Swtor combat vs Wildstar

CoppDog

Well I thought I would give Wildstar a try.. After levelling to about level 11 I think it's pretty good.. But it really misses the full voice acting of Swtor.. I hate reading text... Wildstar does have a great combat system though that really keeps the game fun.. I so wish swtor had this combat system.

I got level 30 on a medic and quit. After your initial attacks it takes way to many builder to attack again, really slows combat down IMO.

I also tried healing in the first adventure and it's just chaos. Tanks don't realize when healing there is a 2nd resource pool and they just jump in when I'm not charged and wipe the group.

Well I thought I would give Wildstar a try.. After levelling to about level 11 I think it's pretty good.. But it really misses the full voice acting of Swtor.. I hate reading text... Wildstar does have a great combat system though that really keeps the game fun.. I so wish swtor had this combat system.

I'd rather have other mechanics and features that are FUNDAMENTAL to MMOs rather than full voice acting. Who plays MMOs for leveling? lol

At its core all they did was make all skills AoE's, its hardly revolutionary.

Pretty much this. I played WS as well. I'm no longer playing it. It's not for me for many reasons. The combat was ok, but the telegraphing especially as it relates to aoe just became ridiculous. In group content it was terribad. It got to the point where it became nothing more than a button mash because you couldn't tell what was going. The mob aoe's telegraphed combined with the player attacks being telegraph coupled with the cutesy special effects of all of them is enough to give you a seizure.

Nah... you can keep that combat.

I'd rather have other mechanics and features that are FUNDAMENTAL to MMOs rather than full voice acting. Who plays MMOs for leveling? lol

The majority of the playerbase. Especially in a game like this.

If this is a "which you think is better" thread, then I personally prefer wildstar's simply because it's new and different, as opposed to swtor which pretty much follows most other mmos I've played.

I certainly applaud any game that attempts to tweak or break the mold and try something different. In the long run, it will no longer be new and whatever more people find fun will be what is important.

*waves* I do. I like grinding out my levels. I suppose it comes from playing Korean grinders, but yeah, that's why I play...to level. When I get to max, I'm done. I don't give a flying fig about about ops and end game crap.

PS. Does anyone know if there is a trial period or something like it, for Wildstar? I'd like to try, but I'm not eager to part with 70$ in case I might not dig it. :)

Edited by Lunafox

*waves* I do. I like grinding out my levels. I suppose it comes from playing Korean grinders, but yeah, that's why I play...to level. When I get to max, I'm done. I don't give a flying fig about about ops and end game crap.

PS. Does anyone know if there is a trial period or something like it, for Wildstar? I'd like to try, but I'm not eager to part with 70$ in case I might not dig it. :)

I would like to know this too - want to try it but do not want to part with that much cash if I end up hating it.

I do. If SW:TOR was just another grindfest, I would never have started playing it. Granted, I do enjoy endgame activities with my friends, but the story content is what makes this game unique and worth playing.

I certainly applaud any game that attempts to tweak or break the mold and try something different. In the long run, it will no longer be new and whatever more people find fun will be what is important.

Me too.

Wildstar has tried some things out, and that is great for this genre. (And the best ideas will be seen in some shape in the next [whenever that'll be] SW MMO so it is a 'good thing.) Sure, the telegraphs are really just the fact that all skills are AOE, but it is a clever take. The paths (soldier, explorer, etc) are neat, even if (soldier at least) is just (as far as I played) getting to beat waves of adds in locations.

And it is unique: it has its own sense of humour and the artstyle certainly shows the team's roots to vanilla WoW, even if it is more Ratchet and Clank than WoW.

But for me: I found it held you by the hand too much. And I think the same was true in GW2. It seems that this new generation of MMOs takes quest markers to a too-great degree. Hell, WS has a function to show you a nice glowing arrow to follow to get to your next stage of the quest. And by default everything appears on your map so I didn't feel like I was 'exploring' anything. And the humour was a little too much of a CoD crowd hyped on sugar for me: LEVEL UP! AWESOME! And, funny enough, even though after the gazilionth time you hear something and so spacebar-tap your way through a dialogue, the lack of VA was jarring.

Anyways, I wish it the best. It'll certainly have its audience. And, perhaps I am a rare gaming consumer, but I like competition as it drives the genre forward. The next MMO we all play will have its developers taking the best from GW2, ESO, and WS into their mix. So, thanks Carbine for trying something new!

*looks at signature*

:jawa_redface:

*raises hand* Err....me?

The leveling experience is FUNDAMENTAL to MMOs. Sadly, too many people think of it as a speedbump on the way to their Skinner Box endgame.

Edited by Master-Nala

I got overwhelmed by the cheer amount of quests, you are in point A go to point B and killed 25 of these in the way there kill 15 of these, when you get to B go kill 15 back at A and 35 between A and B, exactly the same point you already were before. :D

*points down* all but one of those are 55 and there's another lvl36 I haven't added yet. TOR's levelling experience is (vastly) superior to WS's. WS's story and lore seem interesting, but their storytelling blows chunks. I'm dreading working through some alts.

My SW main is a Combat Sentinel, my WS main is a Stalker. WS's combat is... different. It seems way more button-mashy. OTOH I'm not at end-game yet and haven't really smoothed out my priority/rotation. I'm not particularly enamored of their Limited Action Set, but again I haven't optimized them so maybe it'll grow on me.

If I sound lukewarm about WS, I am. I've just run out of entertaining things to do in TOR. I've been in wait-and-see mode since January and my tolerance is exhausted. WS will keep me occupied for a few months at least.

A lof of people. You are minority here and most of your kind left 2 years ago

I hated that combat system and would never want it in SWTOR. Glad you enjoy Wildstar, I hate it with a passion.

Seconded. Amazing that different games have different styles of development. Thank God for that - imagine all the QQing about "Clones" if every single MMO in existence copied WoW. I for one, and glad that most developers actually do different things with their games. After all, that's why it is fun to play different games. Otherwise we would all just be sitting here playing the newest version of Wizardry as the only game in existence.

Right here! I tried WS during the beta, and only made it to lvl 5-6 b4 I couldn't take it anymore. Didn't like the controls and the read the text non-voiced style of quest was a major turn off for me.

Pretty much this. I played WS as well. I'm no longer playing it. It's not for me for many reasons. The combat was ok, but the telegraphing especially as it relates to aoe just became ridiculous. In group content it was terribad. It got to the point where it became nothing more than a button mash because you couldn't tell what was going. The mob aoe's telegraphed combined with the player attacks being telegraph coupled with the cutesy special effects of all of them is enough to give you a seizure.

Nah... you can keep that combat.

Heh.. this was my impression as well. Maybe we are a little too "old school" :p

I have to say though... the combat mechanics are gold for attracting kids to the MMO though..... since it is a button mashers dream. Couple that with the cutesy factor of the design style and I think they will have plenty of kids playing.

Edited by Andryah

WS's combat is... different. It seems way more button-mashy. OTOH I'm not at end-game yet and haven't really smoothed out my priority/rotation.

From the way SW:TOR's players complain about their screen being full of "red error text", I'm guessing a lot of them are playing in a button-mashy way. I see a red error text maybe once or twice a minute when fighting, and it doesn't bother me at all.