What Imperial Bomber to choose?

GinnoTaki

Aesthetically, i really like Decimus, but what you, an experienced Imperial pilots, can say about the Legion? Does it provide really viable combat and support abilities, how it's described in its description?

Thank you in advance.

The Legion or Tier 2 bomber is considered one of the best ships in the current game, and the Decimus or Tier 3 bomber is (unfortunately) considered less powerful. Not only is it less powerful than its tier 1 and 2 bomber relatives, its arguably less useful compared to other starfighters like the gunships or scouts. I would not go so far as to say you would be hurting your team by including it in your five ships on your bar, I don't believe that. But it should not be your only bomber in serious matches, and it probably isn't the go-to bomber for most veteran pilots.

If you'd like to learn about ways to choose components and upgrades to make either bomber as effective as possible, I'd direct you to Stasie's thread or Drakolich's thread which are considered the best resources on ship builds for beginners.

Aesthetics are important, but significantly less so than the capabilities of the starfighters. The flavor text "lore" descriptions are not accurate to how well the ships perform in the actual matches. If you believed the flavor text, you'd think strike fighters are well balanced in the current gameplay environment, but the conventional wisdom (and developer acknowledgement) beg to differ. In general, aesthetics are superfluous in this current gameplay environment. To be truly competitive, you often need to sacrifice aesthetics for efficacy. This holds true not just in terms of ship models, but often individual component choices as well. (I've advocated for GSF-specific rewards like kits that would allow players to choose primary weapon or engine skins independent of their component choice.)

Check out Drako's youtube channel for some of his instructional videos.

The top 4 imperial ships in the current meta are (not ranked in any order, they are closely balanced)

1. Sting scout

2. Mangler gunship

3. Razorwire bomber (domination/satellite matches)

4. Legion (total death match)

There is a mission at the pvp terminal that will give you 5000 fleet requisition. I usually recommend that new players buy the Mangler and Razorwire for 2500 each so they can try everything. Having said that, I do think that the Legion (5000 req) is more useful in domination than the Razorwire is in total death match. Plus, the railgun drone will earn lots of assists (more requisition), so you can advance it quickly even as a raw beginner. The heavy laser/railgun drone/seeker mine build on the Legion is a meta build that is very beginner friendly. Check the guides for the rest of the build. Drakolich has some good posts/videos on how to play bomber builds too. The Decimus requires much more dogfighting practice to be useful and even then has mostly niche uses.

Great thanks to you both for your help!

One more question - what's the first type of SF you would suggest to me to buy? I'm looking towards Sting scout - is it a good choice?

Edited by GinnoTaki

Sting is the T2 Scout

Also known as the ******** scout, the battlescout, the nerfmescout and many other less pleasent names.

It and the T1 Gunship are the 2 most influential ships in GSF

so no its not a good choice, since you really shouldn't need to choose.

the sting is that good, nothing compares

none of the SFs are good, if you really want to go with one......I would say Pike or Imperium, the missleboat or the supporter, whichever you prefer

the sting is that good, nothing compares

The T2 scout only excels when piloted by a good player. For newer players I usually recommend buying the T1 gunship and T1 bomber (Razorwire, relevant to this thread) first. The reasons are:

They're cheap, both can be bought directly after the first match.

They're different classes than the two starter ships, allowing new players to try other playstyles.

They excel at their roles.

Also:

If you'd like to learn about ways to choose components and upgrades to make either bomber as effective as possible, I'd direct you to Stasie's thread or Drakolich's thread which are considered the best resources on ship builds for beginners.

When it comes to the sting/flash. The only analogue to it in ground based PvP would be the sent/mara. Deadly in the right hands, really easy to be bad at.

I realize drawing any analogues between the ground game and GSF is dangerous and hard to do, but that was the best way i could think to describe it.

If you want to dogfight, then get the Sting. As a new player, I would recommend getting burst lasers/targetting telemetry/clusters and a co-pilot with the Wingman ability (Salana). Try to use either targetting telemetry or wingman every time you shoot something. It will help you hit things better, especially at a distance or on the edge of your firing arc. If you are shooting a really good scout, consider using both at the same time. This approach will simplify your cooldowns and make shooting things easier. Plus, this is a very good meta build at the top end.

I love the scouts. They are my favorite and the sting/flashfire is my best ship. However, expect that the learning curve will be steeper. There was almost a month where I could get 20-30K damage in a gunship but only 5K damage in my scout.

You can get a decent build for scouts out of the Blackbolt though it is less new player friendly than the sting. First, ditch rapids and switch to laser cannons/targetting telemetry/distortion field. Keep the rocket pods. I think pod builds are harder for new players, but they are definitely good, especially with all the gunships and bombers out there.

IMO The Decimus is almost a meta support ship in Deathmatch, but only if your team already has a Legion.

Basically you just place your Interdiction drone near your teammate's repair probe to provide some extra support for your Gunships. Then you stay near that area and try to kill stuff with HLC(range capacitors)/Concussions or HLC(range capacitors)/clusters. I personally opt to upgrade the turning thrusters 20%. Power dive is 100% mandatory for mobility.