New Assassins Read up!

eonfoo

To prevent yourself from playing a class you could eventually hate read up.

Rule 1 (This rule will also save you the wrath of Cowflab): You are a not a rogue. If you rolled assassin in the hopes of playing something akin to a wow rogue turn around and head over to the Operative forums.

Please do not make threads asking why you don't do as much damage as an Operative. You are a support/utility class that if played right is completely viable in all aspects of the game.

Rule 2: Stop comparing yourselves to other classes (kind of a follow-up of rule 1). You are playing a class that is unique in it's own way. Thus you won't play like other classes, comparing yourselves to Bounty Hunters is frustrating to everyone who reads your posts. You're not a BH you're not an Ops, don't compare.

Rule 3: Your "niche" in pvp is... You guessed it Support/Jack of All Trades. You have abilities for almost every situation. You have plenty of control/interrupts if played and timed correctly. You must also realize that while all specs are viable you are going to be giving up something in return for the other I.E Survivability vs Burst. You can't have both choose one or the other that fits your play-style.

Rule 4: Probably the most important rule... This is not a face-roll class. If you were looking for the I-win class you're in the wrong place. This class requires an understanding of your surroundings so you can use the right tools for the job. You have Force Shroud great against spell casters... You have deflection another great defensive CD against melee and ranged. If you are darkness you have plenty of tools to protect your teammates/yourself if need be.

Rule 5: If you're going to make a thread to complain about something please do it in an intelligent and respectful way. Plenty of people here who would love to discuss the class without letting it turn into a *****torm.

Or TL;DR Know your **** before you make a thread complaining about something.

If you have read all this and still feel the urge to play a Sin congrats you'll probably have a blast and will probably succeed in your career as a Sith Assassin. Have fun out there!

Love you.

Good post, I don't know why people complain about PvP, from a personal perspective Darkness Tank frakkin pwn (and this is full 31/10 Darkness, not the Madness hybrid, which is even better), spent about 3 hoursish doing PvP today, was ALWAYS top defender, usually 2/3rd on damage and had a decent amount of healing done.

TL;DR: if you think Assassins are bad in PvP, the problem is between the keyboard and the chair, not with the class.

Good post, I don't know why people complain about PvP, from a personal perspective Darkness Tank frakkin pwn (and this is full 31/10 Darkness, not the Madness hybrid, which is even better), spent about 3 hoursish doing PvP today, was ALWAYS top defender, usually 2/3rd on damage and had a decent amount of healing done.

TL;DR: if you think Assassins are bad in PvP, the problem is between the keyboard and the chair, not with the class.

I've never tried the full darkness spec but I'm sure its great. I have extensive experience with the 23/0/18 hybrid and anyone who a) thinks it plays like a tank or b) doesn't do enough damage to kill someone in a timely manner is delusional. IMO it is how the assassin should be played but to each their own.

You have massive AoE, great mobility, a pull, a knockdown and an AoE knockback, can lock people down, can extend your healers life, and choose when and where you fight just as well as any other stealth class. You can play any roll in huttball besides a healer and often times ninja objectives single handedly. We aren't the best skirmishing class but can hold our own when needed. I dont know what else you could possibly ask for besides a healer spec.

Edited by Cowflab

Deception is very much like a rogue.

And as far as I can tell I do more dps than operatives.

You are definitely not a support class.

Assassin dps is great >.>

Also what do you support with? Your slow, which sorcs get too? Your spike, which you can use once?

Darkness certainly plays like a DK more than a rogue, but that is to be expected, as you're kinda doing the very opposite of rogues do, standing in front of a boss and punching it.

Madness has its dots and probably isn't terribly roguelike, but it is the shared tree between sorcs and assassins.

Also what do you support with? Your slow, which sorcs get too? Your spike, which you can use once?

Darkness certainly plays like a DK more than a rogue, but that is to be expected, as you're kinda doing the very opposite of rogues do, standing in front of a boss and punching it.

Madness has its dots and probably isn't terribly roguelike, but it is the shared tree between sorcs and assassins.

I agree with panda! Although OP has merit, this class, depending on what spec you play, has totally different playstyles.

The only utility/support we have is in Darkness, where Madness is a mid-range dps tree and Deception is all about picking your battles and dishing out the pain.

I want to say l2p to anyone who QQs about how crap our damage is (lol, wait) and ultimately that is the bottom line, learning to play, but cmon guys, if you're gonna whine about how bad the class is then re-roll and see if you feel the same way :)

Although I'm still levelling atm, I observed a lvl 49 Operative against my own damage done and could see, clearly, I was dealing a lot more damage than he was (and I was lvl 46)

i lold when i read this

so let us think a second which class is more like the darksin:

has a shield with 8 charges that must be rebuffed every ~12sec

has aoe abilities to tank

every time dmg got avoided/mitigated regens 2% of ressources

ye definitively dk

or maybe the tankadin?

because of this one spell, force pull, u see a dk? i pitty u boy :D

i lold when i read this

so let us think a second which class is more like the darksin:

has a shield with 8 charges that must be rebuffed every ~12sec

has aoe abilities to tank

every time dmg got avoided/mitigated regens 2% of ressources

ye definitively dk

or maybe the tankadin?

because of this one spell, force pull, u see a dk? i pitty u boy :D

I would like to dispute your point, but for the life of me I cannot decipher enough of your post to find one.

Your grammar makes deliberation a practical impossibility.

Fix'd it for you as you seemed a little confused.

You're welcome.

That's pretty much how i see it. Imo, when breaking it down into WoW terms it goes something like this...

Darkness - Plays similar to a Blood DK that can stealth

Deception - Plays like an Enhancement Shaman that can stealth

Madness hybrid - Plays like an Unholy DK that can stealth

Pure Madness - Plays like a Warlock that can stealth and has melee abilities.

Deception - Plays like an Enhancement Shaman that can stealth.

I'm not so sure about this, as from my personal experience, most of a Deception Assassin's DPS seems to come from Maul; an ability which can only be used when you're behind the target.

In this light, I think that Assassins actually do play as WoW Rogues, Assassination Rogues to be more specific, although Assassins admittedly do have a lot more utility.

Stealth - Rogue

Maul - Rogue

Mind Trap - Rogue

Force Cloak _ Rogue

Charge System - Ret Pally

Saber Strike - Deathknight

Thrash - Deathknight

Etc...

All of the classes in SWOTOR seem built off multiple pieces of the WoW versions with a mix of the traditional aspects.

Stealth - Rogue

Maul - Rogue

Mind Trap - Rogue

Force Cloak _ Rogue

Charge System - Ret Pally

Saber Strike - Deathknight

Thrash - Deathknight

Etc...

All of the classes in SWOTOR seem built off multiple pieces of the WoW versions with a mix of the traditional aspects.

No, it really doesn't rofl. You guys need to stop comparing Assassin class to WoW classes, they are entirely different. I play my sin and I dont feel like a rogue, ret pally, or dk.

I faceroll in pvp lol.

This.

Deception spec, with the remainder of points put in Darkness. I think I'm 5/36/0. This class isn't difficult if you spec your character correctly and use all the skills available to you (Assasinate, Lacerate, Low Slash, Spike - not just thrash, maul, shock, repeat).

To me, this class and a high level Jugg are the easiest to PvP with. I never have the top DPS or Protection in Warzones. Ever. But I usually rank in the top 3, if not first, and average 7 medals per round.

I also go in with Dark Charge (and shield generator in off hand), and a reusable med pack. Protection points and healing points are your friend.

Edited by alement

Oh...well so I will say that obviously none of these are exactly like WoW classes, and they are all mashups of different archetypes.

I pored over the talent trees before I ever started the game, and played a bit of assassin in the beta too.

I went into it thinking that darkness was basically a blood dk and deception was a rogue; I haven't been really disappointed in the slightest.

The resource system is very different, force is essentially energy from WoW, it regens at about the same pace and has no scaling based on how much energy you have.

That I think is one of the core things rogues have to worry about, and if you're used to watching energy as a rogue you're pretty much going to do fine. The only difference is you press your saber strike instead of sitting and autoattacking in WoW.

I wrote a whole list of things comparing deception assassins to all 3 types of rogues in my deception thread, and I stand by those comparisons.

I'm not saying that people can't see other classes in the assassin.

What I was rebutting was the OP's opinion that this plays nothing like a rogue. If you go into deception thinking that you're going to play a rogue, you'll be pretty much okay.

I'm not so sure about this, as from my personal experience, most of a Deception Assassin's DPS seems to come from Maul; an ability which can only be used when you're behind the target.

I think your "personal experience" with the Deception assassin must end at level 15 then.

WE ARE NOT DARTH MAULSPAM. God, if I had a buck for everyone who thought that Maul was our primary ability, I'd ... er ... have a lot of money.

Do you know what my hardest hitting abilities are as full deception? Shock and Discharge.

I can't hardly use Maul against another player because of server sync issues, where my target appears to be directly in front of me facing away from me, but in fact is 5 feet ----> that way, facing towards me, and I have no way of knowing exactly where the server got out of sync so I can't even guess.

I only use Maul on dudes directly running away from me (which is stupid, so they are bad, and deserve it) and when EW is up, which it isn't all the time, so this is very situational.

And in PVE ... yeah, you'll use it when EW proc is up, but that's about it.

I think your "personal experience" with the Deception assassin must end at level 15 then.

WE ARE NOT DARTH MAULSPAM. God, if I had a buck for everyone who thought that Maul was our primary ability, I'd ... er ... have a lot of money.

Do you know what my hardest hitting abilities are as full deception? Shock and Discharge.

I can't hardly use Maul against another player because of server sync issues, where my target appears to be directly in front of me facing away from me, but in fact is 5 feet ----> that way, facing towards me, and I have no way of knowing exactly where the server got out of sync so I can't even guess.

I only use Maul on dudes directly running away from me (which is stupid, so they are bad, and deserve it) and when EW is up, which it isn't all the time, so this is very situational.

And in PVE ... yeah, you'll use it when EW proc is up, but that's about it.

That is if Maul doesn't crit. If Maul crits, it's hitting for 2700ish.