Stasie's Galactic Starfighter Guide (Ships, Components, Crew, Tips)

TrinityLyre

Sorry folks, somehow the sticky requests you guys threw at us slipped through the cracks! This guide is now stuck :rak_01:.

-eric

"Somehow" being no one looks at this forum anymore, I think. Thanks anyway.

Nice to see we can use [Report] to demand attention. Though I suppose we should try to save that method for the next time you guys break GSF with a regression.

Edited by Nemarus

Sorry folks, somehow the sticky requests you guys threw at us slipped through the cracks! This guide is now stuck :rak_01:.

-eric

It's a miracle! So glad this thread is finally Stuck so that all the new pilots I direct to it can find it easily. Thanks Eric!

This post is a magnificent opus and if it doesn't get stickied these forums are worth literally nothing at all.

This appears to be the first mention of having this thread made a sticky. It took them almost an entire year to actually do it. I'm not sure when people started seriously asking, but there you go.

Good to see that it's stickied now.

I'm so used to only having one stick thread here that I opened the "Welcome" thread about 3 times today because I expect the second to highest thread being one of the active threads.

Finally I don't have to look for this thread manually if I want to look up something.

Edited by Danalon

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the "ask for GSF development" thread. It's great that this is finally stickied.

Given how long some bugs tend to stick around, I'm wondering if we shouldn't create a section for that in one of the early posts and then point to it. Seeker Mine's "deploy three" talent has been broken for all of 3.0, and Sabotage Probe's tier five left talent replaces everything else the move does with a small snare (the snare is meant to be in addition to it). These aren't recommended options or secondaries for any of the build guides, but it will help players who read the build guides and try modifications from stepping in traps. I have a post on page two I could edit in with this info.

Gun Cameras and Data Recorders

Learning from the record.

Why you should record video of your GSF matches if your computer can handle it.

In modern combat aircraft, the base airframe comes standard with the parts that are considered so important that you would never want to fly a mission without them. Things like wings, engines, and ejection seats.

Then there are parts that are added as needed for specific missions. Things like ECM pods, external fuel tanks, missiles, bombs, ammunition for guns.

Gun cameras and data recorders normally come standard.

Let's repeat that just so it sinks in. On a modern fighter, the camera is included in the category of parts that is considered much more important than the category that includes all of the weapons.

Why?

The answer is that the information from the camera and the data recorders allows pilots to learn from mistakes much faster than they would just by direct observation while flying. Figuring out why you almost lost a plane in a training exercise and teaching all your pilots to avoid that mistake is a lot better than loosing a lot of planes and pilots to avoidable mistakes during real combat.

In GSF we don't have some of the concerns that an Air Force would have. Replacing a crashed unit doesn't cost us 30-150 million dollars, we don't discipline pilots for breaking operating procedures, ROE, or laws of war.

We also don't have a built in way to record video in GSF and there's no combat log that we can access.

There are third party recording applications though, and if your computer has the capacity to run GSF and record at the same time, watching those videos can be very helpful if you want to improve your piloting quickly.

When you're flying, you're thinking about what you're doing and what you're going to do. That means that there's not a lot of mental bandwidth left to analyze everything that's going on. So you tend to miss details. Lots of details. In GSF combat, details matter.

If you watch a video though, all of that attention that was focused on flying can be used for observation and analysis. You can notice things like, "I bet that fight would have ended sooner if we hadn't flown past that Damage Overcharge three times in a row before I saw it and picked it up." Does that seem too obvious to really happen while you're flying? Check out research in the science of perception, it is amazing what people can fail to see or hear if they're focusing on something else (like not getting your ship blown up by those three guys locking missiles on you).

You probably don't need to record and watch every match, so which ones do you keep and watch, and which ones do you delete? I'd recommend keeping a few really good games, a few really bad games, and a few average games.

So you've watched your videos, and they're so full of you making enough silly mistakes that you know you're never posting to something like Twitch or Youtube where other people can see. Now what?

Priority number one is to find the mistakes that you made in most or all of your games. Those are the things that are going to improve your performance in every game if you work on correcting them. Also look at your best games. Figure out what it was that made them go well, and in particular, what did you do differently than in your average and poor games.

Another thing to look at is how people that defeated you played, if you can see that in your video. Did Drako, Verain, Siraka, and Stasie clobber your team 50-0 or 1000-0? Forget the advantages in gear and communication that they may have had. Forget the 6 people on your team with zero kills, little damage, and no objective points or medals. Look at what the aces were doing that worked well against you, and see if there were times when you could have done something differently that might have let you do better against them.

At this point take a look at the list of mistakes you want to avoid in the future, or the things you want to practice getting better at, and pick a few of the ones you think are most important. Then fly for a week or two concentrating on improving those few elements of your play. Don't worry about the rest, don't worry about recording every flight. When you think you've made noticeable improvement, record a few average matches and see if those things you've been working on improving are still your biggest problems in GSF. If they are, practice some more. If not, start the video review process again, and figure out what your next most important areas for improvement are.

If you're really new, or just aren't sure what's causing you problems, you can just swallow the embarrassment of all those Power Dives into asteroids, and put some of your videos on Youtube or stream to Twitch. Then drop by the forums with a link and a request for advice. More experienced pilots are usually happy to review and comment as long as the video isn't too long.

TECHNICAL DETAILS

There's a lot of recording and streaming software out there. Unless your computer is a powerhouse when it comes to graphics you'll probably want a fairly lightweight program meant for recording and/or streaming games instead of a heavy duty program meant for professional media content creation.

Keep in mind that the video quality doesn't have to be great as long as you can still tell what's going on. I usually dial the quality down until the text starts getting blurry at the edges.

Recording places extra burdens on your computer's CPU, GPU, and Memory.

Streaming creates all of those burdens and also increases the bandwidth demand on your internet connection.

Video recording programs:

OBS (open broadcasting software) free and open source.

FRAPS Commercial purchase or trial version.

XSplit Broadcaster free or commercial versions.

Overwolf Twitch App free.

Nvidia Shadowplay (if you have a compatible Nvidia GPU)

Raptr (AMD cpus, AMD/ATI gpus)

If you stream to Twitch, it has a list of programs for recording the stream, and fairly extensive guides to how to configure them.

Check the internet for solutions if you have trouble getting the video recorder you picked running, most of the time you can find workarounds to problems.

I haven't been playing very long but I was just wondering how a condor would work as a close range fighter. A GS trying to be a Pike if you will. Obviously not what it's made for but it seems to have the components for it.

Primary- Burst Lazer Canon

I probably would have gone with heavy but it isn't an option

Secondary- Interdiction missiles

Slow the enemy so you can keep up

Secondary- Cluster Missiles

Close range fighting

Shields- Feedback Shields

Close range fighting means mainly primary weapons will be used

Engines- Retro Thrusters

I haven't actually used them yet but they seem to be great for close range combat

Capacitor- Damage

The few hits that land should hit hard

Magazine- Munitions Capacity Extender

Maybe not needed but I run out of amount in my flash fire all the time

Reactor- Large

Why not

Thrusters- Turning

Close range need as much agility as possible

Co-pilot- Lieutenant Iresso

Offensive- Qyzen Fess

Tactical- lieutenant Iresso

Defensive- M1-4X

Engineering- C2-N2

The double missile Condor can be a very fun close range fighter.

You might think about going with regeneration thrusters instead of turning, to avoid being perpetually out of gas.

It's not mandatory, but there's definitely a tradeoff. With turning thrusters you'll have to stick close to cover pretty much all the time, and be extremely conservative with your engine power. This is especially true if you're passing up both the strength of directional shields and the evasion and extra missile break of Distortion Field.

If you want an "on the sat" dogfighter, I'd just change out the Feedback for Directional shields.

If you want a generalist dogfighter I'd strongly recommend changing to Regeneration Thrusters and Distortion Field.

Your advantage in maneuverability is going to come from your Interdiction Missile debuffs.

You should also pick up Nadia Grell for your defensive crew member as soon as you get her unlocked.

Edited by Ramalina

The double missile Condor can be a very fun close range fighter.

You might think about going with regeneration thrusters instead of turning, to avoid being perpetually out of gas.

It's not mandatory, but there's definitely a tradeoff. With turning thrusters you'll have to stick close to cover pretty much all the time, and be extremely conservative with your engine power. This is especially true if you're passing up both the strength of directional shields and the evasion and extra missile break of Distortion Field.

If you want an "on the sat" dogfighter, I'd just change out the Feedback for Directional shields.

If you want a generalist dogfighter I'd strongly recommend changing to Regeneration Thrusters and Distortion Field.

Your advantage in maneuverability is going to come from your Interdiction Missile debuffs.

You should also pick up Nadia Grell for your defensive crew member as soon as you get her unlocked.

I was going more for tanking the damage than evasion, I didn't think of the GS as an evasive ship. I was thinking feedback so some of the damage goes back to the attacker.

I like my warcarrier for sats but I was thinking about an alternative for holding sats, maybe switch to EMP for taking them. I was going more for being able to take damage fighting bombers under sat. Kind of a "heavy" strike I guess.

As far as TDM goes I just figured it would be unexpected and would be a nice surprise for any scout coming after you. I didn't know if the Interdiction missiles slowed scouts enough for the condor to match the agility without turning thrusters.

I have about a little over a month playing so far but these guides have really helped a lot. I saw there weren't many GS builds so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I haven't been playing very long but I was just wondering how a condor would work as a close range fighter. A GS trying to be a Pike if you will. Obviously not what it's made for but it seems to have the components for it.

I have done this very thing with some success and a lot of fun! Use a Pike build and fly it like a Pike.

• 3 weeks later...
is there anyway to see allied players health?...and what is the defualt c key...i have extensively remapped mine...third what is the v-auto roll used for?

There is currently no way to see allied players health.

The c key by default turns your camera to look at your current target.

Auto roll when you hold the key down for it levels you out horizontally with the map. It levels you out.

Hope that helps. If I missed something let me know! :)

There is currently no way to see allied players health.

The c key by default turns your camera to look at your current target.

Auto roll when you hold the key down for it levels you out horizontally with the map. It levels you out.

Hope that helps. If I missed something let me know! :)

thanks a bunch!

• 1 month later...

A beginner's guide to GSF requisition.

For gearing ships in GSF the in-game currencies used to purchase upgrades are called requisition. There are two kinds of requisition.

Ship requisition. The Hangar interface icons and text relating to this kind of requisition are displayed in green. Ship requisition can used to unlock access to a component on a ship that you already own and it can be used to purchase upgrades for a component that is already unlocked.

Fleet requisition. The Hangar interface icons and text relating to this kind of requision are displayed in a light purple. Fleet requisition can be used for the same things as ship requisition, but it is the only kind of requisition that can unlock additional ships and additional crew members. Fleet requisition is also earned at a much slower rate than ship requisition is. It is possible to use Cartel Coins to convert ship requisition into fleet requisition, but that can get expensive if you do a lot of it. It is best to reserve your fleet requisition for unlocking new ships and crew members. There is a conversion button >> in the Hangar interface.

Unlocking and mastering a ship's components for a good ship build typically takes 135,000 to 175,000 ship requisition. Wisely spent though, you can get 80% to 90% of the finished build's power with the first 50,000 to 60,000 requisition. The build guides in Stasie's guide are very helpful in figuring out what to upgrade first. Unlocking a new ship takes 2,500 or 5,000 fleet requisiton depending on the ship, and unlocking crew members takes 1,250 fleet requisition. Crew members can also be unlocked by leveling up your character and aquiring the companions in ground game play.

Daily GSF missions provide 938 requistion for each ship you have unlocked, weekly missions provide 3,125 ship requisition for each ship you have unlocked and 625 fleet requisition per week. To complete the missions you need two games for the daily and 7 games for the weekly, and as with the daily and weekly ground PvP missions wins count as 2 games.

If you play every day and do the minimum number of games needed to finish the daily and weekly missions it is fairly easy to earn 13,000 to 17,000 ship requisition per week. Adding one or two extra games per day can push this to over 25,000 ship requisition per week. So with about two weeks of daily play at 2 - 4 games per day you'll have a ship that's almost at full power in terms of gear.

Flying to maximize requisition.

Daily Bonus requision.

In the GSF hangar you may see a little purple mark in the lower right corner of the ship icons that are currently active in your hangar. This mark signifies that the daily bonus is available on that ship. Every day each ship gets a 50% increase in requisition earned per game that can earn up to a maximum of 500 bonus requistion on games flown in that ship. You have to earn about 1500 requistion in matches to exhaust this bonus, which will typically take one or two games flown in that ship. To maximize requisition gains across all ships, fly ships that have the daily bonus active and switch ships once the bonus is depleted. The bonus resets every day, however there is a bug in the Hangar UI where the purple icons indicating that the bonus is available do not reset until after you have played a game of GSF. Don't worry, you still get the bonus for that game even if the icon hasn't been refreshed.

Gameplay strategies to increase requisition earned per match.

For a subscriber in a stock ship, you should aim to get between 1000 and 2000 ship requisition per match with the daily bonus active. F2P players will earn somewhat less as there is a requisition earned multiplier for subscribing. There is a Cartel Market item that you may be able to find on the GTN that will allow F2P players to get the multiplier as well.

At the end of every game there is a scoreboard, and there are three tabs on it. The third tab displays a detailed list of what actions earned requisition during the game. Game length and daily bonuses can make up large amounts of the requisition earned, but you should be looking at the categories that are more strongly influenced by how you play. Defending satellites in domination, destroying satellite turrets, kills, assists, etc.

What you want to do to maximize requisition is find things that you are good at doing that also get a lot of requisition. As an example, a new player in a stock ship is going to have a hard time racking up a lot of kills in a domination game. Defending a friendly sat, or joining a group of more skilled pilots as they capture an enemy sat (and making sure not to get killed while doing so), is going to yield much more requisition than chasing an enemy scout ship across the map for five minutes.

In general for newer players to get good requisition in a game try to:

Domination Matches

Defend satellites (fly very close to a friendly satellite, roughly 250 m or less if you can), Capture satellites (be alive and in range when it turns), and if you have weapons with armor piercing destroying turrets on enemy sats.

Team Death Matches

Get assists. To do this shoot and hit a ship that's being attacked by a more experienced pilot. The goal is to do a little damage to it before the experienced pilot kills it. Gunships and dronecarrier bombers are the easiest to do this in. Scouts can zoom in get off a few shots and boost back to safety but are vulnerable while in the middle of the fight. Strikes should be highly successful standing off with proton torpedoes and heavy lasers for the Starguard and Pike, and their Imperial equivalents. The T3 strikes will struggle a bit in deathmatch in comparison, but are still viable. They'll likely get more assists than kills, and the key is to learn to use their survivibility.

Edited by Ramalina
Flying advice to reflect 5.5 balance changes.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...