go.

In the open, yes. If you're near cover, just a little is enough to get behind cover so you aren't gunship fodder while you regenerate and look for new lines of attack.

In the open, yes. If you're near cover, just a little is enough to get behind cover so you aren't gunship fodder while you regenerate and look for new lines of attack.

That is a viable strategy for avoiding fire, but a terrible strategy for saving/regen-ing engine power.

Since the original quote was about using that tactic as a way to save engine power, yes it was terrible advice.

Short bursts of booster in a dogfight will help you outmaneuver your opponent and kill/evade them, but at the cost of wasting engine power in an inefficient manor.

Half boosts strike a balance here. Hammering down until your power pool is ~half gone, then letting it quick regen back to full is inefficient, but can help you conserve engine power for when you really need it. It's something worth playing around with as an idea, and testing on your own. I say give that a go, see how it works for you. It may feel *right* to some people, and very wrong to others. Remember, although the math doesn't lie, it doesn't tell the whole story either.

Half boosts strike a balance here. Hammering down until your power pool is ~half gone, then letting it quick regen back to full is inefficient, but can help you conserve engine power for when you really need it.

No it doesn't. If you "stutter step" like this to half power, you will be move approximately 60% of the distance you would move by holding down boost to half power. And, by definition, something can't both be inefficient and help you conserve.

There is absolutely nothing else to say on this topic. I really don't want to come off as condescending, but there is no possible way to conserve power by stutter stepping. As long as you know that the initial cost exists, I don't see how anyone could come to that conclusion.

Edited by Armonddd

Are you two both talking about the same thing?

The poster talked about push-release, which is (as was stated by Jordo) not efficient at all, but can help avoid fire because it moves the reticule everywhere in the universe and back a bunch. Kiko *seemed* to be talking about, if you are faced with a situation that requires a full boost bar to get somewhere, instead boosting to about 60%, then regaining power and boosting the rest of the way there. That involves only two activations instead of one (or the six+ of a stutter thing), and doesn't get you to your location out of breath (but does get you there slower).

The stutter-push is of course terrible on efficiency, as you point out.

Edited by Verain

Actually by definition you are following his advice... boost once for the entire distance needed to move, not several times. Just because the distance you need to move is smaller doesn't make this less true.