physical security key

darrenwn

mmm so here http://www.swtor.com/buy#optional-game-add-ons the security key is advertised as being for sale at £2.99,so i think ill buy 1,hell its worth it for the extra cartel coins every month but when i got to the origin store https://store.origin.com/store?Action=DisplayPage&Env=BASE&IsGift=no&Locale=en_GB&SiteID=eaemea&id=ThreePgCheckoutShoppingCartPage

it turns out to be selling for £10.99? so im wondering is there anywhere else i could purchase one from?

I guess someone managed to break origin again, I cannot get the Security Key to show up, so I cannot say what the problem might be. Isn't it the postage?

nah,it says shipping and handling is free on the order submit form

You can only get them from the publisher. Anyone else's wouldn't work.

If you have a smart phone you can download one for free.

looks like i will do that,would of prefered a physical one,but beggers cant be choosers i guess :/

• Dev Post

I hadn't given an update that the Physical Security Key is available again in the EU Origin Store just yet as we are still working with our partners in Europe on the pricing due to the mismatch which is causing confusion. As soon as we sort out what the pricing is, I'm sure we will post an update.

Do you get the bonus CC coins if you use the phone app, or only if you purchase the USB key?

You should get it in both cases. But only one security key can be active, so no getting double CCs for keychain fob and android app

• 4 weeks later...

I hadn't given an update that the Physical Security Key is available again in the EU Origin Store just yet as we are still working with our partners in Europe on the pricing due to the mismatch which is causing confusion. As soon as we sort out what the pricing is, I'm sure we will post an update.

Is it really taking so long just to decide the price? I would certainly prefer the security key to be available for the higher price then not to be available at all. Any player who is spending repeatedly larger sums than that on cartel coins wont probably mind that much several GBP extra for one time payment for the security key...

• 2 weeks later...

bump....

This site is advertising the security key for 4.33 Euros now and it still is not available on Origin.

So please take the offer to buy the physical security off the website or make it truly available. Everything you (SWTOR team) is doing now is advertising something that is not available and giving false promises.

Please give us a heads up about the development and at what time we can expect the Security Key to be available.

Greetings

Thor

If you have a smart phone you can download one for free.

This is precisely what I did. I hit the Google Play store and put the free App on my Samsung Galaxy S3. Works like a charm, didn't cost a thing, and increased my CC stipend. It is the best way to go. Then, if anything ever happens, they have a self service link in customer support to remove the SK from the account so you can download the app again on your next phone.

I just did this for my Iphone. i got sick of putting in the 1 time password. and i have my phone with me all the time. love this feature...

Agreed. The only thing that used to happen was the SK would turn to a One Time Password and the font would change from Gold to Black. I found that clearing the running apps in the phone refreshes the app and the font color hasn't changed since. I love this mobile version. Even with WoW, I preferred the mobile version to the keychain version. At least mobile was free and more convenient to have with me everywhere. I always left the keychain at home on my desk, so if I wanted to remote in from another PC, or had to authenticate on the forums, I couldn't. Mobile App FTW.

Agreed. The only thing that used to happen was the SK would turn to a One Time Password and the font would change from Gold to Black. I found that clearing the running apps in the phone refreshes the app and the font color hasn't changed since. I love this mobile version. Even with WoW, I preferred the mobile version to the keychain version. At least mobile was free and more convenient to have with me everywhere. I always left the keychain at home on my desk, so if I wanted to remote in from another PC, or had to authenticate on the forums, I couldn't. Mobile App FTW.

There is a longstanding bug with the app. If you simply hit the home button when closing it there's a chance that the font becomes that unreadable black color. You can reset this by hitting back a couple times while in the app. To prevent this you can also just hit back until you get to the home screen (should just be twice).

It used to force close but they fixed that so that now it just becomes unreadable. Not sure which is more annoying.

There is a longstanding bug with the app. If you simply hit the home button when closing it there's a chance that the font becomes that unreadable black color. You can reset this by hitting back a couple times while in the app. To prevent this you can also just hit back until you get to the home screen (should just be twice).

It used to force close but they fixed that so that now it just becomes unreadable. Not sure which is more annoying.

Yeah, I haven't had any issues with it since I now just force close stuff once a day anyway. Sometimes twice if I am using my phone for everything. I tend to only over use it when waiting for food, or car washes/oil changes. As long as I don't use it a bunch that day, I stick with my one app manager to close out the running apps.

sry guys but you are missing the point here. I know there is a free smartphone app.

But this topic is clearly for the separate physical Security key device.

As well as to the point of to every1 having a smart phone. Yes it is rare but that is exactly the reason why such a device is sold. For a company to advertise a device as very secure and great to handle account security it should also be available as advertised.

TLTR: discussion about smart phone app in the appropriate topic please and stick to this thread's topic in here

Greetings

Thor

Apologies for the delays we have had in getting the Physical Security Key made available once more within Europe. What I'm sure looks like an 'easy' thing to do is actually quite complicated internally. While the keys have been available in the Origin Store for the last couple of weeks, they were put up with prices that were different to what was advertised on the SWTOR website. You will be happy to hear that the prices agreed on are the lower of the two, and not the larger of the two :jawa_wink:

I'm happy to announce that for most of Europe, the Physical Security Key is once more available.

For the rest of Europe we are still working on making the Physical Security Key available once more in the following countries:

• Czech Republic
  • Germany
  • Poland
  • Switzerland

As soon as I have an update on these countries I will be posting another update.

As each link is country specific for finding the key within the Origin Store, and as we can't guarantee that the links won't change over time, the easiest way to find the item in the store is to open the Origin Store in a browser ( http://store.origin.com ) and in the upper right-corner, type "Star Wars Physical Security Key" in the search box.

It would seem they are still trying to work out the kinks. It's been just about 30 days. Maybe they will have another response soon.

so im wondering is there anywhere else i could purchase one from?

In response to THIS portion of your inquiry, the answer is no. They would never risk the security to accounts of allowing more than one company to securely handle something like this. I would imagine something other than that which would come directly from Bioware or Origin would be a legitimate source.

thx for the link Superman_AZ....

strangely the forum search didint reveal that post to me.

And sadly iam living in one of the countries where it is still not working...

I am sorry to hear that. I've looked through multiple sites, and even the official FAQ here on the SWTOR site. Origin is the only authorized seller of the Keyfob.

Edited: See next post. He was here earlier.

Edited by Superman_AZ

I missed this earlier apparently.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

if u dont have a mobile for the security and since the physical still not available in 98% of euro-countries, the only option is an old and used Tablet.

if i find one with 15 euros ill grabb it, nothing can compaire with the physical's price but what can we do, its more than 4 months so far