A Conversation of Conservation: Your Thoughts; Experiences, Mergers Etc.

ChidoriOokami

Greetings inhabitants of Pot5 ^^

I have heard many things about you and your server, many good things! No server is perfect but each one has something its people love!

I come to you wondering a few things. The purpose of these topics/questions is to start a good discussion and also show everyone in the community including BW and site owners that we do care and do think about these kinds of things.

Please refrain from bashing and also please refrain from complaining about developers or specific individuals. Please present in a mature and thoughtful way.

(1) How are things going for you in your server?

(a) What are some strengths? What contributes to those strengths?

(b) What are some weaknesses? What are some possible causes in your opinion?

(2) What was one fun RP you participated in and/or heard of in your server?

(3) What are your thoughts on Server-Merging?

(a) When does it become necessary?

(b) How often do you think about it?

© Which servers would you want to merge with if ever?

Thank you very much for reading and I hope the inhabitants of Pot5 will be able to use this as a way to express their thoughts on these certain topics in an organized and respectful way for all players and developers alike. v^_^

Edited by ChidoriOokami

This is a cute initiative. I approve, and so will respond. :)

(1) How are things going for you in your server?

As a more PVE-focused player who likes the risk of being on an open-world PVP server, things for me are going very well. Being in a PVE-focused guild with a fair number of guild members, while I can't get pick-up groupfinders for flashpoints or operations to pop, I can almost always get something done with a group from within the guild. So while the lack of population on my server makes me sad, at the same time, the community I've found, I love.

(a) What are some strengths? What contributes to those strengths?

For me, it's the people I've met who have stuck around on the server that is awesome. Even those people who are not in guild but I have met throughout my relatively short time actually playing (less than a year) has been great. Like all servers, there are trolls, but I find once you've found some good people, it really opens the server up to being more vibrant and alive than one would expect given the low population (especially on Pub side).

(b) What are some weaknesses? What are some possible causes in your opinion?

One of the weaknesses, I think, is basically the low population here makes it difficult for people to experience the full breadth of the game on this server. I have guild-mates who have alts on Harbinger just so they can get GSF pops, and during low points, getting Republic PVP to pop at all is near-impossible even at max-level. I think part of this is that sometimes people just don't know what to expect when they join an open-world PVP server and decide they don't like it and leave (because, let's face it, even with down-leveling, a max-level PVPer on Alderaan is going to destroy someone leveling in PVP), and I also think part of it is that when an open-world PVPer/troll decides to park themselves in such a way as to farm people who are questing on either side, the general community is either slow to respond or the response is, "Get better." Which I think is because people have chosen PVP servers not necessarily because they are that interested in Open-World, but interested in declaring their desire for PVP queues. So the people exploring in open-world get put off because they don't get faction help, and the hardcore PVPers leave because they don't get the queues they're interested in (unless, of course, they queue on Imperial side--what with its population being almost three times that of the Republic side). And even then, you're still waiting on queues on Imperial side at times, so... yeah...

I have no idea how to fix that, but it seems to be a problem to me.

My guild doesn't really participate in RP activities. And I don't really, either. I guess the closest I come to it is in playing through storyline, and trying to make sure my characters' choices match what I've decided their core personalities will be. But that's about it. I've got a guild-mate or two who sometimes respond as though they are their characters every now and again, but no heavy RPing. I think there is an RP guild on the server, but I think it's also very small.

I wouldn't mind server merging if it meant more population. I would quite like it, especially if whole guilds (and ships!) could move, too. That said, I think that cross-server queueing for certain things would help, or, at least on this server, making the queues cross-faction. No more Pub v. Imp or Imp v. Imp, but a mix of both. I know the newer WZs will allow that, but the older ones, and GSF, should, too. And with operations and FPs. It would greatly help this server even with the population it has if they decided to fully commit to the current storyline of everyone being the Outlander and made factions no longer relevant in that sense.

(a) When does it become necessary?

I think it's already necessary here, given the fact that I know people who can sit in queue for hours and get nothing on this server, depending on what they're doing and whether they're queueing with others.

(b) How often do you think about it?

Regularly enough, I suppose. Not daily or anything, but certainly enough, mostly because of the nature of this server and the desire for warzones here.

© Which servers would you want to merge with if ever?

That's the rub, isn't it? I'd almost be happiest if they simply combined all of the North American PVP servers (even the RP ones). They'd have to choose a central location, so that everyone has an equally good/crappy ping, but I honestly don't know if that would solve anything, mostly because this server, aside from Harbinger, is the only one I've known. And, I also don't PVP much despite being on a PVP server. But I recognize that's what most people, on my server, at least, are here for.

Edited by RM_NV

(2) You're asking the wrong crowd here. Having played on Pot5 most my gaming time here, RP is the most made fun of form of gaming there is on that server. RPers were not even welcome. Hence why we always said Pot5 would not be merged with an RP server. The players were way too toxic.

(3) Should have happened a LONG time ago. Long before every one had to leave on their own. :mad:

Very interesting responses!

As a humble Public Relations Officer I would have to agree with pretty much all the points that have been brought up by CaptRogue and RM_NV.

Server population seems to contribute to weaknesses in the server, which may be obvious but why then do people still stay after many have left to other more population servers?

If the community on Pot5 indeed does not overall enjoy or respect RPs it may be very hard for a casual RPer to feel comfortable even in an RP chat channel. That being said, perhaps the right amount of WPvP could help toxic player activity decrease a bit. (Thoughts?)

It is an interesting point to bring up the relationship between players who like PvP/PvE and those who like RP/PvP/PvE. Especially in context of a server merge-- could this be why we have not seen any mergers? What do you think about the attitude of the general community in either Pot5 or any given server?

Fun/Extra Credit Assignment (?) :)

Try asking any of the discussion questions previously or above in your guild chats, or world chats. Post any interesting or insightful responses here! Rude and/or trollish responses need not be quoted but may be referenced or briefly paraphrased.

Edited by ChidoriOokami

Server population seems to contribute to weaknesses in the server, which may be obvious but why then do people still stay after many have left to other more population servers?

If the community on Pot5 indeed does not overall enjoy or respect RPs it may be very hard for a casual RPer to feel comfortable even in an RP chat channel. That being said, perhaps the right amount of WPvP could help toxic player activity decrease a bit. (Thoughts?)

It is an interesting point to bring up the relationship between players who like PvP/PvE and those who like RP/PvP/PvE. Especially in context of a server merge-- could this be why we have not seen any mergers? What do you think about the attitude of the general community in either Pot5 or any given server?

Stubbornness. Sheer stupidity over being stubborn for the most part. Least that's my take on it.

They want OWPvP (although the true sense of that hasn't happened in forever.) they want to be able to gank any person any level wherever they see them. Instead of transferring & flagging themselves on the server they choose, like some do on Harb, they stay on Pot5 & organize OWPvP events, which is IMO, stupid & not the sense of OWPvP.

OWPvP events on occasion sure but true OWPvP is random, not knowing when it will occur or who or how many will come out to play. (RP OWPvP is different on this somewhat.)

The events that they try to get going on Pot5 are just two guilds saying he we are going to be here at this time. Stupid when all they have to do is group up & queue WZs. Again my opinion, but I don't want a part of that.

Hence why the husband & I left that server, along with pretty much all guild mates on all guilds were part of; imperial & republic. lol Harbinger, Shadowlands, & JC are were we all ended up.

(There is other reasons some wont transfer either. Have one specific person in mind...*smh* lol)

No amount of OWPvP will help the attitude towards RPers. lol They think they're weird for the most part.

Think of one those 6 pic meme's that say "what my friends think I do, my family, what I really do, etc...". That's what most Pot5 players think of in regards toward RPing.

Which to some degree is fine, because after all it is not an RP server. We would always say "RP servers are that way. ---->" or something like that.

BUT if there is another server type included to the PvP, then yes they need to respect & go on their own way if they don't like what's being done.

Yes; that is why they have not merged JM to Pot5. Or anything to Pot5. Pot5 will have to be merged into something else. Or well would have. Now as it is a ghost town, I'm not sure the take on RP is now. There might still be some toxicity towards RPers.

Sadly though, the Pot5 toxicity has spread to most PvE servers: Harb, SL, JC...

Check this post out for proof: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=820385

Again some of that is opinion derived from playing there so long.

Excellent and interesting points again Capt. Rogue!

I think in order for me to fully understand perspectives of people on the different servers including yourself and also _NV, I would have to try them out for myself. Until then I guess I cannot say too much in regards to other servers and what goes on, and how it goes on. I will instead continue to issue questions for discussion ^^

Also thank you, Capt. Rogue for the link. That thread did shed some light on one facet of of their community. I suppose every server has its pop. of toxic players and gankers.

This raises an interesting question and opinion-generator!

What is the relationship between PvPer population and Gankers/Toxics -- Given the servers in question include PvP elements, which may or may not include other options (ie PvE, RP)? Can one assume that a population dominated by PvP-lovers in a Non-RP tolerant environment is more likely to contain toxic players than a population of PvP-lovers in an RP tolerant environment?

If I were to take the role of a casual player on Jung Ma, my own home server and take my own stand and opinion, I would just offer what I have observed in the limited time that I have been playing.

I feel that the level of toxicity and ganking is relatively low. That being said, the population isn't as high as say, Hawk lol. Most cases that I have witnessed are OWPvP which normally look more like ambushes or playful games that stealthers like to play. (Run around and stun the target all across the map). However I cite one occasion where I was confronted by a Sith, doing his missions and I accidentally forgot to set my Comp. to passive, so though I tried to help him, my comp attacked the Sith player. A swift apology and the Sith simply let it go with a "Go before I change my mind." (Keep in mind he was about 12 levels higher than me)

I suppose every server has its pop. of toxic players and gankers.

This x100. Though I can't speak to the Imperial side because I mostly play Republic, while there is some toxicity in general chat and some players are toxic, it's not the whole. Not even close. And usually, you hear those people complain in general chat, get ignored, then move on to another server (usually Shadowlands, it seems) because, "This server is dead." Mostly because nobody responds to their taunts and then we start all ignoring them and they get fewer to no pops for anything anymore. In a way, our smaller population has started killing the trolls. If I put one troll on ignore who likes to play in the morning, I'm no longer matched with them in queues, and if I get in first, they ain't comin' along. It's kind of a funny result of the player base being so small to begin with--again, especially on Pub side. You still see PVP smack talk every now and again, but it seems to be much more generalized and have less one-on-one calling out that I've seen (so someone just venting and saying, "God, Republic players suck at PVP!"). Overall, I'm unworried about trolls. Plus, for OWPvP, once you get into a guild, you'll have backup for if you're getting harassed, mostly. It's just that calls in general chat to the faction in general don't seem to get a good response.

This raises an interesting question and opinion-generator!

What is the relationship between PvPer population and Gankers/Toxics -- Given the servers in question include PvP elements, which may or may not include other options (ie PvE, RP)? Can one assume that a population dominated by PvP-lovers in a Non-RP tolerant environment is more likely to contain toxic players than a population of PvP-lovers in an RP tolerant environment?

If I were to take the role of a casual player on Jung Ma, my own home server and take my own stand and opinion, I would just offer what I have observed in the limited time that I have been playing.

I feel that the level of toxicity and ganking is relatively low. That being said, the population isn't as high as say, Hawk lol. Most cases that I have witnessed are OWPvP which normally look more like ambushes or playful games that stealthers like to play. (Run around and stun the target all across the map). However I cite one occasion where I was confronted by a Sith, doing his missions and I accidentally forgot to set my Comp. to passive, so though I tried to help him, my comp attacked the Sith player. A swift apology and the Sith simply let it go with a "Go before I change my mind." (Keep in mind he was about 12 levels higher than me)

There are definitely the playful games. There are also definitely some Imperials (again, I don't have much experience against Republic players) who like to camp the same person again and again and again. I do think that a PVP server that is not as open to RP is more likely to contain toxic players for the simple reason that, I should think, would RPers do warzones, they will act in character. So you're less likely to have someone just out and out say, "You suck, get better, stoopid!" And more likely to have someone say to someone else, "You have failed me for the last time, [Player name]". Not that RPers don't take things seriously, but in RPing and maintaining character facets, there's less... issue with things like a WZ-ragers because people are more likely to want to be respectful of in-universe immersion rather than just outright hating on players. Doesn't mean it may not happen (as someone not on a specifically RP-friendly server, I can't speak to this fact), but that's the way I would think it works. Of course, that's also because, to me, an RP-PVP server is more for those people who see the PVP element as a way to immerse themselves more in storylines and questing and less as the sole focus. I don't really know if that's true or not, but that's how I imagine it to be.

Thank you RM for your thoughts.

If I were to take a position again, I would have to agree with you fully. During the first stages of this experiment I found out that this server forum out of all the others tested, has generated the most effort. [Jung Ma was not tested]

Thank you to everyone who has put in some honest thought and depth into their responses. :)

Refusing to merge PvP servers is lame. It leaves players with a choice of going to a populated server with a rule set not of their choosing vs staying on a wasteland of a server with their preferred rule set.

Of all the Bioware's fails, this is the game breaker for me. I am bitter about it. Trying to play a mmo on a dead server is miserable, but I won't be leveraged onto a pve server.

Update: It seems Bioware is allowing instances of choice on each server. This is a huge step and a solution to the dilemma of many like myself, who wish to play on a pvp server but also wish there to be some population for group activities.

I applaud Bioware for considering the problem and offering what seems to be a very satisfactory solution http://dulfy.net/2016/02/25/swtor-bioware-clarification-on-megaservers/

Edited by MotorCityMan