Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Naming and renaming characters has become an impossible task.

MadDutchman
08.18.2019 , 05:28 PM | #11
Since they allowed spaces, I've never had issues with names.

I just use the random name generator until I find something i like. If it's taken, I try adding a "'" somewhere if it makes sense. if not, or it's still taken, i just add my legacy name to it separated by a space. My legacy name is only 3 characters long and even then, never had a collision at this point.

Personally, I could do without the complaining that comes with name purges. Not worth it.
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

TrixxieTriss
08.18.2019 , 05:46 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
You are 100% accurate. They need to name purge on a regular basis. It's not cool to ask random strangers to know you as akdjfiogniounreuiobvw because that was the only name you could find.
And surprisingly or maybe not, names like “akdjfiogniounreuiobvw” are against the naming rules of swtor.

MorseGod
08.18.2019 , 06:16 PM | #13
This is a non-issue. Stop trying to name all your characters some variant of Anakin Skywalker. Things will be fine.

Engage your brain to create a name instead of finding a name.
Guildmaster, Help (Star Forge)
Join us on Discord!
Was this post helpful? Please click my referral link.

Padabiene
08.19.2019 , 01:46 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by annabethchase View Post
Those aren't English names, they are meaningless streams of letters. They do not meet the definition of a name: "a word or phrase that constitutes the distinctive designation of a person or thing".
Have you ever heard of Mitth’raw’nuruodo? Or in short, Grand Admiral Thrawn? Steve's examples are perfectly valid for Star Wars, especially if the character is Chiss.
What do we do, panic, freak? I usually panic but I'm happy to freak.

DarkTergon
08.19.2019 , 02:22 AM | #15
I've rarely had a problem with naming, if it's a name that might be popular, and alt letter nearly always works. Another thing i do is use the random name generator, when I find a name I like, I copy it, then use the name generator to find another, then depending on the names, I put the copied one in front or back, which ever sounds better. This way I've a unique name, and it never takes more than a couple of mins.

merovejec
08.19.2019 , 02:31 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRogue View Post
First, they just did a name purge like 2yrs ago, I think it was. Correct me if I'm wrong someone, though.
About that Name purge, it wasnt really a name purge it was the issue with the server merges. What they did was merge servers and with that you would have multiple toons with the same name. So they actually didnt do a name purge but forced many people to rename and made it difficult for them since there were suddenly many players on the same server with same name. The good thing was that, sure, if there was a toon with same name as your toon and that toon wasnt played at all you got to keep your toons name cause of that.

A name purge would actually be nice since it would really free up a lot of names as many players left the game (mainly from start of the game) and the older players have the original forms of name names (without comas or whatever).

On the otherhand, people here are right that you do have many choices now. You have the possibility to use a space between the names, comas and much more. If you have a name like John then you can make Jo'hn but still if that original John doesnt play for years, people will only see your toon, so its still unique.
Merovejec
7 days of being a sub, try it! Refferal Link
Achievements 5.10 69015

Rolodome
08.19.2019 , 02:36 AM | #17
One approach I've used a couple times is start with a name I want that can't work as a real name and then put it through an anagram generator, shift around the letters, and come up with something that sounds like something of a name.

One of them is a bit absurd in this way. I took Cipher Forty Two for an Imp Agent (42 being a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and came up with "Proofer Twitchy" from an anagram generator. Just looks like a silly name on the surface, but underneath it has a special meaning for me.

You could probably do this with real people names too. Like if you really want to be Matthew Stone for some reason, or something like that. You put Matthew Stone in an anagram generator (this is the one I've typically used: https://new.wordsmith.org/anagram/an...tone&t=500&a=n) and then you might come up with something like Tweet Monthsa or Sneath Wottem.

The other approach I will sometimes use is just stringing stuff together until it sounds vaguely like a name. Whether it's just words, or different parts of a name. Like say you want something of the feel of a Hannah, but Hannah is taken, so you could get creative with it and do something like... Hannarah. Or maybe you mix in the elements of some other aspect of the character. Maybe it's a Hannah who is a serene Jedi Consular, so you do something like Hannah + Light. Hannight. Or Halah. Hannalah (now it's sounding sort of musical with the "la").

I realize this is extra effort, but just thought I'd share some methods I use that could help people who have name issues.
Clicky referral link for freebies, read how referral works.

DeVanagloris
08.19.2019 , 02:59 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by MorseGod View Post
This is a non-issue. Stop trying to name all your characters some variant of Anakin Skywalker. Things will be fine.

Engage your brain to create a name instead of finding a name.
I never tried to name any of my characters even remotely similar to characters in the Star Wars universe. I always try to be original and name them something quite different, but even that is becoming harder and harder.

I was gonna say some names i used but i dont even know if it's against the rules. Anyway, the space between names is not something i use because i wanna display the legacy name too as a "surname" when it seems appropriate, and if i use a name with a space in it, it looks as if the toon has actually two surnames, and i dont quite like that.
This is my referral link here:
Referral link
You can get all sort of FREE STUFF!! and GOODIES!! by clicking it, no matter you are new or returning player. You also get 7 DAYS of FREE SUBSCRIPTION!!

SteveTheCynic
08.19.2019 , 05:24 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Padabiene View Post
Have you ever heard of Mitth’raw’nuruodo? Or in short, Grand Admiral Thrawn? Steve's examples are perfectly valid for Star Wars, especially if the character is Chiss.
Indeed. Yen'reerr'traa is, indeed, a Chiss.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

OddballEasyEight
08.19.2019 , 10:00 AM | #20
I agree with the OP...

I recently returned after more than 790 days of not playing this game (or even having it installed!).

And I still had all the characters I used to have, with no name changes at all...
Get a FREE character transfer and 7 FREE days of subscription, plus a bunch of other useful stuff by clicking my referral link.
Click here for my videos previewing blaster sounds.