Will Anthem be the death of swtor?

TrixxieTriss

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this review of Anthem and if it’s all true, then you have to wonder how long BioWare as a studio can last and what the hell happens to swtor if they close BioWare down.

I don't think Anthem will kill SWTOR... I was playing EQ for the last three months they survived two mass exodus and are going to have the 20th anniversary on March 16th. In all I am sure that another studio would pick this game up either within EA or sold to another studio... I can't see them closing something that does still make a bit $$$ heck I just spent $200 that should keep the lights on for another month! :D

Nah I don't think it will either. Honestly, Anthem doing well will probably only increase chances for SWTOR to do well. If Anthem tanked, then well we'll see I guess.

And on a positive note, I've heard that SWTOR just recently added a couple of developers to their team!

Edited by JediKnightGeorge

Every new game that comes out has been deemed the death of SWTOR,

Yet still it is here, the only death of SWTOR will likely be either a new SW MMO ala what happened with SWG, or what happens at the end of the 10 year Star Wars Licence with EA

Anthem is getting mixed reviews and there is a lot riding on its success, while it has impacted TOR with staff working on it,It wont kill it outright

After watching most of this review, something started to make sense about the current state of swtor.

Just about every criticism this reviewer made can be found in swtor 5.x.

Which makes me think that the swtor guys were just copying Anthem stuff or the Anthem guys were getting their feet wet making swtor stuff before they could work on Anthem.

So much of the last 12 months of swtor seems to represent everything the reviewer thinks is wrong with Anthem.

Of course that’s my point of view and to be fair, there are some differences. But at the core, I feel there was some cross over culture of ideas that made it into both games and none of them good.

Maybe Anthem itself won’t single handily kill swtor or BioWare if it fails, but the cross over of ideas I feel has happened could be why swtor is less fun now and why people are leaving more and more. So maybe if Anthem fails, swtor fails too because BioWare don’t understand the players they are supposed to be catering too for both games.

I think if BioWare as a studio don’t change or are allowed to change, then EA will just close the studio. Swtor would then go full maintenance or even be shut totally. Either way, no new content and no bug fixes. If it happens, it will be sudden and swift and most people won’t see expect it at the time. EA certainly won’t give any warning to them and definitely not to us. I think the writings been on the wall since 5.x debacle and I think 5.10 has accelerated the process.

I think part of the reason we have no road map until the cantina, no communication (worse than usual) and little to no content that’s been replaced by more grind, is because BioWare are waiting to see what the fall out from Anthem will be.

Every new game that comes out has been deemed the death of SWTOR,

Yet still it is here, the only death of SWTOR will likely be either a new SW MMO ala what happened with SWG, or what happens at the end of the 10 year Star Wars Licence with EA

Anthem is getting mixed reviews and there is a lot riding on its success, while it has impacted TOR with staff working on it,It wont kill it outright

The difference is Anthem is BioWare, not another game from another studio. All of Biowares current eggs are in the Anthem basket. If BioWare themselves get shut down (EA have a track record of doing this), what happens to swtor?

Nah I don't think it will either. Honestly, Anthem doing well will probably only increase chances for SWTOR to do well. If Anthem tanked, then well we'll see I guess.

And on a positive note, I've heard that SWTOR just recently added a couple of developers to their team!

That’s my point. Anthem doesn’t look like it’s going to do well. If it was, then BioWare would have a good standing with EA and may even be able to secure more funding for swtor.

I don’t think Anthem will be the death of swtor if it does well, I think it will kill swtor if it tanks.

Edit: the take away from all the 6 reviews I’ve read or watched is this... Anthem looks beautiful and awesome... but it’s not fun/engaging and is boring...

It sums up everything we’ve been saying on these forums to BioWare for the last 18 months about swtor.

They don’t listen and they continuously keep making swtor less fun and more boring.

I’m sure if there were real reviews of the latest iteration of swtor from 5.x and those reviewers had no knowledge of swtor history or access to content before 5.x, they would come to the same conclusions.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

The difference is Anthem is BioWare, not another game from another studio. All of Biowares current eggs are in the Anthem basket. If BioWare themselves get shut down (EA have a track record of doing this), what happens to swtor?

What happens to TOR if Bioware closes? Nothing

The agreement will be with EA and Lucasfilm, as EA bought Bioware in part due to SWTOR. What they would likely do is look at how it performs individually, how EA is performing and whether or not restructuring is needed. EA is counting on big success with Anthem, they dont have much planned around outside of yearly releases to really bank on this year,

If Anthem goes down and EA gets in a spot of bother, the company may look at its operations and see what if anything needs cutting. The long rumoured word is SWTOR was granted a ten year licence, and would be up for review after that, I have no source its just been speculation since they announced the game back in 2008,

If 2021 hits they may look at it then and decide, they could have abuy out option to Lucasfilm so they can close down early and compensate them, then the last thing is how the 10 year exclusive rights to EA for Star wars goes, that expires 2023 I believe,

aside from massive political or natural disaster I dont think we need to worry about SWTOR for a while yet, numbers are up and the game has regained a positive vibe and still seems to be in the good books for EA.

Bioware dying or not likely will not have an impact, the staff will just get renamed under EA Austin and carry on working on TOR

I have been on Coruscant for a few hours now with 4 maps.. And the one I was in the 4th had 65 people in it. Anthem isn't for everyone not everyone can play on top computers and min specs for anthem for most games are quite high. I could of gotten anthem today but decided to come back to this game... I don't see this game going anywhere any time soon but that's my opinion.

I read 3 reviews. They all give Anthem a B- to C rating. But the game's potential, once the quests/fights get a little more variety -- and bugs & certain graphical delays are fixed -- it should be an A game.

Not that I play shooters, but it is interesting to read about.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

I have been on Coruscant for a few hours now with 4 maps.. And the one I was in the 4th had 65 people in it. Anthem isn't for everyone not everyone can play on top computers and min specs for anthem for most games are quite high. I could of gotten anthem today but decided to come back to this game... I don't see this game going anywhere any time soon but that's my opinion.

You do realise it’s double XP :rolleyes:

I read 3 reviews. They all give Anthem a B- to C rating. But the game's potential, once the quests/fights get a little more variety -- and bugs & certain graphical delays are fixed -- it should be an A game.

Not that I play shooters, but it is interesting to read about.

Most say it looks good... it’s just boring

You do realise it’s double XP :rolleyes:

Hey don't burst my bubble! ;) if anthem gets a solid footing it will be a good thing people just need to leave personal opinions at the door about EA and give it an honest try. I was thinking of getting it today but decided against it due to my system probably wouldn't run it well. So I cam back here. Fact of the matter is all gaming company's are almost identical I can only think of one company that rewards you after just buying one game and that is Crytivo. I bought "The Universim" couple years ago at full price. This Valentine's Day they gave me 10'000 coins just because... Coins are used to get substantial discounts on any of there games. Anyhow they do not as yet have a MMO. But if they ever do offer one I will be there with all my banked coins.

For SWTOR and how long I will play we will see... But I am here so Game On?

Edited by CKNORTH

For SWTOR and how long I will play we will see... But I am here so Game On?

You will soon see the reality of Swtor 2019 (after the double CXP week).

Anyway, I don't think Swtor needs Anthem in order to die. They're pretty good at going themselves to this direction.

Directly, No. They are two separate games how one does well or ...not so much is that one games business and the other one(s) go on with their self. if Anthem does not Live up to whatever standard E.A. has set and expects back it could put BioWare in a bad light with another product that E.A. does not like. It is true E.A. does not have any patience with companies they feel wont make them rich..er especially if they feel there is no potential to do so. Maybe with Anthems release some will look back at SWTOR as the Public still Likes "Star Wars" (Despite what Disney has done to it) :).

You regulars here have such derangement syndrome - - it is looking very bleak. SWTOR fan bois living in la-la land.....

:rolleyes:

Anthem is a DUD. Stick a fork in it. Now is the time for the SWTOR devs to go behind EA's backs like APEX Legends and just GO ROGUE and make some fantastic stuff for SWTOR - if that is still even possible. And if Ben Irving gets hired or taken back on for SWTOR then it is GAME OVER.

Edited by JepFareborn

Not going to sit through some youtube conspiracy video, but... Anthem might be death of TOR, but not because it steals players. I think it might happen in 2 cases: Anthem does really well, making EA go "Hey, keep focusing on that game" which will leave TOR in its current state with 2 developers and the intern that occasionally does social media. Or Anthem does really badly and since EA wants it to succeed after having pooled all the Bioware developers to it and spent millions on the hype train, so they'll axe other things like TOR, similar to how NCSoft did with various games due to GW2 which had the same thing going.

The fact remains though that TOR is the only Star Wars MMORPG available and will remain profitable due to that fact, especially when there's little money spent on its development and none spent on QA. People will keep playing it unless an alternative pops up, and there's nothing on the horizon in that regard. I don't think EA wants to give up that source of revenue, Rebootlefront 2 isn't exactly the milking cow they'd hoped for.

Edited by Pscyon

You regulars here have such derangement syndrome - - it is looking very bleak. SWTOR fan bois living in la-la land.....

:rolleyes:

Anthem is a DUD. Stick a fork in it. Now is the time for the SWTOR devs to go behind EA's backs like APEX Legends and just GO ROGUE and make some fantastic stuff for SWTOR - if that is still even possible. And if Ben Irving gets hired or taken back on for SWTOR then it is GAME OVER.

I don't know if Anthem is DOA, but at this point I do think it will perform well below EA's expectations. SWTOR will have a tough time getting its people back since, based on reviews, they'll be spending years writing patches for Anthem. As for Ben, well all I can say it that it's nice to see his magic touch bringing out the best in Anthem like it did SWTOR. Well, that and my sig.

I just saw this review of Anthem and if it’s all true, then you have to wonder how long BioWare as a studio can last and what the hell happens to swtor if they close BioWare down.

Of much bigger impact on this particular game will be how Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order does. That is going to be a barometer of how Star Wars as a license within EA will continue to work.

Of impact to BioWare itself (i.e., as a studio), yeah definitely Anthem will have some impact. I just wouldn't worry that it's going to be an outsized impact (as in "Studio Shuts Down!") If Anthem proves to have more downside risk than upside risk, that would be two such situations in a row: Mass Effect: Andromeda and Anthem. One based on an existing franchise, one entirely new. (Note that a game can sell very well but not actually turn a profit, thus having more downside risk.)

That would not necessarily have to impact this game at all since the revenues of one don't directly impact the other. But it would, of course, be concerning from a studio perspective. And most likely they would pin their hopes on the next Dragon Age to turn things around while also trying to continue Anthem, as opposed to abandoning it, as they did with Andromeda.

So there's two questions regarding the health of BioWare itself and the health of SWTOR. Obviously if BioWare closed its doors, SWTOR would go with it. But even an unhealthy BioWare could still sustain SWTOR for some time to come. Whether that would be a good thing or not, of course, depends on people's perceptions of what "sustain" means.

It looks like it could be a fun game. I just don't see the point of it. Fly around, shoot stuff, repeat. Visually it looks stunning and the customization is top notch, but no video I've seen has been able to say why you're doing these things other than Destiny did it. I don't think we here in the MMO crowd are the target audience anyway, but I might get it anyway, though I'll let someone else be launch day guinea pigs.