Concessions you are willing to make to get more playable races?

Darth_Vainous

Just wondering if you guys would be willing to give up something playable races normally get in order to get more playable races?

Here's what I'd be willing to give up.

1. Romances (Least followed part of the story for me so wouldn't miss it)

2. Starter and faction planet quests (Korriban, Tython, Dromund Kaas, and Coruscant)

3. Starting at level 1 (Since they would be skipping starter/faction planets they can start at 20)

4. Full armor races (Though theses races have been shot down as playable they require little armor - Jawas and Wookies. All they would have to do is add a combat multiplier to make up for each missing piece of armor.)

5. Access to all 8 classes (I'd take a new race if they couldn't be Jedi/Sith or any gun carrying class)

6. Companion conversations (I'd give up talking to my companions for more races any day of the week)

With all the races in the Star Wars galaxy we could have so many races but I know they take up resources. I'd give up everything mentioned above for more races, more often.

Given that I play mainly story content and casual grind, I don't think I'd be interested in playing new races given any of those changes.

Really though, I can't see playing any race that don't speak basic english as at all interesting. You're basically left with the same base combat structure without any cinematic personality and then what's the point of having a selection of races?

Edited by JuventusAndFCK
Thought of more to write

Personally, I don't care about additional races (actually, species). But, in answer to your question(s), if they were to add a new race (beyond Nautolan):

1. "Romance" in SWTOR is rather lame anyway. Unless they were to expand romance to be something other than a brief kiss, they could drop romance altogether - new race or not. But I think many people would definitely want romance options.

2 & 3. I'd want to be able to start at level 1 on a starter planet.

4. It would have to be full armor.

5. It might depend upon the race.

6. I wouldn't miss companion conversations.

But, for me, I'm not really interested in more species, it seems. I've made characters of all available species, except Purebred Sith (which is just toooo ugly for me). But it turns out that all my main characters and any alts I've made in the last year or so, have been humans. In the long run, other species don't seem to "click" with me, and I just end up doing humans.

I doubt that I will bother to make a Nautolan.

Edited by JediQuaker

Given that I play mainly story content and casual grind, I don't think I'd be interested in playing new races given any of those changes.

Really though, I can't see playing any race that don't speak basic english as at all interesting. You're basically left with the same base combat structure without any cinematic personality and then what's the point of having a selection of races?

I didn't include non-basic races I'm just talking about English speaking races the Jawas and Wookies were an example for armor. But I would play a Jawa in a heart beat cause they got a crap ton of personality. And I do mainly story but only story I see giving up is the companion stuff which personally I don't mess with after I've done it once so doesn't bother me.

If the majority of players think like you and find the companion stuff important then that would explain why we don't get more races more often but that's not a bad thing. Look at WoW and their Allied Races. Most players WANT starting areas, myself included.

Thanks for your input all the same. Much appreciated.

Edited by Darth_Vainous

Personally, I don't care about additional races (actually, species). But, in answer to your question(s), if they were to add a new race (beyond Nautolan):

1. "Romance" in SWTOR is rather lame anyway. Unless they were to expand romance to be something other than a brief kiss, they could drop romance altogether - new race or not. But I think many people would definitely want romance options.

2 & 3. I'd want to be able to start at level 1 on a starter planet.

4. It would have to be full armor.

5. It might depend upon the race.

6. I wouldn't miss companion conversations.

But, for me, I'm not really interested in more species, it seems. I've made characters of all available species, except Purebred Sith (which is just toooo ugly for me). But it turns out that all my main characters and any alts I've made in the last year or so, have been humans. In the long run, other species don't seem to "click" with me, and I just end up doing humans.

I doubt that I will bother to make a Nautolan.

I'm of the opposite. I prefer non-human races. I am a human so don't want to play a human in a game. Sith Pureblood are my favorite race, lol. Only thing I don't like is that too many of the class voices sound human and so it's hard to make anything but humans for those classes. And the Nautolan seem very cool to me.

Too each their own. Thanks for you reply. Much appreciated.

Though theses races have been shot down as playable they require little armor - Jawas and Wookies. All they would have to do is add a combat multiplier to make up for each missing piece of armor.

Neither Wookiees nor Jawas are usable for *other* reasons: Jawas are too small, and Wookiees are too tall. The question of not having visible armour slots is (almost) neither here nor there. And besides, the "correct" approach to their armour is to simply do what they did for helmets on player-character Togruta: make them invisible.(1)

EDIT: I should have added a note about *why* it's the correct approach: taking away armour slots takes away or reduces the player's ability to do things like min/maxing stat values because there aren't as many slots that you can put variable things in.

(1) Clearly it *can* be done: back in the day, when companions wore stat-bearing armour, Qyzen Fess wore gloves, boots and a helmet even though they were never visible. (This also affected Xalek's gloves and helmet; Tanno Vik's helmet; Yuun's gloves and helmet; everything used by the droid companions, Treek, Blizz, Broonmark and Bowdaar; and Guss Tuno's helmet and gloves.)

Edited by SteveTheCynic

Concessions i'd willing to make to get more playable races?

Well none of the ones proposed here. I'd take more romance content and more interactions with my companions over Jawas or Wookiies or any other new species (even if i'm quite happy we're getting Nautolans).

I'm happy to get more species, but not at the expense of what is for me one of the most important part of the game (companion interactions and romances), especially when most of the time you have to buy them anyways.

TBH I really don't care about new races. I don't even care about the Nautolans and don't intend to play one. My characters have companions of lots of different races and that's enough for me.

If they had the time and funds to spend on improving cosmetic aspects of the game I would prefer it if they gave us more options for existing races. More tattoos, jewelry and hairstyles for everyone, more skin and eye colors for Twi'leks, the ability to add cybernetics and implants to races other than "cyborg."

The way the dialogue is set up I think some races in some classes would be too much of a stretch. Like it would be weird playing a Wookiee Consular and having to listen to Qyzen Fess talk about how he skins Wookiees and uses their pelts as trophies. The companion interactions are so important to the class stories (and in some cases you need the companions for the story to continue) that I don't think it would work to take them away. You could also restrict new races to certain classes but I am sure people would complain about that.

As for romances, the devs only bothered to give my demographic one full romance and it's not in the class story so most of my characters have nothing to do there anyway but romances mean a lot to a lot of players.

I think it would be too much trouble for too little return and I'd rather see them focus on something else.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I'd honestly rather have another class for each faction.

or even a hutt faction story intertwined with the existing first three chapters.

Another player species using the same stories/classes just doesn't interest me all that much.

I'd honestly rather have another class for each faction.

or even a hutt faction story intertwined with the existing first three chapters.

Another player species using the same stories/classes just doesn't interest me all that much.

NAILED IT !! ..

I'd rather have another class as well.

EDIT: let me see now … it took a while to dig it up! AH HA ! Found it !! (yes it is another shameless plug for something I have suggested !) :D

http://http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=964179&highlight=black+ops

As for some of the concessions:

1. Romance is pretty much dead any ways in SWTOR... so just finish that and be done with it !

2. Hmmm frankly there are so many areas that are hurting for a little TLC … that's it's kind of hard to place anything else on the chopping block !

Edited by OlBuzzard

Zero concessions.

I don’t understand why that’s even something player’s would consider doing. If Bioware want to add another race, that’s cool, but nothing should be taken from the game and it shouldn’t be a question on wether you get less content vs a new race.

I could see them adding a new class and less content while they implement that, but I don’t know how many people would prefer less content vs a new class or even if that would be the best way to do it.

In other MMOs (I’ll use WoW as an example), they’ve actually added story and other content to explain the addition of new races or classes. If Bioware intended to add another class, that is what I would hope for,

The concession I'd make is having a complete species if it meant more appearance options. So, instead of releasing a complete Zelton species they release a Zeltron appearance pack that would have skin colour options, hair styles, heads, eyes, etc. appropriate for a Zeltron. Same thing for Echani and a few of the other near human species; e.g., Arkanian Offshoot heads with the ears and Kiffar heads with tatoos. While the character would technically still be human it would offer a little more variety in our appearance and be great for RP.

I would not make any concessions like those listed because it’s clear they can add species to the game without compromising their ability to go through the content.

Everyone remember Nik, the nautolan who lost his girl in the nightclubs of coruscant? He laments that coruscant security doesn’t help him find her because he’s non human. If the player is also non-human there are slightly different replies to his aired grievance, compared to when the player is human. How many people think that the Devs have gone back into the quest dialogue, gotten the original voice actor, and recorded a new response if the player is also a Nautolan like Nik, for 6.0? Until the development team has all the resources they need to attend to that level of detail, then I think one new race per expansion is probably about all we’re gonna get.

I would not make any concessions like those listed because it’s clear they can add species to the game without compromising their ability to go through the content.

Everyone remember Nik, the nautolan who lost his girl in the nightclubs of coruscant? He laments that coruscant security doesn’t help him find her because he’s non human. If the player is also non-human there are slightly different replies to his aired grievance, compared to when the player is human. How many people think that the Devs have gone back into the quest dialogue, gotten the original voice actor, and recorded a new response if the player is also a Nautolan like Nik, for 6.0? Until the development team has all the resources they need to attend to that level of detail, then I think one new race per expansion is probably about all we’re gonna get.

The really significant lines regarding Nautolans don't happen when you're talking to Nik the Whiner.

KotFE Chapter VII (The Lady of Sorrows): you meet up with the Exalted, and just as all heck is about to break loose, Thea calls him. Thea is a Nautolan, and whichever of Koth or Senya you brought will say something:

Koth: I've seen one like that before ... back in your part of the galaxy.

Senya: I've never seen a species like that before.

Koth's line can be read as him yanking your chain (it's a bit of a stretch, but it's possible), but Senya's line is just blatantly stupid if the player character is also a Nautolan. (She's being "Ruthless Enforcer Senya" at this point, so it's ever so slightly out of character for her to be yanking your chain.)

Nik's lines (or more precisely the player's potential lines) are an exploration mission (?side mission?) that I'd bet that most people just sail straight past these days, but the line about Thea is main-line all-classes-all-factions story.

But yes, if they apply enough attention to detail to add a special line when talking to Nik, they've gone above and beyond.

I would love to have a complete species I just don't think it will happen for something like Zeltron, Echani, or Kiffar, which is why I'd accept an appearance pack with options that allowed us to create a character that looks like one of those.

The dialogue with Nik is a simple enough matter. They recorded one line for humans and cyborgs and one line for all others. Then it doesn't matter what species is added they always have a non-human option. We see this in a few places in the game. I think Steve is right. The more telling line of dialogue will come later when you meet the Order of Z, and I think we're going to have another instance like when our Cathar character is asked if they know what a Cathar is. They're not going to go back and record new lines of dialogue for old content. Because I know that, and already have to rewrite some of their dialogue to fit context (and head canon), I'm okay with them just adding an appearance pack for some of the near-human species.

YES! I had forgotten about the exchange in the Lady of Sorrows chapter. That’s going to seem very awkward.

Still, the general point is that there is a level of attention to detail that they still do not achieve even now when new species can play the entire content. So I wouldn’t concede anything just to get a new species, at least nothing suggested by the OP.

After seeing the Nautolans in character creation, i would only accept some compromises if BW can make the new species as good looking/well designed as the npc's ingame. Since i doubt they can do that, what compromisses i would accept is a moot point.

None of that matters, put a disclaimer pop up on the races that wont make sense and give us all the races.

People don't read the disclaimers in pop-ups. There are people who've come on these forums and claimed that they accidentally started Jedi Under Siege, where the disclaimer / warning is more than just a pop-up, so I have no confidence that these pop-ups would be worth anything.

Agreed. First thing I'd do with a new species (because we're really talking species here, not races) is start a consular sage level 1 on Tython and grow from there. If I wanted to play one of my hundred-odd level 70's, I'd hop on one of those and change the species using the multicombatulatortransmogrification thingy in my stronghold, whatever that thing is. Appearance designer or whatever.

I would rather they go back and retroactively add reactivity where applicable to the existing races rather than making new ones. For example on Ord Mantell and in conversations with Aric Jorgan when playing a Cathar, the part on Coruscant in the Trooper storyline where everyone is flipping out about secret cyborgs ("half machine freaks") and there's no comment if your Trooper is a cyborg, etc...The times your species is noted and recognized, I absolutely love and I really wish there had been more in general T_T

None cause I don't need nor want new playable races. Just want them to flesh out the existing races with more options.

OMG this! Can we finally get more than 3 faces per gender for Twi'leks and one per gender for Sith Purebloods after all these years? T_T

Edited by Nefla