Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

kodrac
08.19.2019 , 10:27 AM | #21
Oh it's time for a purge alright, but not necessarily of names...
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
I’d find it hard to believe this sort of thing goes on in the preferential treatment forum.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jdast View Post
or Kodrac, for saying everything I want to say, but he takes one for team and gets a warning.

Mubrak
08.19.2019 , 10:51 AM | #22
When I create a new char, I often visit baby-name sites for inspiration (and get diaper ads in the following weeks )

I'm quite picky (no more than 3 syllables, no funny chars, and not too weird looking to modern eyes, so no good old anglo-saxon names like Cyneţryţ.) and still find names, although, admittedly, it does takes longer these days.

Careful when you demand a name-purge, it might happen in a few months, right when you take a break...
6.0: Do not add that gaudy flashing icon above every vendor's head without an option to turn it off.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

CrazyScruffy
08.19.2019 , 10:54 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by merovejec View Post
About that Name purge, it wasnt really a name purge it was the issue with the server merges. What they did was merge servers and with that you would have multiple toons with the same name. So they actually didnt do a name purge but forced many people to rename and made it difficult for them since there were suddenly many players on the same server with same name. The good thing was that, sure, if there was a toon with same name as your toon and that toon wasnt played at all you got to keep your toons name cause of that.
There was a small name purge during the merge. Quoted in color below

It is our intent that this process will have very little impact on you or your account. Since Character names must be unique on a server, it is possible that when we create the new United Forces servers, you may need to rename your character. As part of the process of uniting the galaxy, we will communicate a specific set of rules to govern the prospective scenario where two names collide:

Premium players (Subscribers) will have priority over Free-to-Play and Preferred Status players.
Highly played characters will have priority over characters with less play time.
To limit the challenge of duplicated names we will proactively remove names from characters that have not been played within the past 90-days or more and which are below Level 10. We know your character’s name is very important to you and so we are taking steps to ensure that you can hang on to the names you love to the greatest extent possible!

If there is going to be another one I feel like they would need to be even stricter than the last time

DarkTergon
08.19.2019 , 12:20 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyScruffy View Post
There was a small name purge during the merge.

There was a name purge before the merger, not sure how long ago, but they cleared out thousands of names. I'm sure if someone has the time or the energy they could find the posts about it here somewhere
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

sharkfishman
08.19.2019 , 01:17 PM | #25
I have never had naming problems (never use weird characters either), even before we were able to use spaces. Many people who can't come up with names need to get more creative.

There is no guarantee a name purge would free up the names the OP wants whatsoever. There is also no guarantee that during such a purge, other active players would claim those names first. It's a question of first come, first serve. Those who came first were served first.

Also, I might add that had I come back after a few years and discovered all of my toons' names were changed (a few of mine were following the server merge, but thanks to the new spaces they were easy to rename identically with an additional name), I would be likely to simply forget about playing... so there's that negative aspect as well.

If you want to be Duck, you're probably out of luck. If you want to be Cold Duck, you may have a shot. Red, black, blue, green and other basic color names are hard to score, but I did get a few smart ones lately. It's part of the fun of making alts.

P.S. - One thing I do wish we had was some kind of name directory tool. It would be nice to know before starting character creation if the desired name is available or not.
For my friends, click my referral link for awesome free stuff.
For my enemies, click it just to spite me.

"Don't get cocky."

CrazyScruffy
08.19.2019 , 01:34 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
There was a name purge before the merger, not sure how long ago, but they cleared out thousands of names. I'm sure if someone has the time or the energy they could find the posts about it here somewhere
the purge came during the merge

aerockyul
08.19.2019 , 01:38 PM | #27
There are still names in the random name generator available in the character select screen. I made a new alt just a couple weeks ago and got a great name from it that I didn't even have to adjust.
I like to use that more often than not because the names actually don't look too far off from the random star wars name generator websites for each species (it's following the same rules, usually). Then I'll adjust by adding a letter or two that won't change the pronunciation at all. Only Chiss have the apostrophe as far as using punctuation, otherwise I avoid that.
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Selauna, Maria Brink, Wrathiva
Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Leczee Eko'va, Misphire
Kharaava, Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Referrals

Pirana
08.19.2019 , 02:13 PM | #28
I rarely have a hard time finding a name, but there have been a few times when I sit in front of the screen trying to think of something decent, I might use a name(s) site to find something, or I'll use the name generator and alter a letter or two to find something I like, and that sometimes works. What I find that works now is I use a certain genre and those names are hardly ever taken.

What should have happened and probably still needs to happen is a name purge every year or two, notably the people that haven't logged in in over a year, and never once subscribed when they did play. Those are typically people that try the game out and decide that it's not for them and move on. Those names should be purged.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination

DarkTergon
08.19.2019 , 02:51 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyScruffy View Post
the purge came during the merge

Maybe a purge happened then, but there was definately one before the last merge, a good bit before it.
No Idea if people use these, but if so, here's my referral link
http://www.swtor.com/r/jFXFFQ

SteveTheCynic
08.19.2019 , 03:20 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkTergon View Post
Maybe a purge happened then, but there was definately one before the last merge, a good bit before it.
A very long while back, 2013 or maybe very early in 2014.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.