Armormech Crafting Guide

TheLastWolfman

Hi all,

This guide is intended to help all players who have chosen the Armormech crafting skill. Please if you find anything in this guide that is incorrect or inconsistent with your own experience, then post and I shall investigate and update.

Huge thanks to Slaign and all those who have contributed to the RE thread from which most of our wealth of knowledge on this subject comes from and from whom I have taken the basis for this thread.

For a full guide to all things Reverse Engineering please see

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866

Armormech Crafting Guide

Armormech is a crew skill that allows you to create Medium and Heavy Armour for the non force users - Bounty Hunter/Trooper & Imperial Agent/Smuggler.

Primary Stats on Crafted Heavy Armour are:

Aim

Endurance

Primary Stats on Crafted Medium Armour are:

Cunning

Endurance

Secondary Stats (Starting around Level 16 Schematics)

Power

Critical Rating

Surge Rating

Accuracy Rating

Absorption Rating

NB This list is not yet complete

Armormech has 2 gathering skills attached to it

Underworld Trading - Underworld Metals

Scavenging - Scavenged metals, compounds and fluxes.

Please read these threads for more details

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=530

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015

Schematics for Armour come from 2 main places

Purchased from a trainer

Schematics come in pairs for each item type at set item level intervals. For example you can purchase schematics for 2 Heavy Belts for levels 9, 13, 17, 25, etc. and 2 Heavy Boots for 9, 16, 21 etc.

The Schematics follow a regular naming convention so for each item type you will see the same names repeating

Heavy Power

Tactical Assault

Heavy Military

Hardened Assault

etc.

There does not appear to be any logic that links the name to the stats on the item for example

Heavy Power Belt +15 Aim +10 Endurance

Heavy Power Gauntlets +19 Aim +33 Endurance

So there is no advantage to having a matched set of Heavy Power gear as it would average out your Aim and Endurance stats rather than enhancing your primary

Mission and Game drops

Mission and game drop schematics are better in terms of Stats than Trainer bought schematics for the same (or slightly higher) character level.

For example

Heavy Mobile Greaves (Lvl 22)

+23 Aim

+19 Endurance

+9 Critical

307/54 Armour

RD-13B Striker Greaves (Lvl 20)

+24 Aim

+20 Endurance

+10 Critical

321/56 Armour

Handy Trick when Purchasing Schematics

This question seems to come up a lot, so instead of posting the same response each week I thought I would add this here.

"When buying schematics from the GTN I cannot see whether I know them already"

Actually there is a way, it isn't all that brilliant, but does work.

Step 1. You need to open your crew skill window and drag the icon for your crafting skill to a toolbar. (To be clear, one of the three small icons listed at the top, NOT the individual crewmembers larger icons)

Step 2. Open the GTN

Step 2. Close your inventory

Step 4. select the crafting skill from the toolbar.

This will allow both the crafting and GTN windows to be open at the same time.

The downside, is that (at least on my system), the GTN window overlays the crafting window and obscures the start of the schematic name. You can however still scroll down and click on the names to see them in the top right of the crafting window. Some judiscious use of the search features in the crafting window can also help a lot.

Not an elegant solution, but I hope it assists a little.

Reverse Engineering

The key to success with Armormech is in the Reverse Engineering (RE) mechanic. Each time you RE an item you have created from a schematic, there is a % chance to learn a new more advanced schematic

Each schematic has 2 tiers of advancement (prefix) possible

Tier 1 prefix upgrades

There are 3 Tier 1 Prefixes, each of which Adds an additional stat boost or increases an existing stat on the item

Critical - Adds a Critical Rating boost

Redoubt - Adds a Defense Rating boost

Overkill - Adds a Power boost

All Tier 1 prefix upgrades boost the Armour values of the item by the same amount

Example

Heavy Mobile Boots

+22 Aim

+18 Endurance

+9 Critical Rating

184/52 Armour

After creating a set of boots from this schematic, the RE gives a chance to learn

Critical Heavy Mobile Boots

+22 Aim

+18 Endurance

+19 Critical Rating

218/60 Armour

Tier 2 prefix upgrades

For each of the 3 Tier 1 prefixes there are 5 Tier 2 Prefixes that can be made, each of which adds an additional stat.

There are 5 Stats that can be added:

Presence

Shield

Accuracy

Surge

Alacrity

The table below shows how the Tiers relate

------------------Critical-------------Redoubt-------Overkill

Presence--------Leadership--------General-------Commander

Shield-----------Tempest-----------Veracity-------Rampart

Accuracy--------Fervor------------Exactitude-----Hawkeye

Surge-----------Endowment------Anti-Armour-----Expert

Alacrity---------Supremacy----------????---------Vehemence

All Tier 2 prefix upgrades boost the Armour values of the item by the same amount

Adding a Tier 2 prefix improves the Tier 1 prefix stat as well

A Tier 2 prefix item also has a (Superior) Tag added to it

Using our Previous example

After creating a set of Critical Heavy Mobile Boots, the RE gives a chance to learn

Tempest Heavy Mobile Boots (Superior)

+22 Aim

+18 Endurance

+21 Critical Rating

+12 Shield Rating

244/64 Armour

NB Tier 1 & 2 prefix schematics do not alter the Item level in any way. If the base schematic is a level 22 item then the schematic with a Tier 2 prefix will also be level 22

IMHO, schematics with the Tier 2 Prefixes provide some seriously good pieces of armour at level, easily as good as if not better than in game drops, and comparable to modded armour (at that level).

A note on terminology

Please note that the word Tier is used in 2 different ways on these forums.

Slaign's Reverse Engineering Guide uses "Tier 1" and "Tier 2" to refer to the prefixes (as I have done above). Others use "Tier 1 - 3" to refer to the three levels of schematics.

Base Schematic No Prefix (1 per item) - Tier 1 Schematic - Tier 1 Item

Schematic with Tier 1 Prefix (3 per item) - Tier 2 Schematic - Tier 2 item

Schematic with Tier 2 Prefix (15/14 per item) - Tier 3 Schematic - Tier 3 item

To avoid confusion I will only use the word Tier to refer to the prefixes and will always use phrasing like "Item with tier 1 prefix".

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866

Augment Slot

The other mechanic in Armormech crafting is the chance to roll a "crit" when creating an item. When you craft an item there is a small % chance of creating an Augmented version of the item. What this does is add an additional mod slot to the item to allow the installation of Augments. Augmentable items have a (Exceptional), (Advanced), (Mastercraft) tags added

For example

Heavy Mobile Boots (Exceptional)

+22 Aim

+18 Endurance

+9 Critical Rating

184/52 Armour

Augment - Open

NB: There seems to be some evidence that these tags are not always consistent, I shall add more info as it becomes available.

Long Term Crafting Goals

In an ideal world, for every base template you receive you would do the following

Craft the basic Item

RE for a chance of a schematic with Tier 1 prefix

Repeat until you have all 3 Schematics

Craft the items

RE for a chance of a schematic with Tier 2 prefix

Repeat until you have all 15 Schematics

When an item is required, craft for a chance of a crit

If no crit RE for materials and repeat

Successful Tier 2 prefix item with Augment slot

In practice, with 100's of schematics this is unlikely to be practicle unless you have 100's of gatherers feeding you materials. Also the crafting time alone would be horrendous.

However targetting specific items for youself or your freinds/guildies/global market is possible.

So if you have a requirement for

Level 20 - 22 Boots (Heavy Armour)

Prime stat: Endurance

Secondary Stats: Defense & Shield

You know you need to make

Veracity Hardened Assualt Boots

If you don't have the schematic it is an easy target as you can RE the basic schematic until you get the Redoubt version. Then RE the Redoubt version until you get the Veracity. Then you just need to keep crafting the Veracity until you get a crit roll and add the Augment slot (assuming this is possible). Job done

Now before people start thinking cool, I'll get my order in to my freind/guildie now, there are a couple of caveats

All Armormechs will want to get their crafting skill as high as possible. Crafting lower level items doesn't improve your crafting skill, so spending time working on something below level is a non rewarding time sink.

Crafting materials are expensive. Many can only be gotten from Underworld Trading missions and as such are rare. For example Alusteel (Grade 2 material) is on sale in the Trading House for (prices may vary) 500 credits for 1. Level 20+ schematics often require 4-8 of these a go.

I have yet to fully research how many times you would need to craft to get a specific Tier 2 item with an augment slot but my best finger in the air would be

Assuming successful RE every 5 times (20%)

Assuming Crit roll is (5%)

1 -15 basics to get the required Tier 1 schematic

1 - 25 Tier 1's to get the required Tier 2 schematic

1 - 20 Tier 2's to get the augment slot

Total 3 - 60 avg 32 tries

32 crafts x 4 Alusteel = 128 Alusteel

Current cost 128 x 500 = 64,000 credits (just for the Alusteel component).

Summary

Personally, by concentrating on Heavy Armour, I have managed to keep my Bounty Hunter well supplied with good armour as I have levelled up. I have also managed to supply a few guildies with useful gear along the way. There is some disagreement on whether Crafted or Modable is the best way to go, at this time I don't know. I guess it's a personal choice and when we are all at the peak of our craft (and level) we shall see if the Crafted is worthwhile.

Regards

Wolf

Edited by TheLastWolfman
Updated with section on buying scematics

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great guide! Most of it can be applied to Synthweave and Armstech too!

The eternal question, whether straight up crafted or custom gear with mods is the way to go, should be seen in perspective to crafting costs as well. At least while leveling. Imagine you have a full set of custom gear and want to reach the same amount of stats offered by an artifact tier 2 item. You not only need a different professions for that (cybertech/artifice), but also a much greater amount of artifact crafting material. I'm armstech, and I have gotten up to lvl40 on my main character. I managed to RE quite a few prototype (blue) craftables into artifact quality schematics. And here is the catch.

You only need 2 of the purple compounds for weapons. Even barrels require 4. Armoring.. 4. Mods... 4. Enhancements... 4.

So using a custom chest armor and pitting it against a ready-to-go lvl35 crafted artifact one displays very well how much more effort it is to reach the same stats. Sure, as it was pointed out, the stat distribution might be off for trainer-bought schematics, but there are indeed ALOT of schematics out there to be found. Many of them, especially for armstech, are just very rare. Personally, I'm a fan of artifact gear while leveling. If you equip them right at the lvl-requirement they boost your stats and prowess immensely, and additionally, net you the same quantity of stats as blue prototype gear 4 or 5 levels higher than your purple item.

Thanks Corso.

Good point about the materials cost of moddable vs Tier 2 artifact.

Personally I see many players using moddable rather than crafted armor due to the large amount of mods available from commendations vendors.

My Bounty Hunter has a moddable Helmet and Blaster, both of which I keep updated entirely from game rewards and commendations.

The biggest question mark on Armormech usefulness at Lvl 50 is whether we can crit on moddable and top tier items, and whether they will introduce new high level schematics that are equal or better than top modded gear and PvP gear.

Regards

Wolf

My biggest issue is that even for myself, I would like to choose an orange armor set I like the look of and use the mods from my pvp gear in it. The problem is, the pvp gear gives special attack bonuses which only work if I am wearing that armor set (at least 2 or 4 pieces of it). I am hoping the devs make a solution in the future to make our skill class worthwhile. I was thinking of just respec'ing to something else but I think ill just stick with it for now and use and alt for another skill.

In the meantime, I had posted a thread regarding pricing strategy. As you mentioned in your post, the resource cost can be quite expensive. How are you setting a price on the market - for instance, on my server there doesn't seem to be much competition. I have been focusing on purples and there is simply no other armormechs posting these on GTN. Do you have a formula or anything or just kinda guestimating?

Hi SoNoFud,

To be honest I have not tried to sell any gear yet, My guild is pretty tight knit so anything I have "spare" is going to them. Most of the time I am reverse engineering anything I make for mats and new schematics. I am assuming there will come a "break even" point when I can craft some gear to sell.

I will be honest, I have sacrificed a lot of credits in pushing my crafting skills. I am not a min/maxer and I do not Zerg, so my Credit balance is always low. I have made a deliberate choice on my Armormech crafter to spend the credits on crafting, so I have no speeder and have yet to pass lvl 40 as I am spending a lot of time gathering/crafting and sending companions on missions.

I tend to be a bit of a completionist in games, so my Armormech crafter is more designed around maximising the crafting abilities so I can eventually have every schematic at every level (Yes I am insane). Whether that will lead to making credits off the trade market later in the game I don't know. Chances are, anything I make will be ploughed back into materials for more crafting LOL.

On a larger note, from my experience in MMO's, the global market will fluctuate a lot over the next few months and then probably settle into a standard high inflationary model. Until we have that cross server stability, it is hard to put any kind of reliable price model on crafted gear.

I think we all have to wait and see

Regards

Wolf

My biggest question is can we make anything other than armour?

The other skills seem able to make multiple items (armstech = weapons+mods, bio = medpacks+stims+implants, cyber = mods+ear+ship+grenades+mounts {blimey!}), what 'specials' do we get for levelling this profession?

Edited by Azkadellia

Hi Azkadellia,

Crafting is pretty much set up in such a way that it requires cooperation between players, whether in a Guild orjust through general chat.

Armormech provides Medium and Heavy Armour for specific classes, and at its est requires Augments from others.

Regards

Wolf

Hi wolf, great guide, I really appreciate it.

I have found that Tier 2 purple items almost always require a rare purple mat to manufacture. Like yourself I was going to GTN for these mats, but I have recently heard unconfirmed info that if your crew member has a high level of affection for you, they will be more likely to crit on missions and supply more of the rare purple mats. I'm working on this now, but if true its a pretty key component to making Armormech viable for crafting and selling armor items above blue.

If you don't have the schematic it is an easy target as you can RE the basic schematic until you get the Redoubt version. Then RE the Redoubt version until you get the Veracity. Then you just need to keep crafting the Veracity until I get a crit roll and add the Augment slot (assuming this is possible). Job done

NO NO NO....You can just as easly RE the blue version over and over till you get all versions of the Epic..You dont have to waste mats crafting the purple ones and RE them.

The other mechanic in Armormech crafting is the chance to roll a "crit" when creating an item. When you craft an item there is a small % chance of creating an Exceptional (Advanced) version of the item. What this does is add an additional mod slot to the item to allow the installation of Augments. Augmentable items have a (Exceptional) or (Advanced) tag added

This is partially incorrect

Green>> Exceptional

Blue>> Advanced

Blue receipts that you have learned from your trainer and RE to Tier 3 will have the Advanced Tag when critted

Tier 3 RE recipes you have learned will yield a Mastercraft Tag when critted

Artifact recipes from Hardmodes when critted will yield an Exceptional Tag

If you dont belive me make a toon on Lord Adraas server, pst Rosta on imp side and I can link you items. im not posting SS

Edited by apacheFX

I have found that Tier 2 purple items almost always require a rare purple mat to manufacture. Like yourself I was going to GTN for these mats, but I have recently heard unconfirmed info that if your crew member has a high level of affection for you, they will be more likely to crit on missions and supply more of the rare purple mats. I'm working on this now, but if true its a pretty key component to making Armormech viable for crafting and selling armor items above blue.

Tier 3 artifact recipes will always require a artifact mat. Currently only Rich yeild underworld trading missions reward artifact mats.

My biggest question is can we make anything other than armour?

The other skills seem able to make multiple items (armstech = weapons+mods, bio = medpacks+stims+implants, cyber = mods+ear+ship+grenades+mounts {blimey!}), what 'specials' do we get for levelling this profession?

You get artifact Bracers/Belt recipe that are BOP at skill 400, they require a material from HM's to craft and are equal to Tier 2 PVE items

Tier 3 artifact recipes will always require a artifact mat. Currently only Rich yeild underworld trading missions reward artifact mats.

What is Tier 3, oranges? Those UT missions don't always give you a purple mat, does companion affection have anything to do with odds of getting one?

NO NO NO....You can just as easly RE the blue version over and over till you get all versions of the Epic..You dont have to waste mats crafting the purple ones and RE them.

Hi apacheFX,

Thanks for the clarification on the naming scheme for crit crafted items, I have updated the guide to reflect this.

As to your comment above, I was suggesting, that if you wanted to craft a specific augmentable tier 2 item, once you had the tier 2 schematic you would repeat craft it until you got the crit roll. I will look at the wording of what I have written and see if I can make it clearer.

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you liked the guide.

Regards

Wolf

Hi Arch-Stanton,

Thanks for the feedback I am glad you found the guide helpful.

As far as I know for certain, crew affection only effects efficiancy (the speed at which you do the missions). Certain crew members come with crit bonuses for missions, which increases the chance of getting rare mats from the missions. I would not however rule it out that greater affection could boost the crit chance. I haven't been tracking this but would love to hear back from you if you gather any evidence.

In the meantime, you might find the following post helpful.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=132015

Regards

Wolf

Did Armstech instead of armor. Maxed it by level 32 and did not make a single weapon. Until you get the lv 400 orange plans, it's better to just keep crafting and reversing your mods for the epics, and upgrading your orange quest given gear with them instead of making actual weapons/armor.

Hi Arch,

I can confirm that this is true. I have a high number of critical missions as a BH with Gault who is at 8k Affection while Skadge who is at -1000 I bascially never critical.

Also to add to the general knowlege of the thread.

Im currently working my way through my own fully crafted set at level 50 (Head, Belt, Bracers, Boots, Chest, Pants).

Using the level 49 patterns I craft the greens until i get Rebout blues (Critical seems more comon) and then craft the Rebout blues until i get the Purple love which is ilvl 129 or something around this level.

RE'in a purple crafted I recieved the same materials that RE'in a Green provided and likewise with blues HOWEVER, there is a chance to recieve the rare material you used in the creation process.

I have 2 questions at this time: Patterns that are learnt outside of the trainer. Can they be improved to a secondary tier? For example I have a pair of nice Blue pants that come from a level 50 recipe. Can I re' these into an Epic version? My current feeling is no, I can't and that it is only possible with trainer learnt recipes. It would be great to get some information about this as I gave up on trying after the 12th RE'in attempt.

Second question: Can we RE epic items into Legendary?

My initial thought is no however, looking at the trainer taught epics i find them SERIOUSLLY lacking in stats. Aim+Endurance+Defense. Pathetic. The Green level gloves I developed into epic level have low aim and endurance but have presence (fml), defense, absorption, alacrity and i think one other stat.

In closing, Armortech seems to provide less spiked stats and a much across the board stat increase.

Thanks Wolf for putting this together.

If you have any questions feel free to contact me *Uurdz @ The Swiftsure.

It is unlikely that I will keep up to date with this thread.

U can upgrade lvl 50 blues to lvl 50 purples via RE...its just seems that the % is very small for it. It took me way over 100 REs to get the purples but the 'good' part is that 'cause ur REing blues there's only 3 different purples to get(critical, overkill and redoubt).

The only problem is that with couple of days of Ilum and Belsavis daylies u get enough and better mods that anyone can make with bigger stats u get from pretty much anything anyone can craft(the rakata bop stuff is useful thou)...even the schematics from ops and hard modes are not up the bar with stuff that drops...they just need blue AND purple parts from hard modes and ops.

Hi Arch,

I have 2 questions at this time: Patterns that are learnt outside of the trainer. Can they be improved to a secondary tier? For example I have a pair of nice Blue pants that come from a level 50 recipe. Can I re' these into an Epic version? My current feeling is no, I can't and that it is only possible with trainer learnt recipes. It would be great to get some information about this as I gave up on trying after the 12th RE'in attempt.

Second question: Can we RE epic items into Legendary?

My initial thought is no however, looking at the trainer taught epics i find them SERIOUSLLY lacking in stats. Aim+Endurance+Defense. Pathetic. The Green level gloves I developed into epic level have low aim and endurance but have presence (fml), defense, absorption, alacrity and i think one other stat.

Thanks Fordring,

As far as I am aware there is no diference in the Tier progression between schematics obtained from the trainer and those from elsewhere. I have personally made Tier 2 RD-13B Striker Greaves (Lvl 20).

I cannot answer yout second question yet

Regards

Wolf

Thanks a lot for the effort in this great guide. I was pretty lost and since I read this guide, I'm crafting like crazy with my level 20 Bounty Hunter.

I have 3 questions though:

- Maybe it's just bad luck, but my RE almost never provide schematics. I've spent A LOT of materials for like 4-5 new schematics... Is it possible to improve the RE % chances to extract new schematics and if yes, how?

- My Armormech level is stuck at 60. I keep crafting, but it doesn't improve. Why is that?

- Before logging out, I always send Mako and my starship droid to Scavenging and Underworld Trading missions. Some missions cost more, some missions cost less in the same listing. What's the difference between the missions according to the price? Is it worth it to send a companion in a 500 credits instead of a 245 credits one?

Thanks a lot guys, for the original post and to the many replies!

Thanks a lot for the effort in this great guide. I was pretty lost and since I read this guide, I'm crafting like crazy with my level 20 Bounty Hunter.

I have 3 questions though:

- Maybe it's just bad luck, but my RE almost never provide schematics. I've spent A LOT of materials for like 4-5 new schematics... Is it possible to improve the RE % chances to extract new schematics and if yes, how?

- My Armormech level is stuck at 60. I keep crafting, but it doesn't improve. Why is that?

- Before logging out, I always send Mako and my starship droid to Scavenging and Underworld Trading missions. Some missions cost more, some missions cost less in the same listing. What's the difference between the missions according to the price? Is it worth it to send a companion in a 500 credits instead of a 245 credits one?

Thanks a lot guys, for the original post and to the many replies!

1. Check out the RE guide sticky at top of crew skills form

2. when you craft, you can sort items by "difficulty". More difficult items will advance your crafting skill, less difficult items will not if the difficulty is too low.

3. More expensive missions yield more resources. Just before the mission cost, it should say "Moderate", "Abundant", or "Rich" Yield. This is relatively how much of the item you will bring home as compared to other missions.

1. Check out the RE guide sticky at top of crew skills form

2. when you craft, you can sort items by "difficulty". More difficult items will advance your crafting skill, less difficult items will not if the difficulty is too low.

3. More expensive missions yield more resources. Just before the mission cost, it should say "Moderate", "Abundant", or "Rich" Yield. This is relatively how much of the item you will bring home as compared to other missions.

I thank you sir! :)

So, for the difficulty, everything has a gray dot next to it, except the Professional Chestguard armor, which is yellow. Now, since I don't get any more Armormech from like all the the items I can craft, should I stop crafting at the moment and continue my quest line to unlock new schematics at the crew skill vendor?

EDIT: changing the "Difficulty" for "Level", I noticed that all my schematics are for Level 9 equipment, except the Chestguard armor which is level 11. I really need to find more schematics, but how?

Edited by DownyTif

What is Tier 3, oranges? Those UT missions don't always give you a purple mat, does companion affection have anything to do with odds of getting one?

I belive th OP has confused everyone....I'll explain

Tier 1 Green's/Basic

Tier 2 Blue's/Protype's

Tier 3 Purple/Artifact's

Orange items are not in the Tier scheme, Orange merely denotes a Modable Item.

Crew Affection has not to do with the outcome of UWT missions, only missions with a tag of "Rich" will reward artifact/purple quality mat's

Hi apacheFX,

Thanks for the clarification on the naming scheme for crit crafted items, I have updated the guide to reflect this.

As to your comment above, I was suggesting, that if you wanted to craft a specific augmentable tier 2 item, once you had the tier 2 schematic you would repeat craft it until you got the crit roll. I will look at the wording of what I have written and see if I can make it clearer.

Thanks for the feedback and I am glad you liked the guide.

Regards

Wolf

1. Please stop calling Purple/Artifact's Tier 2, For Armormech they are Tier 3 Recipes.

2. It is still insanely cheaper to RE from blue/protetype qaulity than Purple.....You can't relearn the same recipe twice so why RE purple...Just RE blue's.

Edited by apacheFX

Crew Affection has not to do with the outcome of UWT missions, only missions with a tag of "Rich" will reward artifact/purple quality mat's

Then does crew affection have ANYTHING to do with missions, mats, or crafting? I've seen several more people reference high affection increasing likelihood of critical mat, and you're the only person I've found so far who says no. I'm willing to believe either side, but do you (or anyone) have any evidence to this fact? FAQ, manual, etc.?

Right now this crew forum if friggin impossible to read, because crafting and missions success are dictated by probabilities based on unknown variables, no one knows the algorithms, the majority of the people on here don't understand probability math, and everything is a speculative cluster flock.

I thank you sir! :)

So, for the difficulty, everything has a gray dot next to it, except the Professional Chestguard armor, which is yellow. Now, since I don't get any more Armormech from like all the the items I can craft, should I stop crafting at the moment and continue my quest line to unlock new schematics at the crew skill vendor?

EDIT: changing the "Difficulty" for "Level", I noticed that all my schematics are for Level 9 equipment, except the Chestguard armor which is level 11. I really need to find more schematics, but how?

I started with a few schematics, RE'd some of them up to Tier 3 purples, and then looked for better schematics. I've found a few on Underworld Trading (though I usually get synthweaving schematics from there), very few random drops, and I've bought the majority from Armormech crew skills vendors.

If I find i'm not increasing my armormech skill by crafting, or i'm having to go back and look for Scavenging or Underworld Trading mats that are below the top grade of missions available, then its time to move on and look for new schematics. Only exception is when I've found a few niches for items that sell well on the GTN. But I've found making money and leveling are mutually exclusive, typically you're either farming/crafting/RE'ing for leveling up skills, or you're just crafting for money. Its hard to sell stuff when you're constantly RE'ing back into scrap :)

"Difficulty" seems to be inversely proportionate to "Rating". From my personal experience, Tier 1 items typically have a higher "Difficulty" than the Tier 2 or Tier 3 counterparts of that same item. I think this is to encourage Armormechs to diversify their offerings rather than just focus on a single item family (so you can't continuously increase your Armormech skill by just focusing on all the variations of a single family of Heavy Boot, for example). Armormech skill improvement is frontloaded on the lower tier items of a family.

"Level" is the min level a character will need to equip the item. Typically, the higher the 'level' of the Tier 1 item, the greater the initial 'difficulty' and the 'rating'. Tier 2 items of the same family will have the same 'level' as Tier 1 but with a slightly lower 'difficulty' and a higher 'rating'. Tier 3 items will have the same 'level' as Tiers 1 and 2, but with the lowest 'difficulty' of the family and the highest 'rating'.

lol, sorry for superlongpost