Gearing Guides for the Simple Man

Tromador

I love the guides that are out there, they go into detail about what gear you should get, the Shakalaka Implant that falls from the Oogly Boogly Boss in the BamBam Operation in NiM. Which, in the unlikely event I do NiM ops, will only drop one time in forty six and when it does, someone else will "need it for his alt" and essentially my chances of seeing such gear are vanishingly small.

Short answer, unlikely to be anywhere near BiS gear, but that's ok, I can deal. I don't need that level of gear for the stuff I do, or am likely to do.

So my question is are there gearing guides for mere mortals like me? For a tank, what mixture of bastion vs bulwark, or even what absorption vs shield are we aiming for. For DPS, what accuracy vs crit? Healers I imagine don't need accuracy at all.

Maybe it's my google fu, but up to date guides that I can find talk about gearing beyond my wildest dreams.

I love the guides that are out there, they go into detail about what gear you should get, the Shakalaka Implant that falls from the Oogly Boogly Boss in the BamBam Operation in NiM. Which, in the unlikely event I do NiM ops, will only drop one time in forty six and when it does, someone else will "need it for his alt" and essentially my chances of seeing such gear are vanishingly small.

Short answer, unlikely to be anywhere near BiS gear, but that's ok, I can deal. I don't need that level of gear for the stuff I do, or am likely to do.

So my question is are there gearing guides for mere mortals like me? For a tank, what mixture of bastion vs bulwark, or even what absorption vs shield are we aiming for. For DPS, what accuracy vs crit? Healers I imagine don't need accuracy at all.

Maybe it's my google fu, but up to date guides that I can find talk about gearing beyond my wildest dreams.

You can get BiS implants/earpieces, relics, armoring, mods, and enhancements from doing anything. Those aren't exclusive to NiM Operations. They can drop in FP's from bosses, Operation bosses, Renown crates, Conquest crates etc. Just play your way and eventually you can get them. They are random drop regardless of what you do. The fastest way may be doing FP's, since you can spam them as much as you like. HS, and RR are the fastest 2 generally.

There are class guides out there that usually give a decent amount of information on what basic stats you'd want. Try Checking out Vulkk's website for a class guide.

Edited by Toraak

For many dps classes (if you play PVE, extra accuracy is useless in PVP) you want to open your character panel and see 110% accuracy. Next, aim for 7.3% alacrity or so. Put everything else into crit. If you have a class that doesn't have any channeled attacks, or poor latency, you may want to invest more heavily in crit and forget about the alacrity.

For tanks, you'll have to check the tank guides for each specific class, since they all prioritize different things. That said, if you're just looking for a general guide, aim for 50% or 40/60 split of absorption and shield.

The Super Lazy Max 306 Guide to DPS gearing (No set gear or tactical recommendations)

• Just at or over 110% Accuracy
  • Just over 7.14% Alacrity (you can try for just over 15.38% as an alternate)
  • Everything else in Critical
  • Relics: Devastating Vengeance, Primeval Fatesealer
  • Color Crystals: Eviscerating in both
  • Special Case:
    • Madness/Balance Only - Alacrity just over 5% (or 16.36% with Fatesealer active)
    • Lightning/Telekinetics Only - Serendipitous Assault instead of Primeval Fatesealer, Alacrity just over 11.36%
    • Arsenal/Gunnery Only- Serendipitous Assault instead of Primeval Fatesealer, Alacrity just over 15.38%
    • Carnage/Combat Only - Serendipitous Assault instead of Primeval Fatesealer, Alacrity just over 15.38%

Source of points doesn't matter. individual barrel/hilt/armoring or mods can be whatever gives most total stat points, individual enhancement/ear/implant it's probably better to look for the highest value for the Accuracy/alacrity/critical stat.

If you want to waste money on Armoring Amplifiers, Force Sensitivity For all Sorc/Sage, Tech Wiz for all PT/Vanguard, Weapon Expertise for Deception/infiltration and Carnage/Combat, Periodic intensity for all DoT Classes, And Armor Pen for all others. Mission Rewards is probably the best generic shell amp, Durrable equipment is probably the best generic mod amp.

Set Gear/tacticals, just get whatever is on the vendor for your class that works with your skills

ETA:

If you are not a Crafter,...

• Biochem to max so you can use reusable medpac/stim/adrenal.
  • Slicing for free money nodes and some FP shortcuts
  • Any other gather crew skill
    • Archaeology for FP shortcut (Athiss only)
    • Bioanalysis if you don't have it on another toon for cheaper leveling of Biochem
    • Scavenging for FP Shortcuts

Edited by Void_Singer

Want simple? Spam run Hammer Station until your eyes tear then run it some more until you want to jump out a window.

Faster running red reaper on a stealth.

Average 10 mins doing solo on vet. 13 mins solo on Master.

Running it in two man is even faster. Best MM so far on two sins is 7mins

You can comfortably do 5-6 in an hour.

The Super Lazy Max 306 Guide to DPS gearing (No set gear or tactical recommendations)

• Just at or over 110% Accuracy
  • Just over 7.14% Alacrity (you can try for just over 15.38% as an alternate)
  • Everything else in Critical
  • Relics: Devastating Vengeance, Primeval Fatesealer
  • Color Crystals: Eviscerating in both
  • Special Case:
    • Madness/Balance Only - Alacrity just over 5% (or 16.36% with Fatesealer active)
    • Lightning/Telekinetics Only - Serendipitous Assault instead of Primeval Fatesealer, Alacrity just over 11.36%
    • Arsenal/Gunnery Only- Serendipitous Assault instead of Primeval Fatesealer, Alacrity just over 15.38%
    • Carnage/Combat Only - Serendipitous Assault instead of Primeval Fatesealer, Alacrity just over 15.38%

Source of points doesn't matter. individual barrel/hilt/armoring or mods can be whatever gives most total stat points, individual enhancement/ear/implant it's probably better to look for the highest value for the Accuracy/alacrity/critical stat.

If you want to waste money on Armoring Amplifiers, Force Sensitivity For all Sorc/Sage, Tech Wiz for all PT/Vanguard, Weapon Expertise for Deception/infiltration and Carnage/Combat, Periodic intensity for all DoT Classes, And Armor Pen for all others. Mission Rewards is probably the best generic shell amp, Durrable equipment is probably the best generic mod amp.

Set Gear/tacticals, just get whatever is on the vendor for your class that works with your skills

ETA:

• Bioanalysis if you don't have it on another toon for cheaper leveling of Biochem

Also, R-2 mods/armoring/hilts/barrel/enhancement are mostly BiS until you are trying to squeeze that last bit of BiS without wasting stats else where. Then you might look at some others for the last one or two pieces.

For DPS and heals, that’s just plain Lethal 80R-2 mods and versatile armot, not AR/BR etc.

Same 80R-2 for DPS/heals enhancements. Nimble for alacrity, adapt for crit, initiative for accuracy.

I basically keep any 80R-x items because you can’t always get enough 80R-2.

The best ear/implants are the Sha’tek. The rest aren’t as good

If you are not going to craft, I suggest you take Archeology, Scavenging, and Slicing. You can have all 3 at the same time, and they help with short cuts in Flashpoints. Plus, Slicing is good for gathering credits and the others for general gathering of mats to sell or use later.

In order to use the reusable med-packs, you need to have Biochem at 600 or 700. But you don't need to level the others (Archeology, Scavenging, Slicing) at all, to use them in Flashpoints.

Edited by JediQuaker

Thank you everyone who contributed. I think I shall pass on running Hammer Station until my brain dissolves out of my ears though.

I have a full suite of crafters, which is I guess why I wanted the info, I can now go away and craft "the right number of the right things" to get the "right proportions" which isn't always possible with random drops, though I'm sure the comments for non crafters will be useful to other players in a similar position.

Between you all you've given me the exact information I was looking for and some other tips besides, so for answering the OP, not going on a tangent and all being polite, you all officially win at "Internet".

Edited by Tromador

Also, R-2 mods/armoring/hilts/barrel/enhancement are mostly BiS until you are trying to squeeze that last bit of BiS without wasting stats else where. Then you might look at some others for the last one or two pieces.

For DPS and heals, that’s just plain Lethal 80R-2 mods and versatile armot, not AR/BR etc.

Same 80R-2 for DPS/heals enhancements. Nimble for alacrity, adapt for crit, initiative for accuracy.

I basically keep any 80R-x items because you can’t always get enough 80R-2.

The best ear/implants are the Sha’tek. The rest aren’t as good

Armoring/Hilts/Barrels actually top out at r-11, with 9-13 in top range for most total stats

Mods Top out at unlettered 5, with 3,2,9,8,7,6,4,1 rounding out the top stats list (in orber, best first)

Enhamcements top out at R 1-10, in efficient, savant, and proficient, but the 0/1 versions of adept nimble and initiative are right behind them

the highest tertiary stats for ears/implants is usually on Mantellian, which comes in two (identically labeled) versions... one at 433, the other at 441 (which trade the incresead tertiary stat for up to 20pts of other stats), otherwise the Sha'tek at 431

but it's simpler to just say "add up the total", or "take the one with the highest tertiary stat"

Faster running red reaper on a stealth.

Average 10 mins doing solo on vet. 13 mins solo on Master.

Running it in two man is even faster. Best MM so far on two sins is 7mins

You can comfortably do 5-6 in an hour.

How do you do those runs so fast? I'm not able to get them done so quickly. The stealthing alone between bosses takes some 10 minutes for me. :eek:

the highest tertiary stats for ears/implants is usually on Mantellian, which comes in two (identically labeled) versions... one at 433, the other at 441 (which trade the incresead tertiary stat for up to 20pts of other stats), otherwise the Sha'tek at 431"

I use Mantellian 441 accuracy ear and implants (with cheap 95 accuracy augments) which take me to 110.04% accuracy. Nice an convenient to have the PVE accuracy requirement all satisfied in those three pieces. When I PVP I simply swap those out for Crit ear/implants, or swap to alactrity pieces for healing.

I have a full suite of crafters, which is I guess why I wanted the info, I can now go away and craft "the right number of the right things" to get the "right proportions" which isn't always possible with random drops

Ah, hahahahaha, he thinks he's going to craft 306's. Obviously this poor guy doesn't yet realise what a Charlie Foxtrot crafting has become.

I have a full suite of crafters, which is I guess why I wanted the info, I can now go away and craft "the right number of the right things" to get the "right proportions" which isn't always possible with random drops, though I'm sure the comments for non crafters will be useful to other players in a similar position.

I also have a full suite of crafters, but I would recommend you don't bother to craft those items. The only things I craft these days are augment slots, augments, and dyes (and occasionally some older armor pieces I like the look of).

I find that:

1. The newer "Onslaught" crafted items are not any better than the dropped, rewarded, or bought items.

2. The crafted items are very expensive to craft.

3. The schematics for higher level (306 level) crafted items are also very hard to get - mostly by RE'ing expensive stuff.

4. Once you get any one character to iRating 306, you can use that character to get boatloads of mods, armor, implants, etc, to pass on to other alts. You don't have to run HS over and over (unless you want to). Doing any Flashpoint (MM is better) and/or other Onslaught content like dailies and heroics, will get you lots of stuff. You can also buy pieces with Tech Fragments.

Also, unless you are doing high-end 16-man OPs or ranked PvP, you don't need the "exact right item" for the "exact right slot". You can easily mix & match pieces to get nearly as good (if not simply, the same) results.

Edited by JediQuaker

[...]I have a full suite of crafters, which is I guess why I wanted the info, I can now go away and craft "the right number of the right things" to get the "right proportions" which isn't always possible with random drops, though I'm sure the comments for non crafters will be useful to other players in a similar position.[...].

Dude, no... don't even try.... it costs more to craft 286 mods and armor pieces than it does even augments.... literally takes more than a weeks worth of conquest mats to make one piece.... it just gets worse from there.

and yes, it IS insane, AND stupid.

you said you do FP's so you'll get plenty of gear that way, and better too.