@Beesodd - out of pure curiousity :)

Wolvereen

... I know as soon as I hit the required amount for an item on my shopping list, I'm straight to the Fleet(not mid-run ofc :D). The weekly cap would be to discourage excessive comm grinding.

Anyway, thanks for the post. :)

Are you a "normal" player on the official servers, or do you have to play with the other BW-staff on seperate servers?

If yes (offical server), do your guild members know who you are? ;)

W

• Dev Post
They've said before that devs play on the same servers as everyone else. They are however not allowed to tell players that they are devs, so it is true that some are in guilds and no one knows who they are.

That was the answer we were looking for. :jawa_wink:

The majority of the studio play on the 'official' servers on pretty much a daily basis. We aren't allowed to say what our character names are or even that we work here to our guild-mates, but we do play... Some of us more than others of course!

We even have mini competitions between ourselves to see who can play the most of the most things.

The majority of the studio play on the 'official' servers on pretty much a daily basis. We aren't allowed to say what our character names are or even that we work here to our guild-mates, but we do play... Some of us more than others of course!

We even have mini competitions between ourselves to see who can play the most of the most things.

Just out of curiosity.

I understand the caution but just curious why you specifically don't allow it?

It would be opening the particular Employee to millions of questions regarding upcoming content or bugs or whatever. But wouldn't it be up to the particular employee to know this and up to them?

Just out of curiosity.

It would be opening the particular Employee to millions of questions regarding upcoming content or bugs or whatever. But wouldn't it be up to the particular employee to know this and up to them?

No good would come of it. That's the reality.

Just out of curiosity.

It creates potential for claims of conflict of interest... favortism.... etc. etc.

How?

One example: Employee plays in an active guild and is known. Other guilds then begin to think (right or wrong does not matter) that that guild is getting favors or perks (like better then average drops in OPs) etc. etc.

Another Example: Employee plays in an active guild and is known. Guild members constantly needle and poke for non-public information. Even when none is shared.... some guild members will "make **** up" and claim it was told to them.. and other people know said liar is in a guild that has Bioware employees in it and much anger indignation and anguish ensues in game in and in the forum.

I could go on and on here.... but I think the above two examples makes the point. This crap happened in EVE years ago and it was very destructive.

[inb4 someone takes a shot at me once again and claims I am a Bioware employee or consultant... I'M NOT. I'm just thoughtful enough to figure out why things are the way they are]

Personally, I am happy to know that there are anonymous Bioware employees in game around us, and quietly inside guilds. It shows they take an interest and want to see what is going on inside the game.... NOT from the comfort of an armchair somewhere. It goes to the concept of empathy.

Edited by Andryah

Well we do know a few things....

You play East coast US server.Some on PvE and some on PvP for the most part.

Most of you play Empire as we know...Many devs have said, juggernaut, sniper, assassin, sorc,powerteck,marauder.

And no one on the PvP team have ever played a commando or mercenary. This we know with a 100%

Edited by Lord_Karsk

It creates potential for claims of conflict of interest... favortism.... etc. etc.

How?

One example: Employee plays in an active guild and is known. Other guilds then begin to think (right or wrong does not matter) that that guild is getting favors or perks (like better then average drops in OPs) etc. etc.

Another Example: Employee plays in an active guild and is known. Guild members constantly needle and poke for non-public information. Even when none is shared.... some guild members will "make **** up" and claim it was told to them.. and other people know said liar is in a guild that has Bioware employees in it and much anger indignation and anguish ensues in game in and in the forum.

I could go on and on here.... but I think the above two examples makes the point.

[inb4 someone takes a shot at me once again and claims I am a Bioware employee or consultant... I'M NOT. I'm just toughtful enough to figure out why things are the way they are]

Did those examples come directly from your Bioware Employee Handbook?!

:p

Well we do know a few things....

You play East coast US server.Some on PvE and some on PvP for the most part.

Most of you play Empire as we know...Many devs have said, juggernaut, sniper, assassin, sorc,powerteck,marauder.

And no one on the PvP team have ever played a commando or mercenary. This we know with a 100%

Feel better now?

Selective use of facts and application of absolutes (100%) does not mean you know anything. ;) All it shows is that you are an axe grinder IMO.

Edited by Andryah

How?

I could go on and on here.... but I think the above two examples makes the point. This crap happened in EVE years ago and it was very destructive.

[inb4 someone takes a shot at me once again and claims I am a Bioware employee or consultant... I'M NOT. I'm just thoughtful enough to figure out why things are the way they are]

Personally, I am happy to know that there are anonymous Bioware employees in game around us, and quietly inside guilds. It shows they take an interest and want to see what is going on inside the game.... NOT from the comfort of an armchair somewhere. It goes to the concept of empathy.

I can see that. I work for a mostly faceless (but heavily used in big cities) online company.

If we meet any of our members, we are generally encouraged to say we work for the company and get feedback.

I guess it depends on the company attitude. And there is a big difference between randomly running into an employee and having a character name you could constantly bother.

I can see that. I work for a mostly faceless (but heavily used in big cities) online company.

If we meet any of our members, we are generally encouraged to say we work for the company and get feedback.

I guess it depends on the company attitude. And there is a big difference between randomly running into an employee and having a character name you could constantly bother.

To add on to that it also allows them to "observe the natives in their natural habitat", which in some ways is better feedback than you can ever just ask for. Players would completely change how they respond to and around a dev, versus just another player. In your scenario it's like gathering notes by sitting at your customer's desk and watching them browse the internet. You can see their natural reaction to things, and not just what they're willing to tell you.

Question: how many play in rated warzones? Do you have at least 1 employee playing each advanced class in a rated warzone environment?

That's gotta be a little rough. Have you ever been a guild that bashed BW or something you took pride in? For example, say you made a certain quest and it goes live and then you hear your guildies start mocking it, completely unaware that you were the lead designer of it? That's just an example, but you get the gist of it.

If you do, congrats on having thick skin. I suppose it's somewhat similar when my guildmates make fun of each other for random things about each other, but that's typical "guy's being guy's" while the other is probably more cruel because it's indirectly behind your back.

That's hilarious! You guys are super sneaky....I love it. Now its my goal to secretly find a developer in my guild.... :p

In my WoW guild, we had 5 Blizzard employees in our guild and one was a community manager. They weren't really high on the totem pole or anything and now they're all on the Diablo III team ;) They didn't really like the information to get out beyond the guild officers though.

I imagine if some of the swtor designers had their cover blown they'd never get to play, it would be nothing but questions and suggestions all day long and they'd have to ignore people eventually.

But just keep in mind, there's a good chance that there are several Bioware employees online reading general chat in some places. You might even run into them in a WZ or random FP and ninja their loot!

I just hope. That the employees are not bared from helping a raiding guild with a mechanic or someone asking a question about a new quest in general chat. Especially if it one they may have designed

People help each other with that sort of thing all the time, if you can ignore all the snarky people. For all you know, some of the people that answer nicely could have been employees. But then it's not like people need to be employees to answer a question like that. I generally try to help people with stuff like that all the time. Most people aren't stuck on raiding mechanics and asking for help in General, though. They go to websites that have guides.

I would love to see the internal list of identified issues and gripes the covert Bioware employees have put together while playing the game. Any chance of you sharing that?

There always seems to be an us vs. them deal between the players and the devs. It would be cool to see how the devs as players view the game.

Edited by spacerobot

I would love to see the internal list of identified issues and gripes the covert Bioware employees have put together while playing the game. Any chance of you sharing that?

With the exception of the known issues list. I don't think we will see anything else.

A developer seeing a bug and a player seeing a bug are very different. They may find a bug and instead of filing a new bug report. They may just add it as a symptom of something else.

It would probably require more work that necessary to take those bugs and separate them into a list for players in a way that does not reveal critical information.

Edited by ninjonxb

Anonymous and Jullian Assange are now on the case. Massive trove of leaked memos to be provided shortly.

• Dev Post
I just hope. That the employees are not bared from helping a raiding guild with a mechanic or someone asking a question about a new quest in general chat. Especially if it one they may have designed

This kind of thing would be up to each individual. At the end of the day when I am sitting in my living room playing SWTOR I am just another player in the universe :rak_03:

With that being said I usually make it a point to help people when I can, especially with people asking questions in general chat etc. That kind of stuff can get lost in general chat "chatter" so I try to help those folks when I can.

There always seems to be an us vs. them deal between the players and the devs. It would be cool to see how the devs as players view the game.

I try to use general chat in a couple of different situations. Any time we release a new game update, etc. I will always park my character on the fleet and watch general chat to monitor for any issues that may pop up. It gives another stream of information to watch besides the forums and social media.

When I am playing personally, I will always try to take note of issues I see people report or just shoot a reminder email to myself and Amber to have it looked into the next workday. Mileage will vary by person but I can speak for myself in saying that I definitely use my experience in game to help pass on information to folks internally!

-eric