How can I speed up my game loading etc.

Nagarrok

Hello, I have a Geforce 9500GT graphics card for my comp; I play the game on low settings and its fine the way it is, it takes a while to load scenery etc sometimes. Was wondering if increasing my RAM would help speed things up a bit I think i have 2G. If it would help definitely going to buy some RAM.

Here is my comp, I know its not a gaming comp but does the job. Im an ex WOW player and I never had trouble. Other games I play, EVE online, and countless mmorpgs:http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00749158&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen&lc=en&product=3239117

Your RAM is what's killing your load times, 2 gigs is not much to run anything with yes it will help tremendously. Also update your drivers to make sure you have the latest.

Edit: I'm amazed you can run much of anything with only two gigs of RAM lol.

Edited by GeneralArrow

Yeah, if you already haven't, update your RAM to the maximum that your Motherboard can support (which is 4GB of course), since the optimum quantity of RAM one can use for gaming is generally between 8 and 12, and you're not necessarily allowed to get quite to that point - You can at least get close!

• 1 month later...

couple of things you can do

RAM - cheapest route. if you have 32bit, 4GB is max

Graphic Card - You can update your graphic driver FIRST and probably see improvement. I notice that if you turn shadow off, it works wonders! ;)

SSD - solid state drive. Installing the game on this drive (and your OS) make things load REALLY fast on the hard drive level.

The slowest of the three is hard drive, but a good SSD cost as much as a graphic card.

Most you can get with 32 bit is 2 gig I have x86 (changing soon to x64) and have 4 gig ram but comp will only "see" 2 gigs.

That is incorrect.

As 4GB is the maximum amount of address space that can be accessed by a 32-bit system. The actual amount of memory available for use will depend on the hardware in your system, as this also needs to be mapped in to that 4GB address space. This typically leaves between 3.25 and 3.75 GB of available (useable) memory.

Which means you might be having other issues I.e on board graphics sharing memory.

Greetings everyone!

We have a few threads that are dedicated in assisting you with any technical questions you have in regards to specs and help in order to run Star Wars™: The Old Republic™.

As a reminder, our Minimum System Requirements found in our FAQ are as followed:

What are the system requirements for the game?

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:

Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM

Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:

ATI X1800 or better

nVidia 7800 or better

Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

DVD-ROM drive – 8x speed or better (required for installation from physical editions only) Internet connection required to play.

We are going to go ahead and close this thread but ask that you please continue your discussion in one of the following:

Desktop Hardware Q&A

Laptop Hardware Q&A

Looking to Build a New Machine?

If you are looking to increase your performance, we have the following guides that may assist you:

The Ultimate guide to speeding up win 7 on low/mid range systems ready for TOR!

Ultimate* Desktop PC Performance Guide

We hope this helps!