SWTOR Unleashed (game files in RAM to improve performance)

exca

The game is a 32 bits executable. The 64 bits OS only allows you through my software to trick the game making it think it reads a harddrive while in fact it reads the RAM which is faster.

WoW and many other games are going for a 64bit version for the simple reason that any game based on XP 32bit just sucks for any computer today that is of course 64bit and has in excess of 4Gig of RAM.

These workarounds are to fix the base problem with SWTOR that is being 32bit and XP based.

I find it hard to believe that BioWare is so lacking in talent to update to today's computer technology.

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WoW and many other games are going for a 64bit version for the simple reason that any game based on XP 32bit just sucks for any computer today that is of course 64bit and has in excess of 4Gig of RAM.

These workarounds are to fix the base problem with SWTOR that is being 32bit and XP based.

I find it hard to believe that BioWare is so lacking in talent to update to today's computer technology.

I agree, it should be a 64bits executable able to fill all the free RAM.

Just wanted to say thanks! Had 8 gigs of ram doing nothing, and now they are helping increase performance. I'm not getting the results reported by others, but the difference is very noticeable (like from 15 fps on fleet to ~28 fps). Be warned it will take much longer to load the launcher with this; I assume it has to build the ram drive each time. Worth it though if you're planning on playing a few hours.

Just wanted to say thanks! Had 8 gigs of ram doing nothing, and now they are helping increase performance. I'm not getting the results reported by others, but the difference is very noticeable (like from 15 fps on fleet to ~28 fps). Be warned it will take much longer to load the launcher with this; I assume it has to build the ram drive each time. Worth it though if you're planning on playing a few hours.

Of course, as you guessed, when you press "start unleashed" it creates the RAM drive (takes 1s) then copies files from your hard drive into RAM (which takes the time for your hard drive to read all the data which can be quite long, from a few seconds with a SSD to more than a minute with a slow hard drive). But if you quit and restart the game without rebooting, it will be instant since the RAM drive isn't remove when you quit the game.

This is better than any addon the game could ever have. It literally enhances the performance, you need no FPS meters to see it, just playing the first 10 seconds will be enough to notice the considerable difference. I still need to see what combination in the settings will work best for me, but that's details.

Please note that you should pay attention to Exca's advice and not overburden your RAM. Think of what else you got running that needs RAM (that browser with 65 open tabs for example). Check in Task Manager how much RAM stuff consumes and turn off what you won't need during playing.

It's another question that it shouldn't be players job to allow a modern game to make use of modern computers.

Edited by Darth_Haderach

Ok i got home last night. Tried it, loved it. And in only about 10-20 minutes! That's including the .NET software. There isn't much to set up. This program really does it all. FPS increase was certainly noticeable. But aside from that, there are little things like when I hop on a speeder to go, I noticed some lag in the graphic between standing and my speeder appearing and me actually sitting on it (med graphics). That is gone now (highest graphics). It's now instant like it should be. The game is a lot more fluid. Pvp is much more enjoyable. I love the setup on how you can just load certain files. I load all the defaults but I think I am also going to load Corelia files in there for my black hole dailies :) 12gig of ram so it's good play around with it . Thank OP.. well done :D Edited by xkellyx

Are you saying my work is some kind of bull****? I feel offended.

No - lol. I love your work to be quite honest - to me you injected some life into this game for me and for that I am truly thankful.

What I meant by the bull **** comment was that do you think it is bull **** that Bioware does not acknowledge your awesomeness and that it is bull **** that a consumer of their game has to do their work for them.

Thanks OP, altho my rig is already running on 2x Vertex 4 in raid 0 setup (fyi it's *********** fast booting W7 in 5.7 seconds).

Since I got 16GB in my rig I decided to give SWTOR Unleashed a try. It's a slight (about 1 to 3 seconds off loading time into fleet and WZs) improvement. But booting the game to launcher is slower (I am assuming it takes time to move the files from my SSD to the RAM Drive).

Took me less than 20 minutes to setup with the instruction in the 1st post. Impressive improvement considering with the current consumer product the only thing that loads faster than 2 SSDs in raid 0 are 3 or more SSDs in raid 0.

I support the OP and if you have a decent PC you should definitely give this a shot. Even if you already run the game on SSD, you will still see an improvement. I can only imaging a greater improvement can be achieved if you are still using traditional mechanical drive.

Thanks again OP.

I don't care about a few seconds load time. I just have one question (and don't feel like reading all the pages so it might have been asked and answered).

Does this make Corellia load faster? I mean there's plus and minus to the load time there. It's the one planet I can land on that gives me enough time to go make a sandwich, eat it, and get back to still see the spinning blue wheel then load up. And I can make some good sandwiches so that may be a good thing.

Edited by Jacen_Starsolo

I don't care about a few seconds load time. I just have one question (and don't feel like reading all the pages so it might have been asked and answered).

Does this make Corellia load faster? I mean there's plus and minus to the load time there. It's the one planet I can land on that gives me enough time to go make a sandwich, eat it, and get back to still see the spinning blue wheel then load up. And I can make some good sandwiches so that may be a good thing.

I think that if you add the corellia asset to the ram drive you can speed the loading time a little. But this isn't the main goal of SWTOR Unleashed though, just a side effect :)

Some files have been renamed in 1.4, i.e. swtor_main_gfx_1.tor is now swtor_main_gfx_assets_1.tor

Easy enough fix.

Put this code in your SwtorUnleashed.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<Settings xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<AddDiskCacheArena>true</AddDiskCacheArena>

<AddExtraSpace>true</AddExtraSpace>

<AddLocalApp>true</AddLocalApp>

<AddPTS>false</AddPTS>

<ComputerName>REUBEN-PC</ComputerName>

<GameDirectory>C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic</GameDirectory>

<IsSetup>false</IsSetup>

<LocalAppDirectory>C:\Users\Reuben\AppData\Local</LocalAppDirectory>

<Log>false</Log>

<RamDriveDevice>0</RamDriveDevice>

<RamDriveLetter>90</RamDriveLetter>

<RamDriveSize>6206</RamDriveSize>

<AssetFileNames>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_cape_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_chest_tight_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_hand_1</string>

<string>swtor_main_art_dynamic_head_1</string>